PDA

View Full Version : Finally, we can get some privacy here... kekeke

41-Inches-Wide
01-17-2012, 04:01 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1701/myroom3s.png

After 25 years, I finally have a space to call my own. :cry: Built from cement scratch and some hollowblock and metal, adjacent to our main house. Painted a light blue and waiting for me to paint it with Rococo flowers and Super Mario clouds.

I've never had my own room before so it feels so LIBERATING to have personal space. I was always having to sleep beside people and I never have privacy at all; I got sick of it last year, sick to my guts. In my mind, I'm like-- I'm 25 years old, shouldn't I at least have an area of my own where people don't just barge in while I'm not yet fully clothed, my stuff mixing with other family member's stuff, cry when I want to without people all up in my business and have a bed that I don't have to share?

Do you feel the same way? Do you have any privacy at all?
How private is your room? :jess:

escobert
01-17-2012, 04:27 PM
yay! I can't wait to have my own place again. I had a house I was living in but I lost my job a few months ago and now I'm living in my girlfriends parents basement :(

Pike
01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
My room is pretty private. Which is nice.

I had an apartment for a couple of years before I ran out of money. It was awesome and filled with boxes and crap because the only things I ever bothered to unpack were my computer and video games. Can't wait to have one of those magical places again...

Anyways, congrats to you for getting your own little place :jess:

Peegee
01-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I don't have a lock on my room. FFS I had a lock on my room in every house I rented.

But I'm just playing. I have a very nice room. It has a double (size) bed, a dresser with 4 shelves, a bed-side drawer thing, and a book shelf with my huge collection of desu and masu, and a desk (like for writing stuff) I never use xD

I put my laptop on my dresser and use it on my bed. The desk is only there to hold my hydroponics-powered super plant.

Shiny
01-17-2012, 05:08 PM
When I was younger I use to sleep in the same room as my brother in bunk beds and he would also tease me in the middle of the night by flicking me. He was on the top bunk. Then when I got older I had to sleep in the same bed as both my brother and father in a basement and that was really bad because my brother was a chronic bed wetter. Eventually I was able to get my own bedroom and it was so much better. More room for all my toys and stuff and now I have my own bedroom and office area. It's so much better to have lots space for my clothes and no clutter. It will be interesting when I get my own apartment having to have a roommate -- hopefully we can have separate bedrooms though.

Psychotic
01-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Jesus christ Aicha that would have utterly ruined me. I love privacy. I hate people going in my room or sleeping in the same room as other people.

chionos
01-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Jesus christ Aicha that would have utterly ruined me. I love privacy. I hate people going in my room or sleeping in the same room as other people.

Awww, someday you'll get a girlfriend (or boyfriend, w/e) and you won't feel that way anymore. You'll get to sleep with someone someday, man, I promise.

Personally, I'm married and have 3 children. I wouldn't know what privacy was if I didn't have a little closet of an office that's my personal gtfo space.

Psychotic
01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Yeah I guess it's time I finally got lucky. Will you let me borrow your <s>Plastic Pamela</s> uh, that is, "wife"? I have a puncture repair kit ready if needs be.

NorthernChaosGod
01-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I had to share a room with my brother from the time he was born until I was about fourteen-years-old. It sucked trying to get any play. :p

My room now isn't very fucking private because people like to just barge in without knocking. :nonono: Worst of all, people will barge in and start talking to me as soon as the door is open, no matter what I'm doing. Chill, brah, I'm on the phone.

chionos
01-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Yeah I guess it's time I finally got lucky. Will you let me borrow your <s>Plastic Pamela</s> uh, that is, "wife"? I have a puncture repair kit ready if needs be.

No way man, Tuesday is date night and I'm feeling lucky.

Rianoa
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I love my own space I have kinda claimed two rooms in the house ones a room with games and my pc the other is just a plain ol bedroom the only advantage of being an only child ;).

I don't mind others coming into my space as long as they leave :cool:. I get annoyed by people who over stay their welcome, when my boyfriends around we can either play a game on the ps3/xbox together or do our own thing so its pretty coo' he's probably the only person I don't get annoyed with after long periods of time XD.

Madonna
01-17-2012, 08:27 PM
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1701/myroom3s.png

After 25 years, I finally have a space to call my own. :cry: Built from cement scratch and some hollowblock and metal, adjacent to our main house. Painted a light blue and waiting for me to paint it with Rococo flowers and Super Mario clouds.

