PDA

View Full Version : Sleep is for the weak

Pike
02-13-2012, 09:27 PM
What's the longest stretch of time you've ever been awake?

I'm a wuss so probably only about 20 or 21 hours for me. It was when I went to go see some midnight release movie after being up all day for work. Lord of the Rings or the Matrix or Star Wars or something, I don't remember.

NorthernChaosGod
02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I think I managed a cool 40 hours before when I was in my early teens. I think I would die if I tried that again though.

Bunny
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
72 hours at the height of Diablo II's popularity.

Sephex
02-13-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe around thirty one time? I still get awfully close to 24 hours (or a bit beyond) almost every weekend.

5 Hour Energy plus alcohol equals AAAAQJUWHDSNFKJ:Bjdhffffffffffffff

theundeadhero
02-13-2012, 10:37 PM
About the same as Bunny. When you start thinking rocks are elephants and see little people running around you've been awake far too long. It was because of work.

Crop
02-14-2012, 12:02 AM
50 hours. No stimulants either, I find they just make me feel worse about an hour after taking them.
I did it during the 4th Annual Sleep Durability test me and my friend used to do when we were teenagers, see who could stay awake the longest. He got 48 hours.

Freya
02-14-2012, 12:27 AM
70 something when I flew to europe. I couldn't sleep on the plane. I trieeeed. But all in all I was up for around 60-70 hours.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
02-14-2012, 02:25 AM
87 hours. First three and half days of Boot Camp.

DK
02-14-2012, 02:35 AM
50 hours, over one of the messiest new years weekends of my life so far. No way I could do that now though, these days going without sleep damn near kills me.

Jiro
02-14-2012, 02:42 AM
Forty hours. Came close to it a few more times as well but it's harder to stay awake when I'm drunk.

Hollycat
02-14-2012, 03:45 AM
I had a major sleeping problem when I was around 10, there was more than once that I went a week without sleeping. that was some of the most miserable times of my life

Pike
02-14-2012, 04:56 AM
70 something when I flew to europe. I couldn't sleep on the plane. I trieeeed. But all in all I was up for around 60-70 hours.

I have this terrible feeling that's going to be me when I go visit Hux in a few months

Jiro
02-14-2012, 05:48 AM
Are you suggesting there is something wrong with spending 70 straight hours in the company of sir Huxley?

I... I don't know if I can permit you to see him any more.

Peegee
02-14-2012, 05:57 AM
72-80 hours. it was spring break and all i did was play tower defense and dota on wc3.

i started to halluncinate and heard coherent conversations coming from outside.

there were no people outside.

so scared stupid, i ran away and slept.

Jiro
02-14-2012, 07:16 AM
Were there people outside on the talkies?

NorthernChaosGod
02-14-2012, 08:42 AM
I don't know how you freaks manage more than 50 without some severe insomnia. :confused:

Iceglow
02-14-2012, 10:57 AM
I've been awake for near enough as makes no difference a week and a half, before getting 1h 5mins sleep and then going out partying for another 2 days. This was because of a job I was doing, I then went out partying for 2 - 3 days for my birthday with no sleep. I would have gotten at least 8 hours prior to my birthday but Jack was being all girly about the idea that his plans had fallen through and he was in London so we went out drinking and then clubbing then ended up at a youth hostel hotel type place where we crashed for about an hour or so before going out to meet Paul and go drinking again. Paul and me were having too much fun that night with the Narnia experience to actually get any sleep.

I sleep better now, my insomnia is being curbed quite considerably by the work outs down the gym and massive dietary changes I've gone through this year (it's the only logical explanation) I reckon I could do 2 - 3 days straight still though if I absolutely had no choice. Though I've learnt now how to nap whenever I am given opportunity to do so. This means I can nap for 15 mins and wake up feeling great.

fire_of_avalon
02-14-2012, 12:19 PM
With 0 sleep at all probably 48 - 50 hours of staying up continuously due to all night cram sessions for classes I never attended. With very little sleep, two or so weeks averaging about two hours a night. I don't know why.

Pike
02-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Are you suggesting there is something wrong with spending 70 straight hours in the company of sir Huxley?

I... I don't know if I can permit you to see him any more.

I was about to respond to this with some sort of joke about how he does more than just keep me up all night but it's actually a pretty terrible joke, so...

Bubba
02-14-2012, 02:23 PM
About 45 hours.

From what I can recall it was St Patrick's Day on the Saturday then a friend's Christening on the Sunday. About 8am on Saturday morning until 5am on Monday morning.

I don't remember much of the Christening. Was there a baby present? Who knows?

Shattered Dreamer
02-14-2012, 02:42 PM
I once didn't sleep for about 4 days straight due to basically just a lot of partying with friends. Became very ill due to lack of sleep as a result :/

Psychotic
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
I've been awake for near enough as makes no difference a week and a half, before getting 1h 5mins sleep and then going out partying for another 2 days. The world record for time without sleep is 11 days.

We need to put you and Hypo Cactuar in a Thunderdome to decide who EoFF's biggest fibber is.

Hollycat
02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
I've been awake for near enough as makes no difference a week and a half, before getting 1h 5mins sleep and then going out partying for another 2 days. The world record for time without sleep is 11 days.

We need to put you and Hypo Cactuar in a Thunderdome to decide who EoFF's biggest fibber is.

Mine was the truth though...

Psychotic
02-14-2012, 07:17 PM
That's the spirit! With an attitude like that, you're my odds-on favourite!

Also I forgot to post on topic. Somewhere between 24-30 hours. It was in 2006 when I flew to America. I don't really remember it much.

Raistlin
02-14-2012, 07:46 PM
Over 48 hours when I was around 12 years old, mostly just because I felt like it. I have no idea how I managed it then, as I could not repeat such an accomplishment now. I've pulled two all-nighters in recent years due to law school, and the next day I was barely functioning. One of those times I even got on EoFF for a bit and went on some fabulous EoEO rants.

So in my adult life, the longest I've gone without sleep is roughly 30 hours.

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2012, 08:43 PM
Your brain will typically knock you out after roughly 80 hours without sleep. I haven't read the thread yet, but I imagine Iceglow will say he has stayed awake for 9 years or something.

EDIT: Hah! Called it! I should've guessed HC would too, though. Cheeky blighters.

Hollycat
02-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Your brain will typically knock you out after roughly 80 hours without sleep. I haven't read the thread yet, but I imagine Iceglow will say he has stayed awake for 9 years or something.

EDIT: Hah! Called it! I should've guessed HC would too, though. Cheeky blighters.

You seem to underestimate the typically part of your statement. Everyone is different, I used to be an insomniac, I've heard of people not sleeping over a period of 2 weeks, and yes you are right, usually the body shuts down after around 82 hours maximum. It really depends on the state of the persons mind.

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
If by "state of mind" you mean brain defect, then yes, some people can go without sleep for longer. One guy hasn't slept a wink for more than 30 years, but he's special and you're not. After a few days, usually about when the hallucinations kick in, you'll pass out for a half hour or more, then you'll wake up and go another few days without sleep. Claiming to be exempt from those rules just makes you an arrogant fool, though it's understandable because after three days, you're pretty fucked up so nobody expects you to track the time by the minute. If you did ever suffer from insomnia, you'd know that time becomes meaningless and you're essentially stuck in a state of "things happen sometimes"-ia.

Sephex
02-14-2012, 09:30 PM
If how I hallucinate on sleeping meds is how hallucinating on lack of sleep is, count me out. It's entertaining for me most of the time, but I wouldn't want to experience what I do because I have the inability to fall asleep.

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Acid is cheaper anyway.

Iceglow
02-14-2012, 09:44 PM

5 days with 2 hours sleep between them working on descriptions.
3 days with 0 hours sleep on the back of the above developing and managing a massive PvP action in the game I was working as a developer on which changed the entire balance of the server. I couldn't afford to sleep as I was co-ordinating across 12 timezones with over 50 people. I was also working on descriptions to keep myself entertained.
Was literally about to go sleep on day 8 when I got called by jack, went out.
Day 9 slept for exactly 1:05 between falling asleep and getting a text message what woke me up.
You know the rest of that story because you were there.
Day 11, finally got home and slept 5 hours before continuing with the game development and hooking up for Drinks with Ewa whom I had met on Day 8 and we all know how that ended.

I did say "I've been awake for near enough as makes no difference 1.5 weeks" I did not say I had no sleep at all in there. However it's not like I count 3 hours and 5 minutes across 10 days as much in the way of sleep considering that would average just 2 REM sleep cycles. A nights sleep is usually 6 of those. Why do you reckon I was drinking so many vodka redbulls when you were there? Shit Paul, you know me...I aint going to fib about something like that.

Also; the world record for going without sleep is something of a stunt and a lie in itself. The world record must be set with a witness verifying it for the record books. Or in the case of this record, a team of adjudants. Without verification there is no official record to be held as anyone could claim something. In actual practice outside of "stunt" conditions someone with severe insomnia could in fact have been awake far longer however there would be health conditions to consider. I have had severe insomnia and know for a fact that my mind will start to hallucinate after the 6 or 7th day if absolutely no sleep whatsoever has been obtained.

DK
02-14-2012, 10:12 PM
5 days with 2 hours sleep between them working on descriptions.
3 days with 0 hours sleep on the back of the above developing and managing a massive PvP action in the game I was working as a developer on which changed the entire balance of the server. I couldn't afford to sleep as I was co-ordinating across 12 timezones with over 50 people. I was also working on descriptions to keep myself entertained.
Was literally about to go sleep on day 8 when I got called by jack, went out.
Day 9 slept for exactly 1:05 between falling asleep and getting a text message what woke me up.
You know the rest of that story because you were there.
Day 11, finally got home and slept 5 hours before continuing with the game development and hooking up for Drinks with Ewa whom I had met on Day 8 and we all know how that ended.

