PDA

View Full Version : Study Abroad

Yar
01-23-2012, 02:49 AM
Starting the process to go study abroad! :kakapo: 12 months abroad in Japan.

Until then, I need fill out mountains of documents and basically force-feed myself Japanese all day. The higher I score on my Japanese placement test, the more classes I will be able to take in Japanese.

Getting really excited about it too. It's taken me about 2 years to actually have an interest in Japan. :p If I could study abroad anywhere, I would probably go to India. I think that would be such a great experience! Oh, and Germany! I would party so hard there.

Where would you go/have you gone to do study abroad? Tell me all about it!

Tigmafuzz
01-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Don't go to India. Trust me. I mean, the people are alright, but the smell...
I've been to quite a few countries. But the scenery and tourist attractions are such a distraction from your studies. It's more of a "fun and games" kind of experience than a learning one.

Freya
01-23-2012, 03:47 AM
Germany. I would also drink heavily and party.

You're gonna have loads of fun in Japan!

Yar
01-23-2012, 03:50 AM
I'm going to send you so much Japanese crap! :D

But the scenery and tourist attractions are such a distraction from your studies. It's more of a "fun and games" kind of experience than a learning one.I wouldn't say it's not going to be a learning experience. Considering how different American and Japanese culture are. But it's not about learning about Japan, it's on a more personal level.

As far as the "fun and games" go, my adviser said I should plan on taking the bare minimum number of credits, study just as much as I need to, and use the rest of the time being outside with people socializing and exploring. :D

Freya
01-23-2012, 03:51 AM
You better! Also take loads of pictures of you with random japanese people.

Shlup
01-23-2012, 04:06 AM
I'm envious! I would've loved to have studied abroad! Especially in Japan! Once in a while I still try and convince BJ to move to Japan with me so I can teach English.

Shiny
01-23-2012, 04:14 AM
Spain (Barcelona, Madrid, etc.). Had the chance in High School, but it was way too expensive for just the plane tickets so I was like nah. It probably would've been a great experience. Now that I'm leaving college I'd like to go some place more intense. So GERMANY here I come. I would also like to go to Japan so I can blend in with other short people.

Yar
01-23-2012, 04:20 AM
I'm envious! I would've loved to have studied abroad! Especially in Japan! Once in a while I still try and convince BJ to move to Japan with me so I can teach English.Well, you already speak English, so you're qualified. Just saying~

I would also like to go to Japan so I can blend in with other short people.Can't say I haven't thought about this before. :p

rubah
01-23-2012, 04:35 AM
been there, done that, developed the social phobia of ever speaking a foreign language to natives

from what I've heard though, as long as your japanese isn't too good they'll find you adorable and love you. otherwise (and this is probably wha tyou're shooting for, knowing you) they'll just be constantly correcting your white tongue

Shlup
01-23-2012, 05:02 AM
I'm envious! I would've loved to have studied abroad! Especially in Japan! Once in a while I still try and convince BJ to move to Japan with me so I can teach English.Well, you already speak English, so you're qualified. Just saying~
Thank you for that oh-so-valid point. I'm sure that will convince him. xD

GhandiOwnsYou
01-23-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure if it's the same type of deal in Japan, but a buddy of mine just moved to South Korea, and his wife almost immediately got a job teaching English to high schoolers there. She doesn't speak a word of korean, and she doesn't have any type of degree, they really just wanted a native speaker to converse with the kids.

Peegee
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
I suppose if I had to pick a place I would probably want to study in Hong Kong. Or hawaii. Or Amsterdam.

Basically places I wouldn't mind spending 4 months at a time, because then I can party!

Studying in Japan would be very expensive. If I had infinite monies sure, but my choices are more realistic imo

Iceglow
01-23-2012, 09:19 PM
If I could study abroad anywhere? I'd probably want to study in the USA in all honesty!

If we're just talking about going places etc then I'm interested in going to see Stockholm (Sweden) maybe this year at some point if I get the chance.