PDA

View Full Version : SPIDER MAN! SPIDER MAN!

Freya
02-09-2012, 06:12 AM
July 3rd. EEEEEEEEE

-tnxzJ0SSOw

I like how they are focusing on the nerdiness and the cockiness. That's what Peter/spiderman is about!

G13
02-09-2012, 08:23 AM
I am such a huge Spidey fan, so I'm pretty excited to see which way this story is headed, but the Lizard never really seemed like main protagonist material to me. More like a slight annoyance. We'll see how that works out. *shrug*

Slothy
02-09-2012, 12:51 PM
I am such a huge Spidey fan, so I'm pretty excited to see which way this story is headed, but the Lizard never really seemed like main protagonist material to me. More like a slight annoyance. We'll see how that works out. *shrug*

I'd seen talk for quite a while that there either is, or may be, two villains in the movie so the Lizard may only be part of the equation. Even still, I think if they manage to focus heavily on Peter's relationship with Dr. Connors it could work well.

I watched the trailer last night and I have to say that although I was skeptical of a reboot so soon after the last 3 movies, I was digging what I saw. Webshooters, a wise cracking Spider-Man, actually dodging bullets and the like with his crazy spider powers.

I may be starting to get excited.

Pike
02-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Okay, this trailer made me realize I would pay big bucks to see a Spider-Man vs. Godzilla film.

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 03:53 PM
spiderman wouldnt even have a chance against gojira

Pike
02-09-2012, 04:50 PM
How about with the Avengers?

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 05:05 PM
maybe, but only if we are talking about before thor and iron man leave.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-09-2012, 05:34 PM
What if Spider Man just had to take on Godzilla's son, Manilla?

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 05:38 PM
lizards eat bugs

NorthernChaosGod
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
Oh my. This actually looks like the Spider-Man I know and love. I'm glad they finally gave him actual webshooters too.

lizards eat bugs
Shut up.

Raistlin
02-09-2012, 11:03 PM
I was a huge Spider-Man fan growing up, and I still have a shitton of Amazing Spider-Man comics somewhere. I know I shouldn't get too excited after the last trilogy, but this trailer looks promising. The Lizard is a bit of a quirky first villain for Spider-Man, but I can see the underlying story to it (with Dr. Connors being a sympathetic character) making a solid movie, as Vivi22 pointed out. It would work well with a second villain who arrives late on the scene, so I hope those rumors of two villains are true.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-09-2012, 11:42 PM
I'm pretty stoked on this actually. I've always thought The Lizard had the potential to be Spiderman's Bane, but never really took off. Then again, Bane is really only now getting "mainstream" appreciation.

Bunny
02-10-2012, 02:59 AM
I did not realize that the cast of this film was so good.

Freya
02-10-2012, 05:21 AM
Isn't it? I am very hopeful of this movie. The cast is great and in that trailer, the last like scene on the building. That looks really freaking cool. I'm sure it'll have a lot of awesome scenes like that. EEEEE i'm excitedddd

sharkythesharkdogg
02-10-2012, 05:25 PM
I was a huge Spider-Man fan growing up, and I still have a titton of Amazing Spider-Man comics somewhere. I know I shouldn't get too excited after the last trilogy, but this trailer looks promising. The Lizard is a bit of a quirky first villain for Spider-Man, but I can see the underlying story to it (with Dr. Connors being a sympathetic character) making a solid movie, as Vivi22 pointed out. It would work well with a second villain who arrives late on the scene, so I hope those rumors of two villains are true.

As long as it's not Vermin or The Vulture. I don't think they'd translate to the screen very well.

It would be nice if they did Carnage the right way, but he might be too close to Venom for the casual viewer to get.

Slothy
02-10-2012, 05:59 PM
I'd rather they never touch Carnage to be honest. He's generally far too one dimensional and was a poor substitute for Venom who started out as a pretty decent villain and then was kind of ruined by trying to shoe horn him into an anti-hero role.

For what it's worth, I believe the talk was that the second villain might be the Proto-Goblin, though looking at the cast list on Wikipedia that seems less likely now as the actor thought to be cast as his alter-ego is playing a different character. Mind you, I suppose that doesn't make it impossible, but I'd rather not have a villain that's basically a half-assed goblin character. Better to leave them alone and just re-do the Green Goblin in a movie or two if you want to go that route.

Freya
02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm wondering if they are gonna kill qwen stacy or keep her around for a bit longer.

