PDA

View Full Version : Vidya games that make your hands hurt

Pike
02-12-2012, 05:28 AM
I just finished playing Uniracers (yes, the oldschool SNES game) for a few hours and good word my hands are sore from gripping that controller until my knuckles were white.

What games do this to you, my fellow EoFFers?

Agent Proto
02-12-2012, 05:50 AM
The first Mario Party for N64. I remember playing that game and getting blisters on the palm of my hand. Mainly because they had that rotate the control stick as fast as you can in some of the mini-games, and the best way to do that was using your palms.

NorthernChaosGod
02-12-2012, 05:57 AM
The last game that made my hands hurt was Melee. I got stuck with a shitty controller that had a jagged analog stick and it dug into my thumb. :(

I never really got cramps or anything otherwise, I must not play that much. :p

Pheesh
02-12-2012, 06:00 AM
There used to be an old fishing game for PS2 that made you spin the analog stick around in circle as fast as possible, that sucked.

VeloZer0
02-12-2012, 06:09 AM
When I get back into Mega Man X games after not playing them for a while constantly holding down the charge button causes my hands to cramp up.

Sephex
02-12-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't play them too often, but fighting games generally hurt my hands quickly.

As VeloZer0 mentioned, any Mega Man game where you constantly hold to charge gets me.

But what really got me about a decade ago was Luigi's Mansion. Good game, but the controls required you to twist your hands like a contortionist.

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Rockstar games. They seem to think that using A/X to run and sprint is a good idea, because they're fucking morons.

Rostum
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
The first Mario Party for N64. I remember playing that game and getting blisters on the palm of my hand. Mainly because they had that rotate the control stick as fast as you can in some of the mini-games, and the best way to do that was using your palms.

Omg, this.

Slothy
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM

I once played this until the blister started to peel off. I then proceeded to rip the rest of it off, wait for the burning feeling to pass, throw a sock over my hand (no band-aid mind you, that would have required getting up) and continuing with the game. I wish my hand was the only casualty of that game but I lost two controllers to it too.

In retrospect, I really hate the original Mario Party.

Shattered Dreamer
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 once cost me the skin on both my thumbs from a marathon multiplayer session with my brother in law years okay & recently Heavy Rain gave me a bad cramp in my wrist!

Psychotic
02-12-2012, 01:47 PM
I used to mash up my wrist something fierce as an 11 year old when I first got my PS1 as I was used to the classic joystick or mouse to play games. These days anything like Tekken or Dynasty Warriors that requires me to mash the "face" buttons hard and fast. I've started mapping the keys on these sorts of games so I just use the shoulder buttons instead, and it really helps a lot.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 once cost me the skin on both my thumbs from a marathon multiplayer session with my brother in law years okay & recently Heavy Rain gave me a bad cramp in my wrist!THERE'S A PLACE WHERE EVERYONE CAN BE HAPPY

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? ONCE AGAIN THAT IS THE INCREDIBLE

It's in our nature to KILL KILL KILL

etc. :greenie:

Pike
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM

I once played this until the blister started to peel off. I then proceeded to rip the rest of it off, wait for the burning feeling to pass, throw a sock over my hand (no band-aid mind you, that would have required getting up) and continuing with the game. I wish my hand was the only casualty of that game but I lost two controllers to it too.

You are hardcore, sir, and I salute you.

Rocket Edge
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Button mashing at Tekken!

Slothy
02-12-2012, 03:33 PM
It seems hardcore until you consider I was forced to pick sock lint out of an open blister after the game was done. Then it just seems kind of stupid.

SwordFox
02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
The first one that comes to mind is my first time beating Final Fantasy IX. I was playing it on my PS2, (or at least using a PS2 controller), and I was getting so into it that when I beat the final boss and threw the controller down half of the black colouring and glittery stuff from the controller had come off and gone all over my hands.

Not sure if this is a common thing with PS2 controllers or not, but it's the only time it ever happened so I assume I was just getting really into it.

Agent Proto
02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I also want to add that playing any game on the DS that doesn't use the stylus for a long time will give my hands a cramp. >_<

VeloZer0
02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
It seems hardcore until you consider I was forced to pick sock lint out of an open blister after the game was done. Then it just seems kind of stupid.
Every time I imagine a Venn Diagram I see a huge overlap between the two.

