PDA

View Full Version : Would you read a Final Fantasy comic book?

SuperMillionaire
02-02-2012, 08:14 PM
If an American comic book company such as UDON (which publishes Street Fighter and other Capcom video game comic book adaptations) were to make Final Fantasy comics, would you read the comics?

Hollycat
02-02-2012, 08:16 PM
Not likely. Not unless it was free.

VeloZer0
02-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Depends if it was any good or not. By default I would assume it wasn't until someone showed me evidence it was.

Jiro
02-02-2012, 08:31 PM
Sure, why not.

TrollHunter
02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Probably not, it depends on how good the story is and how well written it is.

Depression Moon
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Depends if it was any good or not. By default I would assume it wasn't until someone showed me evidence it was.

silentenigma
02-03-2012, 02:39 AM
Would you read a Final Fantasy comic book?

Only if by "comic" you mean "webcomic" and by "book" you mean "called 8-bit theater."

black orb
02-07-2012, 04:13 AM
UDON
>>> Ewwwwww...

Just give me a real FF manga instead plase..:luca:

SuperMillionaire
02-10-2012, 08:49 PM
UDON
>>> Ewwwwww...

Why don't you like UDON?

Mercen-X
02-11-2012, 07:59 PM
I'm still trying to get my hands on Final Fantasy Unlimited. I'd read anything Final Fantasy as a manga/graphic novel. Hell, I'd read it as a novel. Maybe not as a comic though. Hell, I'd probably read the manga if it just said Squaresoft/SQUARE ENIX on it.

Jiro
02-12-2012, 02:40 AM
What are the significant differences between a potential comic book adaptation of Final Fantasyand a potential manga adaptation of it? The only thing I can think of is art style, and I don't think that if you were going to create a Final Fantasy based comic book that you would suddenly stray from the base artistic designs.

Mercen-X
02-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Well, manga are fatter. You only get like 30 pages of material for an American made comic. Maybe that's also true for native Japanese customers but once a manga is released in America, you get like 2-3 times the amount of material you could expected from the average comic. Manga is why I've given up on comics altogether. And, yes, imo, usually the art style is also better. I've developed a bias towards bishie-style characterization over the more realistic tones featured in the average AMC.
Besides, Final Fantasy is rooted in Japan, who better to provide us with the reading material to coincide with it?

Jiro
02-15-2012, 12:40 AM
I was just curious, I've not had much interaction with either.

black orb
02-15-2012, 03:48 AM
UDON
>>> Ewwwwww...

Why don't you like UDON?
>>> I dont like their art, (not saying its bad) I just dont like it..:luca:

CimminyCricket
02-15-2012, 07:31 PM
If the art was something I could enjoy, I'd read it. Story doesn't matter, I only read comics for the pictures anyway.

Mercen-X
02-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Well, the story's already there anyway. I once pitched the idea of Square forming it's own Final Fantasy-based comics line (before I got into manga)... of course, I made the pitch in a letter to Tips & Tricks magazine because I didn't know how to contact Square and wasn't sure they'd heed my letter. Although my letter didn't get published, T&T sent me a typed reply that my idea was interesting but that I should probably have made a direct proposal to Square since T&T wasn't built to act as my go-between... T_T

Besides a letter I later got published in T&T under a lame pseudonym, this was the most attention anyone with any kind of busy schedule had ever paid to me. Ah, pitifulness.

Shlup
02-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Agreed. I wouldn't read it just because it was a Final Fantasy comic. I would judge it based on its own merits.

SuperMillionaire
03-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Well, manga are fatter. You only get like 30 pages of material for an American made comic. Maybe that's also true for native Japanese customers but once a manga is released in America, you get like 2-3 times the amount of material you could expected from the average comic. Manga is why I've given up on comics altogether. And, yes, imo, usually the art style is also better. I've developed a bias towards bishie-style characterization over the more realistic tones featured in the average AMC.
Besides, Final Fantasy is rooted in Japan, who better to provide us with the reading material to coincide with it?

Well, there's also graphic novels here in the Western World, plus tie-in issues from other comic book series...

But if you say that manga released here are 2-3 times the amount of pages as those released in Japan, why is that?

Mercen-X
03-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I still haven't gotten used to America Graphic Novels. The one I'm most familiar with is Sin City by Frank Miller.

It's a time issue. Some Japanese customers may only purchase Jump magazine to read two-four issues of manga they're familiar with, but just like our American comics, their mangaka only manage to release singular short issues with the constant "To Be Continued..." at the back. When I read Shonen Jump magazine, there are at least three issues of any given manga included in the book and when I pick up a manga for, say BLEACH or Naruto, there are like six-eight issues bound together.
Did you know there were 12 issues of Watchmen which make up its series?* And they bound them all together into a sleeve no thicker than perhaps two volumes of manga paperbacks would be combined here in the states. Of course, the size matches the traditional American comics sleeve in length and width.
*The same number makes up the DC universe simplification series "Crisis on Infinite Earths."

SuperMillionaire
03-19-2012, 08:43 PM
Aha, yes, I see now. And you've got some interesting facts there, too, cool.

Also, sometimes, a notable big event can be re-released later on as a special collector's edition trade paperback. Basically, they would take several issues of comics and put them together into a compilation, possibly along with extra additional content, turning it into a graphic novel. DC Comics did that with the 2003-2004 Marvel crossover JLA/Avengers (which was 20 years in the making, due to various prior disagreements between the two companies back in the 1980s).

Mercen-X
03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
I want them to do it for the Black Lantern arc of the Green Lantern comics. So many prismatic lanterns!

SuperMillionaire
03-29-2012, 08:43 PM
You know, DC rebooted their universe last year, calling it The New 52.

And I think that most non-Amano Final Fantasy art looks more like western comic book-style rather than manga-style. Perhaps they can make mangas for the Japanese, and western-style comics for everyone else.

Christmas
06-16-2022, 01:56 PM
Yes. Only if there is a Malboro's sex scene. :bigsmile: