PDA

View Full Version : Fable Rant (TLC)

Mercen-X
01-05-2012, 10:23 PM
So this is a little late (by a few years) as I only just got a short-circuited piece-of-scrap XBOX ($30 from a thrift) about a month ago and I have been playing Fable. I played Fable II on the XBOX 360 up in Canada (it belonged to whom I then thought would be my father-in-law... dodged a bullet there... I'll have to thank my ex for breaking up with me.)
Obviously, Lion Head made some advancements and fixed some mistakes in the sequel because I enjoyed that game a hell of a lot more than I do this first installment. Most of the time, I hate the bastard. I applaud the company's ability the fix past mistakes with later installments but, unfortunately, their attempt to redeem themselves through the next generation goes like a cry of forgiveness into a cold dank chasm. I'm still forced to wonder what kind of idiots they had working in their company to allow the kind of bull$$$t that inspires annoyance which then becomes obsession and eventually seething hatred for elements of the game (this most-likely pertaining only to non-casual gamers). Expert players who love to brag would probably claim that Fable was a better challenge than its soft-hearted siblings. But I say that's only because they're idiots and the first game was produced by those of their ilk.
Like I've mentioned, this "complaint letter to no one" comes a few years too late and this topic has likely been droned to death which is why I vent my frustration here where likely pretty much everyone will ignore or dismiss my impertinance as trivial.

Don't get me wrong... there are still things I love about the game: Fishing, Digging, Tavern Games, Teleporting, Flirting and its consequences, all of which have subsequently been featured in the sequels. My favorite spot is Old Grey House despite there being little to do in that area.

Jessweeee♪
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM
I heard Peter Molyneux hired an assistant to shush him whenever he got too excited in an interview and started to talk about features he really wanted to put in the game but hadn't actually been worked out yet.

Jiro
01-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Fable: The Lost Chapters is pretty good. I mean yeah, they've "fixed" things in the later ones, but even after playing all of them I still feel the original is probably the best.

Shattered Dreamer
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I love Fable: The Lost Chapters, fantastic game from start to finish! A game I've always felt deals with the "morality choice" gameplay element extremely well. Unfortunately I haven't got to play Fable 2 & 3 & to be honest the Fable series is the only reason a long time Sony console lover would consider buying an XBOX 360 (I'm not a Sony fanboy, I just don't like the chunky XBOX controller)

I Don't Need A Name
01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
You've ranted about the game, and yet not actually told us what your problem with it is? I personally enjoyed the original Fable (on my PC that is)

Mercen-X
01-07-2012, 08:03 PM
All of my problems are just that... my problem. It's just my first playthrough and yet I expect everything to go my way and yet I fail at practically every boast. I had a 9itc# of a time trying to sneak into Twinblade's camp (probably because of daylight) despite my maxed guile. The run button is shared with the flourish so whenever enemies are present, I have to remember to use Y or Assassin Rush to get out of dodge. I wish there had been some kind of invisibility magic. In fact, I don't remember if they even provided that in 2.
I hate fighting trolls because there's no way to dodge their attacks without magic. Demon Doors have far stricter rules with far more vague clues as to how to get them open. I'm currently trying my hand at a sidequest called Trader Rescue where I boasted I could complete without killing anyone and without using protection or aggression. But then I find out that the traders are too stupid to follow you out of the camp if you just try to talk them into following and then run like hell. Internet guides claim that it's possible and that bandits will target you because they saw you first, but then you turn to run and the traders don't move and get themselves killed. I wish there had been magic to put the enemy to sleep. I don't think that's in the sequel either.

Anyway, yeah, still pointless.

I Don't Need A Name
01-08-2012, 01:41 AM
Wow, that's a lot of issues. I'll agree with the Demon Doors. Some of them are so difficult to get, some are near impossible. Getting the ultimate bow is an absolute pisstake as well. I didn't encounter much of the other problems because I found that, with that game, either using a bow&arrow or just hammering away with a sword worked on most things (an a PCs button mapping is far more diverse)