Sephex
02-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Fun fact about the Mario Party one people keep mentioning. I remember that Nintendo Power asked people not to use their palm in that one mini game because of the damage it caused to the hand. Also, I looked on Wikipedia and saw this:

In Mario Party, certain minigames required players to rotate the controller's analog stick, including one in which the player is challenged to wind up Fly-Guy at the minigame house. Some players got blisters and other hand injuries from rotating the analog stick using the palms of their hands instead of using their thumb.[9] Some wore away the stick because it was not very durable. The analog stick rotation has no longer been used since Mario Party 2. The exceptions are the mini-game in Mario Party 5 in which the player only needs to rotate it once and the mini-game in Mario Party 3 in which players see how far they can throw Bowser and did not need to use the palm of their hand to move the analog stick.

Jiro
02-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Mario Party. Fucking Mario Party. My friends and I discovered a technique which makes the mashing of the A button easier but by no means less painful. The blisters on my knuckles were phenomenal.

GIRP really made my hands cramp the fuck up, that game was hard.

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
I use to hold the PS DUAL SHOCK Controller in a way that made the joints on my middle finger and ring finger hurt....so any PS game after a while. I eventually changed that though. I never had a problem with the regular PS controller though =P

For games that actually cause pain to my hands see none. WTF is wrong with all of you? I was a Mario Party wizard and never suffered any crap. I have a light touch to everything I do (curse you carbon paper!) so maybe I just never go in with the force necessary to get to a breaking point?

GhandiOwnsYou
02-13-2012, 12:03 AM
While waiting for a flight out of Kandahar last year, me and a good buddy were stuck in a tent for three weeks with nothing to do, right next to a USO. They had a PS3 and a copy of super street fighter 4, which we played so much that in three weeks i blistered my d-pad thumb, tore it open, and managed to heal it no less than three times. Then I just found a bottle of new skin and started creating fake callouses to soldier on.

So that. And every psp game ever.

VeloZer0
02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about portable consoles. No specific game in mind, but anything I play on the DS usually leads to cramped hands. It isn't so bad on turn based games, but anything action oriented on such small buttons is a recipe for trouble.

Pike
02-13-2012, 02:53 AM
http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lixisjSCG01qbrj6ao1_500.png

Shattered Dreamer
02-13-2012, 03:01 AM
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 once cost me the skin on both my thumbs from a marathon multiplayer session with my brother in law years okay & recently Heavy Rain gave me a bad cramp in my wrist!THERE'S A PLACE WHERE EVERYONE CAN BE HAPPY

HOW LOW CAN YOU GO? ONCE AGAIN THAT IS THE INCREDIBLE

It's in our nature to KILL KILL KILL

etc. :greenie:

Fond gaming memories surely, can't wait for Pro Skater HD because they ruined the series after Underground 2 & it will be great to play a skating game that doesn't involve the right analog stick for tricks!

I use to hold the PS DUAL SHOCK Controller in a way that made the joints on my middle finger and ring finger hurt....so any PS game after a while. I eventually changed that though. I never had a problem with the regular PS controller though =P

Repetitive strain injuries are the bane of anybody that has been gaming most of their life. Both my wrist joints click & my thumbs can get kinda stiff & a little "sore" after extended gaming sessions. I'm guessing we all have arthritis & carpal tunnel syndrome to look forward too in later life :lol:

DK
02-13-2012, 03:19 AM
The only games that mash my hands up are fighting games that use all the face buttons like Tekken, 'cause I hold the pad only with my left hand and right hand I have my index and middle finger on the face buttons and the rapid repeated use over a long period of time makes my wrist and the back of my hand ache like tit. Other than that I'm pretty much fine with anything I think. Some of the stuff that kills peoples hands makes no sense to me at all, whenever I've been playing DW7 with Paul and he complains about it killing his hands I can't even comprehend how you could hold a pad in a way that would hurt your hands while playing that game, or why you'd need to.

edit: forgot, used to blister my thumbs something rotten playing 2D fighters, Street Fighter, guilty gear etc etc. It's pretty much just fighting games that kill my hands in some way or another.

