PDA

View Full Version : Map Size

VeloZer0
01-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I was reading a review of FFT, one of the things that popped up as a con was the small map size.

Personally I think that the small map size is a huge asset to the game. In virtually every other SRPG there is a rather large map that you have to work your way through. You fight against a massively superior enemy force but only have the chance win because they are so spread out, or in many cases because they don't even move until you are within range.

I personally find the FFT set up to be much superior.

Discuss.

Raistlin
01-03-2012, 12:59 AM
I'm a sucker for expansive world maps and exploration, but I didn't mind FFT's system. The lack of a real world map was offset by the fun and engaging battle system. The map itself may be small, but a much larger one would just be unworkable with the battle system as it is, unless the encounter rate was cut proportionally.

The real benefit to a world map is to be immersed into the world as you explore it. While FFT's map was not the most immersive, exploration on the world map was obviously not a focus of the game, as that focus went towards the battle system. With the world map and gameplay as it is, I don't consider a small map size to be much of a con for FFT.

VeloZer0
01-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Sorry, I meant the in battle maps.

chionos
01-03-2012, 06:21 AM
I always found them to be perfectly sized. The smaller size made for more personal battles and limited wasted time. As small as they are, there's still room to kite, which tells me there's plenty of space.

Raistlin
01-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Sorry, I meant the in battle maps.

Oh, that makes more sense. I was wondering why a thread was made on such a trivial issue (for this game anyway). xD

I don't consider the battle maps too small, either. I think they're relatively realistic for the size of the parties involved. On the world map they can be fairly big with plenty of high ground and other terrain features, while inside they tend to be more compact. There was generally always room to carefully consider your movements, which means it suited the battle system.

Admittedly, I haven't played many other SRPGs, so I don't have a ton of experience with other styles of battle maps. But I find it hard to complain about how FFT handled them.

Bolivar
01-05-2012, 10:07 PM
When I was reading manual/guide before booting it up, I remember reading about the small size, I think it's 16x16 max if not smaller, and I was thrown for a loop, thinking it would be too small. But they did an amazing job, and the verticality is certainly a big part of it. It's also excusable because of how awesome the game looks. But more than anything they created some seriously challenging environments for a challenging game.

I also think the combatant limit of 5-6 was a good move. So many SRPGs have the large squads, sometimes it works, but it's easy to get bogged down and lose track of units in the struggle.

I don't know if I would say one style is intrinsically better than the others. In Shining Force I love breaking down my crew into different attack squads, this one to keep the enemy backed up at the front door of the fortress, this one to scale the sides and go around to flank and dismantle their mage troops. Good times!