PDA

View Full Version : Accents!

Freya
02-05-2012, 06:40 AM
Apparently, I really suck at a british accent. But that doesn't mean I still don't find them extremeeeely attractive. Australian ones too ;)

What accents are you good at faking and which do you just plain like! Or which do you hate?

Yar
02-05-2012, 08:01 AM
I like Southern accents. foa :heart: I wonder what my accent sounds like when I speak Japanese... :p

Quindiana Jones
02-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Every American sucks at the British accent. Mostly because there's no such fucking thing as a British accent. xD

Irish accents, the proper yummy ones, tickle me in ways I could never describe. And the French. Unf.

Pheesh
02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
Those normal sounding british accents and the slightly posh ones are pretty hot. I also like French and Russian (when it's not some big fat russian lady who sounds manlier than me speaking).

Chris
02-05-2012, 10:34 AM
According to my English Professor, I have an unmistakable American accent. What does that even mean? So many to choose from.

Old Manus
02-05-2012, 11:08 AM
After spending a few years living with some guys from the Black Country and deciphering their horrendous accent, I think I can emulate it well enough for them to take me in as their own.

Mittopotahis
02-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I possess the special ability of being able to mutilate any accent I try to do. The only one I've got a "hey I kinda see what you're trying to do there" response to is Scottish. Instead of trying to imitate a sound, I try to imitate a person who has that accent and it just never works.

And I have one of those sexy Australian accents. ;)

Rianoa
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM
I have a northern English accent instead of bath I say baff, but I spend so much time in London its now a mix of fancy and northness :tongue:.

Psychotic
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Americans just can't make the sounds required to do a good British accent. I can be a generic American pretty well, and also my mastery of Eastern Europe/Russia is good. I'm utterly terrible at other accents.

I really like Northern Irish accents. I like their harshness compared to the softer southern ones. Sing to me Huxley~ but not in that generic British posh voice of yours :colbert:

fire_of_avalon
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
I am not good at doing any accents. A friend of mine has a recording of me trying to emulate the Indian helpdesk people I used to have to call at Kmart and it's really awful. Doesn't stop me from making an ass of myself though.

This guy at my mew job is amazing with accents. He does Peggy from USA prime credit juuuust awesome.

DK
02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
After spending a few years living with some guys from the Black Country and deciphering their horrendous accent, I think I can emulate it well enough for them to take me in as their own.

You poor, wretched thing. I am truly sorry for your suffering. :(

Also, I'm pretty good with accents. Mainly UK ones, but I can do a few others from around the world fairly well as well. I think my favourites to do are the Scouse accent and the Michael Bisping, which Paul loves and would have whispered into his ear every minute of every day if he could.

as for accents I like, I would listen to Mikey Holding all god damn day. Smoothest voice in the history of the world. Just listen to him. :heart: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jaVRVZUTxM) I also enjoy Latin accents. Well when I say that, I mean the accent Latino people have when they speak english.

Pike
02-05-2012, 02:53 PM
I really like Northern Irish accents. I like their harshness compared to the softer southern ones. Sing to me Huxley~ but not in that generic British posh voice of yours :colbert:

Anyone who hasn't heard Huxley talk is missing out on the most delightful of accents. ALL OF THE ONES HE HAS

Dat Norn Irish
Dat cute light-English thing he does
Dat way he mispronounces Spokane and Oregon
Dat Estonian
Dat way he emulates every accent under the sun when he plays vidya
Dat adorable Huxley singing along to Mayhem :love: :love:

... 'kay I'll stop.

I think my accent is pretty generic American English. I really don't think anything sticks out about it, except apparently the way I say everything wrong according to Hux. :colbert: Seriously all I have to do is say "Graham's hovering crayons" and he gets all pissy.

Foob
02-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Americans just can't make the sounds required to do a good British accent. I can be a generic American pretty well, and also my mastery of Eastern Europe/Russia is good. I'm utterly terrible at other accents.