I did say "I've been awake for near enough as makes no difference 1.5 weeks" I did not say I had no sleep at all in there. However it's not like I count 3 hours and 5 minutes across 10 days as much in the way of sleep considering that would average just 2 REM sleep cycles. A nights sleep is usually 6 of those. Why do you reckon I was drinking so many vodka redbulls when you were there? tit Paul, you know me...I aint going to fib about something like that.

Also; the world record for going without sleep is something of a stunt and a lie in itself. The world record must be set with a witness verifying it for the record books. Or in the case of this record, a team of adjudants. Without verification there is no official record to be held as anyone could claim something. In actual practice outside of "stunt" conditions someone with severe insomnia could in fact have been awake far longer however there would be health conditions to consider. I have had severe insomnia and know for a fact that my mind will start to hallucinate after the 6 or 7th day if absolutely no sleep whatsoever has been obtained.

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/image_uploads/Liar-Liar-jim-carrey-1014545_576_384.jpg

Bunny
02-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Also; the world record for going without sleep is something of a stunt and a lie in itself. The world record must be set with a witness verifying it for the record books. Or in the case of this record, a team of adjudants. Without verification there is no official record to be held as anyone could claim something. In actual practice outside of "stunt" conditions someone with severe insomnia could in fact have been awake far longer however there would be health conditions to consider.

You talk out of your ass a lot.

(Gotcha covered: Your mom talks out my ass a lot, too)

Quindiana Jones
02-14-2012, 11:39 PM
:shifty:

Jiro
02-15-2012, 12:24 AM
We're all sleep depraved nerds. Ok.

Laddy
02-15-2012, 03:59 AM
About 3 days. I dunno why.

Tigmafuzz
02-15-2012, 04:03 AM
sleep depraved
What. :wacky: :penciltrick:

Jiro
02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
fucking deprived, goddammit I always get that one wrong. Depraved works too though.

Shlup
02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't think I've gone over 34 hours. You now how it is--your sleep schedule gets messed up and you think "I'll just skip sleeping and then around 8:00pm the next day I'll be ready for bed. And then I'll get up bright and early and refreshed the next morning and watch the sunrise and that's how it'll be forever."

I've done it a few times. I also played the first 27 hours of Final Fantasy VIII with only potty breaks; Ashley brought me food. This past Christmas season I worked 24 hours straight a couple of times, and slept four or five hours most nights for almost a month. It was fun.

Usually, though, I like my sleep. Especially the last week or so... I've been sleeping ten hours a night lately. Blah.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-15-2012, 06:58 PM
87 hours. First three and half days of Boot Camp.

Sounds about right.

I've done it a few times, but 3 to 3 and a half days is the most I could ever muster.

Slothy
02-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Most I can recall was a bit over 23 hours or so during my high school safe grad.

What's impressive with me isn't so much how long I've ever stayed up before, but how little sleep I need to function. A few years ago when I finished exams in early December, I started hanging out with friends immediately after and not going home/sleeping until 4 am or a little after. I was doing it everyday, regardless of whether I even did anything with friends. I'd even stay up until 4 if I got home far earlier. Most University students compensate for doing stuff like that by sleeping in until lunch. I was up at 8am every morning, with no alarm to make it more unbelievable. I'd just open my eyes at 8 and decide it was a good time to get up.

So 20 hours without sleep, everyday for a month before school started up again and I felt fine and functioned normally. Not sure I could quite manage that anymore, but I still get by on less sleep than most people fairly often and function just fine.

Jiro
02-15-2012, 08:27 PM
That's impressive Vivi22, but I can believe it. I had a similar thing going for about a month before my body decided nope you've had your fun.

Hollycat
02-15-2012, 09:03 PM
I believe it for the same reason as Jiro, but my run didn't last a month, more like five days.
I can do with as little as 2 hours of sleep if I have to, but I wont like it.

chionos
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
I've recently hit a brick wall as regards a need for sleep, but I still function regularly on less than 7 hours of sleep. I can feel it catching up with me, though. My longest run without medication is 3-4 days, which I've done a few times for work. I drove once for 56 straight hours (and was awake beyond that for almost 70 hours total), stopping only for gas (and food to eat in the car). I don't remember the stretch from St. Louis through Louisville. My brain just didn't function during that time. I don't know how I didn't wreck. My longest run with medication is about 120 hours. During the stretch I drank only water and ate nothing but stackers (before they nerfed them). By the end I was functioning fully outside of my body and I literally could not stop moving. I don't so much attribute my ability to a power over sleep as much as an ability to function as a zombie.

Shiny
02-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Were there people outside on the talkies?
I love you for this.

Um...probably 72 hours during the summer. I went bowling in NY and then went back home to edit something. Lost track of time.