PDA

View Full Version : Sector 5

Jiro
02-14-2012, 06:17 AM
I know the Turks are good, but how in the fuck did President Shinra get to the No. 5 reactor in time? I mean c'mon, who let the intel slip? It was Wedge, wasn't it?

Seriously though - how did Shinra know that Avalanche was attacking that particular reactor?

VeloZer0
02-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Anyone listening in on them at the bar? I'm presuming that the information came to them by way of Don Corneo. Who probably has quite the slums intelligence network.

Bolivar
02-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Maybe it had to do with the new security checks that happened on the train there, they were trying to figure out where the next attack would be and they were able to somehow locate the nearest reactor to where AVALANCHE was... not sure how that works... but they knew something was going on.

I'm guessing you started a new playthrough?

Bubba
02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah, like Bolivar says, the train alarm probably alerted them to Avalanche's presence.

That's another question... was the train going full speed when they jumped off? If so, how were none of them seriously injured?

Flying Arrow
02-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Or, the day after one of their installations got bombed, Shina upped the security at every major potential target. That and the train alarm, I guess. Avalanche's plan is really pretty ambitious considering Barret has the terrorist-sense of a punk with a new can of spray paint. It's like he figured if he attacks the reactors in an unpredictable order the mega-corporation with thousands of trained soldiers, assassins, and killer robots will never be able to uncover his genius.

"Now that Sector 5 is down - tomorrow we'll do Sector 2! They'll never see it coming!!"

VeloZer0
02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm much more concerned with how Cloud survived falling from the reactor to Sector 5 than how he survived jumping off of a train. The clear explanation is that they are all super bad ass.

Sephex
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
I'm much more concerned with how Cloud survived falling from the reactor to Sector 5 than how he survived jumping off of a train. The clear explanation is that they are all super bad ass.

If the physics in Advent Children are to be taken seriously, then those actions would like be like banging your shin on a coffee table in our world. See? Advent Children DOES explain something!

VeloZer0
02-14-2012, 07:58 PM
I you look at a lot of the jumps that Cloud, and by extension the party, perform routinely in the field map you see a lot of super human jumping ability. Not to mention what happens in combat.

Jiro
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
The physics of the game is questionable for sure. A fall like that would have destroyed every bone in a normal person's body. Even Jenova cells can't make you that fucking invincible. So it's just the world in general. But regardless, having the President make it to that reactor that quickly was impressive.

VeloZer0
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
A fall like that would have destroyed every bone in a normal person's body.
Swinging a sword like that would destroy every bone in a normal person's body. It think it is fairly well documented that all the party members are superhuman.

Sephex
02-14-2012, 09:37 PM
The physics of the game is questionable for sure. A fall like that would have destroyed every bone in a normal person's body. Even Jenova cells can't make you that fucking invincible. So it's just the world in general. But regardless, having the President make it to that reactor that quickly was impressive.

B-but the Jenova cells are like the force! It doesn't have to be explained! :(

Jiro
02-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Swinging a sword like that would destroy every bone in a normal person's body. It think it is fairly well documented that all the party members are superhuman.
That's a good point.

Mercen-X
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM
was the train going full speed when they jumped off? If so, how were none of them seriously injured?

I feel like the train in Midgar was more akin to the trolly in San Fran.

Loony BoB
02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
In a shocking development, with at least a dozen commotions involving the death of soldiers and their war-beasts, not to mention the destruction of at least one gigantic warmachine that, you know, scans it's enemies before lasering them, it is perhaps the fault of Cloud, Barret and Tifa's not-so-subtle entrance to and journey through the reactor that gave them away.

Jiro
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
From a gameplay perspective, I fought all of about 5 battles before I hit up Airbuster. That would still not really be enough time for that chopper to pick up ol' Pres and drop him off at the reactor all sneaky like

Flying Arrow
02-16-2012, 05:37 PM
From a gameplay perspective, I fought all of about 5 battles before I hit up Airbuster. That would still not really be enough time for that chopper to pick up ol' Pres and drop him off at the reactor all sneaky like

Reading this post made me re-read the initial post and now I realize I completely mis-read it and my own post in this thread is stupid and pointless. I'm not going to bother editing it so that future posters can see how stupid I am.

