PDA

View Full Version : Trying to purchase a domain name

Shiny
12-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Problem is, GoDaddy doesn't seem to be working. They won't authorize my card and I'm doing it through PayPal. It seems other people are having the same issue. Is there another domain/web hosting site that's secure, good, and reasonably priced that I can use so I can finally set up my website?

Rantz
12-31-2011, 10:45 AM
I hear a lot of people are boycotting GoDaddy because of their support of SOPA.

I haven't tried it myself, but I hear lots of good things about HostGator. You could try them out and report back to me if they're any good :D

Shiny
12-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Thank you. I did some shopping around and found these as well: Media Temple, Dotster, Network Solutions, register.com, DreamHost, and iWantmyName.

Rantz
12-31-2011, 05:02 PM
From what I hear, Dreamhost used to be fantastic but not so much anymore. That's just from hearsay though. I haven't heard of the others.

Sylvie
12-31-2011, 08:17 PM
Don't do GoDaddy. On top of being sexist pricks, they're a bad example for the internet (SOPA tit, as Rantz has stated.) Plus, they've stunted Aaron Freed's internet collection.

rubah
12-31-2011, 11:56 PM
last time I renewed my domain, it was with namecheap or enom. Usually domains will come packaged with webhosting for your first year.

as for webhosting, I don't even know who the big players are these days! I thought impressions of dreamhost were still favorable, if admitting they are overpriced.

Rostum
01-03-2012, 12:46 AM
I've never had trouble with GoDaddy, except that their FTP is quite slow at times. I didn't know they were supporting SOPA. Bah, I can't be bothered changing hosts...

Also what did GoDaddy do to be labeled "sexist pricks"?

rubah
01-03-2012, 01:10 AM
You've never seen their super bowl ads, I take it?

Sylvie
01-03-2012, 06:18 AM
They use extremely childish and stupid sex appeal in their commercials to attract business, and no side of it is flattering or respectable. Basically, the premise for all of them, is that there's some dudes and then for no reason there's a promiscuous slutbunny character and when she's about to get nasty, it tells the viewer to go to their website to 'see the rest'. One, this is offensive to males, because it assumes that we're that easily and cheaply turned on to the point of feeding into something that has nothing to with sex. Two, this is offensive to females, because it just uses a bad and gross representation of them.

Rostum
01-03-2012, 09:32 AM
You've never seen their super bowl ads, I take it?

I have not, since the super bowl isn't exactly a major focus if at all over here. In fact, I don't think any of our stations broadcast it at all, only on ridiculously-expensive-cable which have American broadcasters like Fox.

In fact, I don't think I've seen any advertising for GoDaddy over here. I found them in Google, skipped straight to the deals, and it seemed fairly decently priced for what I needed.

I don't like the way they advertise, by the sounds of it, but I don't know if I can be bothered moving hosts and re-setting everything up...