I've never had my own room before so it feels so LIBERATING to have personal space. I was always having to sleep beside people and I never have privacy at all; I got sick of it last year, sick to my guts. In my mind, I'm like-- I'm 25 years old, shouldn't I at least have an area of my own where people don't just barge in while I'm not yet fully clothed, my stuff mixing with other family member's stuff, cry when I want to without people all up in my business and have a bed that I don't have to share?

Do you feel the same way? Do you have any privacy at all?
How private is your room? :jess:Wow, that is awesome; having your own personal room is pretty banging. It looks spiffy already, but once you paint some clouds and flowers in there, it will be even more gorgeous. Congratulations!

I get bent out of shape if I am around anyone for too long; having a little time to compose yourself can be nice. Growing up, my brothers and I shared a room, so moving out was a huge step and strange relief when I realized any space I got was mine.

Miriel
01-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Growing up, I always lived in houses with lots of people and then obviously in college you had your requisite roommates, but I think I've been spoiled in the past few years living with Del Murder. I have the whole place to myself most of the day, and a separate office to work out of too. Lots and lots of personal space. I could run around buck naked if I wanted to and no one would bother me! And I can stink up the house making whatever crazy concoctions in the kitchen and not have to worry about bothering anyone. Oh and being able to put a slice of cake in the fridge and NOT worry about someone eating it while I'm gone? Ahhh, such a sense of peace.

And so when I go back to visit my family and stay in a house full of people, it gets me all frazzled. Like, whaa? I have to put on pants? UGH, I hate wearing pants!

escobert
01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
Put some pants on dammit >:(

Chris
01-17-2012, 09:31 PM
I still live with my parents, but since both my older brother and my younger sister's moved out, there's a lot of room for privacy. I like my current situation, and even though I could probably afford a place of my own, I prefer staying put for the moment.

CelShadedDreams
01-17-2012, 09:59 PM
I used to share a room with my younger sister until I was 14. It got to the point where we hated each other and our sisterly bond was pretty much non-existent. Then my oldest sister moved out and I moved into her room and suddenly everything between me and my youngest sister was cool again. We weren't at each others throats every night and we became really close again.

Now I share a place with my other half and I have a little desk area that's exclusively mine even though we share all of our space. I think it's important to feel you have control over your own space, even if it's just a little corner

41-Inches-Wide
01-18-2012, 12:43 AM
Awww, someday you'll get a girlfriend (or boyfriend, w/e) and you won't feel that way anymore. You'll get to sleep with someone someday, man, I promise.

My boyfriend has an apartment and he lives there by himself. It's one of the places I crash when I get out very late. I like his room enough, and he's the only one I rather like catching deep ZZZs with (because he smells very nice) but it's very frustrating because I don't have my stuff there when I want to change. He did buy me a toothbrush and a face wash and placed it in his bathroom.

But still I want to have privacy. LEAVE AICHA ALONE! :cry:

I would never wish my experience on anyone else. We have a very big bed, but having so many people lounging around the bed you sleep in is traumatic, looking back. I keep wondering about their skin cells and hair strands infiltrating my corner.

Oh and being able to put a slice of cake in the fridge and NOT worry about someone eating it while I'm gone? Ahhh, such a sense of peace.

oh my god miriel I don't have a loan to take out to buy a fridge! :cry:

Bunny
01-18-2012, 04:09 AM
He did buy me a toothbrush and a face wash and placed it in his bathroom.

Oh shit, getting serious!

I share an apartment with my girlfriend. There is very little privacy between the two of us but it isn't really needed since I'm dating her anyway. I get to walk around naked whenever I want and I only receive complaints when the windows are open.

41-Inches-Wide
01-18-2012, 04:13 AM
What? Those are just bathroom stuff. :redface:

You can't walk around naked infront of your girlfriend all the time! :eek:

chionos
01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
What? Those are just bathroom stuff. :redface:

You can't walk around naked infront of your girlfriend all the time! :eek:

If she accepts it, it's totally acceptable. Nakedness is our heritage and it's still instinctive to want to be nude. Nudity is not weird on its own, it's only society's compunctions against nudity that make it weird. The absence of clothes would not be odd if there were no clothes in the first place.

Also, toothbrush you can get away with, face wash means it's on like donkey kong. Might as well get married. Well that might be an exaggeration, but if you ever start keeping tampons at his place...that's when you need to just give up.

Iceglow
01-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Growing up I had to share a room with my sister until I was like 7 years old. Then my older brother moved out which meant I had his room which was massive.

