PDA

View Full Version : Dollett Mission- Breaking the game?

Super Sepiroth
02-09-2012, 02:03 AM
I'm sure its not exactly a new discovery that you can power-grind your gfs without increasing your party's level here (by knocking out Squall and Zell and junctioning all your gfs to Seifer)

I was just wondering what peoples opinion was on this? Slightly exploiting the game mechanic, or all our cheating.

I've been having a tinker myself round that area, and have Squall and Zell's HP to over 1,000 and strength at 34 and 38, when you normally have it at just under 500 for HP and around the 15-17 mark for strength.

This is by having Quezacotl learn Mid Mag rf and drawing the shit out of the Galabadian Guards (thanks to ePSXe and speeding the game up) till I've refined 100 Cura and an attacking spell like firea/blizzara/thundara (doesn't make much of a difference which)

So yeah, Downright Cheating, or is exploiting what the game allows you to do ok?

SS

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 02:15 AM
all is fair in love, war, single player video games, and some other thing.

Super Sepiroth
02-09-2012, 02:20 AM
You're up late, Cactaur lol. Unless you're not in the UK, its almost 2:30 am here lol.

Have you ever used this... exploit? If thats the best word to describe it

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 02:23 AM
It's 8:20 where I live, but I wish I lived somewhere else.

No I have not, the game is already the easiest in the series (in my opinion) and I prefer to have a challenge in my games.

Super Sepiroth
02-09-2012, 02:28 AM
I have to agree with you there. Its not a massive challenge

Tigmafuzz
02-09-2012, 04:46 AM
I still think VII was an easier game than VIII, but I agree that it can sometimes feel like you're just going through the motions instead of actually getting sucked into the story because of how easy it is at certain parts.

Mirage
02-09-2012, 04:16 PM
There's nothing exploitative about this, it's simply early-game powerleveling. Activating the alarm in Junon in FF7 in order to fight disc 2 enemies within 10 hours of starting the game isn't cheating either, is it?

Jessweeee♪
02-09-2012, 05:39 PM
This game is so easy. I spent eight hours grinding in one area and then I just breezed through the game! Anyway, I don't think it's cheating. And even if it was, there's nothing wrong with cheating in FFVIII. Who's the victim in that scenario?

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
I didn't grind at all, and I one hit almost everything between the start of disk 2 and the end of disk 3.

Jessweeee♪
02-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Are you sure you didn't just a teensy bit to get Card and abilities to turn your items into magic? :p

Jiro
02-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I always grind on the Fasticholan-F's on the beach near Balamb Garden at the start until I have Card and probably Card Mod and then I continue on my merry way. I always max draw spells until I hit Timber, by that point I usually have a few refinement abilities and enough spells to make do until I can refine better magic.

Mirage
02-10-2012, 08:18 AM
I didn't grind at all, and I one hit almost everything between the start of disk 2 and the end of disk 3.

It's grinding even if it isn't done in battle.

Sephex
02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
I always grind on the Fasticholan-F's on the beach near Balamb Garden at the start until I have Card and probably Card Mod and then I continue on my merry way. I always max draw spells until I hit Timber, by that point I usually have a few refinement abilities and enough spells to make do until I can refine better magic.

This...for the most part. After Card Mod the game is FINISHED!!

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2012, 05:58 AM
You are all doing it wrong. Let me break down the proper way to level grind in this game.

As soon as you can get to the over world map then you are in one of the best spots in the game to power grind. I use Squall and Quistis to grind all the way to level 100. Then it is off to fight Ifrit and own him like the bitch that he is. I used my card mod abilities and play the shit out of Triple Triad so I can get even more wicked awesome spells before fighting Ifrit. He needs to know who the boss is!

After accomplishing this awesome task, I feel there is nothing left to accomplish in the game and proceed to not play it again until it is time to start a brand new journey. A journey to show Ifrit who the boss is!

Sephex
02-11-2012, 06:02 AM
You are all doing it wrong. Let me break down the proper way to level grind in this game.

As soon as you can get to the over world map then you are in one of the best spots in the game to power grind. I use Squall and Quistis to grind all the way to level 100. Then it is off to fight Ifrit and own him like the bitch that he is. I used my card mod abilities and play the shit out of Triple Triad so I can get even more wicked awesome spells before fighting Ifrit. He needs to know who the boss is!

After accomplishing this awesome task, I feel there is nothing left to accomplish in the game and proceed to not play it again until it is time to start a brand new journey. A journey to show Ifrit who the boss is!

I...I have seen this happen.

Jiro
02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Ifrit isn't that hard at the best of times. 10 minute time limit always bro.

Tigmafuzz
02-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Pfft. More like 6 minutes, 42 seconds.

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM
More like one hit!

Hollycat
02-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Pfft. More like 6 minutes, 42 seconds.
you get better rewards the closer to ten minutes it takes. if you beat him in 6 minutes, leave the game alone for 4 minutes on the spoils screen, and then press x

Tigmafuzz
02-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I usually let it linger for about two and a half minutes on the screen where you name him afterwards.

Mirage
02-11-2012, 07:29 PM
He's right, you know. The garden is really testing your ability to gauge your skills.

Jiro
02-12-2012, 02:34 AM
That's right, but my ego cares more about kicking ass than making grades.

Super Sepiroth
02-12-2012, 10:38 PM
Haha thats brilliant, I never thought about doing that, but then again I hate grinding.... Thats why I have super speed with my emulator :p

Bolivar
02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
The breakability of FFVIII is indisputably the most over-exaggerated misconception in Final Fantasy fandom. I once put the amount of time it takes to break FFVIII, including both battles and menus, into FFVI and an image of Kefka popped up on the screen and his head exploded, and I was taken to the end credits.

Word to everything I love, I'm not even playing with you right now...

Mirage
02-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Bolivar is right.

Hollycat
02-14-2012, 04:38 AM
how is it overexaggerated?
I literally have NEVER spent more than 20 hours on a playthrough. once you find your first blizzaga drawpoint the game is cake.

Mirage
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
No other FF is anything but cake either, that's the point.

Bolivar
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
I literally have NEVER spent more than 20 hours on a playthrough. once you find your first blizzaga drawpoint the game is cake.

You should have read the rest of my post.

I also call BS on your playthrough times.

Jessweeee♪
02-15-2012, 03:09 PM
FFVIII is the most fun to exploit, because other FFs are just "run around in a circle until you're Level 99" if you want that kind of power. Honorable mention to FFXII's gambit loops.

Hollycat
02-15-2012, 07:44 PM

You should have read the rest of my post.
dont count parts where people are talking.

I also call BS on your playthrough times.
dont count parts where people are talking, that alone will boost it to 25 or more.

Super Sepiroth
02-17-2012, 08:55 PM
First Blizzaga drawpoint? Dude, just doing what I said with Dollett, I got back to Balamb and noticed I was able to refine Curgaga from Tents and Blizzaga from the North Wind item dropped by Glacier Eyes.

I think having those 2 spells at this point seriously has broke the game, they just need to be junctioned to HP and strength. I think I could walk this playthrough now....