I can actually do some really killer English accents. But not just the generic London ones. So psh!

Ps: I vote that everyone posts a voice recording of their best accent!

Madame Adequate
02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Seriously all I have to do is say "Graham's hovering crayons" and he gets all pissy.

No see if you said that it would be fine, but what you actually say is "Gram's huvvering crans". :eyebrow:

Edit: Dan's Bisping accent is so unbelievably glorious that you honestly cannot fathom its true form without hearing it.

Freya
02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
I'm now convinced Milf needs to read me a story.

Bunny
02-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I can butcher any accent like a pro.

NorthernChaosGod
02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm now convinced Milf needs to read me a story.
I want Pike to read me the same story and compare.

Laddy
02-05-2012, 08:25 PM
I had to learn to do a British accent for a play so I'm pretty good at that.

Australian as well. Oddly enough, I can't do a Southern accent.

Shiny
02-05-2012, 08:27 PM
People from the East (of U.S.) think I have a Southern accent whereas people from the South think I have a Eastern accent. It's very perplexing. I think I have a pretty generic American accent, but I can go in and out of Noik accent if I have to. I have family from North Carolina so some of their speech has probably rubbed off.

Tigmafuzz
02-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm pretty good at accents. It's the languages themselves I have trouble with. I had the privilege of being introduced to several accents and people from different cultures growing up. Having a lot of different foster families, living with a guy who had people over that spoke numerous languages, et cetera. So I can do the accents, I just have trouble keeping up with the conversation at times depending on the language.

Shlup
02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
The only accent I can pull off is southern. xP

TrollHunter
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
Me? Accents? No way in hell.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 12:26 AM
I want to hear you all do your best British accents, and I will rate them. Spoiler: you will all fail.

You pricks. :doublecolbert:

Tigmafuzz
02-06-2012, 01:09 AM
British accent = American accent sans idiocracy

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 01:28 AM
The term American accent pisses me off as much as British. xD Fucking meaningless!

Freya
02-06-2012, 01:29 AM
Why cause we enunciate? We're not french, we don't like to just add in letters for no reason.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 01:49 AM
I don't even know who KC is talking to now. xD

Tigmafuzz
02-06-2012, 01:56 AM
I have no idea what's going on anywhere.

Freya
02-06-2012, 02:01 AM
Oh it was to cloud7777777777777777777.

Also also, Quin, I bet the terms of american and british accents make you mad because you have a silly farmboy british accent. :D

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Didn't you grow up on a farm? :p

Freya
02-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Ranch, I don't farm horses. And I have a neutral american accent with twinges of texanness.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 02:06 AM
My arse you do! We need proof!

Freya
02-06-2012, 02:07 AM
We need proof of your farm boy british accent too! :colbert:

I Don't Need A Name
02-06-2012, 02:09 AM
We need proof of your farm boy british accent too! :colbert:

I heavily recall a voice conversation between you, myself, Quin and Psy in which all our vocal skills were shown off. You've already had your West Country accent proof from him ;]

I'm fairly accentless, I've been told

Freya
02-06-2012, 02:11 AM
EXACTLY! So none of us have to prove anything xD

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 02:25 AM
OO-AAARRRRRRR! I cahn't read n I cahn't write, buh tha' doughn' even ma'er! Cuz I do cuhm frahm zummerzeht n I cahn droyv a tra'er!

I Don't Need A Name
02-06-2012, 02:27 AM
Just about covers it really, doesn't it

Freya
02-06-2012, 02:29 AM
I can't even read that. o.o YOU'LL HAVE TO PROVIDE A VOICE CLIP FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND QUIN.

Pheesh
02-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Australian as well.

Calling bulltit until I hear it. And "G'day mate, that's not a noife, chuck another shrimp on the barbie" does not count |:<

NorthernChaosGod
02-06-2012, 03:22 AM
Ranch, I don't farm horses. And I have a neutral american accent with twinges of texanness.
Lies! California is the neutral accent. :colbert:

The Man
02-06-2012, 03:27 AM
I've been told I do a reasonably passable British accent, which is probably because I've spent about six months of my life in Britain, plus I listen to an absurd amount of British comedy. However I'm rubbish at distinguishing individual British accents, though I can obviously tell Received Pronunciation from Cockney. Actual Brits could probably tell my faux accent from the real thing.

I'm pretty rubbish at other accents. I do a tolerable imitation of Tom Lehrer's faux-Irish and faux-Russian accents on "The Irish Ballad" and "Lobachevsky" respectively, but I doubt those are particularly authentic accents.

I've been told I have a "Florida accent", whatever that means. There are probably at least four different accents in Florida and I kind of have a mix of all of them.

Iceglow
02-06-2012, 03:52 AM
I have a couple of natural accents I suppose. There's the everyday "Lahdahn Town!" accent which is only something I use to either make Paul and Dan laugh or if I'm dealing with the local idiots. There's what I consider my normal accent which is relatively posh English accent (note not British, I'm neither Welsh nor Scottish and nor do I tend to speak in their accents I am English and speak with an English accent)

Accents I can impersonate relatively well:

Irish I can actually pass for a native in Ireland if I had to. The number of St Paddy's day drinks I've been to where the only safe people in the pub are Irish and I've been taken for one is astounding, you just have to remember some Irish geography so that when asked about where you're from you can say "Oh I'm from <insert Irish place name, remember to be sure it's southern or northern depending on the bar and people in it at time> but I moved here when I was young, still me family keeps me speaking in the accent"

I have been known to do a fairly impressive Sunderland/Geordie accent on occasion comes through better when out drinking or around my Geordie/Sunderlander colleagues

Australian, I'm learning slowly to my horror that my housemates and many Australian and Kiwi friends through them are fast infecting me and I'm beginning to even sound like them. This is a cancer which must be stopped.

American, I can do generic neutral American I can also do a pretty good "southern accent" though I don't always pronounce things right in the southern accent and thus get given away easily.

French, I can do a pretty convincing french accent apart from that at times I can be under-nasal to get the right sound and I don't roll my R's cause I can't.

I've been mistaken for a South African a couple of times, I don't see how myself but it's never been a bad thing to get confused for in the situations I have been in where it has happened. Once it saved me getting a big black angry South African kicking off at me when I was 16. It has also saved me from a couple of bar fights started between British people and South African's in Rugby World Cups. It also has gotten me laid the once, the girl was pretty drunk at the time though and she did go "oh wow, I thought you were a Saffer last night when I spoke to you...still good fun though" next morning.

Bunny
02-06-2012, 04:06 AM
Lies! California is the neutral accent. :colbert:

Gnarly waves, bro.

Quindiana Jones
02-06-2012, 04:16 AM
Yeah there's definitely a Californian accent. And it's horrific. :bigsmile:

Laddy
02-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Australian as well.

Calling bulltit until I hear it. And "G'day mate, that's not a noife, chuck another shrimp on the barbie" does not count |:<Notice I did not say Crocodile Dundee? :colbert:

Jiro
02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
They're prawns anyway. I can do a passable australian accent.

Also I can say about three words that sound very kiwi and a couple of phrases that make me sound like the stereotypical chimney sweep brit. The good thing is that the americans are so bad at accents that I actually sound like a native of all of these places to them.

Pheesh
02-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Australian as well.

Calling bulltit until I hear it. And "G'day mate, that's not a noife, chuck another shrimp on the barbie" does not count |:<Notice I did not say Crocodile Dundee? :colbert:

Still won't believe it until I hear it. :doublecolbert:

Bubba
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
I'm from Northern England as well but I've been told I'm quite well spoken for this neck of the woods.

The only accent I can do is a deep, Southern American one. I've based this entirely on the film "Deliverance".

That being the case people are justifiably disturbed when I ask them to squeal like a pig.

