PDA

View Full Version : Sum Up Your 2011!

Pike
12-31-2011, 02:10 PM
How was your year?

Mine:

I started out still in Washington working at a Sears store 45 minutes away from my house. Yeah, the job market was horrible where I was. It was pretty boring and really the only other big thing that happened here was that I started dating Hux in April (oh, and I played lots and lots of games, but that's a given.) In September I got a new job at an Office Max about two minutes from home, but that wasn't very long lived because I decided to move back home to Montana instead! :jess:

So now I'm here working at Kmart, but I'm doing better off financially than I have in a while and I hope to keep saving up (and looking for a better job, of course) so I can pay off my car and have lots of visits with Hux and such :monster: Also I'm just happy to be back home!

Okay EoFF, regale us with your tales of the year!

Hollycat
12-31-2011, 04:16 PM
I'd like to sum up my year with a video, should it please the court
Peter Griffin Plays Black Ops - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=CuVJG6caxGY)

Agent Proto
12-31-2011, 04:49 PM
First half: LoTRO
Second half: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Derp derp.6_9

Madame Adequate
12-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Well I started out crazy, ended up even crazier. Played lots of games, wrote some words (actually quite a lot, but because I dropped one book halfway through I don't have a complete book yet), Jess and I decided we were diverging too greatly in what we desired from life so we broke up, and then I began dating Steph pretty soon after that.

fire_of_avalon
12-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Aside from a few bright spots, 2011 hasn't been great for me. My year began with the death of a friend in a freak accident. It continued with increases in stress at my previous employer, detachment from friends and family, living more and more inside my own mind and doing more and more of absolutely nothing with myself.

I failed to meet most of my goals and felt for the vast majority of the year I was in an inescapable rut. I too often find myself starting over again, resetting myself and making desperate leaps at my goals again instead of moving steadily forward.

I've had some time to think on these things, obviously.

The result of that was the personal realization that it doesn't matter if I'm loved the way I think I want to be, it doesn't matter if I have a group of supportive friends and family like the people I envy or like the TV tells me I need, and it doesn't matter if my experiences with relationships (familial, friendly and more-than-friendly) are typical and follow that of my friends and peers. If the choices I'm making that actually do please me lead me into spinster-dom then a spinster shall I be and proudly so. I can't deny the past that's shaped me into who I am and I can't reach for goals because I want to catch up to everyone else. For the last year I've let covetousness lead me around like a cow in a nose halter without even asking myself why I want what everyone else in my social circle has?

Because they seem happy, and happiness is a hare I've been chasing for a long time with no luck.

Since my best friend's wedding in October, I've found myself pretty often facing this terrifying sinking feeling that I'm just not wired for happiness. That there's some fucked up synapse preventing the good-time chemicals from putting themselves into the right places in my little brain.

But then I got stubborn and indignant again, I regrouped and since then I've been making quick, improvisational changes to my life (as is my nature) to experiment and see what's going to feel better. Thus far, with one slight exception of personal feelings I'm resolving, it's working. I'm making changes for me as opposed to staying miserable for the sake of others' convenience.

I will take the bright and good things 2011 has offered me; the consideration of new and old friends, their new found happiness, my sister's child and my rediscovered sense of self, into 2012.

Sylvie
12-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Don't feel like summing up the whole thing, but it came to a successful end. Some guy kept coming into the place my girlfriend work. Initially, he asked her out for dinner, so I told him it would be wise to stop. He did it again the other day, so I told him that he's not only going to listen to me for real this time, but he's going to go into the store, and he's going to apologize for putting her in an awkward position while she's working. And he did that today.

Laddy
12-31-2011, 09:07 PM
Ugh.

Quindiana Jones
12-31-2011, 10:41 PM
I trolled a lot.

Pike
12-31-2011, 11:17 PM
I just realized I forgot to mention one of the more exciting things that happened to me this year, which was getting a book published (aww jeah)

I hope all of you guys have great years this coming year! <3

rubah
12-31-2011, 11:59 PM
got a degree, moved cross country, got a job.

goal for 2012: get my cat back in my life!

