PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses

Jessweeee♪
01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
I want to get them. Not for a while, what with college tuition and badly needed repairs on my car I can't really afford an eye exam, but sometime before 2013. So I want to hear about EoFFers experiences with contacts. Happy stories, horror stories, everything!

TrollHunter
01-10-2012, 09:53 PM
I love my contacts, I hope I never have to go back to glasses...
The first few weeks takes a LOT of getting used to, but once you get it down it's well worth it. Well, it was to me at least.

Parker
01-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I had some irritation and it wasn't working out, so back to glasses :( I want to get lazerd tho. Pew pew!

Jessweeee♪
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
I've thought about the laser surgery, but because it's such a new technology there's no way of studying the very long-term effects. Maybe there will be an increase in blindness in the next thirty years!

Pike
01-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I wore contacts for a while. It took me a bit to get used to putting them in my eye but it wasn't so bad once I got used to it.

There are a lot of plus sides and negatives sides to contacts in my opinion. The plus sides are that you don't have to worry about getting glasses dirty and such. The negative side, for me anyway, is that if they're in for too long they make your eyes sticky. Your mileage may vary though. I'm currently just going with glasses, though. Less maintenance.

Shattered Dreamer
01-10-2012, 11:12 PM
I've worn glasses since I was 8 years old so as you can imagine I jumped at the chance to try contact lens. The verdict? I hated them! I could never get used to taking them out of my eyes & putting them in was usual a battle. Kind of a pity really, I wore them out one night & get hit on like 5 times :lol:

Shiny
01-10-2012, 11:32 PM
I use to wear glasses since I was fourteen. I just started wearing contact lenses last summer and at first it took me a while to get over the grossness of touching my eyeball. If you wash your hands and then use paper towel to wipe them it's really not that bad. It especially feels okay if it's lukewarm water, but feels weird with cold water. You get use to putting it end and taking them out. Just be sure you don't poke your eye when taking them out. There is a certain way you have to grip it from the side and hold your eye open.

They make day to day things better because no glares when playing video games or driving. No friggin' smudges. Hate smudges and if you ever intend on doing anything athletic it's obviously better with contacts. The only issue so far was being in the subway or just in humid conditions in general they get dry and itchy which can easily be resolved with a small container of eye drops. Another issue is when it rains, if you're out there without a hood or umbrella your eyes will burn ALOT.

Chris
01-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Had them for about three months, but then I had to eventually drop them. My eyes just couldn't handle them, and what is the use of being able to see, if you scare away people with bloody red eyes?

Jessweeee♪
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Humidity? Oh boy. My city is in the top ten humid cities in the US. I want to be able to wear sunglasses. My options are:

Super tacky clip-ons/hang-ons that probably don't even fit my frames
Wear them over my glasses like I do 3D glasses; very uncomfortable
Invest in one every expensive prescription pair and be stuck with that one pair
Don't wear glasses, I can have eight million pairs of cheap sunglasses that all fit comfortably on my face!

Shiny
01-11-2012, 03:13 AM
The expensive prescription pair is actually a good option because then you can get correct sunglasses with proper UV. I find that alot of sunglasses you can get for cheap don't actually really block the sun's rays. Lens Crafters has sales alot I think over the summer it was 50 percent off all frames.

NorthernChaosGod
01-11-2012, 04:27 AM
I love my contacts. They're so much more convenient than wearing glasses, especially during the summer when I lifeguard. It's also great not having a limited field of clear vision and I can wear any kind of sunglasses I want. :monster:

I wear monthly lenses and if I wear them for too long toward the end of their life they tend to get dry and feel uncomfortable, but that's about the only bad thing about them.

Rye
01-11-2012, 04:59 AM
I've been wearing them for almost 10 years now, I love them. No regrets. Just make sure you carry your glasses on you in your bag or your car, just in case a contact ever falls out or gets dirt in it. Not common (only happened once, really), but it can happen.

NorthernChaosGod
01-11-2012, 05:32 AM
I just remembered one horror story that happened quite a while ago. Within the first few weeks of me wearing contacts, I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but one of my contacts managed to roll up behind my top eyelid. It took some careful maneuvering and sticking my finger well beyond my comfort zone to get it back. :(

You should totally still get contacts though, because they're awesome.

Pike
01-11-2012, 02:39 PM
I just remembered one horror story that happened quite a while ago. Within the first few weeks of me wearing contacts, I'm not entirely sure how it happened, but one of my contacts managed to roll up behind my top eyelid. It took some careful maneuvering and sticking my finger well beyond my comfort zone to get it back. :(

Oh man that happened to me once too D:

Jessweeee♪
01-11-2012, 09:05 PM
Oooohhh I saw that happen to a guy once when I was in high school and it looked so painful omg ew ew ew

NorthernChaosGod
01-11-2012, 09:16 PM
It wasn't very painful, but quite bothersome to fix. It was kind of scary though, I was really freaked out about putting my fingers so close to my eyes still. :|

chionos
01-12-2012, 04:40 AM
I've worn contacts since I was 14. I prefer glasses though.

When I was in high school, I went for a couple days without taking my contacts out. On the third day of wearing them when I woke up in the morning I couldn't open my eyes. The contacts had fused to my eyeballs and caused a hallacious infection which had completely sealed my eyes shut. I had to go to the hospital and they had to cut my eyes open (worst sensation EVER) then squeeze out some of the infection then peel the contacts off my eyes after running iodine (I don't remember what that part was for but it was weird too) over my eyes several times. My eyes were patched for like a week or something, I don't remember exactly, but it was terrible.

I stopped wearing contacts and just wore glasses for a while after that. I might have never gone back to contacts but come to find out, glasses are just as dangerous. Later that same year I got elbowed in the face while playing basketball. The glasses shattered and cut my eye open and I wore an eye patch for several weeks.

