PDA

View Full Version : [XIII-2] DEMO INCOMING!!

nirojan
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Even though pre-order sales in the US are outpacing FFXIII, SE has decided to release a demo for XIII-2.

PSN: Jan 10, 2012
XBL: Jan 11, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Demo Incoming (http://kotaku.com/5873700/final-fantasy-xiii+2-demo-incoming)

Rostum
01-08-2012, 06:18 AM
Hmm interesting, I'll have to try it out. Is this just for NA or is it for all regions?

chionos
01-08-2012, 06:42 AM
Hmm interesting, I'll have to try it out. Is this just for NA or is it for all regions?

Looks like NA gets it on the 10th, EU on the 11th. After watching the Moogle trailer, my anticipation has increased quite a bit. Definitely gonna try out the demo.

Jiro
01-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Well this could be interesting!

Silent Warrior
01-10-2012, 05:05 AM
... I think I just crapped my pants. Download servers, tremble in fear!

(Did I ever tell you how much I like flat-rate ADSL connections?)

Jessweeee♪
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
I don't think my neighbor's unprotected wifi is going to cut it for this one.

Mirage
01-10-2012, 03:55 PM
... I think I just crapped my pants. Download servers, tremble in fear!

(Did I ever tell you how much I like flat-rate ADSL connections?)
I don't understand... is that fast?

nirojan
01-11-2012, 03:10 AM
My Impressions:
A definite good start to changing things.

There were a few thing i didn't like though. I wanted one-touch character switch, but you have to go into the triangle menu then switch out which seems a little pointless since L2 & R2 are unused. The "cinematic action" (glorified QTE's) are not as bad as some gaming Journalist made them out to be. At the end of the Atlas fight it was pretty much exactly what I expected, although in the full game I hope they have more then 'Move Left' and Press 'X'. Graphically I'm a little disappointed. There are ALOT MORE slowdowns and framerate drops. There aren't any trailing animations (such as walking on a puddle/body of water doesn't produce the associated distillation effects). Moogle gets EXTREMELY ANNOYING after playing for just under half an hour with it. Voice acting and lip syncing could use some work, but I'm guessing the US version's gone Gold about now and won't be changing anytime soon.

Some good things I liked about the demo. Choice and variety are definitely there. Love the way side-quests were given (in this instance soldiers you talk you tell you their problem FULLY VOICED and you can choose to accept the side mission). The Temporal Rifts don't seem that fun, but are a welcome change of pace from the usual combat. On the gameplay topic, the combat in entertaining and dynamic as ever and I love the Pokemon/DQ-type Monster collecting aspect. The fact that every creature has its own move set and Feral Link is astounding. Now while I berated the graphics earlier, things do look a little more polished than before. The faded look is gone, replaced with a glossy look. The water effect reflect building and backgrounds appropriately. The rain effect dripping on the screen (even though its been done in every game) is a nice touch. In the 'after-demo-video' snow effects looked nice and a bit of snow gathers on Noel's head. The Historia Crux and multiple pathways and decisions are really nice way to flesh out an RPG. But It seems kind of forced in XIII-2 and regardless of the decision you make, you end up with the same outcome in most cases (read this on a JPN review). Loved the Jump button, even though it's pretty useless. Hate it when it's absent from Mass Effect/Dragon Age (even though it'd be pretty useless in either series).

All in all, I'm looking forward to this game and got the Collector's edition Pre-ordered at Best Buy.

FFFFsephychibi
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Square can have bad voice acting and an annoying moogle sidekick all they want, cause they just earned my $63.74

You can finally earn GIL when you defeat enemies again, the most ESSENTIAL staple in the history of the series. I'm so glad that has returned. Thank you Square Enix!!!! THANK YOUUUUU!!! ARIGATO GOZAIMASUUUUUU!!!

Silent Warrior
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Mirage: Uh, I'm of course not quite sure what you misunderstood, but what I BASICALLY meant is that I'm happy I'm not on a connection that charges you per megabyte. A set monthly fee, no matter how much you download. Makes game demos significantly more bearable for the economy.

Mirage
01-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Oh, ok. I just haven't heard of people having such a plan unless they were getting internet via their mobile phone or something like that.

Also, the demo was pretty pleasurable. I played it last night even though i'm in Europe. Screw you, EU PSN delays!

Rocket Edge
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Downloading as we speak. I really hope it's not like XIII, you probably know my reasoning's like many others. Will come back later and give my review of the demo.

