PDA

View Full Version : Spiders

Vincent, Thunder God
01-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Today we sat down to supper (pasta and garlic bread) and just as I'm sating my appetite, what do I see among the romano crumbs but a fucking SPIDER trying to scavenge a meal. Ballsy move, spider. Ballsy move. But sadly he was soon squashed in a Kleenex and his bravery was forgotten.

I mention this only because my sister has a genuine phobia of spiders. In fact, she's been known to search her room for them before she goes to sleep so they don't "fall" on her face. And woe betide any spider she finds, because rather than let them be, she enlists my help to get rid of them. She rarely will squash one herself if anyone is available to do it for her.

Post your thoughts on spiders, and whether or not you have a fear of them.

G13
01-30-2012, 01:12 AM
I find anything with more than four legs to be disgusting, but mainly spiders, centipedes, and octopi. Ask Shorty about the octopi. I'll probably never see one in my life, but just the fact that they exist worries me.

escobert
01-30-2012, 02:01 AM
Spiders kill bugs which makes me happy durring the summer time!

Sephex
01-30-2012, 02:53 AM
I don't mind spiders, but I know people that have a crippling fear of them. I don't see the big deal since the majority of spiders mind their own business.

Pike
01-30-2012, 02:55 AM
I don't think spiders are as terrifying as moths but they're pretty close.

Mittopotahis
01-30-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm fine with spiders. Well, not fine as in pick-a-huntsman-up-with-my-bare-hands-and-take-it-outside fine, but freeze-up-for-a-second-due-to-initial-shock-find-spray-and-kill-it fine. But fine compared to my friend who will download a mod which edits them out of a game, or my girlfriend who cowers in fear at anything remotely similar to one. Even if the spider is sitting peacefully in it's web outside. But she is also kinda scared of geckos, and they're just plain cute.

Chris
01-30-2012, 09:15 AM
I really dig spiders. I had a pet tarantula as a kid, and I really do miss it. Hmm! I've been meaning to get another one.

Tigmafuzz
01-30-2012, 10:38 AM
You're afraid of moths? I love moths. They feel fuzzy :bigsmile:

I like spiders, to an extent. I was thinking of getting a tarantula to play with.

Pike
01-30-2012, 02:13 PM
But she is also kinda scared of geckos, and they're just plain cute.

I'm not scared of geckos, but I do think they're evil little buggers who do nothing but bite.

(That feel when working at a pet store for three years has made you denounce about half of everything as evil.)

IT'S THOSE BIG FLAPPY WINGS AND AUGH

Old Manus
01-30-2012, 02:38 PM
They always jump out and spit their poisonous globules at me when I'm trying to find the source of power in caves.

sharkythesharkdogg
01-30-2012, 06:09 PM
They do not bother me. I'm the guy that picks them up and takes them outside.

Peegee
01-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I lub spiders but if they get big enough to be eating animals...

you no kill my pests! too big!

Vincent, Thunder God
01-30-2012, 06:18 PM
They do not bother me. I'm the guy that picks them up and takes them outside.

Yeah, I used to do the same. But in the winter the poor little bastards will freeze to death, and if you drop 'em from the window, they'll probably fall to their deaths. As my father says, "Too much bother," or "TMB" as it were. So I usually kill them - at least I try to give them a quick and hopefully not too painful death.

Tigmafuzz
01-30-2012, 07:21 PM
But she is also kinda scared of geckos, and they're just plain cute.

I'm not scared of geckos, but I do think they're evil little buggers who do nothing but bite.

(That feel when working at a pet store for three years has made you denounce about half of everything as evil.)

IT'S THOSE BIG FLAPPY WINGS AND AUGH
They're like two inches at the most. Don't be such a human.

Slothy
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, I used to do the same. But in the winter the poor little bastards will freeze to death, and if you drop 'em from the window, they'll probably fall to their deaths. As my father says, "Too much bother," or "TMB" as it were. So I usually kill them - at least I try to give them a quick and hopefully not to painful death.

I've often wondered how quickly they die when I squish them or if they suffer much as I squeeze their gooey innards out through their exo-skeletons. My hope is that the answer to those questions is "not quickly at all" and "a whole hell of a lot" respectively.

