PDA

View Full Version : Standard jobs

Raistlin
01-27-2012, 06:46 PM
Are there some job combinations and abilities that you always have in your party, even if it's just because they're cool?

For me, I always have a Wizard/Time Mage combination with Teleport. I'm always partial to black mages, so after he learns enough time magic I will switch the character back to a Wizard. And Teleport may not be the best moving ability, but it just looks so damn cool. There was also one time where I managed to teleport across the entire screen to blow up a last enemy (I was fortunate enough for there to only be a 1-turn wait for the spell), and it was so awesome that I will continue to try stunts like that, despite the ~1% success rate.

I also always have a Ninja/Monk combination for much of the game, which often ends up being Ramza. Ramza to me always is a physical character, despite my preference for magic. I really like the Monk abilities, and the jobs logically just seem to go together from a non-technical perspective.

I often change it up with my party members (though I am partial to custom units instead of the special characters), but those are my mainstays.

Gamblet
01-27-2012, 06:56 PM
I use "any class"/Chemist combo. For most of the game I keep the Item skill as secondary every playthrough so far. Quite useful.

And I think that Teleport is one of the best moving skill ever. I try to put it on any character, just because it looks cool and it gets me out of hairy situations.

VeloZer0
03-26-2012, 07:44 PM
My favorite class combo is the unarmed ninja build. Unfortunately this is probably the most broken generic set up in the game so I have been prohibiting myself from using it.

Second would be that Ramza just about always uses Jump. Dragoons are my favorite FF class, so that skillset always seems to find it's way on to my main character.

Another is the Geomancer dual wielding Rune Blades. The Dual Wield Rune Blade give +4 magic which helps up the damage of Geomancy quite a bit, as well as good physical omph. Not only that the ability to equip cloth armor enables you to go for +4PA or +2PA and +2 Speed. If you really want you can equip Draw Out for some additional utility. With a beefed up Magic Stat it will be very effective. (Not as much as the broken Mage+Draw Out strategy)

I don't actually find myself using Teleport all that much, Move+2 seems to on average yield better results, and only in very specific circumstances is it better than Move+3. It is a shame though that there are really only two movement abilities of note in the game.

Gamblet
03-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Second would be that Ramza just about always uses Jump. Dragoons are my favorite FF class, so that skillset always seems to find it's way on to my main character.

Another is the Geomancer dual wielding Rune Blades. The Dual Wield Rune Blade give +4 magic which helps up the damage of Geomancy quite a bit, as well as good physical omph.

I love the Dragoons too and I haven't tried the geomancers Rune Blade thing yet, sounds awesome, there is always at least 1 geomancer in my party so it might prove useful.

VeloZer0
03-27-2012, 03:28 PM
The damage formula for Geomancy basically works out to [PA+2MA]. Both physical and magic power contribute to the final number, buy magic contributes twice as much.

Roto13
04-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I always have a Black Mage and a White Mage with Calculator/Mathematician abilities because they win the game.

*Laurelindo*
06-08-2012, 08:11 PM
I always get myself a Knight, Monk, Thief, Priest and Wizard as soon as possible.
Then when I have got the most essential White and Black magic I change them Oracle and Time Mage, respectively.
And in the beginning of Chapter 2 I get this spear in Igros and change Ramza into a Lancer.

I remember I also once used 3 Ninjas and 2 Summoners early in Chapter 2, it kicked so much ass that it almost broke the game.

Roogle
06-12-2012, 10:56 PM
I only use the special characters and I keep them in their default job class. I typically play the game with the use of an editor.

Chapter 1 consists only of Ramza, Delita, and Algus, so I usually edit the starting classmate companions to be unique jobs like Dancer, Bard, and so on. It makes for a very fun and interesting playthrough.

*Laurelindo*
06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I only use the special characters and I keep them in their default job class. I typically play the game with the use of an editor.