Silent Warrior
01-14-2012, 04:49 AM
It seemed OK to me, but if I have one criticism, it's that the demo was way too short... MOAHR! :twisted:

I admit to a certain... apprehension regarding the Moogle. (If anyone misses it, it seems to morph into Serah's weapon. I'm not sure if I'm giving away a plot point here...) I'm also a little worried, actually, about the grandeur they seem to be aiming at with Atlas - if a mere boss (?) is like this, what antics, contortions and SFX are they going to pull at the Final Battle(tm)? Will they make my PS3 explode, blow my mind so I can't take the important bits in, or make me go '... Meh, didn't they do this 20 minutes ago?'?

VeloZer0
01-14-2012, 04:56 AM
I'm also a little worried, actually, about the grandeur they seem to be aiming at with Atlas - if a mere boss (?)
We all know that size doesn't mater, just your ATK stat.

Lamia
01-14-2012, 12:23 PM
I played and beat the demo. By going off this demo, the graphics are nowhere near the quality level of Final Fantasy XIII's. The game now features non-linear map design which is what we have all been expecting. In the demo, the map was well-designed and fun to explore but it comes with some trade-offs: there are now random encounters and an inferior framerate to FFXIII. The random encounters are interesting: a bolt of lightning strikes down randomly and suddenly you're surrounded by monsters. Your choices are to strike the monster on screen for a preemptive attack or dodge and run far enough away until the encounter disappears. Your success of running away can still fail even if you haven't been struck by the enemy and the timer runs out. The timer starts when a random encounter happens, and during this time you must run away or engage the enemy. When the timer stops you have either escaped or have failed to escape. This system is an odd design choice considering that one of the few things Final Fantasy fans have NOT missed is random encounters. While it is modernized version of the system, it surprisingly became quickly as annoying. In some ways it is worse than the old random encounter system, because you don't have to be moving around the map to be struck with an encounter. There were times where I was just checking out the scenery and BAM... I got to run away from monsters. Other times I was trying to listen to an NPC and BAM... random encounter. Overall, it is an OK system and allows the map design to be less streamlined than in XIII. In XIII, the meticulous presentation and the fact that dodging or sneaking up on encounters was central to the gameplay meant that narrow areas made sense. It's not hard to dodge an enemy in a wide open space! But I digress... Folks will be happy about the changes but it is apparent that there have been a few trade-offs.

You can now collect gil from defeating monsters. I know many will be happy about that although I did like the resource management in XIII--do I sell these items to make money or do I use them to upgrade my equipment? In XIII-2, you get both materials and gil from battles.

If the rest of the game is like the demo, then there will be side quests to complete throughout Final Fantasy XIII-2. Better yet, they are given by NPCs. In the past, there haven't been very many fetch and kill quests given by NPCs that you would normally see in a Western RPG. The side quests were usually at a much grander scale or dealt with an area on the map that was not visited during the storyline. Still, many people will appreciate this extra layer of interactivity, especially after XIII, which had no NPCs to interact with and not much to do outside progressing the main storyline.

The battle system is almost the same as the one in XIII. One main difference is now you can recruit monsters into your party. When I heard first heard about this I wasn't very excited about this feature. However, after playing the demo and realizing how fleshed out and polished the system is; I have changed my mind. You are able to have three monsters in your party at a time (they switch out according to which paradigm you have employed), they can be dressed in clothing, and they have special attacks. Neat!

The crystarium has improved. You now simply level up your job classes instead of having to hold down A to travel along the lines and nodes of the crystarium... which was pointless as it was linear anyway, and did not really have meaningiful deviating patches like in FFX's sphre grid. In XIII-2, when you reach a new crystarium level, you can now choose different bonuses for your character or even new roles to unlock. What's important about is that you have to make a CHOICE and I think gamers will appreciate that.

Finally, the hub areas in XIII-2. There was one large one filled with NPCs in the demo. It was very neat and nicely conceptualized. The only issue I have is that NPCs will not stop talking to you. There should be a few that automatically talk to you, sure.. but the majority should only speak if the player walks up to to the NPC and presses 'X'. But it is not the case in the XIII-2 demo, everywhere you go NPCs are talking your head off. Sometimes this clashes with Alyssa talking to you through a communication device (im assuming? lol she talked to me throughout the demo even when I was nowhere near her)... This is a minor complaint and I think most will be happy now that there are hubs and NPCs.

Oh, the music is amazing in the demo.

Overall, XIII-2 features changes that fans want but there are definitely some trade-offs. It's a weird situation because I think fans of XIII will not be like some of these trade-offs, while people that didn't like or hated XIII may not even bother buying this game.

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Oh god damn it when is this going to be open for non gold members?!

Freya
01-15-2012, 05:51 AM
Hate it when it's absent from Mass Effect/Dragon Age (even though it'd be pretty useless in either series).

