PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy vs Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or BlazBlue?

SuperMillionaire
02-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Since somebody else brought this up in a previous thread, I decided that I'd turn it into a separate topic. If Final Fantasy were to crossover with any fighting game franchise, which would you like best: Dead or Alive, Street Fighter, Soul Calibur, or BlazBlue?

Mirage
02-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Considering most final fantasy games involve melee weapons, soul calibur sounds like the obvious choice.

Gamblet
02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Considering most final fantasy games involve melee weapons, soul calibur sounds like the obvious choice.

Mirage
02-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Often times, the time periods of Final Fantasy games aren't too far away from the 16-17th century world of Soul Calibur either.

-edit-
Oh yeah, seeing as SC5 has got critical edge (supers) now, that would fit perfectly with things such as limit breaks/overdrives/desperation attacks.

Jiro
02-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Mirage and Gamblet are correct. You could potentially include fighters like Tifa and Zell and Yang etc into Dead or Alive/Street Fighter because their weapons are their fists and feet but you can't be realistic if you have Cloud walk in and start punching the fuck out of people. It just doesn't happen. Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS

Gamblet
02-06-2012, 05:46 PM
Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS

You're doing it wrong. :kakapo:

Depression Moon
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Dead Fantasy as a game would be the shit!

Mirage
02-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Mirage and Gamblet are correct. You could potentially include fighters like Tifa and Zell and Yang etc into Dead or Alive/Street Fighter because their weapons are their fists and feet but you can't be realistic if you have Cloud walk in and start punching the fuck out of people. It just doesn't happen. Also Yoshimitsu in Tekken always annoyed me for NOT STABBING WHAT BUTTONS DO I PRESS

Tifa could probably be included along with weapon-wielding opponents, considering the respectable length of the spikes/claws on some of her fighting gloves. Give her some sturdy gauntlets for her lower arms so that she can block weapons and you're good to go. This is how they incorporated Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2, after all. She would be a really close range fighter though, so she'll probably need some really fast dashes, tech crouches and high priority attacks in order to be balanced up against the others.

Depression Moon
02-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Devil Jin's moveset is available in V and the cc work fine despite not having any weapons fixated onto them. Not to mention Tifa and Zell also have the option of using magic too for long range if need be.

Jiro
02-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Tifa could probably be included along with weapon-wielding opponents, considering the respectable length of the spikes/claws on some of her fighting gloves. Give her some sturdy gauntlets for her lower arms so that she can block weapons and you're good to go. This is how they incorporated Heihachi in Soul Calibur 2, after all. She would be a really close range fighter though, so she'll probably need some really fast dashes, tech crouches and high priority attacks in order to be balanced up against the others.

My point was more that fist fighters can easily transfer into weapon based games, but the reverse is not true. Weapon users make less sense when in pure hand to hand combat games.

black orb
02-07-2012, 03:50 AM
>>> Tatsunoko..:luca:

Mirage
02-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Didn't see that one coming

SuperMillionaire
03-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Here's my personal analysis of these hypothetical crossovers:

Yes, Tatsunoko characters do use a lot of weapons (at least from what I've seen in Tatsunoko vs Capcom), and some characters in Marvel vs Capcom 3 (both regular and Ultimate editions included) also used weapons, such as Zero, Dante, Trish, Vergil, Strider, Frank West, Deadpool, Ghost Rider, and so on, even though the majority of the characters simply used their fists (some of them had weapons that only served as a supplement to their hand-to-hand combat, such as Captain America with his shield and, technically, Wolverine with his claws).

While most earlier Final Fantasy games were set in medieval times, more recent Final Fantasy games, particularly those by Tetsuya Nomura, are placed in a more modern setting. So while non-Nomura Final Fantasy games can generally go well with Soul Calibur, Nomura's Final Fantasy games may not mesh quite as well. Then again, we had Star Wars characters in IV, so that contradicts that, and also consider that the only two magical weapons in the series are the title sword, Soul Calibur, and its "nemesis," Soul Edge.

BlazBlue, as was its "spiritual predecessor," Guilty Gear, if you will, is set in a very futuristic world, presumably in the 22nd or 23rd century. It's possible that Nomura's Final Fantasy characters can mesh well with the BlazBlue characters, but none of the other, more "medieval" characters would mesh all that well.

