PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about jobs you've had, Eyeson.

Pike
01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's the scoop: I'm working for a sinking ship retailer and they're cutting my hours all over the place. So I'm currently looking for another job.

I have no experience with anything aside from retail and as such I'm kind of scared to apply for anything that isn't, well, retail. But I don't want to start applying for a bunch of jobs at random with no idea what I'm getting myself into. So what I'm asking for is this: what sorts of jobs have you had in the past? What were they like? Were they easy to get into? Etc. Hearing other peoples' experiences might give me a better idea of what to look for or consider. Thanks in advance, friends <3

Oh, and I know this is General Chat, but let's try to keep this one at least marginally on-topic, shall we? :greenie:

Jessweeee♪
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
My current job is my first. I'm a secretary for a new US branch of an international company. There are complications with getting visas for my bosses and any international employees right, so right now I'm pretty much being paid to sit and browse EoFF eight hours a day and maybe answer a couple of phone calls and send a fax or two. When the bosses are able to be in the country, I do whatever they are too busy to do, or I do tasks that would typically be assigned to a professional in that field. My boss once asked me to see if I could find a place I could take a three month course to do paralegal stuff because the actual paralegals had to be paid like paralegals. So basically I do things that an accountant, marketing professional, or paralegal would do, but my boss and I have an understanding that he's getting exactly what he's paying for, that being a minimum wage employee with no college education.

Shiny
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM
I've been working as a "daddy" for years. My girls: Psychotic, NorthernChaosGod, and Cuchulainn work the corners from midnight to dawn. Business is good this time of year especially when you've got such fine specimens to work with, but when they get out of line they know I lay down my pimp hand and they best come correct. I know this seems cruel, but before you judge, remember that pimpin' ain't easy.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-14-2012, 06:04 PM
None of my jobs really apply to you. I had the high school jobs of fast food at Arby's, and the Toys 'R' Us where I'd assemble larger products in the back, buff floors, things like that.

Then there was Air Force meteorology, retail store manager, and now mechanic.

You love computers, have you thought about website maintenance or Iphone App creations? It could be something part time to help you make some money.

Iceglow
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
I've worked in retail mostly and unfortunately, I'm in the same predicament as you Pike in that the company I am working for is a sinking ship. I am not however the ships captain and therefore I will not be going down with that ship. I'm looking for other working arrangements and unfortunately for me one of the more obvious ones to look in to is actually going back a step or two and seeing if one of the local supermarkets, Marks and Spencer or Sainsbury's would be willing to take me on full time. Ironically even though I've just been promoted in the last few months my pay would probably come up the same with some additional benefits such as cheaper meals at work, lack of travel needed and pay that would definitely increase each year following the inflation trends etc I would however hate the job and that too might just be what I need because I will definitely devote time to leaving that field if I end up in there again.

Other job types I have had over the past 10 years include:

Waiting tables, I actually enjoyed it for the most part, it's fast, furious and there is always something to do. I never once complained as a waiter that I was bored or had nothing left to take care off, whether it was cleaning the tables, polishing cutlery, filling the condiments, checking the salad bar, cleaning the drinks bar, cleaning the pot-wash down or whatever there's always work and I hate standing around doing sweet fuck all more than anything else in the world, even when getting paid for it. Tips were also always a pleasant bonus here, I could most weeks live off my tips alone thus saving the full extent of my wage packet for good times. Of course at the time my bills were a hell of a lot lower. The downsides to this job are simple; the hours suck, they're nearly always flexible and that means you could end up working almost no time in a week but the next week work for in excess of 80 hours! Pay is usually on the minimum wage and doesn't increase often. Some customers are fucking atrociously behaved and deserve to be slapped but you can't because they're customers.

