PDA

View Full Version : Obsessions, Collections, Addictions, et al

Pike
02-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Guys, I have no less than five clocks in my bedroom, plus a pocketwatch on a chain at my desk and my own wristwatch which I never take off, and I had to stop myself from buying another clock today. IT WAS SO GORGEOUS THOUGH AND I HAD TO TEAR MYSELF AWAY FROM IT ;;

Does anyone else collect way too many of one type of item?

Shlup
02-10-2012, 02:48 AM
I'll collect pretty much anything I find pleasing to look at. I have kind of an unreasonable amount of containers in various shapes and colors.

fire_of_avalon
02-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Dust.

It had to be someone. Might as well be foa.

Bunny
02-10-2012, 03:04 AM
I collect ex-girlfriends.

I'm really good, guys.

Freya
02-10-2012, 05:20 AM
I hadn't realized it until my niece pointed it out on webcam but... mirrors. I have five of them in my room. Who needs five mirrors? Wth. 3 are decoration but still. I didn't even realize it. I also collect books it seems. I need another book case/shelf. I have two shelves and two bookcases now. That will be the one thing that will suck whenever I move. Carrying all those books.

Tigmafuzz
02-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Handguns, rifles, airsoft/pellet guns, swords and knives (practical and/or decorative), guitars and picks, computer parts, retro games, certain bottle caps, lighters, marbles, books, rocks (yes I collect ROCKS wannnafightaboutit?), comic books, dice, various tools, flash drives, pens, the tabs off of soda cans, golf/tennis balls, and scotch bottles.

Sarah collects Hot Wheels, records, business cards, Beanie Babies, "pickled punks" (not real ones, obviously), Adventure Time and Invader Zim paraphernalia, and has a stack of all the letters I sent her when she was living in CA http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

Pheesh
02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm obsessed with Carina Round, and I tend to collect a shit load of her merch, I have like 7 signed items from her, and a few t-shirts and other things. I've also kept every ticket from every concert I've been to ever.

blackmage_nuke
02-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Decks of cards and VHS tapes

Chris
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I too had a watch fetish not long ago, but the constant ticking became too much to handle. I quite literally threw my remote at one of the clocks. Although, terribly sad, as it happened to be an antique.

I no longer suffer from this kind of behaviour.

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2012, 12:27 PM
Handguns, rifles, airsoft/pellet guns, swords and knives (practical and/or decorative), guitars and picks, computer parts, retro games, certain bottle caps, lighters, marbles, books, rocks (yes I collect ROCKS wannnafightaboutit?), comic books, dice, various tools, flash drives, pens, the tabs off of soda cans, golf/tennis balls, and scotch bottles.

Sarah collects Hot Wheels, records, business cards, Beanie Babies, "pickled punks" (not real ones, obviously), Adventure Time and Invader Zim paraphernalia, and has a stack of all the letters I sent her when she was living in CA http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/heart.gif

When Fallout becomes reality, I'm staying with you. Weapons, caps, tech and entertainment.

Slothy
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Aside from the obvious one of video games, there's also comic books (I haven't counted in years but to say it's well into the thousands might be an understatement), snare drums (or drums in general), cymbals, and occasionally action figures and toys. Those are the big ones I think. I suppose there were heroclix figures when I was still playing a lot, and now Warhammer 40k models since I took that up, but I'm planning to sell a lot of the former, and really only have the latter because I enjoy the game, and am enjoying customizing and converting models thus far. It's not so much that I want to collect them just for the sake of it as it is they facilitate my enjoying other aspects of the hobby.

Pheesh
02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
snare drums (or drums in general), cymbals,

How many and what kinds? This interests me greatly.

Pike
02-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I quite literally threw my remote at one of the clocks. Although, terribly sad, as it happened to be an antique.

This is a tragedy :(

I find the ticking lovely and soothing <3 And I wear earplugs at night anyway, mostly so I don't wake up to the cat yowling outside my door, so the ticking doesn't effect my sleep.

Slothy
02-10-2012, 03:24 PM
How many and what kinds? This interests me greatly.

Anything that I like the sound of really. I don't buy anything unless I intend to play it. I'm at work so typing up a list of everything would be q bit time consuming, not to mention a lot more info than most people are probably interested in. I can PM you a list of everything later if you'd like.

The list of snares is a bit more manageable though:
10"x5" Yamaha Stage Custom snare
13"x6.5" Yamaha Musashi Oak
14"x3.5" Pearl Free Floating maple - one of the original ones in an orange finish with ugly hexagonal lugs.
14"x5.5" Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau in red sparkle finish.
14"x8" Yamaha Recording Custom - an older one in a bright red finish that I didn't know had ever been available until I bought it.

And my favourite is my 14"x7" Sonor SQ2 - heavy shell birch with inner and outer bubinga veneers and gold hardware. I ordered it shortly after Sonor started the SQ2 line and aside from being an absolute beast, it's also the best constructed drum I think I've ever seen and absolutely gorgeous to boot. Best $1,100 I ever spent.

Pheesh
02-10-2012, 03:42 PM
Thatt Sonor sounds awesome. I haven't played many Sonor's I've particularly liked the sound of, but I played a custom made bubinga shell Tama once and the sound was just godly. But yeah, probably not something anyone else is interested in, I'd like to know what cymbals you've got though, if you want to send me a list that'd be sweet!

Slothy
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Thatt Sonor sounds awesome. I haven't played many Sonor's I've particularly liked the sound of, but I played a custom made bubinga shell Tama once and the sound was just godly.

Believe me, it is:

Of course the others are no slouches either:

I'd actually love to have a Sonor kit someday. Ever since I heard a set of Maple S-Class drums maybe 10-12 years ago I've been pretty in love with Sonor. Something about that kit just made me stop and think that that was how a Maple kit should sound. Getting the SQ2 snare was nice, but someday if I can save the money I'll either get a full SQ2 kit, or try and track down some old Bubinga finish Signatures from the 80's. Those things are badass. Even better if I could get one of the HLD-590 bronze snares in 14'x8". The ones with the copper plated hardware.

Excuse me for a minute while I go drool and PM you the specs for everything else I own. :)

Pheesh
02-11-2012, 12:41 AM
D: That snare is so pretty! I only have the one African mahogany pearl masters snare, but I once got to play a custom made Brady snare that was a cross hatching of Jarrah and Karri wood. Not only was it the nicest sounding snare I've ever heard, but it looked to good to even hit. Also want to add a Keplinger Ayotte wood hoop snare at some point, as they're responsible for some of the best recorded snare sounds I've ever heard.

Slothy
02-11-2012, 01:40 AM
I've never had the chance to try a Brady in person unfortunately, though I could (and likely have) spend all day staring at pictures of them on the internet. Those woods they use are absolutely gorgeous. But a Mahogany Pearl is certainly a nice thing to have between your legs too. And I would love one of those Keplinger Ayotte's for that matter. Never heard one of them in person either, but the reputation certainly speaks for itself, and I have a serious lack of metal snares at the moment. Speaking of, if I can save the money sometime in the next few years, I'd love to get my hands on a Pearl Ultracast or possibly even a Dunnett. Ron makes some incredible stuff.

And with that I think we've officially hijacked this thread. :D

Jiro
02-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Hey don't mind us we'll just enjoy your drum chats.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-12-2012, 03:13 AM
I collect older style weaponry apparently. I didn't think about it until I saw this thread.

I have a long bow, a jahn bong, a set of dan bongs, a set of juhl bongs, a set of throwing knives, and a set of throwing axes. I'm way out of practice with them all though. :|

I also inadvertently wound up with a collection of video game systems. I have an NES, and SNES, a Gamecube, a few Gameboy Advances, a Sega Genesis 32x/Sega CD, a Dreamcast, a PS1, a PS2, a PS3, and two modded XBoxes. I barely touch any of them. :jess:

Pike
02-12-2012, 05:25 AM
I have an NES, and SNES, a Gamecube, a few Gameboy Advances, a Sega Genesis 32x/Sega CD, a Dreamcast, a PS1, a PS2, a PS3, and two modded XBoxes.

Can I come visit?

Shiny
02-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Wow, I didn't realize I've been collecting consoles. I just don't like throwing them away if they still work, but a few of these I don't use so it's a pointless waste of space.

I use to have two SNESes, a NES, Nintendo 64, a Sega Saturn, a PS1, PS2, PSP (technically my sister's but I play it more than she does) three XBOX 360s, an Xbox, a Wii, Gameboy Color, and Gameboy DS. Now I just have half as much, which is still a lot considering I still have three Xbox 360s—three Xboxes too many.

Tigmafuzz
02-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Oh shit. I didn't even think about consoles. It's not something I was actively collecting so it didn't occur to me. How the hell did I end up with all this?! :exdee:

Pike
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm so jealous of all you guys who have all those consoles. I was in a big family so the consoles were always the "family" consoles so now my little sisters have got them and ugh :( I miss those consoles.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
I have an NES, and SNES, a Gamecube, a few Gameboy Advances, a Sega Genesis 32x/Sega CD, a Dreamcast, a PS1, a PS2, a PS3, and two modded XBoxes.

