PDA

View Full Version : ...and now, what's your favorite Mario game?

Pike
01-29-2012, 05:29 AM
Seeing as I asked about Sonic games in the other thread.

I think my answer would largely depend on how one defines a "Mario game". If we count any game with Mario as the protagonist, then Super Mario RPG is definitely my favorite. However, if we're counting just the platform games, then I might have to give Super Mario 3 a (very) slight edge over Super Mario World. There's a charm and quirkiness to it that I adore.

Rostum
01-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Oh gees, another tough question. Hmm.

For me it's a tie between Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and Super Mario Galaxy. Though I do love the majority of Mario games out there, especially the RPG ones.

NorthernChaosGod
01-29-2012, 07:14 AM
Definitely Super Mario World, with Mario 3 coming in a close second. I played the shit out of SMW on the SNES, then again when it was ported to the GBA. I love it. <3

Tigmafuzz
01-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I'll have to say ditto on SMRPG. Strictly platformers, I don't know if I can choose between SMW and SM3.

VeloZer0
01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
Super Mario World, hands down.

Slothy
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Super Mario World if we're talking 2D. Tons of exploration and secrets combined with great platforming. If the cape weren't a bit broken I think it'd be the perfect 2D platformer.

For 3D it's obviously Mario 64. It's a damn near perfect 3D platformer, and strangely enough, the only 3D Mario game I actually enjoy for more than five minutes.

Sephex
01-30-2012, 02:16 AM
If we are just talking about platformers, I always bounce back and forth between Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I usually will end up citing SMW, though. Having said that, both Super Mario Galaxy games don't trail far behind.

As for the RPGs, I enjoyed them all for different reasons, so I can't even choose there.

The Man
01-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I guess I'll have to be the first to say Yoshi's Island. SMW and SMB3 round out the top three.

If we include RPGs then yeah, SMRPG is great too.

DMKA
01-30-2012, 04:59 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/32/Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

blackmage_nuke
01-30-2012, 05:47 AM
Super Mario LAND (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_-HvB3zbC4)has the most bitching theme

Bolivar
01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Mario Land 2 was actually a really great game as well.

It's hard to mess with the magic that SMB3 or SMW had for their time, but I didn't have a SNES and only played SMW at friends' houses so I'll have to go with SMB3.

Pike
01-30-2012, 02:16 PM
I guess I'll have to be the first to say Yoshi's Island.

Ooh, I wasn't even thinking of that. Personally I consider that to be more of a "Yoshi" game since you don't actually control Mario. However, if we're counting these, then I just might have to make this my fave.

Bubba
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
There's obviously a lot of different genres that Mario has ventured into but if we are talking platform games only then like Vivi says... it should be split between 2D and 3D.

2D is definitely a close call between SMB3 and SMW. The variety and scope in Mario World is definitely superior in my opinion but the game is far too easy. I would give the edge to SMB3 primarily due to how challenging it is to play and more rewarding to complete.

3D era has to be SM64. What they did with that game is simply remarkable. It's almost a flawless game in my opinion. Not to mention that it introduced the world to third-person, analogue-controlled gaming. Where would games like Uncharted be today without SM64? The Galaxy games were amazing but not quite up there in terms of impact.

On another note, Super Mario Kart is still actually my favourite Mario game in any genre. The best driving game of all time! I've not played the new 3DS one but all the others haven't quite matched the original. It's that damn Blue Shell which punishes good drivers... why is it there?!!!!

EDIT: I agree Yoshi's Island was awesome too. Defintely counts as a Mario game.

VeloZer0
01-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Yoshi's Island was my #2.

NeoCracker
01-30-2012, 09:55 PM
4. Yoshi's Island
3. Super Mario World
2. Paper Mario
1. Super Mario RPG

DMKA
01-30-2012, 11:22 PM
I never really got into Yoshi's Island. I think because I disliked the crayon drawing design of everything.

Bunny
01-31-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Mario RPG without a doubt.

Depression Moon
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
Not sure if I should count Yoshi's Island since Yoshi is the playable character in that.

I would go with Galaxy and RPG instead.

VeloZer0
01-31-2012, 06:54 PM
Yoshi's Island is actually called "Super Mario World 2"

Depression Moon
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Yeah I know.

Hollycat
01-31-2012, 08:33 PM
smash bros.

Agent Proto
02-01-2012, 04:09 AM
:rolleyes: typical Hypo. That's not a Mario game.

Anyway, I think I would have to say Mario 3 is my favorite Mario game.

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 04:22 AM
:rolleyes: typical Hypo. That's not a Mario game.

Anyway, I think I would have to say Mario 3 is my favorite Mario game.
oh, come on, it so is. Mario is the star

Del Murder
02-01-2012, 04:39 AM
It's a tough choice between Super Mario World and SMB3, but I fondly remember the day I saw SMB3 debut in the movie The Wizard, and it may have changed my life forever, so I'll go with that.

Sephex
02-02-2012, 02:54 AM
It's a tough choice between Super Mario World and SMB3, but I fondly remember the day I say SMB3 debut in the movie The Wizard, and it may have changed my life forever, so I'll go with that.

Jesus, that scene was so damn awesome. It was like seeing God, to put it lightly.

Flying Arrow
02-03-2012, 02:40 PM
If we count any game with Mario as the protagonist, then Super Mario RPG is definitely my favorite.

Hell yes. I'm not sure I like it more than Bros. 3 or 64, but the first Mario RPG is just great (or at least it was when I was like 11).

Final answer will probably have to be Bros. 3 for the NES, though. Frankly it's a contender for one of my favourite games ever. The All-Star version for SNES is good with the better graphics and save back-up, but I didn't play that until a few years ago with a friend. I played 3 the hard way and am a better person for it. ;)

Mirage
02-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Mario Bros 3. The all-stars version cause I'm a graphics whore.

Nevermore
02-07-2012, 02:34 AM
It's in between SMW or SMB3. Can't rightly pick. At the exception of SMRPG and that Princess Peach game on DS, I stopped following the Mario world after SMW. I love the whole 2D thing, and now it's all 3D and epic and sophisticated and meh.
I've had a mind to check some of the modern 2D installments and ports though.