PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one not really excited about an enhanced FFX?

chrysanths
01-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Ten is shiny and pretty and still current despite being last gen. Instead of taking a game from it's 8 and 16 bit gen and making it FFXIII pretty and giving all those pixel whores a reason to love Bartz and Kefka and (heaven forbid) Reno/Rude/Elena again, we just get a new coat of paint on one of Square's most popular?
Is this really what SquareEnix has gone to?
Not to say I hate Ten as only it's sequel deserves any scorn in my opinion.
Idgi. :roll2

Jiro
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
It takes them far less effort to give FFX a new coat of paint than it would to give any of the earlier games an update. Easier and less expensive means they maximise their profit.

chrysanths
01-29-2012, 04:00 AM
It takes them far less effort to give FFX a new coat of paint than it would to give any of the earlier games an update. Easier and less expensive means they maximise their profit.
Considering the Ps3 is reverse compatible, all they really should have done is "Hey, let's print more copies!" or "Let's provide the US/UK/English speaking countries with a translated International + last Mission!"
I'd actually prefer the second idea myself - always wanted to play that stupid tower game.
I hate when Square's being cheap/unoriginal.

Jiro
01-29-2012, 07:43 AM
Considering the Ps3 is reverse compatible,

Unless you own one of like the first thousand ever made then you're out of luck brotherman. The PS3 is not backwards compatible.

chrysanths
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Unless you own one of like the first thousand ever made then you're out of luck brotherman. The PS3 is not backwards compatible.
Well hell... I wouldn't even bother then.
I still have my ps2 so I'm so fortunate I don't have to waste cash on this new coat of paint. :roll2

Old Manus
01-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Is this really what SquareEnix has gone to?No. The reality is far worse :count:

DMKA
01-30-2012, 05:39 PM
They're only doing it because it's one of the most popular games they ever made while being a PS2 title, and PS2 games take minimal effort to up-res to pretty HD, which is why HD remakes for the PS3 have become so popular.

Doing so with any FFs before the PS2 era would take a helluva lot more work, as it would require actually doing completely new graphics for the whole game, seeing as if you simply up-res the textures of, say, Final Fantasy VII, it's still going to look absolutely terrible. Sure it would reduce the jagged edges, but ePSXe can do that...very few sane people would actually buy such a product. I suppose with the 2D titles, they could up-res them, make them nice and smooth, but again, that reduced jagged edges of sprites wouldn't be enough of a visual difference to make a substantial sale.

In short, it's easy, cheap, and guaranteed sales. SE's return will be huge...it would be silly for them not to do it.

Personally, I'd rather they do it to FFXII, as FFX doesn't look half as bad on an HD display. FFXII is literally unplayable as you can't make out what the hell you're looking at.

But yes, I am excited, as FFX is one of my all time favorite games, and all but one of the HD re-releases I've played (that being the Prince of Persia Collection) have proven to create very eye-pleasing results. I know FFX is going to look wonderful and I can't wait to replay it in HD, since the only thing that keeps me from replaying it anymore is how bad it looks on my television.

Jessweeee♪
01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
No you are not. The other people not excited about it don't frequent the FFX forum though, so they aren't really talking about how not excited they are about it.

I'm pretty excited though! I don't care so much about the possibility of it actually being a remake (though that would be cool) or just tidying up the textures so much as I am excited about having portable FFX, my favorite Final Fantasy, and from there possibly portable FFX-2 and FFXII!

DMKA
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
I would be thrilled if it was the International version.

Jiro
01-30-2012, 11:21 PM
You would have to expect it to be the International version. You poor Americans lucked out on this one last time, it'd be nice to be able to enjoy what the rest of us did.

Jessweeee♪
01-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Oh yeah that too. I am very excited about the possibility of getting the International version! Oh oh oh and maybe we can get Last Mission someday!

DMKA
01-31-2012, 03:20 AM
Oh yeah that too. I am very excited about the possibility of getting the International version! Oh oh oh and maybe we can get Last Mission someday!
Oh lord, now you're making me want a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection with the Final Mix versions.

Mirage
01-31-2012, 05:58 AM
The main reason I'm excited for FF10 HD is that it opens up the possibility that they will give FF12 the same treatment.

I would much prefer these titles to be PSN downloads, however. The fewer physical discs I have to deal with, the better.

Bolivar
02-01-2012, 01:24 PM
You're not alone (no pun intended). I'm very happy they're making it, but it's not a Day 1 buy for me, or enough to convince me to buy a Vita so early. But you shouldn't worry about your other idea, OP, there's a chance they'll make it PS3 compatible as well.

That's a puzzlingly gross underestimation. All PS3s made for the first year and a half (hint: that's a little more than a thousand) were backwards compatible. There's a lot of them out there, and they're not hard to find at all. My boy just picked one up within the last year.

Crop
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh lord, now you're making me want a Kingdom Hearts HD Collection with the Final Mix versions.

I would absolutely love that. Europe got hugely screwed when it came to KH releases.

Mirage
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Oh? Which ones didn't get European releases?

Lamia
02-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I'm excited. X will be breathtaking after getting an HD face lift. X is a beautiful game already and that is why it will benefit the most from an HD remake, oddly enough. Like others said, to remake the PS1 Final Fantasy games it would require that the graphics and world would have been to redone. The result could be bad. Final Fantasy X on the other hand has a lot of scenery and effects that will truly shine in HD.

I think that the 16-bit games could be updated to HD though. The art would have to be redone, which was done for the 8-bit games for their upgrade to 16-bit. But I think it would be manageable. I mean, look at Earth Worm Jim HD on the PSN (there is a demo available)... the game is stunning! Perhaps Earth Worm Jim has graphics that translate better today than V and VI but I think that can be changed by redrawing the graphics like they did with FFI and II. 2D HD games can be stunning and I would love to see PSN/XBLA HD 16-bit FF remakes but I know that it is highly unlikely to happen.

Simen
02-17-2012, 10:32 AM
FFX in HD for PS3? Cool! :)

Mirage
02-18-2012, 08:01 PM
I just hope they'll make it run at a stable 60 fps.