PDA

View Full Version : Soul Calibur V (5) in stores now

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2012, 08:06 PM
Soul Calibur V (5) is in stores now. The game takes place some 17 years after IV. I hear that the character customization will be much more advanced than in previous games, and it also features Ezio Auditore de Firenze from Assassin's Creed. Plus, instead of critical finishes, we now have super combos that come from a power gauge, and Ring-Outs no longer end the round, as each arena now has multiple stages, and when you knock an opponent off a platform, both fighters fall down to the next platform to continue the battle from there.

Depression Moon
02-08-2012, 09:09 PM
I played the game a couple of days ago. It's very good gameplay-wise. I just wish that all fighting games now have the option of unlocking everything from the start, because it's a nuisance spending time unlocking characters and custom items if you only have the game for two days. Gameplay-wise its fast and I like the critical edges. I just think it's stupid that escaping from throws causes damage to the person who escapes it. So when a person gets grabbed they will take damage regardless which makes no sense to punish the player for catching an opponent's grab attempt.

and Ring-Outs no longer end the round, as each arena now has multiple stages, and when you knock an opponent off a platform, both fighters fall down to the next platform to continue the battle from there.
That is not true. Ring-Outs are still end, the stage transition thing just occurs when one player has only one round to win. It has no involvement during the battle, it just changes the arena during the last round or two.

Slothy
02-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I played the game a couple of days ago. It's very good gameplay-wise. I just wish that all fighting games now have the option of unlocking everything from the start, because it's a nuisance spending time unlocking characters and custom items if you only have the game for two days.

Couldn't agree more with you here. I can understand having unlockables in a story or arcade mode for those who enjoy that sort of thing, but multiplayer should have everything unlocked immediately so there are no artificial barriers to a level playing field. Bad enough trying to learn how to play the game against human opponents without have to spend hours unlocking things before you get to try it all.

I just think it's stupid that escaping from throws causes damage to the person who escapes it. So when a person gets grabbed they will take damage regardless which makes no sense to punish the player for catching an opponent's grab attempt.

Really? That is definitely stupid if that's the case. It's not even like escaping throws is usually that easy in fighting games either. The whole point of a reversal is to add some risk to throwing and give players a small opportunity to avoid it completely. Making them take damage from doing it is kind of missing the point.

That is not true. Ring-Outs are still end, the stage transition thing just occurs when one player has only one round to win. It has no involvement during the battle, it just changes the arena during the last round or two.

I'm not sure I follow here. Are you saying that ring-outs will still end a round, unless one player just has to win that round to win the fight, in which case it transitions to a new level and the round continues from there?

I haven't played the game yet but if that is the case then I don't think I like it. Part of what made ring outs great is that they make positioning super important. You could be winning the round in health, but if you let your opponent maneuver you towards the edge of the ring that can change very quickly. If there's no risk of losing to a ring out then the final round might as well be a completely different game. Then again, I may just be misunderstanding you here.

That said, I'll probably get this eventually. David Sirlin posted on his site saying it was actually quite good despite some awkward, and somewhat inexplicable, design issues. I tend to agree with that man's thoughts and feelings on fighting games as well, so him saying he enjoyed it carries a good deal of weight with me.

Depression Moon
02-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Certain stages in this game have 2 parts. You'll only get to the 2nd part of the stage when one player only has one round to win. Say the first part of the stage is a tiny platform when player B has one 2/3 rounds on that third round there's a mini cutscene and the rest of the fight will take place at a larger area. Ring-outs still work as they normally do.

Really? That is definitely stupid if that's the case. It's not even like escaping throws is usually that easy in fighting games either. The whole point of a reversal is to add some risk to throwing and give players a small opportunity to avoid it completely. Making them take damage from doing it is kind of missing the point.

Yeah, you don't take the whole damage that you would've from the throw though like 10% of it, but it's still stupid.

Mirage
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
You take damage if your throw break is slow. If you do it fast enough, you don't take damage.

Also, both ring out, and ring out free stages are part of the game. There are some stages that you can't ring out on, and that's fine. it affects both players equally.

Slothy
02-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Certain stages in this game have 2 parts. You'll only get to the 2nd part of the stage when one player only has one round to win. Say the first part of the stage is a tiny platform when player B has one 2/3 rounds on that third round there's a mini cutscene and the rest of the fight will take place at a larger area. Ring-outs still work as they normally do.

Ok, I get it now. Thanks for clearing that up.

You take damage if your throw break is slow. If you do it fast enough, you don't take damage.

Ok, that's a bit better, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I think I'd need to actually play the game and get a feel for it, because it seems like something that could be a bit of a boon to slower players (ie: we'll lengthen the window where you can counter, but you'll take damage if you're slow) but also punish players who are a bit better by making it more likely that the opponent escapes full damage if they are generous with the timing window. I'm a bit more ambivalent about it though with that clarification. Maybe it was a concession made to compensate for lag since I could definitely see some poor latency making someone completely miss the window to break a throw. Again, I'd need to play it to really comment on how it plays out because the timing of the reversal and how it all feels in action is obviously very important.

