PDA

View Full Version : rock out

Alive-Cat
01-31-2012, 09:32 PM
What do people who are born blind actually see in dreams, if they have no idea what anything looks like?

Peegee
01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
What did you dream when you were a babby?

Freya
01-31-2012, 09:41 PM
They still dream but the other senses are heightened and represented instead of sight. The more you know :monster:

Chris
01-31-2012, 09:42 PM
Who says that they actually see things the way we do in dreams? We see images, and I gather that their perception of images are influenced by what they have been told by us. Thus, they are capable of forming a mental image of a rose, simply because its description has been suggested to them by us. I could be entirely wrong though. This is what I believe.

Pike
01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
In 1999, researchers at the University of Hartford set out to determine what, if anything, the blind can see while dreaming. They analyzed 372 dreams of fifteen blind individuals and found that the age of sight loss affected the visual quality of the subjects’ dreams. The study determined that people who go blind at age five or younger tend not to have visual dreams, whereas if blindness occurs at about age seven or older, chances are the blind will see some images. When people go blind between ages five and seven, their potential for dream sight could go either way.

It all depends on how long a person experiences the world with sight, as opposed to without. Someone who goes blind later in life could experience visually intense dreams for years afterward; however, the more time that person spends without sight, the less frequent such visual dreams become. And people who are congenitally blind (born that way) or lose the ability to see at a very young age have completely nonvisual dreams from the beginning.

It’s similar to the black-and-white dream phenomenon some older individuals experience. A 2008 study at the University of Dundee in the UK found that people who grew up when television was first invented sometimes have dreams in black-and-white, while those who have experienced only color television usually have colorful dreams.

Hollycat
01-31-2012, 10:40 PM
I've got a better one, what happens when blind people hallucinate.

or are on acid?