1997 was a bad year for my eyes.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2012, 05:57 AM
Why the hell would you wear your contacts for that long without taking them out? I can go maybe 36 hours before they get too dry for comfort even if they're new.

Pike
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
I think I could go 12 hours max with my contacts in. I'd put them in in the morning, and then by dinnertime I'd be ready to take them out. They just made my eyes feel too dry and sticky. I think that's one of the big reasons I went back to glasses.

Chionos, your post... :barf: I am impressed you can still see, though.

chionos
01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I had just gotten new contacts that were supposed to breathe so well "you don't ever have to take them out." I took the doc literally. And they may have lasted longer but there was a lot of, uh, green goin' on that year.

Peegee
01-12-2012, 04:10 PM
OH!

I did wear contacts once. One of them.

My brother was like 'here I'll show you'

Then 5 minutes of struggling later he puts the contact in my eye

Whoa! this is neat!

Okay now we have to take it out

WAIT WHAT?

WHOA

AHHHHH

15 minutes later I was free. NEVER AGAIN

fashion master
01-12-2012, 04:49 PM
In water, you are exposing yourself to all sorts of harmful bacteria which traps itself under the lenses, I advise against wearing contacts for what you are about to do.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I had just gotten new contacts that were supposed to breathe so well "you don't ever have to take them out." I took the doc literally. And they may have lasted longer but there was a lot of, uh, green goin' on that year.
Well luckily you didn't go blind or something. If that hadn't happened, when did you plan to take them out? :p

sharkythesharkdogg
01-12-2012, 06:40 PM
When I went through basic training, we were instructed to remove our contact lenses. We'd be getting prescription glasses (BCG's) if we had eye issues, and contacts couldn't be worn during basic training.

Of course some dude didn't listen, and left his in. After about 3 weeks his eyes were trying to grow over the lenses or something outrageous like that. What I know for certain is that he had them in for at least 3 weeks straight and that the infection almost made him blind.

Stories like that, chionos, and NCG make me not want to try them.

:yuck:

chionos
01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I probably would have worn them until what happened happened.

I just talked to my mother, she said I didn't take them out for over a week, not just a couple days. My memory of before is not nearly as clear as what happened after.
That's basically what happened to me, sharky, it just happened at an accelerated rate, I guess because of the smoke, though it could have been different contacts or something else that caused it to happen so fast. Luckily I didn't suffer any loss of eyesight, but my eyes became way more sensitive after it happened. I'm not sure if it's because of some physiological effect the infection had on my eyes or a psychological repercussion of the ordeal.

NorthernChaosGod
01-12-2012, 07:17 PM
When I went through basic training, we were instructed to remove our contact lenses. We'd be getting prescription glasses (BCG's) if we had eye issues, and contacts couldn't be worn during basic training.

Of course some dude didn't listen, and left his in. After about 3 weeks his eyes were trying to grow over the lenses or something outrageous like that. What I know for certain is that he had them in for at least 3 weeks straight and that the infection almost made him blind.

Stories like that, chionos, and NCG make me not want to try them.

:yuck:
Lol, birth control glasses. Do you still have yours?

I don't think my story is that bad in hindsight, it just scared the ever loving piss out of me at the time. :p

sharkythesharkdogg
01-12-2012, 08:44 PM

:p I might. I haven't seen them in years. I used to comb my very short hair over and wear them to work whenever we had to wear our dress blues for uniform inspection. It was very "Revenge of the Nerds" and there was nothing they could do about it.

I even did it when random generals would come by to act all BAMF and make a big splash.

Pike
01-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Reading this thread is making my eyes hurt.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2012, 03:03 AM

:p I might. I haven't seen them in years. I used to comb my very short hair over and wear them to work whenever we had to wear our dress blues for uniform inspection. It was very "Revenge of the Nerds" and there was nothing they could do about it.

I even did it when random generals would come by to act all BAMF and make a big splash.
FIND THEM. And then take pictures. :monster:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Hm. I might have to dig up my BCGs if sharky does.

I leave my contacts in all the time. Like, always. I sleep in them and everything. When they fall out or start feeling wrong, I replace them. Usually about once every couple of weeks. But the contact in my right eye has been there for three weeks now.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2012, 04:59 AM
I don't know how you manage that, man. If I sleep in them, I end up blinking more than normal the next day just to keep them wet.

fire_of_avalon
01-13-2012, 11:37 AM
Just when I think I might try contacts out something like this happens.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Get them still! Become one of us.

Jessweeee♪
01-13-2012, 04:18 PM

foa we should try them at the same time we will be contact lense buddies!

sharkythesharkdogg
01-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Enjoy your searingly painful blindness. :colbert:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I just rinse my eyes out every morning right when I wake up and I am fine. I do tend to make more eye buggers when I leave them in, hence the daily morning rinsing.

NorthernChaosGod
01-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Enjoy your searingly painful blindness. :colbert:
Your negativity is not appreciated. :doublecolbert:

sharkythesharkdogg
01-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Actually this thread has me curious to try them.

Tigmafuzz
01-13-2012, 11:22 PM
Every time I put in contacts my eyes feel like they're trying to rip themselves out of my face. So I'm stuck being blind. Because I left my glasses somewhere in South America -.-

NorthernChaosGod
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Actually this thread has me curious to try them.
Doooooo iiiiit.

TrollHunter
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I feel like I'm in the minority of people who haven't gotten boned over by contacts at some point :|
I couldn't live without mine, hell, glasses give me so much more trouble.

Bunny
01-16-2012, 08:10 PM
I cannot wear contacts because whenever someone puts their finger near my eye, or whenever I see someone putting their finger near anything even vaguely resembling an eye, I freak out and run away. I wear glasses though.