Slothy
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
I'm personally hoping they keep her around, in part because I like Emma Stone, but I'd also like them to stay somewhat true to the comics if they're going to kill her. Let them (re)introduce Osborn and Oscorp in this movie, make him the Green Goblin in the next one and have Gwen Stacy die. I think it'd have more of an impact if you build the relationship over two movies as well. Let people get attached then pull the rug out from under them when her neck snaps. It's a pretty defining moment in Spider-Man's life so they should either do it right or not even bother.

I'm not opposed to her dying in this one though if it's handled well.

Shiny
02-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Currently rocking a Spidey shirt right now. I'm really excited for this even though I would've preferred The Shocker over The Lizard, but really Carnage would've been the most interesting. They would've needed to bring back Eddie Brock/Venom again though.

Del Murder
02-10-2012, 09:31 PM
I still think it's weird that this is getting rebooted so soon, but I do dig the trailer.

Hollycat
02-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Im hoping for the lightning guy maybe. or perhaps the guy who can turn into water. but that guy would be better as a second bad guy in a sandman movie so they could meld together and become mudman.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
I'd rather they never touch Carnage to be honest. He's generally far too one dimensional and was a poor substitute for Venom who started out as a pretty decent villain and then was kind of ruined by trying to shoe horn him into an anti-hero role.

Even in the comics they used his one dimension to an advantage. He's over the top and crazy, but that's why he was not used by himself very often in a story arc. They used him and the symbiote to create things like Shriek becoming Scorn, and Cosmic Carnage. He's (obviously) a chaos factor.

He's not deep enough to be the single villain, but I still contend if they did it right he'd be good in a movie with multiple villains. You could have the more calm calculated villain juxtaposed against Cletus Cassidy, who's just plain lost it and wants the world to suffer like he did as a child. Most villains are relatable as "good people with twisted views" (ala Magneto). Carnage just hates and wants to see others in pain. That level of crazy can be very powerful if it's done right.

Plus, now even the casual movie goer knows Venom. Some of the ground work is laid.

Shrug.

NorthernChaosGod
02-11-2012, 02:01 AM
I would love to see Carnage on the big screen. I have always loved him for just how flat out crazy he is all the time. It could be brilliant if they used him alongside someone else like Sharky mentioned.

Raistlin
02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
He's not deep enough to be the single villain, but I still contend if they did it right he'd be good in a movie with multiple villains. You could have the more calm calculated villain juxtaposed against Cletus Cassidy, who's just plain lost it and wants the world to suffer like he did as a child. Most villains are relatable as "good people with twisted views" (ala Magneto). Carnage just hates and wants to see others in pain. That level of crazy can be very powerful if it's done right.

I agree, just look at the Joker from Dark Knight. Carnage could be utilized as a very good villain in a future movie(s) (I think it may take more than one to fully lay the groundwork for him and then have him be a major villain). But the problem is, he could also be done very badly, so I understand the Vivi22's hesitance.

Slothy
02-11-2012, 03:24 AM
I agree, just look at the Joker from Dark Knight.

The thing about the Joker is that although he is certainly unpredictable, batshit (no pun intended) insane, and will often kill people simply because he feels like it, he's also a pretty damn intelligent villain who usually has a plan going, even if said plan only makes sense to him. He's quite calculating and makes an excellent foil for Batman. Carnage doesn't really have even that in any depiction of him I've read. He just kills because he's crazy, and that's about it. There's not much more to him, and to be honest, he doesn't even play that well off of Spider-Man. There are just too many villains that have a much deeper and more meaningful connection to either Spider-Man or Peter Parker, and are more interesting for it and who are every bit as dangerous as Carnage.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Venom again in a future movie so long as they stay pretty true to the original story. Granted, they stayed pretty true to it in Spider-Man 3, but I don't think Venom was a good fit in that movie simply because Sam Raimi didn't want him there. But the idea of someone who not only has Spider-Man's powers, but is actually stronger than him, can beat his Spidey sense and is out to kill him, but rather than simply taking him head on stalks him for weeks instead is pretty interesting. A lot more interesting than Carnage without a doubt. And really, if you were going to do Carnage right, I think anything less than an R rating would be pulling punches.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-12-2012, 02:20 AM
I agree, just look at the Joker from Dark Knight.