Bubba
02-13-2012, 12:26 PM
Button mashing at Tekken!

Definitely this.

I was never much good at fighting games but I loved Tekken.

Mirage
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Any fighting game the first week after I've been on a long break. By long, I mean several months long.

Jessweeee♪
02-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Tekken 3, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, and Assassin's Creed when climbing all over shit and holding right trigger and A together for long stretches of time.

Old Manus
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
The goddamn torture sesh in MGS1.

Sephex
02-13-2012, 05:58 PM

But it simulates torture perfectly! The pain in your hand (or arm if you tense up enough) is supposed to make you feel roughed up like Solid Snake is! IMMERSION!

Also, nanomachines.

Bolivar
02-13-2012, 09:52 PM
I got the technique down for MGS1 so I can do it on the first try no problem :cool: (if you can't tell, that makes me cool)

The only games I can really remember giving me problems are shooters this generation. It started with Metal Gear Online with MGS4. It's pretty much my index and middle finger on my right hand, because that's the trigger pulling area. It started getting real bad with MW2, but the worst was probably going for the Platinum Trophy in Killzone 2, where the hardest one is to place in the top 1% of worldwide players for a week. I think I attempted it 3 times. I'm sure it was brutal.

So it happens every now and then and I get really worried about how my joints are going to be when I'm older.

krissy
02-14-2012, 06:01 AM
Devil May Cry 3 made my hands hurt more than any game I've ever played.

Also Marvel VS Capcom 2 but that's not really fair because it is a fighting game.

Old Manus
02-14-2012, 09:28 AM

But it simulates torture perfectly! The pain in your hand (or arm if you tense up enough) is supposed to make you feel roughed up like Solid Snake is! IMMERSION!http://hixby.com/x/his_mind%20blown.gif

|-THE redmage-|
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Playing Guitar Hero games using the controller (not the guitar, though it sometimes gets that way, too), and my hands started bleeding once when i was playing Super Smash Bros (the original one for the N64).

KentaRawr!
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM

But it simulates torture perfectly! The pain in your hand (or arm if you tense up enough) is supposed to make you feel roughed up like Solid Snake is! IMMERSION!http://hixby.com/x/his_mind%20blown.gif

Every torture segment in every MGS game is easy. :cool:

Donkey Kong Jungle Beat made my hands hurt. This isn't the music game, by the way. It's the awesome platformer from the development team that made Super Mario Galaxy which involved clapping your hands to collect bananas and slapping bongos to move and jump. The gameplay makes me want to play for hours, despite the pain of trying to clap my hands hard enough to collect the bananas. And then repeating levels to get banana combos... and then repeating the levels again to unlock more levels to oh god my hands

Jiro
02-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Yeah I had no trouble with the torture segment in MGS1. My buddy who is a massive MGS fan was like "o_o wow you're good at that" and I was like "no sweat brah, I'm a pro GF booster" and he gave me a weird look because that made no fucking sense (or it made creepy sense)

sharkythesharkdogg
02-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Did no one play side scrolling shooters like R-type, Gradius, or Raiden? The last ones to do it to me was either Contra: Shattered Soldier (so freaking hard) or Castle Shikigami.

Of course fighting games, and side scrolling platformers like DKC ruined my digits. :|

Sephex
02-16-2012, 05:56 PM
I don't have trouble with the Metal Gear Solid torture segments either, but they do make my arm hurt. It's the same deal with any game that makes you button mash. Even with something simple like the "TEST YOUR MIGHT!" segments in the original Mortal Kombat. The problem there lies with me, though. I just tense up my arm too much.

Pete for President
02-17-2012, 06:02 AM
I remember Wu Tang Shaolin Temple for ps1. Blisters like crazy!

Del Murder
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that game is notorious for hand injuries. Nintendo even released a special glove you are supposed to wear as you play those games.

black orb
02-19-2012, 12:25 AM
>>> Any game where you have to swing the wiimote..:luca:

Shiny
02-21-2012, 02:30 AM
Yes yes and yes to Mario Party for N64. Also a few of the Mortal Kombat games tend to do that to my palms and/or fingers.