PDA

View Full Version : CHECK it out

Pike
01-28-2012, 05:01 AM
So I've noticed lately that I pretty much never write checks anymore. I just use my debit card or cash. I think my current set of checks in my checkbook has duplicates in it from two or three years ago.

I'm not alone, right?

Jessweeee♪
01-28-2012, 05:16 AM
I write checks for my rent, that's pretty much it.

Hollycat
01-28-2012, 05:23 AM
The last time I wrote a check it was on a survey.

G13
01-28-2012, 05:25 AM
I don't use checks, I usually pay with cash or card.

Off topic: I worked a job not too long ago, and I usually get paid in cash but the boss was out so the dude asked if I would take a check. Took me aback, I haven't been paid with a paper check in almost four years, so I just stared at him for a few seconds with a dumb look on my face before saying yes. :p

Hollycat
01-28-2012, 05:30 AM
really? I've never gotten paid in anything but checks and money orders.

G13
01-28-2012, 05:36 AM
My last real job did the direct deposit thing.

Pumpkin
01-28-2012, 05:38 AM
I have never written a check. Ever.

Hollycat
01-28-2012, 05:43 AM
My last real job did the direct deposit thing.
I worked at a mcdonalds for a while, and I only got checks.... hm.

Psychotic
01-28-2012, 05:43 AM
I've never written a cheque (YEAH WHATTUP AMERICANA?) in my life and I think the only ones I've ever received were from my grandmother for my birthday. At work we still send them out to random contractors though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
01-28-2012, 05:57 AM
Wow. It has been like, 5 years since I have written a check. I do get a cashiers check or whatever to pay my rent though. But the bank writes those.
I do however cash checks every once in a while. From refunds and such things that occasionally happen.

Tigmafuzz
01-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I cash checks for work, but I don't think I've written one... ever.

Freya
01-28-2012, 06:49 AM
I only write checks for bills mostly. And usually only if I'm required to. Electronic bill pay is sooooo much cooler.

Chris
01-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't think I have ever issued a check before. Like, ever. oO

Iceglow
01-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Never used my checkbook in my life. To be fair, they're kind of outmoded today. It's funny but 99% of retailers won't accept a check either. I haven't received one in 7 years in work. The only time I get a check is when I get one from the government for stopping fraudulent cards.

NorthernChaosGod
01-28-2012, 10:41 AM
I've never written a check for anything. I've only even gotten checks as gifts from old people.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I get payed by check, but that's about all the check dealings I have.

fire_of_avalon
01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
It's funny but 99% of retailers won't accept a check either.
Horsetit, Steve.

I write them for my credit card payment because I want a paper trail on that tit.

EDIT: also, pike, for the pun, :stare:

Slothy
01-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Never used my checkbook in my life. To be fair, they're kind of outmoded today. It's funny but 99% of retailers won't accept a check either. I haven't received one in 7 years in work. The only time I get a check is when I get one from the government for stopping fraudulent cards.

Personal cheques perhaps if you're buying something in a retail store, but businesses will rarely pay with anything other than cheques and electronic banking. At least if they deal with an accountant with half a brain come year end. Cheques are only as good as the person writing them though and you've got no way of knowing whether you'll get the money if you're taking a personal cheque really. At least with debit cards and credit cards you know immediately if it's going through.

I write cheques for my rent and that's it really. I'm surprised anyone pays with cash anymore though. Aside from the rare occasion when I go out for drinks or something I never carry any and simply use my debit card.

Also, the way most/all of you spell cheque bothers me greatly. For shame!

Pike
01-28-2012, 04:52 PM
I think a lot of it depends on your age. I work at Kmart, where probably about 90% of our customers are in their 70s or older, and nearly all of them use checks.

blackmage_nuke
01-28-2012, 04:53 PM
I use cash as much as possible and have never written a cheque

Tigmafuzz
01-28-2012, 05:13 PM
I don't think I'll ever write a Czech.

krissy
01-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Beastie Boys - "Ch-Check It Out" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i1iGa96GYM)

rubah
01-28-2012, 08:09 PM
my bank allows me to pay things electronically (i.e. they'll mail a check for me) so I don't write them very often.

Peegee
01-30-2012, 04:53 PM
This is an oddity? Nothing is done by cheque in Canada, though the option is there. Just bring your debit card everywhere.

I pay by cheque when I can't get a direct debit out of my account. Or if I can't pay by electronic bill payment.

Stu was telling me that his debit card was tied to his credit card or something? I was so confused.

lol you guys spell the word weird.

escobert
01-30-2012, 05:24 PM
I refuse to use banks at all :p I use cash or prepaid cards. Why do I want to pay someone to hold my money then pay them to use it? I don't! I can spend my money freely and whenever I want when it's right there for me to see. Also it's easier to know exactly how much money I have if I can just count it and not rely on a computer that is always wrong.

Shlup
01-31-2012, 06:45 AM
People buy things from my store using checks once in a while. Takes bloody forever.

Mirage
01-31-2012, 06:48 AM
I have never used a check in my entire life, and i'm almost 27 now. I vaguely remember my mother using checks when I was like 7 years old. I'm pretty sure most stores here would look at you strangely if you tried to pay anything with one.

For me, it's been all about debit cards and online banking since I was like 16. Easier, faster, better overview.

I refuse to use banks at all :p I use cash or prepaid cards. Why do I want to pay someone to hold my money then pay them to use it? I don't! I can spend my money freely and whenever I want when it's right there for me to see. Also it's easier to know exactly how much money I have if I can just count it and not rely on a computer that is always wrong.
I'm not sure which banks you've dealt with, but I haven't even once experienced that my bank doesn't accurately report the amount of money I have available.

As for paying people to keep your money, I make more back in interests than it costs for me to have and use a debit-visa at my current bank. So how do you save up money anyway, keep them in a box under your bed?

Bunny
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
I pay most of my bills with checks since the online bill paying system can be flawed and sometimes results in an overpriced late fee. Other than that, I hate writing checks.

Peegee
01-31-2012, 04:34 PM

If you ever get to the point where your money can make money for you, you HAVE to use a bank. I don't mean gambling. I mean investing.

Otherwise you're actively being screwed by the federal reserve every time they unleash billions of federal reserve notes (I refuse to call it 'money', though I guess since you can redeem it for merchandise it's still money) into the banks and then the rich people with insane credit lines, your purchasing power decreases.

(see - cost of fuel, cost of food, etc)