I spent the latter half of a summer working in a bicycle store. Considering the bikes we sold were sports and extreme sports bmx models and the cost of one of these bad boys (upwards of £500 for a basic model from a reputable brand, for a good model people will spend over £1000 on their bike) most parents purchase the bike extremely early before Christmas so that by Christmas it's all paid for and there's no delays in getting it. Also all parents want a bike brought for their kids to be built, ready and there to go immediately. Kids don't have the patience to wait. My job wasn't shop floor I was back of house upstairs in their warehouse rooms building the bikes it was good fun especially since we had to test the bikes as we built them to ensure they wouldn't come apart under the use they were built for. To this end there was a box and a couple of quarter pipes up there in one end of the room we'd wrap the frames in soft padding so no harm could come to them and ride them around. I will state now; the pay was fucking terrible.

Working as a Car Cleaner! Ok this was with my brother when he did car cleaning or should we be posh and call it "valeting" lol. Well it was outdoors which is a big change for me, usually I'm indoors outta the elements and even in the summer it was pretty cold in the mornings I learnt the value of thermals doing this in the winter with him. Money is surprisingly good tbf depending on how quick you can clean cars and what the weather is like. My brother cleaned for Ford and Jaguar and a couple of other car brokers in their showrooms all over East Anglia so we always got work which was great.

Worked as an office cleaner. When my Mom's arthritis first started getting bad, she worked as a cleaner and did office cleaning. She couldn't manage the offices alone and so usually I'd end up volunteering to go along with her and help her with the stuff she couldn't do. Her boss after about a month of me doing this on at least a weekly basis actually offered to make it official so I got paid the same as my Mom.

I've had a fair few jobs tbf, wouldn't mind getting my ass in to an office to experience it if nothing else.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-14-2012, 07:28 PM
Hmm. Let us see...
During middle school and high school I helped my dad with his business. He specializes in marine construction and floatation. So we pretty much re/built docks and floating homes/boat houses. We also did some boat bottom cleaning. But mostly it was putting foam floatation cubes underneath building to keep them floating.

Right out of high school I got a summer job sorting already packaged clothing at a Columbia Sportswear distributing center. My wife's (girlfriend then) father works there as one of the head honchos, which is how I got the job.

And then once summer was over I joined the Marine Corps and became a Helicopter Mechanic.

Hopefully once I get out of the Marines and go to school I can get another cool job.

Zeldy
01-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I've had several jobs; worked at HMV, Next, DW Sports and I'm now working at Blockbuster. Done voluntary work at a farm, but that doesn't really count. I've always been really good at getting jobs, I've never applied for a job and not got it, I always put that down to working at Next, looks super on my CV.

I was so happy getting the call back from Blockbuster last month it was, I'm still really new. I'd applied in September and was devastated when I didn't hear back, then in November got a call out of the blue, had an induction, an interview and got the job. Found out later that my application was hand-picked out of about 70 and that I was who the manager was excited about contacting. So good! I now get paid to talk about films and games :excited:

Shlup
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
All of my job experience is in education, so trying to find a job when no fields of education were hiring was a nightmare. I worked at Disneyland in high school and Target for like a week when I was a college freshman, but other than that it's been nursery schools and preschools and public schools. With those as experience, I couldn't find any jobs other than subbing, so I started selling my crafts online.

Just keep applying for stuff. It'll work out.

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I've mostly just done retail, apart from the whoring. Looking into bar work now.

Parker
01-14-2012, 10:46 PM
i made tinsel for a while. like for christmas trees. one time this guy got his fingers all cut up in the tinsel machine (the tinsel is like shiny sheets of plastic that come on a roll like tape. nasty blades cut it up and wrap it around the string in the middle) he was mean tho, pretty funny XD

Crop
01-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Mostly retail for me too: Iceland, Londis, Argos. The last job I had before I went to the US was working in the office of my councils Legal Department. It was easily the best job I've had, hours and pay were good, all the staff were great and I often got to leave early and still get paid for the hours I wasn't there.
Sadly my contract ran out and couldn't be renewed, but I'm looking for employment at the moment, office work is what I'm hoping for, I hope never to go back to retail - I hated it.