Fuck Spiders.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I used to do the same. But in the winter the poor little bastards will freeze to death, and if you drop 'em from the window, they'll probably fall to their deaths. As my father says, "Too much bother," or "TMB" as it were. So I usually kill them - at least I try to give them a quick and hopefully not to painful death.

I've often wondered how quickly they die when I squish them or if they suffer much as I squeeze their gooey innards out through their exo-skeletons. My hope is that the answer to those questions is "not quickly at all" and "a whole hell of a lot" respectively.

smurf Spiders.

:eek:

I don't mind the little buggers, they take care of other bugs and what-not. I've always hoped they don't suffer too much.

Old Manus
01-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Rest easy. I doubt spiders have the brain capacity to percieve pain in a way that's even close to that of humans.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-30-2012, 08:22 PM
Rest easy. I doubt spiders have the brain capacity to percieve pain in a way that's even close to that of humans.

Well that's good to hear.

The Ceej once said that spiders were the smartest beings on the Earth. Do with this information what you will. xD

Old Manus
01-30-2012, 08:46 PM
He also said that bipolar people were the next step in human evolution but were being held back by a governmental/pharmeucutical/jewish tri-force of evil, that odds of 365.25/1 were just too long for his birthday to fall on January 1st, and moving The Sarah Connor Chronicles forward an hour on a weekday was part of a national conspiracy to stop him from watching shows he liked.

Ah, The Ceej. What a guy. We should unban him.

EDIT: And rename him 'FAPPO!'

Peegee
01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
If you threaten to unban the ceej ever again I will tell the story about how 4chan saved him from me getting him arrested.

Pike
01-30-2012, 09:12 PM
I want to hear this story anyway.

Peegee
01-30-2012, 09:14 PM

I call your bluff. But you didn't read my post carefully enough.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-30-2012, 10:15 PM
He also said that bipolar people were the next step in human evolution but were being held back by a governmental/pharmeucutical/jewish tri-force of evil, that odds of 365.25/1 were just too long for his birthday to fall on January 1st, and moving The Sarah Connor Chronicles forward an hour on a weekday was part of a national conspiracy to stop him from watching shows he liked.

Ah, The Ceej. What a guy. We should unban him.

EDIT: And rename him 'FAPPO!'

He was banned? I thought he left of his own volition after Roto was harassing him.

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2012, 12:21 AM

Shut up and tell the story.

Vincent, Thunder God
01-31-2012, 12:31 AM

Seconded. xD

theundeadhero
01-31-2012, 10:49 PM
Your spider's lament will never be forgotten thanks to the tale you have shared with everyone here. If only it were written as a ballad.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Oh sing ye, oh sing ye
Of the Spider who was
Merely biding his time
As he crawled through the dust

When all of a sudden
His eyes did behold
The cheese crumbs on my table
And he became bold

Venturing forward
Through the litter of my dinner
Surely he thought
That he was a winner

But whose fingers did crush
The poor spider's frail life?
Who snuffed out his mind
Like the thrust of a knife?

Twas my mother,
In all sooth
For I was too lazy
In my hunger and youth

And poor spider was gone
Like a candle snuffed out
But his memory lives on
Of that we have no doubt

His lament was a testament
To his misplaced bravado
But now this song must end
And away I must go!

Freya
02-01-2012, 10:06 AM
Nice!

Spiders terrify me. In fact the super poisonous ones almost all live in this area! So I treat every spider like it could poison me. Now while I say that, I can't kill them! I feel bad about taking anythings life. Even if they are super scary bugs. So, I use something to capture them or push them outside. Or I run away.

Bubba
02-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Spiders scare the tit out of me.

I remember once I had to get an electricity reading from the box outside my house. I opened the box door to be confronted by a spider that looked more like an Uruk-hai assassin...

I'm pretty sure it had a baseball bat too.

Luckily, I managed to kick it in the face before it was able to carry me off across the plains of Rohan whilst force-feeding me grog.

Honestly though, I can't stand them. If I had a flame-thrower I would definitely have used it. I'm with Vivi... smurf them.

EDIT: Vincent, Thunder God's Ballad was epic.

Tigmafuzz
02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
Beautiful, Vincent. Just beautiful.

