PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised so many people hate this song...

MJN SEIFER
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM
One my main pasions in life, is my very varied taste in music. The only time there's a singer or band that hasn't done at least one song that I like is because I haven't heard it yet. Sometimes when I like a song it's because I simply like it, and other times there's something about the song that draws me to it - sometimes it gets played during something important to me, or maybe the lyrics speak to me personally. I will delve into music from any decade of any genre, which is why my current radio station is very varied in what it plays (trust me, sometimes the songs are obvious hits, while other times they're really obscure).

For this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y58OT6jlLvE&list=LLqFsB7eTz2cFMdknkqn8w-A&index=1&feature=plpp_video) it was a few things that made me realize I loved it, the first being it's a sample (that's when you use part of an older song to make your song - it is not the same as covering, which is when you litterally sing someone elses song), as much as I love originallity - I am absolutley facinated with sampling, I always love hearing them, and if the orginal song was one of my favorites (which this one wasn't) I love the sample even more. Also, while sampling is less original than writing a song which is 100% your own, I find sampling to be still fairly original, creative and artistic - remember, you're still technically doing your own song. It's just artistic way of addapting another song.

The second thing I love about this song is that the lyrics actually reflect stuff about my view on life. I am very passonate about things I like, and while I accept that not everyone likes the same thing, "Haters" really need to shut up at times. There's plenty of things that I flatout can't stand, but I don't search for places where the fans are gathered just so I can go all "How could anyone be a fan of this?!" on them. It's pathetic attention seaking - simple hating something is okay, being hater is not, in my eyes. This is basically what this song says, just be true to the things you like, and stop caring what the haters think of you. Whether you like this song or not, you should at least appreciate how easy the lyrics are to relate to - I think there's been a moment like that for all of us.

Thirdly, while the choruses stood out the most at first (and the end as well) the verses have a pretty fun sounding beat to it, so I just like the song.

As the song itself points out, haters are gonna hate - but why are there so many?!

chionos
01-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Hmmm. Well, first of all, as a song, that was terrible. Sorry, but it was. I'm not saying you're a terrible person for liking it, just stating my opinion. Why should positive opinions be any more valid than negative ones? Two sides to the same coin.

As to your question, both songs (this song you linked, and the original song that it refers to) antagonized the haters, challenged them, basically invited them to hate on the song. How could anyone possibly be surprised at the reaction?

The web and other parallel technological advancements allow just about anybody to show off their shet to everyone in the world, or at least anyone willing to take a look. This means the potential for lots of attention. Lots of attention means the potential for lots of praise or lots of hate, or both. If a person doesn't want to be criticized they shouldn't do things that invite criticism.

Old Manus
01-09-2012, 08:06 PM
MJN SEIFER, you are my favourite member.

NeoCracker
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
I can't see this song as being simply about liking what you like, and not letting people bother you.

"You can't stop looking at me, you can't stop clicking me" and so on and forth, implying that these haters have on obsession with her. Paired with the chorus,
"Swagger Jagger, Swagger Jagger, you should get some of your own". This song is implying the reason people hate on this song because they are jealous.

No, it CAN'T be because of the massive overuse of the the words Swagger and McJagger lately, or just swagger in general, repetitive nature of both the lyrics and music, the shear antagonistic nature of the song, or the freakishly out of place 'Get on the floor, get, get, get on the floor' line that has NOTHING to do with the rest of the songs meaning no matter which one of us is right, or lyrics thrown in like 'I got my Swagger in check', which is just her saying she is awesome on top of all this.

Nope, none if these reasons are why I hate the song, it's because I'm jealous. :mad:

It's a song that straight out says smurf you for hating on this song. Well smurf this song for giving me the finger right out of the gate. Yes, I am in fact a hater. I will bitch about what I don't like in music. The fact that she released a song to the public puts it up to the full extent of every ones criticism. I will agree to an extent on 'sometimes haters need to shut up', but only to the extent that you shouldn't go up to some one, unprovoked, and start telling them while the music they are listening to is bad, or in the internets case spam their messages and what not. On an open forum where a topic is started however? Yes, I will hate on it till my hearts desire.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-09-2012, 09:19 PM
We are his albacore. The bait is just too delicious.

http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/images/trolling_pic.png

Jiro
01-09-2012, 09:38 PM
This thread seems familiar somehow.

Agent Proto
01-09-2012, 09:52 PM
I think it's because he had a similar thread about "Friday."

MJN SEIFER
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
First of all, thank you for the mature responses. Second, I don't mind people hating the song, I was trying to find out why it didn't touch our generation. Simply not liking a song because you don't like how it sounds is fine. I am in no way saying "a possertive comment should outshine a negative comment", I am fully appreciative of other people opinions, I am always careful what I say. Like I say the "Haters" I (and this song) refers to are just people who hate for attention, even if they genuinly do hate whatever they hate, they're main purpose is to point it out to the fans, knowing that they are going to react. They're not just doing what you guys are doing, and saying "Sorry, in my opinion (such and such) isn't that great." or even "No offence, but I really can't stand (such and such)". which is perfectly acceptale online behavior (and offline for that matter). No, they're the guys who are invading our forums with troll like comments, they're there ones who upload a stamp on DeviantArt which anti-(such and such), and purposley put it in the (such and such) section, so the fans can see it - and then defend their opinion when the fans react by acting like they tracked him/her down, when no, they just searched for pictures of their favorite show/movie/game, and instead got that. If you have to promote your hate of something on DeviantArt fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't want the fans to flame you, don't stick it right where they're going to see it!

So, I don't mind people hating this song, or anything that I like deep down. If something has a nostaligic hold (which this song doesn't) or has some kind of emotional attachment to me (which this song doesn't really) I tend to take it personally sometimes. But I don't mind people hating things, so if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Thank you for answering me, though everyone - I guess the song does in someway provoke the hate, so thank you for pointing that out. Also, Neo Cracker also makes some good points, and maybe that is the case. Personally I didn't interperate the song to be doing what you said, but maybe it is in away. I may be wrong, but I kind of talk the whole "You can't stop ____ing me" (that wasn't meant to look the way it does...) to mean more that they can't stop showing her things rather than being obsessed with her completly, but maybe it's just my desire to have a song that does, what I thought this song to do that I looked at it with my own version. If that is the case I appologise for this thread, but will continue to love this song, as I just like how it sounds, if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, as you've explained it to me. But don't think I'm saying you need my permition to hate something - it's just there's very few songs I actually hate, so to me they have to do something really bad.

Sorry if I offended anyone though.

I Don't Need A Name
01-09-2012, 10:45 PM
Very familiar. Also, it's evident you're not from the UK if you can honestly make a thread like this without burning your face with rage

chionos
01-09-2012, 10:53 PM
I love it when I can't tell if someone is trolling or not. It's...pleasurably painful.

If you're being serious MJN, I don't think you offended anyone, I think we can all agree on how annoying attention-whoring trolls on the internet can be.

MJN SEIFER
01-10-2012, 12:11 AM
Yes, I am being serious, and yes I am from the UK. :p

Thanks if I haven't offended anyone. Trust me, I would never troll anyone, epsecially not here - I love this forum to much, to risk anything.

chionos
01-10-2012, 12:30 AM
That's exactly what someone would tell me if they were trolling me. :eep:

Jiro
01-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Yeah but MJN SEIFER isn't like that. He legit man.

NeoCracker
01-10-2012, 03:15 AM
First of all, thank you for the mature responses. Second, I don't mind people hating the song, I was trying to find out why it didn't touch our generation. Simply not liking a song because you don't like how it sounds is fine. I am in no way saying "a possertive comment should outshine a negative comment", I am fully appreciative of other people opinions, I am always careful what I say. Like I say the "Haters" I (and this song) refers to are just people who hate for attention, even if they genuinly do hate whatever they hate, they're main purpose is to point it out to the fans, knowing that they are going to react. They're not just doing what you guys are doing, and saying "Sorry, in my opinion (such and such) isn't that great." or even "No offence, but I really can't stand (such and such)". which is perfectly acceptale online behavior (and offline for that matter). No, they're the guys who are invading our forums with troll like comments, they're there ones who upload a stamp on DeviantArt which anti-(such and such), and purposley put it in the (such and such) section, so the fans can see it - and then defend their opinion when the fans react by acting like they tracked him/her down, when no, they just searched for pictures of their favorite show/movie/game, and instead got that. If you have to promote your hate of something on DeviantArt fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but if you don't want the fans to flame you, don't stick it right where they're going to see it!

So, I don't mind people hating this song, or anything that I like deep down. If something has a nostaligic hold (which this song doesn't) or has some kind of emotional attachment to me (which this song doesn't really) I tend to take it personally sometimes. But I don't mind people hating things, so if I came across that way, I'm sorry.