The thing about the Joker is that although he is certainly unpredictable, battit (no pun intended) insane, and will often kill people simply because he feels like it, he's also a pretty damn intelligent villain who usually has a plan going, even if said plan only makes sense to him. He's quite calculating and makes an excellent foil for Batman. Carnage doesn't really have even that in any depiction of him I've read. He just kills because he's crazy, and that's about it. There's not much more to him, and to be honest, he doesn't even play that well off of Spider-Man. There are just too many villains that have a much deeper and more meaningful connection to either Spider-Man or Peter Parker, and are more interesting for it and who are every bit as dangerous as Carnage.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Venom. The idea of someone who not only has Spider-Man's powers, but is actually stronger than him, can beat his Spidey sense and is out to kill him, but rather than simply taking him head on stalks him for weeks instead is pretty interesting. A lot more interesting than Carnage without a doubt. And really, if you were going to do Carnage right, I think anything less than an R rating would be pulling punches.

I'm not trying to say the Joker isn't a stronger character, but it's because of the reasons you just gave. He has elements of his personality diametrically opposed to others. He's strong enough you don't need multiple villains.

That's why Carnage is strong as a supporting villain. Not every bad guy can be engaging on so many levels like The Joker. In fact it works better sometimes when they're not.

You mention Venom being stronger, and having the same powers as Spidey. You mentioned his ability to avoid the spider sense. Carnage is stronger than both of them, with other interesting abilities. His ability to control others thoughts with tendrils from his symbiote, for example. He is also able to avoid spider sense. It's opinion, but I feel there's more potential in the character than you give credit for. I won't argue that it would be easy to do Carnage wrong, but they made Joker look like the monster he was and kept it PG-13. I still like the idea of a crazy, murder happy, monster if done correctly.

I think we can all agree that the strongest story arc to pull from is the Rocket Racer/Big Wheel scenario. :roll2

EDIT: *walks in* *looks at conversation* NNNEEEERRDDDSSS!!!!

Slothy
02-12-2012, 04:07 AM
You mention Venom being stronger, and having the same powers as Spidey. You mentioned his ability to avoid the spider sense. Carnage is stronger than both of them, with other interesting abilities. His ability to control others thoughts with tendrils from his symbiote, for example. He is also able to avoid spider sense. It's opinion, but I feel there's more potential in the character than you give credit for.

Carnage certainly does have all of those things (though let's be honest, some of the powers they've made up for him over the years are just plain silly), but the important part of what makes Venom the better Spidey villain is Eddie Brocks connection to Spider-Man. He has a reason to hate him because he feels he destroyed his career, and he not only wanted him to pay, but he slowly stalked and terrorized him for weeks, if not months before making his move. There's also the symbiotes connection to him if you want to go down the road of the symbiote wanting to bond with Peter but hating him for rejecting it, but portraying that in a movie may get a bit tricky.

The closest connection Carnage has to Peter Parker is that Cletus Kasady shared a cell with Eddie Brock and accidentally bonded with the Venom symbiotes offspring. Honestly, I don't feel that there's more potential there than I'm giving him credit for. Certainly he has the potential to be a very large physical threat to Spider-Man, but there's not much to him beyond that, even if they chose to go with something more along the lines of the Ultimate comics version of Carnage who is vastly different. The way I see it though, Carnage doesn't bring anything to the table that Venom didn't already, and there's a lot more to work with in terms of making Venom an interesting solo villain. And considering you can't even do Carnage without tackling Venom first, I wouldn't want to see them do Carnage in a movie since they'd essentially be re-treading ground they already covered, but which is much less fertile than before.

Raistlin
02-12-2012, 04:45 AM
I don't think there's much room for debate that Venom is one of the best, arguably even the best, Spidey villain of all time. I don't think sharky is saying that Carnage would be better, just that he could be done well to make a very good supporting villain. I do agree that no Carnage story is complete without Venom, which is why I said it might take more than one movie. That fact alone is probably enough to keep Carnage from ever appearing on the big screen.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-12-2012, 08:47 PM
It might be too many spider style characters for one movie, but I've always enjoyed that story. The story arc of Venom and Spider-Man teaming up to stop Carnage because they couldn't alone.

You have valid points. You can't have Carnage without Venom, and perhaps for a movie, covering the same topic would come across as stale. I can't say, because they haven't done it. I do know this.

Every single Spider-man movie has had a conflicted villain with redeeming qualities. Green Goblin, Goblin Jr., Sandman, Venom, Doc Oc. They all "fell from grace". I think that's where Carnage as a supporting villain is interesting. He's a remorseless vicious monster, and we haven't seen that in a Spider-Man movie yet. Venom and Spider-Man putting aside their differences to stop a greater evil in the comics was powerful, and it highlighted Eddy Brock's internal battle with the symbiote. There was still good in the man.

In the end, I don't think it will happen. :| I just like the idea. Carnage done right, on the big screen, would make a big impact on fans that only know the Spiderman universe through movies.