PDA

View Full Version : Can you send a saved NES rom file to another computer via e-mail?

*Laurelindo*
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
The topic says it all.
I play NES roms on two different computers and I kinda want to move Save State files between them sometimes, so can I send them to myself via e-mail?
And if not, is there any other way?

The Man
02-04-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes, it should be possible, but how to do it depends upon where the emulator you're using stores its save data. Which depends on the emulator you're using, of course. Find out in which directory the emulator you're using stores its save data, then copy it into the appropriate directory on the second computer. Naturally, you'll probably need to be using the same ROM on both computers.

rubah
02-05-2012, 02:22 AM
dont use email the fbi is watching,,,,,

Mirage
02-05-2012, 07:46 AM
You can send any file with any method you want. Why e-mail though? Don't you have a USB drive?

Also, if you continuously switch between two computers, you can use Dropbox to make the process of syncronizing the two computers automatic. Then you won't have to do anything except save and go to your other computer.

G13
02-07-2012, 02:01 AM
You should check out dropbox, it's pretty nifty.

Jiro
02-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Dropbox is awesome.

blackmage_nuke
02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
if by some chance your email provider is a bitch about file extentions like some wont let you send exe's. Then you should put it in a zip file

Mirage
02-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Or just change the extention.

*Laurelindo*
03-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Hm, this thread is probably quite old by now, but there was one more thing I was a little concerned about, if that's alright:

Although I am probably going to use DropBox for this, what would happen if I were to send a NES rom file to myself via e-mail on another occasion?
Does it count as "illegal activities" and do you risk getting arrested for it?
Personally I highly doubt it, but I was wondering anyway.

Mirage
03-17-2013, 08:06 PM
If you're so worried, just encrypt it with a different name.

Are you this worried about everything in your life?

And again, why are you using e-mails? Don't you have a USB drive or something?

*Laurelindo*
03-18-2013, 02:09 PM
If you're so worried, just encrypt it with a different name.

Are you this worried about everything in your life?

And again, why are you using e-mails? Don't you have a USB drive or something?
I frankly consider it totally normal to feel a bit concerned about sharing illegal ROM files between two different computers.

I do own a USB, but I'm not sure where I have it right now.
But I will certainly use either that one or DropBox.

Jowy
03-18-2013, 09:18 PM
nobody is gonna call the cops because you downloaded a twenty year old game off the Internet to play. :aimsun:

*Laurelindo*
03-19-2013, 05:39 AM
nobody is gonna call the cops because you downloaded a twenty year old game off the Internet to play. :aimsun:
That's what I would assume as well, but I think it's wiser to be careful about this kind of thing.
It can technically count as illegal sharing, after all. although it would be amazingly stupid if I got arrested for this while millions of other people on YouTube admit using them.

Mirage
03-19-2013, 05:00 PM
All right I'll give you the answer you want.

No, for god's sake, do not email yourself the ROM. The cyber police will no doubt find you and sentence you to twenty years of no internet access.

If you absolutely have to do it, make sure you triple-encrypt it with AES256 first, and change the filename to "my.girlfriends.tits.jpg" before sending it. This is the only way to be safe.

Btw you should put on a helmet before exiting your house as well. You know, just in case.

It is also completely ridiculous that you insist on using e-mail for this while at the same time being so extremely worried about being found out, when the USB STORAGE DEVICE I mentioned earlier would be completely impossible for any of the EVIL GOVERNMENT INTERNET DUDES to find out about.

*Laurelindo*
03-19-2013, 05:48 PM
All right I'll give you the answer you want.

No, for god's sake, do not email yourself the ROM. The cyber police will no doubt find you and sentence you to twenty years of no internet access.

If you absolutely have to do it, make sure you triple-encrypt it with AES256 first, and change the filename to "my.girlfriends.tits.jpg" before sending it. This is the only way to be safe.

Btw you should put on a helmet before exiting your house as well. You know, just in case.

It is also completely ridiculous that you insist on using e-mail for this while at the same time being so extremely worried about being found out, when the USB STORAGE DEVICE I mentioned earlier would be completely impossible for any of the EVIL GOVERNMENT INTERNET DUDES to find out about.Wow, you are being a real ass right now, to be quite honest.
That was a pretty unnecessary reaction, I was never being rude or unpolite in any way at all.
Calm down a little ffs, I have even said that I will use a USB devide or the DropBox program, I was just wondering about the e-mail issue in case I have to do that sometime in the future.
I don't understand this kind of aggressive and over-defensive kind of reaction, it pretty much says "ZOMG he is up to something against me, I have to defend myself like all hell and show who's boss" or something.

Really... take it easy!
People really need to loosen up a little nowadays.

Anyway - thank you for the advice, USB and DropBox seem like the most practical solutions.

Mirage
03-19-2013, 05:56 PM
My reaction isn't any less unnecessary than your apparent police paranoia.

I was hoping you would understand how you're coming off by the post I make, please don't tell me it didn't work.

Don't you realize how weird you sound? One second you're saying "yeah I know it is really really really unlikely for me to get caught and it would be totally crazy if they jailed me for this", and then the next second you're going all "BUT THAT 0.00000000000000001% CHANCE COULD STILL HAPPEN, MAYBE I SHOULDN'T DO IT!!??"

*Laurelindo*
03-19-2013, 06:01 PM

I was hoping you would understand how you're coming off by the post I make, please don't tell me it didn't work.My "police paranoia" is well-founded, because sharing illegal files between computers is a risky idea.

But since I have already got some help with this now, I am totally content.
Nice.

Mirage
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
You're welcome.

The Man
03-19-2013, 06:06 PM
I have been heavily engaged in piracy for well over ten years and never once have I gotten in legal trouble for it. No one's going to put you in jail for sharing a ROM with yourself.

*Laurelindo*
03-19-2013, 06:42 PM
You're welcome.
Ah okay, that's better.

Shorty
03-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Simmer down, chillens.

Old Manus
03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
The cyberpolice never simmer down.

theundeadhero
03-30-2013, 09:53 AM
I used to do it with 3.5" floppies back in the day :p

nik0tine
04-01-2013, 09:16 PM
This is the most entertaining thread I have seen in years.

*Laurelindo*
04-04-2013, 05:40 PM

I was hoping you would understand how you're coming off by the post I make, please don't tell me it didn't work.

Don't you realize how weird you sound? One second you're saying "yeah I know it is really really really unlikely for me to get caught and it would be totally crazy if they jailed me for this", and then the next second you're going all "BUT THAT 0.00000000000000001% CHANCE COULD STILL HAPPEN, MAYBE I SHOULDN'T DO IT!!??"Your reaction is completely unnecessary, and makes you come off as really aggreessive and immature.
It is possible that I was overly cautious about this, but that's much better than being careless, since moving illegal files between two computers technically can count as illegal sharing, and that can be discovered; this is what made me hesitate to do this in the first place, and this doesn't by any means validate you to act the way you do right row.
You could have very easily stated your point in a much more reasonable way, for example something along the lines "dude, you are worrying way too much, nobody will jail you for doing this".
Sounds much better, don't you think?

Also, I hope you realize that writing in all caps with excessive exclamation and question marks would actually get you moderated on most forums, since it is considered Disruptive Posting.

The Man
04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
I have never once posted on a message board that would do anything to people posting a sentence in all caps. Not even FFOnline had rules that strict. I have no idea what corners of the internet you are frequenting, but they certainly aren't typical.

*Laurelindo*
04-04-2013, 05:46 PM
I have never once posted on a message board that would do anything to people posting a sentence in all caps. Not even FFOnline had rules that strict. I have no idea what corners of the internet you are frequenting, but they certainly aren't typical.That wasn't my main point - read my post again.

And yes, I would say that about 70% of all forums I'm a member of do have that rule;
GameFaqs is probably the best example in this context.
But again, this was not my chief point in that post - I was saying that acting all pissed at me just because I asked a question where the answer was considered "obvious" to Mirage is unjustified, just as much as it is unjustified for a teacher to get mad at a student who has learning problems with a subject.

Kind questions deserve kind answers

Shorty
04-05-2013, 05:39 AM
This isn't GameFaqs, I already said simmer down once, and this thread has painfully derailed from the original post's content. Game over.

Old Manus
04-18-2013, 07:32 PM
posting in not-actually-locked threa-(USER WAS TAKEN BY THE CYBERPOLICE)