Thank you for answering me, though everyone - I guess the song does in someway provoke the hate, so thank you for pointing that out. Also, Neo Cracker also makes some good points, and maybe that is the case. Personally I didn't interperate the song to be doing what you said, but maybe it is in away. I may be wrong, but I kind of talk the whole "You can't stop ____ing me" (that wasn't meant to look the way it does...) to mean more that they can't stop showing her things rather than being obsessed with her completly, but maybe it's just my desire to have a song that does, what I thought this song to do that I looked at it with my own version. If that is the case I appologise for this thread, but will continue to love this song, as I just like how it sounds, if you don't like it that's perfectly fine, as you've explained it to me. But don't think I'm saying you need my permition to hate something - it's just there's very few songs I actually hate, so to me they have to do something really bad.

Sorry if I offended anyone though.

I don' think you offended anyone. :p

However, I do have a song that I feel prevays the message of listening to the things you like, even if other people disagree. :p

Gorillaz 19/2000 Soulchild Remix - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPZ7B_cB6LU)

Shattered Dreamer
01-11-2012, 12:19 AM
If this thread is meant to be sarcastic then you deserve a ciddie. If you are being serious then this video will suffice as my answer: Really? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE)

NeoCracker
01-11-2012, 12:21 AM
Off topic, but I love Miz. XD

Freya
01-11-2012, 12:52 AM
I like Cher Lloyd. :shifty:

demondude
01-11-2012, 06:17 PM
If those lyrics reach you on an emotional level then you should consider removing your testicles with pliers and then beating yourself to death with your sagging, bleeding and disembodied sack.

MJN SEIFER
01-11-2012, 08:35 PM
If those lyrics reach you on an emotional level then you should consider removing your testicles with pliers and then beating yourself to death with your sagging, bleeding and disembodied sack. I'm getting mixed signals here.:p

It's more what they REMIND me of, that reaches me, it's hard to explain - like when something was playing during an important moment (this wasn't, but hopefully you undrtdstand) what I took the lyrics to mean meant something to me, not the lyrics themselves. Also I tend to be naturally drawn towards samples, as I love them so much - so that kind of reaches me for personal reasons. I tend to like music so much, that takes a lot for a song to be so bad I hate it - like when you're such a huge fan (not fanboy, there's a difference) of a particular TV Series, that it takes a seriously bad episode for you to hate - most of the time the worst you do is dislike an episode. Most of the songs I don't like, are either ones, I don't care about, or dislike. I have to think about songs for a long time, to recall ones I actually hate, even though they do exist.

Jiro
01-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Same thing here man :p

MJN SEIFER
01-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Same thing here man :p Thanks :)

Skyblade
01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
I find the beat annoying, the vocals poor, the lyrics absurd, and the theme stupid and pointless. Even forgetting everything the song is trying to say, it doesn't sound good. Heck, it's almost painful to listen to. And then top it off with lyrics that are disjointed, incorrect, and rude, and the song has practically no redeeming value.

Why am I hating on it? Because you linked it to me. I listened to it for a sec because I also have music tastes outside the norm and I can put up with a lot of stupid lyrics for a pretty piece of music, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known it existed, and certainly wouldn't have sought it out and commented on it.

The haters exist for a reason, and part of that reason is you. You like the song. I understand that, I respect it. You share it with others. Also ok. But if the others you share it with don't like it, and say they don't like it, you have no one to blame but yourself. Why should haters go looking for things to hate when it is outright presented to them? And they have just as much a right to defend their opinions as you have to defend yours.

I'm not saying that the internet is not filled with trolls and idiots, but when a song is almost universally hated, it is usually because, well, people don't like it.

However, I do have a song that I feel prevays the message of listening to the things you like, even if other people disagree.

I have a better one: Guilty Pleasures, by the Nostalgia Critic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lis1bll3TAo)

MJN SEIFER
01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Skyblade. I don't mind people hating the song, may main goal was to find out why it was so publically hated, which I've found now. I'll still like the song because of the reasons I explained, but if you hate it, that's fine.

I have no problem with people simply stating their opinion like you are - I asked you, and you answered, that's fine. If I was asked about something I hated I'd say. The problem is the actual troll haters, who have to constantly hunt the fans down just to make a point, you're fine.

NeoCracker
01-15-2012, 12:38 PM
I love that review. XD

Though a song about guilty pleasures isn't quite the same thing. :p

And Pretense was the best one on that list. :p

Shattered Dreamer
01-15-2012, 04:34 PM
It being a guilty pleasure doesn't even defend how bad Swagger Jagger is :lol: But at the same time I don't lose sleep over people liking things as bad as Cher Lloyd's music but I do often considering saying a few prayers for them, & I'm not even religious :lol: