PDA

View Full Version : Their Tale Can Now Be Told

Edge7
01-06-2012, 11:57 PM
I'm going to be honest; I've never really gotten into Final Fantasy Tactics; largely because I was in 8th grade when I first played and was turned off by the largely political approach the story decided to take (I played FF for the romanticism). However, my tastes have matured, and I'm willing to give this game another shot. Any recommendations as I play through the game (side note; I'm playing the War of The Lion's version)?

VeloZer0
01-07-2012, 03:35 AM
I could recommend to you all the most powerful job/ability combinations, or what a good strategy for learning stuff is, but that would ruin all the fun of experiencing and learning the game for the first time. :D

Just note that the War of the Lions changed a lot of the names so you may have trouble following some of the things old die-hards myself are saying. I've played both, but it is probably over 500hrs of play time in favor of the original, so the old names are usually the first that pop into my head.

EDIT: Oh, and post a lot in this forum. It is far to ghost-town-ish for my liking.

Edge7
01-07-2012, 06:37 AM
EDIT: Oh, and post a lot in this forum. It is far to ghost-town-ish for my liking.
Can and will do!

Okay, so I just played a couple battles. I gave Ramza the JP boost ability from the squire class, and the treasure hunting ability from the chemist class, which I'm hoping will be an easy way to find treasure and to make some money. I have one question right now; do characters only gain JP for the job they currently have activated?

VeloZer0
01-07-2012, 07:38 PM
In retrospect I should probably have mentioned GainedJP Up (old name once again). IMO you should always have this equipped on all characters. It doubles the Jp you earn. And in this games I find the abilities you learn to be way more helpful than your levels.

Whenever you perform an action successfully you gain Exp and Jp.

The amount of exp is determined by the level of the target you performed it to. If the target is the same level it is 10exp, and add or subtract one exp for every level the target is above or bellow the characters level. (ex: Ramza lv12 attacks a lv10 enemy. Ramza gets 8 exp. Ramza lv12 heals a lv14 part memeber, Ramza gets 12 exp) You also get a 10exp bonus if your attack kills an enemy.

You also get Jp for performing a successful action. The amount of Jp gained is proportional to your job level in that class. The higher the job level the more you gain, regardless of what action you performed or who you performed it on. Also there is a small amount of spill over to other party members. So every time you Knight acts your Chemist will get a small amount of Jp towards their knight class. This accumulates even if you haven't unlocked the class for that character yet.

EDIT: Oh yeah, find treasure is kind of worthless. At the end game you use it to find the best gear in the game, but prior to that I don't really think you can get any good use out of it.

Raistlin
01-08-2012, 04:26 AM
I second Gained JP Up for every character. That ability is great.

I would also recommend learning Accumulate or some other ability that you can do with no nearby enemy (I don't know what it's named in the remake, but it boosts a character's own strength). This allows you to gain JP for all characters even in the first couple of moves where you may not be able to do anything else.

Also, if I remember correctly, the monsters you encounter randomly on the world map level up with Ramza (the story battles are all static-leveled), which means it may be a good idea on a first playthrough not to let Ramza get too far ahead of everyone else in your party.

chionos
01-08-2012, 05:30 AM
My favorite leveling/jp gaining trick involves Ramza's Yell ability and a Knight with speed break and power break. Kill all mobs on screen except for one which you surround, and then power break (this isn't totally necessary, just makes it easier in certain situations) and speed break. Then Ramza and the knight use a combination of Yell and Speed Break to give basically unlimited turns to whichever character you want. Accumulate is probably the best/easiest/fastest skill for this because it's self-targeting and is 100% accurate. Just make sure those characters that accumulate don't have some kind of counter equipped.

VeloZer0
01-08-2012, 05:35 AM
I kind of dislike the GainedJP UP ability. Sure it is great to get double JP and I always have it equipped but it kind of takes a big part out of the game. You basically have an ability slot filled up with it the whole game, it effectively eliminates the support skill slot for everything but the end game.

Hollycat
01-08-2012, 06:25 AM
Don't miss out on Ramza's secret learnable ability.

chionos
01-08-2012, 06:36 AM
That's one of the main reasons I use the "trick" I mentioned. Spend one fight getting leveled up a bit, then do some story with the kind of jobs and skills I actually want to use.

Edge7
01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Okay, thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for accumulate and yell, or whatever the PSP equivalents are. And I only really plan to use the JP skill for a good deal of chapter one; it'll allow me to get some good skills quicker.

VeloZer0
01-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Trust me you are never going to want to give it up. ;)

Accumulate is called Focus (Squire) and Yell is Tailwind (Ramza exclusive squire skill)

Hollycat
01-08-2012, 07:00 PM
just so you know, the most missed ability can only be gained during a single story battle.
That's all I'm going to say because I don't want to ruin it.

chionos
01-08-2012, 08:00 PM
just so you know, the most missed ability can only be gained during a single story battle.
That's all I'm going to say because I don't want to ruin it.

That's the least helpful bit of advice I've ever seen.

Edge7
01-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Trust me you are never going to want to give it up. ;)

Accumulate is called Focus (Squire) and Yell is Tailwind (Ramza exclusive squire skill)
Muchas gracias man, made my life a bit easier.