Also, both ring out, and ring out free stages are part of the game. There are some stages that you can't ring out on, and that's fine. it affects both players equally.

Despite what I said earlier, I actually don't have a problem with there being ring out free stages, or stages with only a few open sides in the game. They've been present in the series for quite a while (I'm thinking 2 since it was the last one I played extensively and it was significantly less ring out happy than SC1), and in competitive play especially I can see it providing incentive to want to get the stage select, and they offer the potential to lead to new strategies compared to ring out stages and completely alter someones gameplan. My issue was more with the idea of having a ring out stage, but then arbitrarily removing ring outs after so many rounds of a fight. It was entirely based on my misunderstanding of Depression Moons first post obviously, though I still stand by the fact that ring outs are a very important part of this game. I actually would like to see them slightly easier to pull off than they were in 2 and 3 to be honest, though I wouldn't want them to be as easy as they were in SC1.

Pete for President
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Played it at a friend's house a few days ago. Can't say I was impressed by the new additions compared to IV. Voice acting was annoying for some characters. And I'm a little disappointed when I read: 'this many new fighters!' but in fact they are exactly like older characters apart from a new name and skin, rather than a new fighting style.

I own 2,3 and IV. I don't think I'll get this one.

Madame Adequate
02-09-2012, 06:07 PM
I've already made a completely insane character called Apple who has a large apple floating in front of his crotch, wears a plague mask, polka dot turban, fur scarf, and barber shop quartet's striped top with a big black footprint on it. And a gimpy sex slave whose mouth is held closed by piercings. Called Sarah :jess:

Vyk
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Much preferred over SC4. Story mode is back. In all its short glory. Still miss Chronicles of the Sword, but failing that, at least its not a retarded endurance run like 4 was. Though I really hate the time-lapse between games in this series. All my favorite characters are now old maids :(

Rocket Edge
02-10-2012, 10:31 PM
I'll probably get this because I loved Tekken 6 so much. The last I owned was 3 I think. Ivy, Kilik, & Yoshimitsu ftw.

Madame Adequate
02-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Now that I unlocked Edge Master (no Olcadan :() I've made a SUPER KAWAIIIIII UGUU~ genki girl dressed in a strawberry skirt and all kinds of cute stuff and it's so hilarious to destroy people with her. They get SO MAD when you win as Edge Master.

E; Fuck Algol and the people who main him.

DMKA
02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
I want to check it out when the price drops.

SoulCalibur IV is my favorite game to play online. So much rage-quitting and angry messages in my inbox. Does V deliver in this department as well?

Mirage
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
No idea, but the online code is way better at least, so it'll let you use your skills to a higher degree.

MILF, you're in Europe, right? We might have acceptable latencies. Which console do you play on?

KentaRawr!
02-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm as skilled at this game as its plot is good.

In other words, I'm really not very good at this game. And the story is goofy.

I still like it though. :3 I'll get better.

Mirage
02-13-2012, 09:43 AM
The story is terrible, and there is not even a tiny bit of story for anyone in the game except Pat and pyrrha. And Pat is a retard. I hate him.

Anyway, I suggest we all list our geographical locations, console and gamer tag/PSN in here for online play.

I'm in Norway (which is in Europe) and on PS3. mirage-ness is my username.

KentaRawr!
02-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Well, okeydoke. I'm in Ohio (nearest server is New York, a few states away). I'm on the PS3 and my name is NicoRawr.

Madame Adequate
02-14-2012, 07:21 PM
360 here, I'm afraid

Also I switched it up. Kawaii Uguu~ Kaori now uses Xiba's style, whilst my insane derphammer uses Edge Master. It's even better!

Mirage
02-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Well, okeydoke. I'm in Ohio (nearest server is New York, a few states away). I'm on the PS3 and my name is NicoRawr.

There aren't actually any servers like that. There's only a lobby server, then all games are peer to peer, hosted on one player's console.

And I hate today's console situation, where half of the world can't play with the other half because these fucking manufactureres refuse to let us play with people on the other console.

Depression Moon
02-20-2012, 09:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/PzUCz.png

Probably could've done better, but I still hadn't unlocked all the custom items yet.

Mirage
02-21-2012, 12:15 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks that Zwei's companion looks stupid and completely out of place.

Madame Adequate
02-21-2012, 12:33 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks that Zwei looks stupid and completely out of place.

ftfy

Mirage
02-21-2012, 03:52 AM
yeah, well, zwei himself looks nothing special. he's just a generic muscly guy.

black orb
02-22-2012, 04:29 PM
yeah, well, zwei himself looks nothing special. he's just a generic muscly guy.
>>> Looks like they wanted to tribute "Fist of the North Star" with this character..:luca:

I played the game a bit, is pretty good but it need more characters..

SuperMillionaire
03-01-2012, 09:14 PM
The Character Creation system is much more advanced as well... and I think all fighting games should have this feature.