Old Manus
01-15-2012, 12:35 AM
Found out later that my application was hand-picked out of about 70 and that I was who the manager was excited about contacting. So good!http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/210/918/1322783614001.jpg

rubah
01-15-2012, 02:36 AM
My first job was in high school. My friend worked at a local burger place and mentioned that they'd laid off a bunch of people recently. I drove over, talked to one of the managers, had a job by the end of the week. I made milkshakes and took orders. My arms would be delicious when I got off work. I worked there for a summer and quit when school started because fuck that.

second jobs were tutoring and grading in college. I learned a lot of thermodynamics. These were pretty easy to get into since students are lazy and departmental coffers run full.

third job is customer service for vibeo grabes. It's not so bad!

Peegee
01-15-2012, 05:39 AM
If your background is in retail and you are trying to branch elsewhere, try to highlight your soft skills and then frame your hard skills to be 'this is what I know but I'm eager to learn'

Every time somebody talks about getting a job or interviews or resumes I post this (https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183591_10150109516832378_512802377_6359561_5306117_n.jpg). My idiot friend swore in the image so I won't hotlink it (he said the s word)

I should edit that word out, but i can't be bothered. OKAY my job history.

When I was 16 years old and had absolutely no job experience I was hired by the company my dad worked for as a contractor during the summer. The company was a telecommunications installation corporation (I don't bloody remember the name - I know my dad used to work for Riser (like the term for a closet, iirc)) and my job basically was involved in terminating telephone (voice) and RJ-45 (data) cables once they were pulled and run into the office furniture position. Everything was taught to me on-site and I helped with some of the small stuff like pulling 100s of feet of cable all over the place. Man memories. I don't even know what happened to those guys bc my dad doesn't talk to them any more.

I made 10$ an hour. I had no expenses. I blew 100$ a day at the arcade like the middle east probably spends America's allocated wealth when it buys oil (omg so much money let's just throw it into Dubai)

....Anyway I did this job for a couple of years, and every year my dad would increase my wage. I eventually maxed out at 18$ an hour after 3 or 4 years, which was when my dad quit his job as he was expecting layoffs and took with him several clients.

Anyway after high school I worked a short 2 month stint at Wendy's. I helped set up a new store and was a burger guy after I was trained to do everything else. The only thing I can say about a burger place is don't work there unless you have to - it's incredibly stressful during rush hour. However it was my first job where, for a lack of better words I was basically a robot. You want to be a robot, right? I love robotic work - when a system is set up that is streamlined by role, you can min/max your performance to reap optimal gainz.

Basically I'm saying I was an awesome goofball who made wendy's burgers.

After I switched majors from some sort of programming, I took a 3 week contract at a pharmacy. Nothing complicated - they needed us to repaint some several dozen racks that hold merchandise, then install the stuff. I got to spend 8 hours a day with 3 other azn (lol) kids - one was older than I was by quite a bit. I think this was when I subconsciously realized not to stick with blue collar work lest I end up like him. I mean he was awesome but like the guy who trained me in Wendy's he was in his 20s or late 20s or something and had no escape plan.

I'm telling you to look for a new job as an escape plan. Always move up.

I took the Wendy's job for 7.25 an hour and this pharmacy job for 7$ an hour. The pharmacy job was because a friend of my mom asked her - both times I worked those jobs because there wasn't enough work for the telecom installer.

When I was in my younger 20s I learned the rest of the telecommunications installations stuff. There's two ends to everything. One is in a big cool room where these metal stands are mounted to the ground and we terminate piles and piles of cables in an orderly manner. My dad is excellent - he taught me to run cables so that they don't end up tangled, and everything is fed in a specific manner to be very clean. I have seen some very sloppy crap in my day, and I can assure you my work never looks like that.

I'm now telling you that the work you leave behind should be a representation of you

I also learned how to terminate fiber optic cables! Man was that fun!

Anyway that job didn't go anywhere long term as you probably know. I spent a summer in Hong Kong where I worked as an auditor - very junior, time wasting nonsense. My uncle got me to make sure that the reported records sent in by his customers added up to what they claimed, and I was basically there to keep busy. They paid me the equivalent of about 800$ a month (a stipend) which I spent in the weekend drinking and being a huge slut.