And Hypoallergenic Cactuar, I'm assuming you're talking about Ultima. Someone told me a little bit about the game and how Ultima is nigh impossible to get. He didn't tell me any story details though, so we're good.

VeloZer0
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
In all honesty I wouldn't even worry about getting it. I make sure to get it every playthrough, but I can't think of any time I have actually had a use for it, save for using it just for the sake of using it.

Save that for the second playthrough where you use all the cool strategies you discovered and get all the stuff you missed.

Hollycat
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
never mind, I shall be helpful. in the battle with the two girls (twins?) and the crazy guy in some kind of chapel, you must get hit by one of the girls special attacks and survive to learn it. It makes the hardest battle in the game harder.

VeloZer0
01-09-2012, 01:12 AM
It's actually way easier to learn it the battle preceding that one.

chionos
01-09-2012, 02:55 AM
I've only ever bothered getting it on 100% runs. By that point in the game my char's are already monsters.

Hollycat
01-09-2012, 03:10 AM
Does anyone else think that is the hardest battle?

VeloZer0
01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
You mean in Limberly against Elmdor?

I thought that battle was trivially easy as long as you aren't out to steal all the Genji equipment. Then I agree with that assessment.

I found Golgorand Execution Site to be the most difficult, though I think that most people consider the Wiegraf/Velius fight in Riovanes the most difficult.

Bolivar
01-09-2012, 04:12 AM
Co-sign accumulate/focus, lets you get a good amount of JP in those first few rounds when you're not doing something, not to mention how much insane jp you can get if you leave one enemy on the field and just accumulate up until you run out of medical items from that enemy hitting you. I always feel that's the point at which I've gained enough JP and it's time to see how my characters are developing and to make adjustments.

I agree with equipping JP up all the time, it does take away from a big part of the game and deprives you of tactical options which could really help in some story battles. I like to keep it on my characters for optional battles, as well as the Squire commands.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but for some reason I thought the fraction of JP characters get in the jobs of other members of your party when they take actions only happens on close proximity. I could be wrong, though.

It may sound obvious, but I always level up characters in a job to the max of level 8 before changing their job to one unlocked by the previous one. It makes them much more effective in that later job IMO.

Hard for me to say what the hardest fight in the game is. The whole second half kinda just blurs together for me as a series of challenging battles where i'm spamming my cheap and overpowered moves before the enemy can do the same.

But I would recommend having multiple saves, especially when heading into a fortress. The game borrows from its predecessor Tactics Ogre in forcing you to complete a series of battles in one area and you can't back out. Unlike Tactics Ogre I don't think the game did a very good job of letting you know what the stakes are. Again, could be wrong on that.

VeloZer0
01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
But I would recommend having multiple saves, especially when heading into a fortress. The game borrows from its predecessor Tactics Ogre in forcing you to complete a series of battles in one area and you can't back out. Unlike Tactics Ogre I don't think the game did a very good job of letting you know what the stakes are. Again, could be wrong on that.
Yes, this is also something I should have mentioned. If you ever get asked to save after a battle it means you are going directly into another one without any chance to level you forces up more. So if you can't defeat the next battle you are absolutely screwed if you saved over your original file.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but for some reason I thought the fraction of JP characters get in the jobs of other members of your party when they take actions only happens on close proximity. I could be wrong, though.
The amount of JP you get is:

JP = [(8 + (JobLevel * 2) + [Lv / 4]) * M]
where JobLevel is caster's level at their current job
(can range from 1 - 8)
Lv is the level of the person performing the action
M is 3/2 if the caster has 'Gained JP-UP'
1 otherwise

Everyone else in the battle will also get JP/4, (calculated before Gained JP UP. So JP/8 of what you see on the screen)

Bolivar
01-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Ok, I guess how close they're standing to the actor doesn't matter then. Good to know!

Gamblet
01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I found Golgorand Execution Site to be the most difficult, though I think that most people consider the Wiegraf/Velius fight in Riovanes the most difficult.

Those two are usually difficult if you plan to steal Blood Sword from Gaf or you don't use the Drain Health skill on Velius. But I always go the hard way, so for me they are the toughest battles in the game.

Sometimes the battle where you must kind of solo Gaf with Ramza is tough. But only if you are underleveled, 1 level lower than the enemy is usually enough.

Edge7
01-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Another question: auto potion/ auto regen; worth the 400 JP?

Tigmafuzz
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Another question: auto potion/ auto regen; worth the 400 JP?
Auto-regen is. I don't remember auto-potion ever being all that helpful, though.

VeloZer0
01-16-2012, 04:49 PM
Auto-potion can be incredibly helpful, if you are willing to eat the cost to constantly keep your potion stock up. Keep in mind that it always uses your lowest potion in inventory. If you sell all of your Potions and High-Potions then you will use an X-Potion every time it activates.

Auto-Regen depends on your playstyle. I set my characters up for speed, mobility and damage, sacrificing HP/MP. So if I get hit I want a counter ability that will either reduce or avoid the damage I take, so Regen isn't all that useful. If you have a character that is constantly taking manageable amounts of damage it can stave off the need for healing.

Also note that the percentage chance for a counter ability to activate is equal to your Brave. 40 Br, 40% chance of the ability working, 97 Br, 97% chance of the ability working.