Both Street Fighter and Dead or Alive are set in the modern world, but between the two, even though most of the characters from these two franchises don't use weapons, despite the existence of the non-canonical Dead Fantasy series (which I think needs a reboot if Monty Oum won't continue it), I would say that the former goes better with Final Fantasy, since there are lots of high-flying special moves that involve magical projectiles (or rather, spiritual energy or "chi/ki"). If there were to be a future "Square Enix vs Capcom" game in the works, I would imagine such a game to play similarly to the Marvel vs Capcom series. On the other hand, the whole Dead Fantasy thing was, for the most part, mainly about the girls (with the exception of Cloud and a few other guys in IV and V), and while the character models of Square Enix and Tecmo do have some degree of resemblance, I don't think that the fighting styles would mesh too well in an actual game, unless they added some Marvel vs Capcom and BlazBlue-style influences. Furthermore, the characters on the Final Fantasy side (with the exception of Kairi from Kingdom Hearts) all came from VII, VIII, and X, all of whom (including Kairi) were designed and created by Tetsuya Nomura, and no other Final Fantasy characters created by other Square Enix character designers were included (XIII didn't come out yet at that time).

As a side note, I should also point out two interesting facts:

The first fact: Just as the original Final Fantasy was a last-ditch effort to get Squaresoft out of the red, the first Dead or Alive game was also an all-or-nothing last chance effort to get Tecmo out of the red, and it wound up paying off.

The second fact: Both Final Fantasy and Street Fighter originated in 1987.

Overall, I think that all of these hypothetical crossovers could have potential, as long as they tweak certain aspects of the mechanics behind the fighting.

Jessweeee♪
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Yoshimitsu is awesome because he can fly.

SuperMillionaire
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
And Yoshimitsu was in both Tekken and Soul Calibur, right?

Anyway, perhaps Square Enix should allow Tecmo, Capcom, Namco, and Arc System Works to make one crossover each?

Sum1sGruj
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
My question is: When the hell are they going to put Cloud and Sephiroth in Soul Caliber? It is obvious that fans want it.
:mad2: Must be some Japanese mind trick- like showing a tech demo for a new gen FF7 and not actually making it.

Alpha2099
04-02-2012, 09:32 PM
Always been a Soul Calibur fan. That would make for a great crossover.

Hollycat
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
I;'m going to say BlazBlue because I love the art style, even though I have never once beaten unlimited mode.

Jiro
04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
FF vs Dynasty Warriors if you ask me.

Depression Moon
04-03-2012, 03:00 AM
The Dynasty Warrior characters would lose because they're only limited to the square button.

Hollycat
04-03-2012, 03:13 AM
and triangle, and circle, and r1 and sometimes L2, and R3.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-03-2012, 04:55 AM
I want Bushido Blade 3.

Make that happen.

Kaspian69
04-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Let's just do a Tobal No. 1 x Bloody Roar and let the obscurists duke it out. :p

Roto13
04-10-2012, 06:50 PM
BlazBlue would probably fit the best. It's the most animu, and it's weapons based. Not that I'd be particularly thrilled with any of these crossovers.
My question is: When the hell are they going to put Cloud and Sephiroth in Soul Caliber? It is obvious that fans want it.
:mad2: Must be some Japanese mind trick- like showing a tech demo for a new gen FF7 and not actually making it.

Fans of what want it? I can't say I've heard much buzz over people wanting Final Fantasy characters in SoulCalibur.

SuperMillionaire
04-26-2012, 08:35 PM

I;'m going to say BlazBlue because I love the art style, even though I have never once beaten unlimited mode.

Tetsuya Nomura's character designs would certainly go great with BlazBlue. However, the other non-Nomura characters would be better with Soul Calibur, though I would still certainly like to see Cloud and Sephiroth as official guest characters in a Soul Calibur game too. I've seen tons of videos featuring recreation of various Final Fantasy characters in III, IV, Broken Destiny, and V on YouTube, so I'm certainly sure that fans would want it.

DarkBahamut
05-08-2012, 12:51 AM
Can't believe only me and Del Murder voted for Street Fighter..:kakapo:

Mirage
05-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Why would we? There is a gazillion capcom versus whatever games already.

SuperMillionaire
05-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I think that Namco and Tecmo might start palling to do the same too in the near future, considering all the guest characters they have in their games...