Shepard doesn't need to jump :colbert:

I'm trying to blaze through and finish XIII finally before I try the demo. But I keep hearing good things about it though.

Rocket Edge
01-15-2012, 03:18 PM
The demo is a massive improvement on XIII, but since I despised the game, It wouldn't be that difficult. I enjoyed it overall. What was missing from XIII was the feeling of not believing I was in the world of the game, if you know what I'm trying to say. I think square have addressed this issue in the best way they could allow. You can talk to anyone around you and you get a better sense of being in Cocoon (is that the correct name?). Instead of a floating ball thingy there is this girl dressed as a chocobo, where you can buy/sell equipment & such. Not exactly brilliant but it's an improvement.

What I've been most impressed about, is an element of the battle system. Monsters you have defeated leave a crystal of themselves, which you can use in combat. Cait Sith ftw. You can barrage through people with commando & s/he will heal away.

There is some things that I was a little disappointed in. The crystarium is the same for instance. I understand that its a sequel to the same game but I found it in the first to be so disappointing. What are the options like? Its just a straight line onto the next stat that you have no choice over. The music in this game is a throwaway from anything I've heard in a FF pre-XIII. What happened to victory fanfare or some Nobuo Uematsu composed music? Techno music is what's left when you fight now. In the scale of things from what I've played though, XIII-2 is a return to form for the FF series.

Mirage
01-16-2012, 12:03 AM
The music is awesome. It's not all techno, and it's actually closer to dnb and various other genres anyway. And what's wrong with modern music in a modern setting? This isn't a FF set in the middle ages.

VeloZer0
01-16-2012, 02:12 AM
I can't think of a single piece of music that I noticed out of the whole demo. But then again I think the only piece of FF13 music that was memorable was the battle theme. So probably not the best barometer.

Mirage
01-16-2012, 04:26 AM
Yeah, well, I'm not just going by the demo music. I've already got the entire soundtrack from that game :p. I do like the background dungeon music in the demo anyway, though. It is pretty cool, and even more so when you know the full track it's based on.

nirojan
01-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah, well, I'm not just going by the demo music. I've already got the entire soundtrack from that game

Did they keep the rap and jazz pieces from the battle demo back at the first E3 showing? Didn't hear much of it in the demo, so I assumed SE cut it.

Mirage
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Not sure which ones those were, I can't remember the E3 demo stuff. It sounds like what's on the soundtrack, though.

nirojan
01-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Not sure which ones those were, I can't remember the E3 demo stuff. It sounds like what's on the soundtrack, though.

Here's the E3 demo:
Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 2011 Gameplay Live Trigger and Atlas Fight Gameplay - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mpmo52dwY6M&feature=related)

I believe it's called Bresha Ruins theme or something like that. Here's the preview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5OX0pX5mqM

Can't find the other one i heard earlier.

Mirage
01-16-2012, 11:54 PM
Aimee Blackschleger - Invisible Invaders ~ Aggressive Mix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgzYcXqAslo)
The youtube video title is inaccurate.

Psychotic
01-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Wow, Noel has a skirt. That's a new one.
That Moogle's voice makes me want to stab things and I've only seen it for 20 seconds.
Well god damn. That is a big hand. I do not like this music!
Ohhhh I remember how to play FFXIII now! The cinematic events are an interesting way at mixing things up and keeping battles from being one big grind.
JUMP BUTTAN! :)
...Carmine?
...Chocolina?! :|
Dude Cait Sith! And this battle music is kinda nice.

The dungeon I am in now seems interesting. Full of life and minimissions by the sounds of it. Sometimes it's hard to keep up with what is going on with the dialogue with it confined to just a tiny spot and a lot of people talking at me though.

THEN A GIANT KILLED ME :( I am not buying this game now :colbert:

Jessweeee♪
01-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Ah yes, now the plebeians can download it! The download finished just half an hour before my bed time though, so I'll have to wait until after work today to start the demo. So excited :excited:

EDIT:

Just fought the "arm" (for some reason it amuses me that they call it what it is, an arm). I got excited when I saw the enlarged font option, but I do wish it would have magnified the HP count as well. My TV while much much much nicer than the one I played FFXIII on, is only half the size. I liked the battle theme. It's like Masashi Hamauzu, my favorite Final Fantasy composer, and Shoji Meguro, my favorite Persona composer, had a music baby. I hope there are more music babies.

EDIT 2:

Hooollly shiiiiit best soundtrack ever. There are indeed many music babies. I can see why some don't like it, it doesn't really have that Final Fantasy feel. But the game as a whole is a pretty big departure from series norms so that is a good thing I think.

I don't like the moogle's voice, and I have a tolerance for that kind of thing. I was worried about this when I found out the moogle could talk :(