Chapter 1 consists only of Ramza, Delita, and Algus, so I usually edit the starting classmate companions to be unique jobs like Dancer, Bard, and so on. It makes for a very fun and interesting playthrough.
What about using *only* Ramza, Delita and Algus during Chapter 1?
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I reckon it could be somewhat easy if you always upgrade your equipment and keep 'em all as Knights with Item or something.

VeloZer0
06-13-2012, 05:48 PM
I've never done such a thing, but I might give it a try next time.

Raistlin
06-14-2012, 04:09 AM
I imagine it could get pretty difficult. What with Ramza, Delita, and Algus leveling up so easily, you'd quickly start to have random encounters at a higher level than usual, but with much less help. Besides, I have too much fun messing around with all sorts of parties and magic to be able to contain myself to them.

Roogle
06-15-2012, 10:14 PM
What about using *only* Ramza, Delita and Algus during Chapter 1?
Does anyone have any experience of this?
I reckon it could be somewhat easy if you always upgrade your equipment and keep 'em all as Knights with Item or something.

Yes, I have done it before and it can be really difficult as most battles will consist only of Delita and Ramza against multiple characters. It is really hard to start the game out and be able to beat all opponents properly. The first battle would be the most difficult and it gets easier from there depending on what jobs you train.

I prefer to think that Ramza and Delita had help from some classmates at the academy for Chapter 1. I dismiss them as soon as Chapter 2 begins as I don't see random noblemen's children joining Ramza's cause so easily.

Gamblet
06-16-2012, 11:06 AM
I prefer to think that Ramza and Delita had help from some classmates at the academy for Chapter 1. I dismiss them as soon as Chapter 2 begins as I don't see random noblemen's children joining Ramza's cause so easily.

And leveling new members from lvl 1? Quite annoying...

VeloZer0
06-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I usually dismiss the party it gives you right off the bat anyways. Then I can recruit people with stats that I want.

*Laurelindo*
06-18-2012, 06:14 PM
And leveling new members from lvl 1? Quite annoying...I don't think it's too bad, Agrias and Gafgarion own everything in sight during the first few battles anyway. XD

VeloZer0
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Never though of that. They are always so sucky compared to my party I forget they are useful at all. :D

Roogle
06-20-2012, 12:54 AM

I don't level any additional characters. I use Rad, Lavian, and Alicia for the majority of Chapter 2. Lavian and Alicia are tied to Agrias, so there are some challenging battles with only Ramza, Rad, and Mustadio for a brief part of the game. They're all doable. Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 are my favorites.

Gamblet
06-20-2012, 01:03 PM

I don't level any additional characters. I use Rad, Lavian, and Alicia for the majority of Chapter 2. Lavian and Alicia are tied to Agrias, so there are some challenging battles with only Ramza, Rad, and Mustadio for a brief part of the game. They're all doable. Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 are my favorites.

Seems interesting, I think I'll try it on my next playthrough.

*Laurelindo*
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
By the way, did anyone else think that it almost seemed like Rad, Alicia and Lavian were "supposed" to be your Proposition guys?
I mean, you get them in the beginning of Chapter 2 rrright before your first Proposition, and there are 3 of them, which is exactly the max limit of people you can send away.
Seems like the game sort of told you "hey, use these guys for da Propositions!". :D

It also seems to me like their purpose sort of is to be generics so you could have some people in the proper Job sprites if you should ever miss them. :monster:

Roogle
06-20-2012, 11:17 PM
Rad, Lavian, and Alicia serve a purpose for me because of the way that I play through the game. They're the only generic characters handed to you aside from the characters that you start the game with. All other characters that join you during the course of the story are Guests or special characters.

Gamblet
06-21-2012, 08:36 PM
By the way, did anyone else think that it almost seemed like Rad, Alicia and Lavian were "supposed" to be your Proposition guys?
I mean, you get them in the beginning of Chapter 2 rrright before your first Proposition, and there are 3 of them, which is exactly the max limit of people you can send away.
Seems like the game sort of told you "hey, use these guys for da Propositions!". :D

It also seems to me like their purpose sort of is to be generics so you could have some people in the proper Job sprites if you should ever miss them. :monster:

I always have used them for only that purpose. :D