PDA

View Full Version : NEXT: N-X Squared (Squex fighter)

Mercen-X
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
NEXT: NX2

So, here's the concept... what if Square Enix collected 16-32 of the most beloved characters they've ever licensed and Smash Brothered them into one fighting engine a la Dissidia?

The question isn't "will they", it's instead, "who would you want to be in it?"

Now, I can only advocate games licensed in America, mostly Squaresoft, since that's who I'm more familiar with.

My personal suggestions would be:

Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist
Albel Nox from Till the End of Time
Dual Sora from Kingdom Hearts
Angelo from Dragon Quest VIII
Cross Ward from Radiata Stories (mostly because I always wanted to play as him... don't ask me why)
Samurai Musashi
Sif from Romancing SaGa
Emellious from Grandia III
Vincent Valentine (though I struggled against including any FF characters)
Oswald from Odin Sphere
Beat from TWEWY (actually, I'm not familiar with this game, I'm just spouting)

I could name more, but... what about you?

SuperMillionaire
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Pretty cool, though I think the game should take more influences from Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, and Marvel vs Capcom.

Mercen-X
02-04-2012, 08:47 PM
What influences exactly?

SuperMillionaire
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
The movement should be 8-way like Soul Calibur, with an attack layout to be like a combination of Soul Calibur and Guilty Gear (punch, kick, horizontal slash, and vertical slash), and Marvel vs Capcom-style tag-team gameplay and hyper combos.

black orb
02-07-2012, 04:32 AM
>>> I dont know the RPG fans are complicated, personally I would not like to see FF, DQ, FMA, Star Ocean or Valkyrie Profile characters mixed in a fighter.. The game would flame all the fans and cause its downfall before its even released..

Maybe if they just keep it "Squaresoft" with some FF, Front Mission, Xenogears and Chrono characters it would be less shocking..:luca:

SuperMillionaire
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
You mean only the Square side before it merged with Enix? I don't know much about the Enix side, but I wouldn't mind seeing them in this game.

Mercen-X
02-10-2012, 01:35 AM
Knowing the company's habits, going in this direction, they'd probably stick with just using characters from Squaresoft titles... nevertheless, I wouldn't put it past them to sneak a couple of "post-merge" characters and even characters from games they didn't originally publish like from LoK or Tomb Raider.

SuperMillionaire
02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't think that they would use Eidos Interactive characters either, though it certainly would be nice.

I'm sure, though, that they would still use both Squaresoft-originated and Enix-originated characters in this game.

Mercen-X
02-24-2012, 01:45 AM
>>>Maybe if they just keep it "Squaresoft" with some FF, Front Mission, Xenogears and Chrono characters it would be less shocking..

Maybe something like pre-PlayStation FF with some characters from those other games you mentioned... maybe Chrono Trigger and not Chrono Cross (because it has too many characters)...

SuperMillionaire
03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
You know, I just thought about it; perhaps they might make another Dissidia-style game featuring all of these characters...

Depression Moon
03-06-2012, 02:31 AM
I hope not. I tried Dissidia and I hate the battle system. It's far too simplistic.

ShinGundam
03-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I hope not. I tried Dissidia and I hate the battle system. It's far too simplistic.
I got recently into Dissidia once again and i must disagree, i like the battle system a lot as it remind me of older fighting games. Simple controls, little to speak of in terms of chains or their necessity, and the game's mostly about fishing your opponent's mistakes to land the big hit.

Mercen-X
03-10-2012, 07:57 PM
I'll not hold it against ye, DM. Of course, I either way on the battle system. I just get tired of relying on fanfiction to decide who would win in a battle between favorites. Marvel never had any problem pitting its greatest heroes against each other. Even DC has done it, I think. Batman vs Superman, what-have-you...
I just think I'd like to see it as it happens in the minds of the guys who licensed the games. Hell, maybe Squaenix can do at least some kind of short-lived anime miniseries instead of a fighting game... no! Wait. That'll still make me want to play a v. video game.

You know, the topic has lost its original point. I don't give a damn if you would like the game or hate it or like the battle system. I don't think it's even plausible to assume Square would ever sink this low. But if they did, if they utilized all the characters in their repertoire, WHO THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO SEE?

SuperMillionaire
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I would envision the game to be an overall cross of Dissidia and Soul Calibur, with additional influences from Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Super Smash Bros, and Marvel vs Capcom, particularly with a "Tag-team" aspect to it. Perhaps it would also be pretty cool if it had a "running wall smash" sequence, like in Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe.

As for characters, I'd say bring in as many franchises as possible, but include Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters, since those two are the biggest franchises. Even though it would certainly be nice, I don't think they would allow Kingdom Hearts or Eidos-created characters in there, though...

Wolf Kanno
03-11-2012, 03:23 AM
I feel Dissidia's system worked well with the FF brand, it was all about showing off flashy attacks and projectiles in 3D and it was pretty simple and easy to use unlike most traditional fighters. If it had to be made into a more traditional game, I feel ARKSYS (Guilty Gear/BlazBlue) would be the best, simply because 3D fighters like SolCal, Tekken, and whatnot don't have the mechanics to implement spell casting/limit break flying shenanigans that you would find in Squenix's franchises, and would seriously limit the scope of the game and the characters needed. 2D would simplify this and make it easier to implement. It will take me awhile to determine who the roster should be...

Tigmafuzz
03-11-2012, 04:06 AM
Every character from every game Square has ever made.

Mercen-X
03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
I've been seriously considering producing a series of fan-tournaments to decide which characters could best represent Square Enix in a game like this. But I'm too lazy to go through with it.

SuperMillionaire
05-12-2012, 08:31 PM
I'd certainly like to see that when you find the time, Mercen-X.

Mercen-X
05-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Well, as I said, I'm lazy over it, it's not about time. The concept of my tournament starts with individual games like Final Fantasy, Valkyrie Profile, or Chrono Cross, each of which has too many characters to include in a single versus fighter. I pit them against each other to see whose worthy to appear, but it's not a bout of mere skill. The characters have to have appeal. Looks and personality would play a role in whether they became top contenders. One of the reasons I wanted to avoid including any Final Fantasy characters in my own list of potential cameos is because I kind of predict that SE will continue their Duodecim series until they've exhausted their FF resources. So I don't want to bother with them in the meantime.
But, yeah, I won't likely be doing it... any time soon... :kakapo:

Also, referring back to the post by black orb, I don't think a game of this kind would flame any fans. When games allow you to build a custom character and you build one to resemble a character from another popular game, does that flame fans? Those videos up on YouTube of that game (which I still don't understand) in which you can customize characters to look like anything from Sephiroth to Ronald McDonald, do those really flame fans? If portraying a character inaccurately raises no qualms from fans then I am blind to how an accurate portrayal can raise any kind of problem.

SuperMillionaire
05-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Yeah, they need to make a Dissidia 3 aftercycle, with more new characters, but the 012 heroes and villains, with the exceptions of Garland, Golbez, and Jecht, should be absent. New heroes and new villains should be implemented, but I think they'll problably wait until about after the time XVI comes out...