Basically the best job ever. No I'm kidding. It was just fun.

Also you should note in this long winded story that I've never done a job that required a college education. The telecommunications installer job was a godsend in the sense that normally an accredited installer required a week long crash course in a program that costs about 3 grand.

It covered (loosely) how do physically do everything I already knew, plus the specifics of planning that I didn't (how far away our cables had to be from everywhere else, how far away from the switch room cables could be dragged before signal strength was too attenuated to be efficient (hey allies I used a physics term!)) - but was loosely familiar with in the testing process (oh so that's what those words meant!)

Um...so that takes me to being 25 or 26 years old. At that time I came back, and was just bumming around the house. I thought about going back to Wendy's at some point (NOOOOOO) when I was shown this advertisement for a contracting company (Kelly Services). KS was hiring people to contract out to IBM for a new contract they had acquired. Bascially AT&T's internal helpdesk is (was..i'm pretty sure it's 'is' but I'm not 100%) contracted out to IBM where we acted as the level 1 helpdesk for problem description and hopefully first point resolution for their nonsense. omg outlook doesn't work. omg how do i use excel. omg windows. That sort of thing. If you think that's easy it's because it was. While we started with like 100 agents in order to basically maintain an acceptable initial level of performance, we eventually thinned out the ranks until 100 became...um...10. And the 10 of us took 75% of the calls every day. The rest eventually went to India.

Um..the summary here was that I helped people do desktop stuffs. Again all was trained on the spot. You could do this job Pike. You could do any of my jobs, actually.

After 2 years of this I was hired to do something else within the AT&T helpdesk umbrella. If you remember AT&T history they merged with (this was when I was hired btw, or around then) um... SBC [actually SBC bought out AT&T) and Bellsouth and some company that started with C or something I can't confirm in wikipedia. So they needed us to merge BellSouth's all wonky internal active directory (the system that manages users, computers, network drives, printers, etc) with the existing system that we were able to convince the other companies to follow. I was hired to basically do activations and changes to that system. We processed by my calculation something like 15 thousand (that's with 3 zeros) orders per month. I eventually quit that job for two reasons: the first was they kept cutting my wage, and the second was that I was basically goofing around for 6 hours every day because I was able to do 150 tickets in 2 hours, and it basically gave me ... 26 hours to do the next ticket (the turnaround time expected was 24 hours per ticket, so I was a thief and a jerk and a whatever and realized that I could work based on the assigned ticket's entry date, rather than work the whole day). Eventually they caught on when they ran the metrics and I was like well um er I just close tickets fast I guess??

Anyway I was going to be let go in a year anyway - the initial contract was for 5 years and there's zero reason to hire a contractor as an IBM employee to do a job that a contractor at contract wages was working.

That's when I go this current job which I'm STILL trying to escape. Now I work for the largest bank in the country basically telling commercial customers how to push money around. I sometimes streamline casual conversations to say that all I do is support some user-based java program that functions like a web banking interface, but it's so much more than that. Payroll, direct debits [automatic clearing house] , Positive Pay, Disbursement Auditor, wholesale lockbox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_management), arg my head hurts I can't itemize it. If I have to update my CV i'm just going to ask my supervisor to send a link to my own job description.

The point though is even this job was taught on the fly. I spent like 2 months training until my brain was stuffed and i was passing out during the day when stuffed to capacity.

--

So that's that. Right now I'm still at my last job, functioning at roughly the best agent on the desk despite being a new hire. That's only because my supervisors demand high turnover for their best performers. Everybody I look up to has been promoted, and since I came back from vacation I have been using the bank's internal self study programs to refresh myself on things like windows servers, and then later I'll refresh on active directory and the like. My friend (who got me this job) just got hired to do another job that sounds much easier than this job with more pay. This is my last bit of advice: I'm a lazy bastard so FIND A JOB THAT IS EASIER BUT PAYS MORE Don't tell me that they don't exist - there's CEOs that do nothing but have control over a bunch of stocks which they do insider trading or whatever to control prices to go up and down. That's like the super easiest job ever. Even easier than the time I wrote an essay lambasting globalisation just to get laid. So yeah easy jobs - go get one.