Edit:

It amuses me that all these British claim that they can do American southern accents. Even Americans can't do that well. I'm sure you lot botch it.

You're probably right, Freya. My pig-squealing is particularly impressive though... especially when I'm being penetrated by a mountain-man.

Freya
02-06-2012, 01:58 PM
It amuses me that all these British claim that they can do American southern accents. Even Americans can't do that well. I'm sure you lot botch it.

Pike
02-06-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm American and I can't do Southern.

I can make pretty good Pokemon sounds, though.

Madame Adequate
02-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Y'all oughta ask Rye about my Southern accent.

NorthernChaosGod
02-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Do take requests? :jess:

Jiro
02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
Obviously you should all man the fuck up and post voice clips along with your accents.

Araciel
02-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Canadian.

The Man
02-06-2012, 07:53 PM
I've lived in the American South for pretty much all of my life and even I can't do a good stereotypical Southern accent. Of course Florida doesn't really have a typical Southern accent amongst most of its residents, but even so.

Tigmafuzz
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
That's all that matters.

I hope so. I've never heard a good Jigglypuff.

Pike
02-06-2012, 10:51 PM

That depends on the Pokemon!

Madame Adequate
02-06-2012, 10:55 PM

She'll do anything for a Wobbuffet.

NorthernChaosGod
02-06-2012, 11:19 PM

The original 151. :3

Bunny
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM

The original 151. :3

AKA The Only Pokemon That Truly Exist.

Freya
02-06-2012, 11:52 PM
I tried a british accent. YEAH I am the only one to post my atrocity.

Andy picked the phrase, blame him. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/british%20accent.wav)

I Don't Need A Name
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Not baaaad...apart from 'My tea's gone coooooll-' *insert coughing fit here*

escobert
02-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I'm no good with accents. I speak like a vermonter which is pretty generic USA accent. Liz used to always pick on my accent but I don't think it's a noticable as say a masshole or somone from the south. Or hell even Southern New Hampshire.

I Don't Need A Name
02-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Okay, blame Kaycee for this one..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/IDNANGump.wma

Freya
02-07-2012, 12:14 AM
bahaha I love it!

Here's my Newfie accent (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/Newfie%20accent.wav) attempt.

I Don't Need A Name
02-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Worth it for the giggle.

Freya
02-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Ahhh now I just keep attempting them xD Here's a very fail of an aussie accent. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/Austrailian%20accent.wav)

I Don't Need A Name
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Well at least it started off okay! xD

Freya
02-07-2012, 12:57 AM
And lastly, here is my southern accent. This one is a bit long, my fast accent sucks and I stumbled over the word complimentary. But, Nevertheless, here you go. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/Southern%20accent.wav)

I Don't Need A Name
02-07-2012, 12:58 AM
Thank god for the explaination xD

Freya
02-07-2012, 01:05 AM
Southerners eh? It confused the heck out of me when some old guy said it to me the first time. Then he was embarrassed to explain it.

Unbreakable Will
02-07-2012, 05:36 AM
Something about a woman with a british accent drives me crazy. :smug:

I hate southern accents that are outrageously over the top. It's like nails on a chalkboard and makes me want to punch them with gloves made out of barb-wire, and seeing as I live in the south this compulsion comes over me quite frequently.

Jiro
02-07-2012, 07:36 AM
Freya wins this thread by the way.

Freya
02-07-2012, 09:38 AM
:smug: but more people should post their attempts at accents!

Pike
02-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Yesterday Hux used the term "a quare gunk".

That is all.

Psychotic
02-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I tried a british accent. YEAH I am the only one to post my atrocity.

Andy picked the phrase, blame him. (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29631253/british%20accent.wav)Not only do I blame Andy, I blame every single one of his ancestors who procreated to form his creation. God damn. :colbert:

I Don't Need A Name
02-08-2012, 11:38 AM
I thought she'd be able to manage that phrase! Would you rather I went for 'You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off?' :colbert: