PDA

View Full Version : Gunners don't make sense

Hollycat
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't understand how gunner classes become stronger over time. you can't pull the trigger harder to do more damage. you aren't hitting the people with the guns, so how does gunners get stronger?

VeloZer0
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
Depends on if the guns are magic or not.

In FFT regular guns always deal the same amount of damage, but magic guns are affected by your stats.

Jiro
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
You get better at shooting them in the weak points.

VeloZer0
02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
A lot of games a guns damage still depends on the Attack stat just like everything else. IMO ones where they mix it up actually make things interesting.

Bolivar
02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
It's a video game! Maybe their finesse using the weapon allows them to pull off trickier shots and target more vulnerable spots to maximize damage!

VeloZer0
02-01-2012, 09:17 PM
I've only shot guns once, but I am pretty sure I remember that the bullet went faster the harder I pulled the trigger.

Mirage
02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Smart games let gun/crossbow damage depend on your dexterity or accuracy stat, rather than strength. Not sure how many final fantasy games do this. Probably almost none. Final Fantasy has always been retarded when it comes to stats.

Bolivar
02-02-2012, 01:58 PM
^ I don't know about "retarded," I might say "Unexceptional"

Mirage
02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
To be fair though, crossbow and bow efficiency could depend a bit on strength, considering those two require you to have a bit more than toothpick arms to reload and stuff.

Del Murder
02-03-2012, 06:10 AM
In Tactics the guns were based on set damage rather than stats weren't they?

VeloZer0
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Regular guns are Weapon Power squared (fixed damage), magic guns essentially cast a black magic spell with the guns power used in place of a magic attack spell.

Mercen-X
02-09-2012, 02:56 AM
In most RPGs that feature gunners, the attack animation is limited to one shot, but the statistics are measured as if you're on an actual battlefield firing multiple round per trigger squeeze. The higher your level, the more bullets you fire in a single squeeze. Naturally, since ammunition is infinite anyway, you may wonder why it isn't always maxed. I would say that at a higher level, you're able to carry more "hypothetical ammunition." Yep.

Jessweeee♪
02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
I know in FFXII each weapon type was affected by different stats. I think guns only took the weapon's attack value into account and ignored the player character and enemy stats. I always make sure to have a nice one handy!

Mirage
02-12-2012, 04:59 PM
In most RPGs that feature gunners, the attack animation is limited to one shot, but the statistics are measured as if you're on an actual battlefield firing multiple round per trigger squeeze. The higher your level, the more bullets you fire in a single squeeze. Naturally, since ammunition is infinite anyway, you may wonder why it isn't always maxed. I would say that at a higher level, you're able to carry more "hypothetical ammunition." Yep.

Actually you know, recoil from automatic fire is something strength could affect. Higher strength would let you keep your aim as you fired bursts more easily, increasing your accuracy, and therefore also damage over time.

ReloadPsi
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM
It's a video game and absolutely everything is stat-based to the point that your ability to make a cake that recovers more HP is even measurable by a stat reflecting how much practice you have making it and a variable measuring how arsed you can be.

Del Murder
02-28-2012, 12:00 AM
Having just fired a gun for the first time the other day, I can say that it definitely requires a great deal of strength for maximum effectiveness.

VeloZer0
02-28-2012, 01:30 AM
But you have to remember in RPG-land even the waifiest of girls has more strength than the average well built real life man. ;)

Mercen-X
03-05-2012, 08:09 PM
Well, guns are more powerful than any melee weapon no matter who is pulling the trigger. Adrenaline has the capability to induce immeasurable strength even in the daintiest musculature so upper body definition is really only necessary when factoring endurance and successive firing.