NorthernChaosGod
01-15-2012, 07:01 AM
I've had three jobs, none of which are particularly hard to get into.

My first job was in high school, I worked at Vons as a bagger for a while. It was alright, I kind of hated it, but I liked having money so I kept at it for a while. I kind of wish I had stuck with it longer though and taken it a bit more seriously, but I was only 17 when I started. This probably doesn't help you. :p

My second job was probably my favorite. I worked overnight stocking the shelves at Walmart. It was hard work but the day usually went by pretty quickly since there was so much to be done. I wouldn't recommend this since it's so physically tiring.

My "current" job is working summers as a lifeguard at a water park. It's not particularly hard to get into as long as you're a decent swimmer and not a complete shit while on the clock. This one has its ups and downs, but it's pretty cool on days that aren't too busy. I enjoy talking to the guests quite a bit, especially the ladies. /smug

I realize that none of this helps you. Sorry, Pike. :p

Pike
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Reading about all of your guys' job-related exploits is super interesting!

Here's mine, for anyone who cares:

Bozeman Inn - this was my first "real" job. I was still in high school (and later freshman year of college) and worked as a housekeeper where I made beds, cleaned rooms and stuff. Lasted a little over a year and then I left due to scheduling conflicts (and because the job sucked). Made $7/hr.

Target - Worked here for three years. Started as a cashier, then got thrown into Food Ave, Guest Service Desk, and finally the Photo Lab. By the time I left I could do anything they wanted me to do on the front end and the managers loved me for it. Most of the job sucked but the Photo Lab was actually pretty great. I quit because I decided to go jobless senior year of college so I could focus on final projects and stuff. Started at minimum wage ($6.50 back then) but ended at $9/hr.

GameStop - Worked here for about four or five months. Quit because I wasn't a big fan of management and because I was getting no hours (there were weeks when I was only scheduled for one or two six-hour days). $7/hr.

PetSmart - Worked here for three years. Stressful but I loved it. I was a Pet Care Lead which meant I was in charge of taking care of the animals and telling people that you can't put a goldfish in a bowl. This job had a ridiculously steep learning curve because you had to learn about, for example, over a hundred species of tropical fish, what they eat, how they interact, etc. but once I had it down it was glorious. Started at $7/hr, ended at $9.44/hr. The only reason I quit is because of a family emergency that dragged me out to WA state.

Sears - I worked here for a month short of a year. I was a sales associate who sold people things like riding mowers, power tools, auto accessories, etc. I was terrible at it, mostly because I am a terrible salesman (I don't like being pushy). This was a commission-based job so on good days I could make up to $11-$12/hr but really I was probably averaging about $9.50. I quit because it was a 45 minute drive away (and because I was terrible at it.)

OfficeMax - I had this job for three weeks! :p I quit because I was given the chance to move back to Montana and I jumped on it. I enjoyed this job while I had it, though. $9/hr.

Kmart - This is where I work now. I'm a Service Desk associate which means I'm basically in charge of the front end and I have to keep track of money, herd the cashiers around, solve problems, etc. I make $9.50/hr. It's not bad when I'm not dealing with customers; unfortunately that's a part of the job description.

Ya'll can see why I want to get out of retail. Unfortunately, as much as I LOVE Montana, there isn't much here in the way of jobs. So I keep coming back to retail because it's really all we have here, and because I'm so experienced with it by this point that I'm pretty much guaranteed a promotion within weeks anytime I get a new retail job. Anyways, mostly at this point I'm just looking for something that can sustain me as a day job while I work on getting more books published. :kakapo:

Shiny
01-15-2012, 02:44 PM
I've never done retail. I applied to Apple, but didn't get it because they basically want people who don't know their products. Go figure. Remember that next time you ask anyone for help at the Genius Bar.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Two retail jobs I always thought might be interesting would be running a plant nursery or a used book/record store.

