PDA

View Full Version : Something I've been wondering for a while now.

MJN SEIFER
01-16-2012, 12:25 AM
I know it won't happen, but let's say I was the the offical writer for some television series, or something (i.e. I actually created the whole show, as opposed to just writing some of the episodes), but I still use the internet in my free time. Obviously, my TV Series will have some form of fan following online (it's my thread, so I'll say it has a good following, why not? :p).

Now, if I was to write a story about my own TV Series that is noncanon from the show's actual storyline, and put it online, would it still be considered fanfiction? just wondering?

Tigmafuzz
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
I'm fairly certain it would be considered a side-story or a spinoff. Or people would call it something completely different from the series. It would either be considered two different things completely, or the second would be called a spinoff. Or someone would say, "this guy only had one original idea and now he's trying to steal from his own work to make it look like he still has fresh concepts" and act all hipster-y because they want to be cool.

Bunny
01-16-2012, 07:58 PM
It depends upon your intent. If you intend it to be something directly connected to the canon of the story itself, then it would be considered so. If you only wished to write something in the realm of fan fiction, then it would be fan fiction.

Agent Proto
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm going to agree with Bunny. However, because it's noncanon from the show, it'll be fan fiction despite being the creator of the show, because the events from the writing are not shown in the show. However, I would think the contents could be considered canon if you decided to name some characters or places that were unnamed on your show.

Peegee
01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I think the answer is questioned and asked. So I have something to add:

kevin smith's batman: cacophony and the widening gyre are official DC comics that were published. However canonically neither comic series ever happened.

Which is good because Kevin Smith, the crazy mofo, makes it so Batman wets himself in Batman: Year one (when he was spooking out the mob bosses). He also kills off major minor characters.

(he kills off Silver St. Cloud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_St._Cloud))

What a goofball. You can't trust him to do anything without dick and fart jokes.

The point is I think that anything a fan does that isn't endorsed by the copyright owner is non-canonical.

Del Murder
01-25-2012, 02:51 AM
Shows and comics have done non-canon episodes in the past, so it wouldn't be without precedent. I'm sure many writers would love to write a story where they kill off the main character, or make them gay or something.