When I went to college my sister and mom, fed up of me sleeping round girls houses so often (girlfriend or not) and due to my sisters first pregnancy, swapped my room with my sisters room. My sisters room being the smallest of the 3 in the house. I had that room for a while actually and when I spend the night over my mom's it's still the room I sleep in even if it is my nephew's room now. My room was 6' by 7'11" I wish I was kidding on those dimensions. When I was engaged my fiance would spend at least half the week at my house, normally she was there Sunday night til Thursday which is when we'd head down to hers for the weekend. So I was very used to sharing that tiny room with someone else.

About a year or two after things breaking up with my fiance I ended up living in East London with my first girlfriend after my engagement. That was a 4 bedroom house with 7, sometimes 8 people living in it. I was the only English person there, the rest were all Polish. 4 girls and 1 dude plus me and my ex. The 3 girls who originally shared the upstairs bedrooms with me and my ex weren't actually all that bad. A man will not complain bout living with 3 gorgeous girls who aren't his girlfriend :P After 6 months in which the people living there changed somewhat and the original good atmosphere of the house had soured we moved out in to our own 1 bed flat.

Lived in a 1 bed flat for about 18 months, that was awesome even if that flat was not. After me and my ex broke up and she left me and moved out of the apartment (she had to pay around 5 months rent and council tax shares because she couldn't leave the tenancy agreement otherwise, we'd just signed a new 2 year extension of it after all) I had the flat to myself for the remainder of the contract. That was some of the best and worst experience of my life. I can safely say that I never wanna grow old alone or live in a place with no housemates or partner because it depressed the hell out of me in a way, I'm a social creature and needed social comfort. I also have to say having a place where no one judges you for bringing girls back home or having a lads night out pile back to your place ending in a feast of KFC and more beers is great.

After a brief stint back at my mother's in the box room again, I moved in to my current place. My current place is a 5 bedroom house share with 4 others. It's pretty cool and I don't have to worry bout disturbing them too much with noise at night since I live in a garage conversion on the ground floor. I have a power shower room and toilet/washroom right outside my door. Likewise it's rare that I get disturbed unless I want to be. So I have my private space and still get the social side of if I want it there's someone to talk to or watch a movie with all the time which is great and the girls I live with have already made a judgement about me but not a negative one. Their opinion of me sleeping around is just "Hey, if he can do it then fair play to him" which I like because it means I don't have to sneak a girl out of my room if I hooked up in a club the night prior (unless I wake up thinking "shit...why the fuck did I get a hold of you?" lol)

Shlup
01-19-2012, 06:52 AM
That looks like it'll be a nice space. I'm happy for you. I grew up an only child, so I love my privacy. After sharing a room with my husband for like seven years or something, I started to go insane so I turned his grandpa's study (we're renting their house) into a pretty craft room for me. I need this kind of thing for my sanity--I don't know how you went 25 years. Don't forget to post pics once you've decorated!

Rostum
01-19-2012, 06:54 AM
Growing up I've always had my own space. I now live in my own apartment with my girlfriend, and there's a lot of space for both of us despite it only being one bedroom. For a few years before I moved out of home, I was lucky to have an extremely large bedroom which even had a fire place!

In short, I've always had space and I hope I always will because I could not live without having space away from people.

Peegee
01-19-2012, 04:39 PM
That looks like it'll be a nice space. I'm happy for you. I grew up an only child, so I love my privacy. After sharing a room with my husband for like seven years or something, I started to go insane so I turned his grandpa's study (we're renting their house) into a pretty craft room for me. I need this kind of thing for my sanity--I don't know how you went 25 years. Don't forget to post pics once you've decorated!

While not everybody needs to have privacy from time to time, I tend to think it's healthy. Yay for personal caves!

Quindiana Jones
01-19-2012, 05:28 PM
For most of my life I've had a room to myself. However, as the youngest of three it was always the smallest, and three houses in a row I had the boiler room. More than half my life coupled with a boiler... I miss those days.... nobody understands me like you do, Mr. Rattley.

Anyway, uni halls were utter cack in picnic basket. Fuck that. For two years now I've been in a six bedroom house, and because I did all the work finding and organising, I got to choose first room. And it is huge. I've got the usual double bed, wardrobe, chest of drawers, small desk and chair affair, but I also have room for my drum kit, two bikes and a big comfy chair (for lounging about in when gaming, natch).

Ashi
01-20-2012, 09:38 AM
Yay congrats on your new room!

My culture isn't very private and normally it is difficult to get some personal space, however, most of the time I do get alone-time when we want it. When with family I almost never have the door closed except when I sleep. The walls here aren't like...paper-thin, but sometimes I wish people in the next room don't hear me yell when I kick stuff with my small toe :P