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Spiders scare me quite a lot. funnily enough, it's the medium ones that scare me, the little ones are easy to squash, and the bigger hairy ones aren't dangerous.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Recorded the ballad -

download here (http://www.2shared.com/audio/QSdVXAdS/Ballad_of_the_Spider.html)!

Pike
02-01-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't care how harmless Daddy Long-Legs spiders are they are evil and they all need to die

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't care how harmless Daddy Long-Legs spiders are they are evil and they all need to die
they aren't spiders.

Slothy
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Spiders terrify me. In fact the super poisonous ones almost all live in this area! So I treat every spider like it could poison me. Now while I say that, I can't kill them! I feel bad about taking anythings life. Even if they are super scary bugs. So, I use something to capture them or push them outside. Or I run away.

When one's home is under assault there can be no compromise. Running away is not an option for those who wish to sleep soundly in their beds. The only response is best described as not merely one of aggression, but of total annihilation. The deepest darkest corners must be scoured, the dankest holes set alight with flames of righteous retribution. Our enemies must meet our wrath and know the truth; that we are not to be merely feared, but rather that we are the stuff of their nightmares and the brutal end of all they could ever hold dear.

No quarter. No mercy. No survivors!

Pike
02-01-2012, 03:48 PM
they aren't spiders.

They need to die anyway.

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
they aren't spiders.

They need to die anyway.

If you say so

NorthernChaosGod
02-01-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm actually quite surprised that no one's come in here to tell everyone off for being afraid of spiders. I had a picture I was ready to use since I saw the thread title. :p

I'll post it anyway. :D
http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/263kj2v.jpg

Bunny
02-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm not afraid of spiders, but I do have a reoccurring nightmare of doing something mundane and all of the sudden being attacked on the face by dozens of spiders. Or waking up with a massive spider crawling all around on my face like it belongs there. It's not so much the spider as it is the thought of something crawling around on me.

I do not like bugs in general.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
No one's commented on my song yet! :P

Recorded the ballad -

download here (http://www.2shared.com/audio/QSdVXAdS/Ballad_of_the_Spider.html)!

Bubba
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Sorry VTG, I'm EOFFing from work so can't download it. I'll have a butchers when I get home tonight.

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Sorry VTG, I'm EOFFing from work so can't download it. I'll have a butchers when I get home tonight.

Sounds good, Bubba! As Borat and a French lady I once knew said, hope you like!

Tigmafuzz
02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
If I download it, will you pay me in hair?

Vincent, Thunder God
02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
If I download it, will you pay me in hair?

But of course. Let me get my scissors and give you a lock of my dark brown mane.

Peegee
02-10-2012, 08:24 PM

Seconded. xD

oops I forgot about this thread

https://www.facebook.com/SDLFKJSDFSDLKF/posts/368195106543899

Pheesh
02-10-2012, 11:10 PM
You realise how weak sauce you all sound to an Australian's ears, right? At least the majority of your spiders aren't trying to rape you, paralyse you, and then drag you back to its surprisingly spacious nest so that it's young can feed on your nutrients.

That said, spiders are okay; I don't hate them nearly as much as I hate cockroaches. Evil, disgusting, vile things that they are.

Hollycat
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
You realise how weak sauce you all sound to an Australian's ears, right? At least the majority of your spiders aren't trying to rape you, paralyse you, and then drag you back to its surprisingly spacious nest so that it's young can feed on your nutrients.

That said, spiders are okay; I don't hate them nearly as much as I hate cockroaches. Evil, disgusting, vile things that they are.
We might not have nearly as many poisonous spiders as you, but we do have the most venemous ones. (black widow and brown recluse)

Jiro
02-10-2012, 11:19 PM
I haven't even seen any spiders here so I don't know what they're even freaking out about.

Hollycat
02-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I haven't even seen any spiders here so I don't know what they're even freaking out about.

Texas.

Jiro
02-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Sure okay but the whole of australia has spider problems. Nowhere is safe!

Hollycat
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
true. Texas is the australia of america. except we have snowy mountains and we dont have rabbit problems. (often)

Pheesh
02-10-2012, 11:39 PM
Plus snakes and crocodiles. Don't even start with me.

Jiro
02-10-2012, 11:42 PM
We have snowy mountains, they're just only in the SE corner of the country.

Hollycat
02-10-2012, 11:45 PM
we have snakes too. we also have a lot of deadly cliffs. I will give you crocodiles.

What's up with the rabbits in Australia, can someone confirm the details?

Jiro
02-10-2012, 11:59 PM
What do you mean? We got a lot of rabbits, but the drop bears usually eat a fair amount of them.

Hollycat
02-11-2012, 12:01 AM
drop bears? Someone told me that there was a huge rabbit problem in Australia and there were fences to keep them away from cities and crops.

Bunny
02-11-2012, 12:03 AM

That just means that spiders hate Wyoming just as much as everyone else does.

Jiro
02-11-2012, 12:04 AM
The rabbit proof fence. Yes. That's not as large a problem as it originally was due mostly to the shrinking of the agriculture industry. As well as the killing of rabbits.

Slothy
02-11-2012, 12:06 AM

That's pretty much why I will never visit Australia. I'll stay here in Canada where the worst I have to worry about is pissing off a bull moose or running across a bear while walking through the woods, or worse, a Polar Bear while visiting the wife's family.

And yes, I would seriously rather knife fight a bear to the death or try to outrun a bull moose than deal with the giant fucking spiders you guys have.

Hollycat
02-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Sign me up for the bear wrestling.

Have you seen a camel spider up close?

Jiro
02-11-2012, 12:13 AM
It doesn't make you any less of a man.

Pheesh
02-11-2012, 12:19 AM
Contrary to popular belief, the rabbits aren't poisonous. They do attract dingoes, foxes, various birds of prey and other baby eating wildlife though.

Tigmafuzz
02-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Camel spiders aren't even technically spiders. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae) They are creepy though.

fire_of_avalon
02-11-2012, 02:43 AM
The only time I am ever afraid of a spider is if it is in my hair.

You do NOT belong in my hair.

In point of fact, I think jumping spiders are way adorable. I try to take all the spiders outside. I can only remember like two I've killed. One because he was in my hair and the other because YOU CAST A SHADOW AND YOU REALLY CLOSE TO ME AND HAVE BIG TEETH. And i felt so guilty for both of them.

I would say I'm cool with 99.99999% of bugs. I am not cool with centipedes, millipedes or cockroaches.

smurf Spiders.
This is terrible. You change your way, Vivi, or I shall squish you! ;_;

This.

Slothy
02-11-2012, 03:27 AM

I'm 6'2", a bit over 280 lbs. and perfectly willing to knife fight a Polar Bear. Not sure I have that much to worry about my dear.

Aside from Spiders anyway.

Pike
02-11-2012, 03:28 AM
Camel spiders aren't even technically spiders. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solifugae) They are creepy though.

This species had better not live anywhere near me.

Hollycat
02-11-2012, 04:32 AM
where do you live? they are pretty much everywhere except russia, the americas, and antartica

Pike
02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
where do you live? they are pretty much everywhere except russia, the americas, and antartica

Oh good, I'm in the Americas.

SwordFox
02-11-2012, 02:59 PM
I once evacuated my room for an entire week because I saw a big spider in there. I only went in there if it was absolutely necessary.

Absolutely terrified of the buggers.

The scary thing is that I live in the UK, where they really don't even grow that big compared to other places. Not venomous, either.

Tigmafuzz
02-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Spider bite pics. Careful, two of them may be somewhat graphic for those of you with weaker stomachs. (http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp)

Bunny
02-11-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm 6'2", a bit over 280 lbs. and perfectly willing to knife fight a Polar Bear. Not sure I have that much to worry about my dear.

That's nice but she's foa.

My money is on her.

Bubba
02-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Spider bite pics. Careful, two of them may be somewhat graphic for those of you with weaker stomachs. (http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/brownrecluse.asp)

I remember receiving a similar bite from a poisonous bitch I went out with when I was nineteen.

Tigmafuzz
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM

I remember receiving a similar bite from a poisonous bitch I went out with when I was nineteen.
I fucking love you Bubba.

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Relevant:
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2wd96i8.png

fire_of_avalon
02-12-2012, 04:08 PM

*puts on spider outfit and hides in your laundry room*

That's nice but she's foa.

My money is on her.
:love: even if you believe in my ability to bring on abject violence it's nice to be believed in.