Working with different plants, and maintaining that sort of thing sounds like hard work. It also sounds enjoyable for some reason.

The used book/store music store is for when I'm old and retired, so I can shuffle around with my can like a crotchety old man. I'll yell at kid's taste in music and tell them to go listen to Annihilator (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTYHYglem-M).

Kossage
01-15-2012, 07:03 PM
I've had quite a colourful job history so far: gardener, construction worker, librarian, museum guard/guide, and most recently a salesman at the government-owned liquor store. :)

Levian
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Cashier at a grocery store
Slave at a festival (counting money)
Foreman at the docks
Terminal Expeditor at the docks
Receptionist at a hotel
Accountant

the ones at the docks were summer jobs, the festival was a 4 day thing, the hotel and grocery store were part time jobs, and the last one is a full time job that I started last week. Probably going to stick around doing that for the rest of my life or something.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2012, 10:21 PM
Here's the scoop: I'm working for a sinking ship retailer and they're cutting my hours all over the place.

I didn't know you worked aboard the Costa Concordia! Was it scary when it started going down? :o No wonder they're cutting your hours though, the thing's half underwater.

Tigmafuzz
01-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm surprised nobody's posted "I've got a *job* for ya ;)" yet.
Hey Pike. I've got a *job* for ya. :redface:

Peegee
01-16-2012, 05:16 AM
Cashier at a grocery store
Slave at a festival (counting money)
Foreman at the docks
Terminal Expeditor at the docks
Receptionist at a hotel
Accountant

the ones at the docks were summer jobs, the festival was a 4 day thing, the hotel and grocery store were part time jobs, and the last one is a full time job that I started last week. Probably going to stick around doing that for the rest of my life or something.

Accountant :o
next best thing is like a CFA or somesuch

Rye
01-16-2012, 05:20 AM
My first job was at TJ Maxx, when I was 16/17. I did that for about a year. Then I worked for a few months at Gamestop, before my switching over to my office job as a customer service troubleshooter for a major beverage company. I started that in 2008. It's now 2012 and I gave my notice of leaving as of Friday. I'm starting a position in Manhattan as a copywriting/digital media intern for a digital consultancy firm for the next three months, and I will hoping (if they like me), have a full time paid position at this place upon graduation.

fire_of_avalon
01-16-2012, 05:27 AM
I collect dead animals and give them to the sanitation department for five bucks a pop.

Sometimes I eat the ones with fresh meat still on them.

Rianoa
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I've had a few jobs my first job was a receptionist for a fencing and landscaping company and I was never trained or given any work to do and when I asked if there was anything I could do they left me sat there doing nothing so they fired me for "Doing nothing but sit on the internet and I should ask for more work to do" I constantly asked for work but they said there was nothing I can do so I gave in dicks ¬_¬.

I worked at a takeaway place for some extra cash and they were from turkey and they constantly hit on me stared at my boobs asked if I would go out with them until I quit XD

My job at the moment is working for a care consultancy company on an apprenticeship for £2.70 an hour as a apprentice administrator while doing my level 3 in business admin. I basically pick up after the accountant and the lazy administrator who sits on facebook all day who gets £6.50 an hour. So I do her work she does not have 'time' to do, also clean the toilets the office and the kitchen and get yelled at for "I asked you to send this guarantied next day delivery!" "I couldn't because you didn't have enough money in the petty cash tin." "You should of come back, when I ask you to do something you should fucking do it!" (Even though if I did come back there still wouldn't be enough money in the tin but she seemed intent on going down with the ship). The company is going bust so I may have to look for another job soon XD

(I wish this was exaggeration but it's not, all true experiences... I have bad luck I once played monopoly and rolled ones and twos the entire game -_-.