Can I come visit?

Sure, bring MILF and the automatic Kalashnikov. We'll have root beer and Oreos! :kakapo:

Pike
02-13-2012, 02:45 AM

Can I come visit?

Sure, bring MILF and the automatic Kalashnikov. We'll have root beer and Oreos! :kakapo:

AWESOME :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
02-13-2012, 05:06 AM
I like how all of us nerds forget about consoles and shit.

I'll have to look for my stuff, but I still have a NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Dreamcast, PSX, PS2, Xbox, 360. My dad has a PS3 and my sister has a Wii though. Video games all up in this bitch.

Bubba
02-13-2012, 11:56 AM
I'm amazed at how my console collection is very similar to everyone else's list on here. I'd list all my games I've got for them as well but that will probably take me all day...

- NES
- 2 x SNES
- Gameboy Colour
- Gameboy Advance SP
- Nintendo 64
- PS1
- PS2 (broken)
- PS3
- DS
- Wii
- Portable NES handheld

My PS3 and my Wii definitely get the most playtime but I always have a SNES day every now and then as it's still my favourite console.

Slothy
02-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I just figured games went without saying on a video game related forum. My list of consoles:
-NES
-SNES
-N64
-Gamecube
-Game Boy
-GB Color
-GBA SP
-DS
-Wii (strangely enough. My sister gave me hers since her boyfriend also had one)
-PS2
-PS3
-PSP
-Dreamcast

And my PC of course. I also used to have a Genesis and PSX, but I gave the former to my sister because she actually had more games for it than I did, and emulation is easy. The PSX I gave to a friend because who needs it with both a PS2 and a PS3 now.

Miss Lady Shelly
06-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Comic books, dragon statues, hello kitty items, shot glasses, still have some NES, and Snes stuff, and this is my fav
some ive solved some i have taken apart and the others are just left for decoration lol.36204

Hollycat
06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Oh my... get ready for this
swords and assorted weapons- 46 est value: $12,000 (Thats where all my paychecks went)
pony toys - 60 est value: $135
fantasy books - 50 est value: $1000
manga- over 300 volumes and monthly magazines est cost: $600 est value: $1800
keychains- 52 (one from each state and DOC and bahamas) est value: $50
letter openers- 7 est value: $10
rare yugioh cards- a bunch est value: a bunch x 12
Zack Fair swag- 6 est cost: $300
pokemon- over 9000 est value: priceless.

Miriel
06-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I want to collect puppies but Del Murder won't let me. ;_;

Hollycat
06-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I want to collect puppies but Del Murder won't let me. ;_;

Tel him he either has to choose between puppies or watching a twilight movie every night forever.

Also tell him to stop being such a lazy bum.

escobert
06-26-2012, 11:05 PM
I can't ever stop buying fish. I NEED MOAR AND BIGGER TANKS MOAR TANKS NOA!

Tigmafuzz
06-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Comic books, dragon statues, hello kitty items, shot glasses, still have some NES, and Snes stuff, and this is my fav
some ive solved some i have taken apart and the others are just left for decoration lol.

Looks like my room before I moved and left all my stuff in a box in a storage unit :'(

Sephex
06-27-2012, 05:14 AM
Any Final Fantasy IV related things. I don't have much, but I have a couple of things that is pretty tough to find. Just video game stuff in general. I don't actively collect things, but if I see a window I go for it.

Miss Lady Shelly
06-27-2012, 06:17 AM
some ive solved some i have taken apart and the others are just left for decoration lol.

Looks like my room before I moved and left all my stuff in a box in a storage unit :'(

ahhh!!!!

Jiro
06-27-2012, 06:26 AM
I have this urge to mess up all those cubes just to make you do them again :P

Miss Lady Shelly
06-27-2012, 06:31 AM
I have this urge to mess up all those cubes just to make you do them again :P

lol NOOO!!! lol I have had people do that to me before. The Alexander star is so old that its nearly impossible to move the pieces without breaking them off. that's one that just sits there for decoration.

Tigmafuzz
06-27-2012, 06:58 AM
I used to have my nanodots set up perfectly until Sarah knocked down the shelf they were on by leaning on it which expressly I told her not to about twenty times.

I still make them from time to time, but I'm far too preoccupied with killing my own liver to focus more on anything artistic.

Shorty
06-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I collect different editions and printings of Alice in Wonderland and I seem to have a fixation on glass bottles of all shapes and sizes.