Iceglow
01-01-2012, 12:29 AM
I started off well, with the 3DS Launch finally getting me some recognition at work. Then things sagged horribly with the move to tech and my disappointment at another lateral move. Things improved in the later half of the year with promotion and improved attitude towards work since I got some assurances. However my new years resolutions are simple: Get fitter than I am now, get a new job where I will be happier and preferably, paid more.

Levian
01-01-2012, 12:33 AM
Finished school
got a job
went gay
moved to another town

Hollycat
01-01-2012, 01:30 AM
I just realized I forgot to mention one of the more exciting things that happened to me this year, which was getting a book published (aww jeah)

can I have a copy? I promise to read it!

Tigmafuzz
01-01-2012, 05:50 AM
First 3 months of the year: Got two degrees, a promotion, a new guitar, and a new rifle, then fixed up my computer a bit.
Late April: Was cheated on by girlfriend of 3 years.
May: Lost my job, abandoned plans to move out off apartment, alienated dozens of friends, sold guitar to help pay bills, starved a bit.
June: Almost flunked, was barely able to get out of bed, made a new friend at temp agency.
July: New friend encouraged me to keep getting out of bed, keep going to work, keep going to school, etc.
August: Got my third degree, got my old job back (not the same position exactly, but better) and received my fourth black belt.
September: Turned 19, started feeling a little better about myself, started to get over my ex.
October: Got new roommate, new friend starts hitting on me even though I don't realize it.
November: Used my ridiculous new cash flow to go to Chile with an old friend and visit her family, had a great time.
December: Got back to US, found out my new friend and my roommate both wanted to go out with me, had one date with each, then one date with both, all three of us ended up moving into a new house, continued dating new friend.
Last night: Had a "New Year's Eve, Eve" party with lots of friends and a few friends of friends, stayed up late with ex-roommate (now housemate) and ex-friend (now girlfriend) drinking and playing games.
This morning: Woke up in bed with both of them, high hopes for new year.

She posted a link somewhere to buy it online. I would find it for you, but I'm not that kind of person.

Pike
01-01-2012, 02:47 PM

She posted a link somewhere to buy it online. I would find it for you, but I'm not that kind of person.

It's in my signature. :monster:

Parker
01-01-2012, 04:20 PM
I got into my first real relationship, it sucked towards the end and it turns out she's a little bit crazy but I enjoyed the good parts and I learned a lot about life stuff.

In-and-out of depression most of the year leading to aforementioned relationship suckiness.

Goal next year: stop moaning, htfu, get happy

Shlup
01-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Spent 2011: Trying
Goal for 2012: Succeeding

Peegee
01-02-2012, 04:56 AM
Usually I only travel once a year.

2011 was a whirlwind of hedonism. I'm shocked and disgusted at how I managed to travel so much and eat so much and accomplish absolutely nothing of value.

Yar
01-02-2012, 05:06 AM
Other than San Diego it was pretty meh. Plus I went a bit boy crazy which is never good.

Freya
01-02-2012, 06:05 AM
Let's see. The beginning of 2011 went well for me. I had 3 jobs, paid off my school, bought a car, got a fourth job, finally got health insurance.

Then boys came into the picture. I had a string of seemingly perfect guys this year that either a) cheated on me or b) dropped me suddenly. My problem with guys though is I put a lot of effort into them than they do me. So once I had started back into the dating scene I was focusing on them more than on myself. Which would bite me in the ass when they'd leave.

In march I started antibiotics and off and on for steroids. I had two surgeries in July. I'm still on antibiotics. I have a staff infection that is becoming drug resistant so I can't kick it. I'm down to one part time job. Iost my main income job and the only reason I could afford my car payment was because of the holiday hours.

Overall, 2011 started off well then I dated, which was a bad idea, and ended with me coughing and hella poor.

At least one of those relationships allowed me to have access to visit Justy. Which while the guy was a douche who cheated, I have to thank him for that.

I'm going to focus more on me this year so hopefully things will turn around.

Shiny
01-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Welp, in no particularly order:

I started dating again. It took me a while to get back into it since I just wasn't feeling the whole dating thing for a bit.
I had the opportunity to work on my first feature length movie and I learned many things from that experience. Several things happened that weren't great like having to get Adidas sneakers for a diva producer when ALL of the Foot Lockers in NYC were closed, but a lot of great things also occurred that made it worth it. The best part is, I now have connections to the movie industry in California where I eventually want to venture.
MTV networks contacted me at the end of the year saying they want to set up an interview. Not sure for what channel yet, but they asked what I prefer so I picked 3 of the top ones I'd like to work for. Here's hoping it's a cool internship at a cool channel. HSI also contacted me, but the lady was always too busy to set up an interview and kept changing the date, so I was just like meh.
I finally set up my website. I've been wanting to have my own website for like two years now -- Pontus and Stu can attest to this.
My good friend's aunt got preggers and had said baby December 29th. It has the cutest cheekies ever.

So yeah, it's been a good year and I hope for a great year in 2012.

Araciel
01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Started playing D&D again /nerd
Bought house
Got a raise
winning.

Tigmafuzz
01-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Started playing D&D again /nerd
Bought house
Got a raise
winning.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d111/monkey_monkey_monkey_monkey_monkey/winning-sheen.jpg

Chris
01-02-2012, 09:53 PM
2011 was okay for me. Nothing too exceptional happened, which I consider a good thing.

Rye
01-03-2012, 10:44 PM
First half: A great deal of change in my love life, had a three-way relationship, broke it off with Huxley (but still brosephios), had my heart stomped on and shat on. Fell into a deep depression. Turned 21. Had a fantastic internship opportunity fall apart at my feet.

Second Half: Started a new rising phoenix of a relationship from the pile of crap ashes (still going well and almost hitting our one year soon), started to work hard and improve myself. Lost 20 lbs (I'm the lowest weight I've been at since hitting puberty. I'm between a size 2 and 4 now.) Worked on my online business some more again. Got myself on track to graduate college this May.

All in all, 2011 was a really titty year that grated on my ego and self-confidence, but it caused me to re-prioritize and pick myself up. I'm happy with my weight and the people in my life right now, for the most part. I'm working hard to pick up a lot of freelance copywriting work until I have the time (ie: after I graduate) to do a proper internship.

My goals for 2012 are to get involved with an ad agency, lose another 5 lbs, and expand my online business. I also want to read more and play more video games, and make time to see independent films. I want to try and be less shy. I want to try to work less hard in college and let myself expand my mind, because I've come to the decision that I am not further pursuing higher education (at least until my late 20s), and that I want to just grow as a person, rather than a post-grad automaton. A 3.9 GPA over a happy semester if I'm not applying to grad/law/medical school is not a worthwhile trade.

Jiro
01-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't remember much of it. It was alright I guess.

Bubba
01-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I had an amazing start to 2011. I got to the Grand Final of Open Mic UK 2010 and got to play at the O2 Arena in London! Here's a video of my four-and-a-bit minutes of fame...

Danny Blockley - Open Mic UK 2010 Grand Final - London O2 Arena - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tonp51JzbJc)

I was a bit nervous so needless to say i didn't win but I've had a lot of gigs off the back of it throughout 2011.

After that everything has been pretty much an anti-climax! I did get a promotion at work in September then finally afforded to move into a house by myself in November. That's about as exciting as it gets until my trip to New York in April 2012!

Jessweeee♪
01-05-2012, 02:45 PM
The first half was...well I will just describe it as "depressingly MogiDaddy" but then my aunt committed suicide and while that was tragic it brought a lot of good things my way. She requested my father take care of my cousin and left him her house in the will, so my parents took my two younger siblings up to Iowa and offered to rent their home in Texas to Mogi and me for the price of a really shitty apartment and let me keep one of the cars. Not a week later I was offered a full time job by one of my grandfather's friends. So I am very happy with this year, because I am now financially independent and I'm living in my favorite city ever.

Rantz
01-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Welllll summing up a year in a concise manner is pretty hard but:

Manatees
Uhhh that's all I can think of.

Hollycat
01-06-2012, 05:21 PM
I almost tried out for american idol this year.

Del Murder
01-06-2012, 07:24 PM
I advanced at my job, played more games, and got engaged. Pretty good year.