Bunny
01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
My first job was working for my uncle at his plant nursery with a side job working for his landscaping business. Both jobs sucked and the pay was pretty atrocious (100/week for 63 hours per week; Sunday - Saturday, 8am - 5pm). I was 14 and it was a short summer job while my family moved from Oregon back to California following my mom's death. His excuse for the low pay was that the rest went towards room and board. My excuse is that he was a douchebag.

My second job was for an environmental waste disposal company. I was in charge of receiving, sorting, and filing order forms in the appropriate place. It was a placeholder until my next job and only lasted a few months. The pay was fine for a part-time job and the people were nice enough.

My third, and most recent job, was a paper pushing monkey in the military. It sucked and I hated it which is why I'm no longer in the military.

Now I'm a lazy bum and student. I also do a small amount of construction, woodworking/metalsmithing, and 'coding' work when necessary but that isn't really a job despite it being paid work.

Iceglow
01-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Oh well I'm going to have to clarify my current job. It seems I do not work in the flagship branch of a record store company which is slowly beginning to fail after all. No what it seems to be is that I work on the Titanic and it's already post Iceberg, it's a matter of time til this ship is gone. Time to make like I'm first class or a rat and abandon ship!

cloud_doll
01-16-2012, 11:58 PM
I've only worked in restaurants. With my experience, a retail store won't even touch my resume. However, restaurants can sometimes be a little more lenient, as it's fairly easy. Being a server or waiter can be good if you need good money. But can also be very stressful...

My most recent job was at a retirement community. It was an upscale one with a fine dining room where I was a server. It was absolute hell. Old people are much worse than you think.

OMG I jut noticed you live Montana. I love Montana. I have family that lives in Lewistown. Try finding a job there.

If you still live in Bozeman have you thought of attending University?

Freya
01-17-2012, 12:30 AM
I had babysitting jobs but my first real job was at a Movie theater in 08
Then I was a waitress at a little cafe Fall 2010 - Spring 2011
I also worked at a Convenient store from Fall 2010-summer 2011
I have been working at a nursery in a church since Aug 2010
I worked as a secretary at a Real estate and Auction company from early spring 2011- winter 2011
And Gamestop from well actually this month is a full year there now

Yeah I held a lot of jobs at the same time. I find it amusing that the three people work at gamestop are girls on this forum. Who's your hardcore gamers now :monster:

Peegee
01-17-2012, 12:37 AM
I've only worked in restaurants. With my experience, a retail store won't even touch my resume. However, restaurants can sometimes be a little more lenient, as it's fairly easy. Being a server or waiter can be good if you need good money. But can also be very stressful...

My most recent job was at a retirement community. It was an upscale one with a fine dining room where I was a server. It was absolute hell. Old people are much worse than you think.

OMG I jut noticed you live Montana. I love Montana. I have family that lives in Lewistown. Try finding a job there.

IIRC she has post secondary. I'm pretty surprised she didn't post in my thread about college and work. Or maybe I have a bad memory and need to be kicked in the teeth.

G13
01-17-2012, 12:46 AM
I've worked at various pizza places around Spokane, building and shipping at a window manufacturing company, I stocked shelves and helped little old ladies to their cars at Walmart, and now I help off and on at a friend's construction company.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Yeah I held a lot of jobs at the same time. I find it amusing that the three people work at gamestop are girls on this forum. Who's your hardcore gamers now :monster:
Not the people working at Gamestop. :p

41-Inches-Wide
01-17-2012, 02:34 AM
I get all these outsourcing jobs.

Pike
01-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Been there, done that, got the piece of paper and 36k debt to prove it! And yes, isn't Montana glorious?

I find it amusing that the three people work at gamestop are girls on this forum. Who's your hardcore gamers now :monster:

Hey now, I did get second place. >:3

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/justice.png

Yar
01-17-2012, 06:08 AM
I used to do restoration work for a titty company. You know, like after a family has a housefire we had to go clean tit up. smurf that job.

I also worked at Chuck E Cheese. smurf that place too.

