PDA

View Full Version : Portable Metal Gear!

KentaRawr!
01-05-2012, 12:15 AM
There's already an MGS2 appreciation thread, and that kinda led into a discussion about the main series as a whole, but what about the portable games? Ghost Babel, Portable Ops., Peace Walker, and AC!D? How do you guys feel about those games?

Of those, I've only played Ghost Babel and Portable Ops., and I really like both of them. Perhaps Ghost Babel a bit more than Portable Ops. just because I really enjoy the 2D Metal Gears, and this game pretty much pretended to be Metal Gear 3 with the "style" of MGS1. I lurved it. But I played Portable Ops. a lot more just because of how much replay value it had, admittedly. The story came off as a bit silly at times, more silly than usual, but the multiplayer was pretty addicting. I just beat MGS4 though and now I feel like I'm obligated to get a working PSP again and beat up Peace Walker. That game looks great.

But anyway, which portable Metal Gear is your favorite? I feel like the poll will be a bit unfair, so I debated making this a "Which Non-Canon Metal Gear is your favorite?" poll instead, but then Metal Gears 1 and 2 on the NES would be included, and that'd just be blech. But yeah, which one? (http://youtu.be/Lj7UfgWYHiY)

Bolivar
01-05-2012, 09:58 PM
I hate to say it, but the only one I've played on the list is Peace Walker. But this is my favorite so I guess it works!

I haven't played the others but I put a little bit of time into Portable Ops Plus and just from the controls I feel like it probably couldn't top Peace Walker, which actually pulled the MGS4 gameplay off nicely on PSP. Plus it's the only Kojima-directed, canonical game on the list so it kind of wins by default :D

Edge7
01-06-2012, 12:44 AM
I lost my copy of Ghost Babel, but when I had it, I ADORED it.

KentaRawr!
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I just started playing Peace Walker. If it keeps being this lovable, it may replace GB as my favorite portable Metal Gear. Even if Snake's eyes are always bulging out of his head.

Bolivar
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
I actually just got the HD collection and have been playing Peace Walker co-op with a friend, helping him through the story. There's definitely a lot of legitimate complaints about the game, like it being too easy to clear levels and the areas being smaller and in turn dumbed-down versions of MGS3, but overall it's still a fun time.

KentaRawr!
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, it's pretty clear that the game was designed with quick, portable gameplay in mind. And I'm not sure how I feel about the story, either. But I'm just thrilled to play a new Metal Gear, I guess. :kakapo:

nectarsis
01-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Acid 1&2 are great fun, but Peace Walker is just a blast to play.

nirojan
01-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Portable Ops and Peace Walker are the only cannon games on the PSP (kojima says so). Acid titles didn't do it for me, but Peace Walker was amazing (kojima himself directed it).

Sephex
01-26-2012, 01:58 AM
Peace Walker, but Ghost Babel is very close behind.