PDA

View Full Version : Oh yeah. It's all coming together.

Loony BoB
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
You know how Final Fantasy games never have plot holes? How the stories are always complete, from start to finish, and don't leave you wondering what just happened? Not to mention how it all just makes perfect, logical sense. It's Final Fantasy, after all! Right? ...right?

Of course not! So, which game do you think has the fewest plot holes, covers most loose ends, makes the most sense, etc?

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I'm going to go with tactics, I think they did a fairly good job at covering most of the holes, even if a few were left.

Gamblet
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Final Fantasy I

It has simple story. World is losing its balance, kill the bad guy...

Del Murder
02-01-2012, 02:43 PM
Final Fantasy VI. There was no 'super supreme evil' that just randomly appears at the end. The bad guy at the end is the bad guy from the whole game and you know exactly how it got to that point.

Bubba
02-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Final Fantasy I

It has simple story. World is losing its balance, kill the bad guy...

Definitely this.

You can't have plot holes when you haven't got a plot.

Jiro
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
I was going to suggest FFI as well because having one giant plot hole is probably the closest to nil you can get. I can't think of many plot holes in IX either, really.

Tigmafuzz
02-02-2012, 03:56 AM
I'm going to say IX. Although Kuja was powerful enough to have just killed everyone from the beginning anyway. I mean he didn't really need the eidolons, as even Bahamut only left him with a scratch. And it seems that only the party could have stopped him, so if he had just killed them back when they were weak he would have been able to do whatever. Riding his Nova Dragon in his girly clothes and setting black mages on villages.

DMKA
02-02-2012, 05:09 AM
I have to agree, FFI is the undisputable winner here. But aside of FFI...

For me, that would be FFX. Or at least, that was the easiest one to fully comprehend and make sense, for me. I know a ton of people will read that and think I'm trolling, but I'm serious.

That's assuming you leave FFX-2 out of the equation. If we're considering the two games as a whole, then I have to go with FFVI.

silentenigma
02-02-2012, 05:27 AM
FFVIII

lol jk

Bolivar
02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I actually don't think FFI's plot makes any sense, with the Elemental Fiends sending Garland back in time, and him sending them forward. They could've just said they kept him alive to guard the temple in case the seals blocking the crystals were broken, the time travel nonsense just seems superfluous. Good game though!

Flying Arrow
02-06-2012, 09:14 PM
VI. It's just a really great setting with a very simple back story that is carried by the cast of characters. There's really not a whole lot to screw up... although maybe I'm saying that because Square nailed FFVI so well that I can't even imagine how it could have gone wrong. It's just this nearly perfect thing that just exists.

VII, I think, is really very solid too. There are a few hiccups here and there which is why I think VI is tighter, but if you just pay attention to the details VII is surprisingly well done (surprising because of the silly over-hype that's been happening for 15 years). Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris are still my favourite group of characters from a game story.

black orb
02-07-2012, 04:08 AM
>>> FF1 has no plot holes? you are kidding right?
The whole game is a plot hole, time loop anyone? it even spawned 2 Dissidia games, I mean.. seriously..*head explodes*.:luca:

VeloZer0
02-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Time travel = plot holes is a fairly universal rule, IMO.

Hollycat
02-08-2012, 06:08 AM

See Artemis Fowl the Time Paradox. One plot hole so far, to be resolved in the next two books.

VeloZer0
02-08-2012, 06:36 AM
That usually just means that you haven't looked hard enough.

Jiro
02-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Suspension of disbelief is a magical thing.

CimminyCricket
02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Tactics was the story that I was able to follow without any lingering questions. At the end of the game I only had one question: Now what?

Kenshin IV
02-21-2012, 09:07 AM
It's extremely difficult to compare because different games have different levels of complex plots. I can tell you which had the most holes, though -- I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy VIII. One of the most complex (or, should I say, convoluted) in the series, and unfortunately I think Square just wrote themselves into a corner trying to make it complex.

"Guardian Forces made us forget" is still the single worst explanation for a plot hole in series history.

Flying Arrow
02-21-2012, 04:31 PM
"Guardian Forces made us forget" is still the single worst explanation for a plot hole in series history.

I was going to counter with something else, but I really can't think of anything that made me stare unblinking at the screen for as long as VIII's orphanage reveal.

Miriel
02-22-2012, 08:07 PM

This is such a pet peeve of mine because it's not like it's rocket science to do a time travel story properly without ridiculous plot holes.

If an Oprah's Book Club selection (a la Time Traveler's Wife) can do it perfectly, then a whole god damn team of writes and producers and developers should be able to get it done as well.

Harry Potter did it surprisingly well too.

Flying Arrow
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
If an Oprah's Book Club selection (a la Time Traveler's Wife) can do it perfectly, then a whole god damn team of writes and producers and developers should be able to get it done as well.

Producers and developers aren't really writers, though. And the writers a game does have could just be a team of terrible writers (or told what to write by the non-writer execs).

What do you mean if the Oprah Book Club selection "can do it"? She has Cormac smurfin' McCarthy on that list, also Faulkner, Dickens, and Marquez. I imagine any writer endorsed by her would have to be good at what she does, as opposed to game writers who don't even have to be good at all.

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2012, 05:50 AM
Time travel stories can be fairly simple as long as you establish the rules clearly. The real problem with Time Travel stories is when you get obsessive fans who half read physics and start over-analyzing everything. It's not just VIII either, just look at some the crap out of the Chrono fan corners can make your head spin. The problem with most of VIII's fan theories for me when I read them is that they like to assume crap the game never states like time paradoxes, and they kind of forget that one of the underlying themes of the game is fate and how Ellone pretty much states that VIII's world is a determinist world. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism)

I would probably say FFI and FFIII for the old school games, FFVI for the better written middle games, and Tactics for the convulated titles.

Miriel
02-25-2012, 06:14 AM
What do you mean if the Oprah Book Club selection "can do it"? She has Cormac smurfin' McCarthy on that list, also Faulkner, Dickens, and Marquez. I imagine any writer endorsed by her would have to be good at what she does, as opposed to game writers who don't even have to be good at all.

I've read more books from Oprah's book club than probably anyone on this site because I love Oprah and I love books. But there have been some serious crap books in her selection. Thus the comment.

Like I said, it doesn't take much to do a time travel story right. If one writer does a crappy job, you would think that one of the other writers, or one of the producers or execs or ANYBODY would look at that and say, "Hang on, this doesn't make a lick of sense."

Bubba
02-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Time travel stories can be fairly simple as long as you establish the rules clearly. The real problem with Time Travel stories is when you get obsessive fans who half read physics and start over-analyzing everything. It's not just VIII either, just look at some the crap out of the Chrono fan corners can make your head spin. The problem with most of VIII's fan theories for me when I read them is that they like to assume crap the game never states like time paradoxes, and they kind of forget that one of the underlying themes of the game is fate and how Ellone pretty much states that VIII's world is a determinist world. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determinism)

I would probably say FFI and FFIII for the old school games, FFVI for the better written middle games, and Tactics for the convulated titles.

Hooray! WK is back!

VeloZer0
02-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I actually find that one of the biggest plot holes in tie travel stories is how people use it. Unless there are some VERY specific restrictions on time travel I find it hard to suspend disbelief enough to imagine it is only being used in the specific way the plot dictates to avoid a paradox.

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2012, 08:10 PM
^ I think you're going to need to elaborate...

Flying Arrow
02-25-2012, 11:23 PM
I've read more books from Oprah's book club than probably anyone on this site because I love Oprah and I love books. But there have been some serious crap books in her selection. Thus the comment.

Like I said, it doesn't take much to do a time travel story right. If one writer does a crappy job, you would think that one of the other writers, or one of the producers or execs or ANYBODY would look at that and say, "Hang on, this doesn't make a lick of sense."

I was only confused because your comment implied that an Oprah Book Club selection is of an obvious low standard.

But still, it takes a lot of work to do any story right, especially something as convoluted as a time-travel plot. Most writers on a team probably get saddled with their own scenarios to work on. There's probably some criticism of each other, but unless they're really taking the story seriously and have enough time to go over it, there's probably going to be holes. When it comes to Square, this is a company who released FFVIII - I'm willing to bet that not a lot of hole-poking takes place once all the time and money has been spent putting the game together.

Mirage
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
All in all, time travel stories are *not* for beginners. It usually requires a better sense of logic than many writers have.

As for plot holes, FF13-2 is probably the worst one for me.