Now I have two jobs. My first one is my internship. Make copies, answer phones, speak Japanese. It's fun and pays well for me. I like it there. :)

My other job is teaching English to two Japanese kids. It's fun too, I guess. It gets kinda boring after a while though.

escobert
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
I've had about 4 billion jobs from Mcdonalds in high school to building plasma cutters. I've worked in kitchens cooking, on farms tending horses, haying and milking cows to building buildings! I like to try a little of everything and learn as much as I can.

SammieBabe
01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
I've done alot, but spent the majority of the last 10 years in hotels. I've done everything from Concierge, Front Desk, Night Audit, Reservations, and helped with Bell and Housekeeping. I'm currently doing Accounts Payable and Recievable.
If you have experience in housekeeping, you might be able to use it as a springboard to other things in Hospitality, if you're still interested that is.
And my boyfriend is originally from Bozeman :love:

chionos
01-17-2012, 07:03 PM
My first job ever was in fast food in high school. Since then I've worked in a hotel as desk clerk/night auditor; I've been a car salesman; I lived on the road for a while auditing cable companies; I've tutored almost every level of academia, from teaching 5 year olds how to talk to helping lazy college kids understand physics and calculus; I was a waiter for a while then a bartender and front-end manager. My last job was as a library director and I'm currently working toward professorship. I've also done some freelance editing/writing, mainly in the realm of memoirs and essays.

Pike
01-17-2012, 08:38 PM
And my boyfriend is originally from Bozeman :love:

You have glorious taste in boyfriends!

Laddy
01-23-2012, 01:38 AM
I'm the motherfuckin' Scourge of Humanity, bitches.

I'm not doing a very good job. :(

Ashi
01-24-2012, 07:31 PM
As an IT/Business grad (that didn't specialize in Human Resources/Recruitment) somehow most my internships and part-time/limited contracts were in Human Resources at different companies. Never saw myself as an HR person really.

Currently, I'm a recruiter for a local bank around here. The scope of my recruitment is both diverse but rigid. Sometimes it feels like we've had really crazy requirements and insane amounts of work coming in, but overall it's been good. Was never good at making contacts everywhere but somehow it's happening, slowly but surely...

bogert
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Recently, I am working online and it is my first experience as far as my Job is concerned.I am working as an Data Entry Operator in Adsense.

Araciel
02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
first jerb was as kitchen staff @ a sports camp. Job was shiite but we got to live at the camp and use all the facilities.

then I worked in a call centre after moving out of my parents house when I was in my second last year of highschool.. I soon dropped out to work fulltime.

Went back to highschool and finished then became a construction bum... roofing, siding, installing ductwork, etc.

Got a job at indian casino and liked it. I was a VIP coordinator, basically gave the rich people free stuff for spending money at our house of gamblage. Then I transferred to slot attendant, hand paying people cash jackpots... this was easily the best most rewarding (emotionally and monetarily) job i've had to date, what with tips and positive atmosphere.

then I got laid off, lamented for a bit, sponged off of other people (including my girlfriend at the time) and became depressed. got dumped, moved around, thought about becoming a cop or military because it was easy to join up... then worked at a factory and saw an add online for a new call centre job... applied and found out it's for one of the 3 major telecommuncations companies in Canadia, and found out my starting salary is higher than my dad's for some reason.

Been working there three years now and have had marginal success in getting promoted to new position making more money and spreading more evil across the land.

Also blowjobth

Use the edit button, bro. -G13
O yea that

Peegee
02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Also blowjobth

quoted for immortality.

Unbreakable Will
02-07-2012, 05:43 AM
Jobs I've had;
Engineering company portfolio sorter (I shit you not that was the job title)
Dollar Tree cashier
Cattle farmhand
Construction worker
Quiznos sandwich maker
Walgreens photoshop guy
Cicis Pizza employee

I'm 21 and have had 7 jobs, while this might look bad from a longevity standpoint at first glance I had the grand majority of these jobs for well over six months each and started working when I was 14. I'm now looking to get into the National Guard so I can support my kid better financially.

Jiro
02-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Jironalist in two forms.