To actually answer the thread: plot convenience. Or maybe they just flew him over from the top of Shinra tower right to Sector 5 after the whole train alarm thing. President's office in eyeshot of all the reactors anyway (going by that FMV with the plate falling and the president watching from his office).

Jiro
02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
It's still pretty quick, but I did forget about the time it would've taken the party to walk through the train tunnels and whatnot. I suppose the alarm sounding would've alerted Shinra as Bolivar said, and then they just guessed they would be there. Damn Jessie, you really boned them on that one.

CONGRATULATIONS! You found the hidden immunity idol! :ciddie: (just kidding, that's a Ciddie, you think I'd let the real one be searchable for the text 'hidden immunity idol'?)

Sephex
02-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I still say Cloud fell because he remembered how lame Barret's KING VERMIN comeback was towards the the President.

Jiro
02-16-2012, 05:58 PM
That or he was definitely trying to impress Tifa. That's what I would do.

VeloZer0
02-16-2012, 07:00 PM
I always take every dungeon you do in an RPG as somewhat of an approximation scaled down version, much like the world map. So although you can run through a reactor in 5 minutes I imagine that in 'reality' it was probably more like an hour.

Sephex
02-16-2012, 07:29 PM
I always take every dungeon you do in an RPG as somewhat of an approximation scaled down version, much like the world map. So although you can run through a reactor in 5 minutes I imagine that in 'reality' it was probably more like an hour.

I do that as well. Kind of like how in EVERY first person shooter type game (be it traditional gameplay or RPG elements) they have your character move very fast. A famous example is Doom Guy from, well, Doom. Even in FPS games where you feel like you are moving slow, you are still generally moving at a speed that would be impossible point blank or impossible to maintain.

Jiro
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
I thought the reactor looked pretty damn big though.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 03:03 AM
PS where the hell is Cloud's payment for this mission. Barret clearly promised 2000 gil, and the reactor clearly blew up. So why's he holdin' out?

VeloZer0
02-17-2012, 05:32 AM
I always wonder about that.

Bubba
02-17-2012, 10:04 AM
To be fair, the next time that Cloud meets Barret after falling into the church is the collapse of the plate that kills Biggs, Wedge and Jessie.

Cloud: "Hey big guy, I know three of your best pals have just been horribly crushed to death by that plate... but I don't suppose you have that 2 grand you owe me?"

I reckon Cloud just let that slide... Also, I reckon this was the point that Cloud stopped being a mercenary and joined the fight against Shinra

Flying Arrow
02-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I think even the most unfeeling-badass loving fans would have batted an eye had Cloud demanded payment after the Sector 7 thing.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
Until they suddenly realise that Cloud has been paying for everything since the damn beginning and Barret is holding out on him. No wonder he had to take up being a damn delivery boy afterwards, he went bankrupt from saving the world. I bet he funded the building of Edge too the selfless bastard.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
Until they suddenly realise that Cloud has been paying for everything since the damn beginning and Barret is holding out on him. No wonder he had to take up being a damn delivery boy afterwards, he went bankrupt from saving the world. I bet he funded the building of Edge too the selfless bastard.

I bet he could, especially with the amount of gil the average FFVII player has at the end of the game. This is especially true if the canon version of the story is what a player does to get a perfect file.

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
If you talk to Jessie in the reactor she says it's her fault for making the ID personal. I dont know what happens if you tell her not to make the ID

Jiro
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
She does it anyway, she was trying to pick Cloud up.

Skyblade
02-17-2012, 07:25 PM

I bet he could, especially with the amount of gil the average FFVII player has at the end of the game. This is especially true if the canon version of the story is what a player does to get a perfect file.

"Here's a mastered All materia, now go buy yourself a house already. Lazy beggars."

VeloZer0
02-17-2012, 09:01 PM
If 300,000 gil buys you a beach villa I am thinking that a mastered All materia gets you a whole subdivision.

This is especially true if the canon version of the story is what a player does to get a perfect file.
I don't think that the cannon version is neglecting the imminent threat of world destruction and instead focusing on a chocobo breeding/racing career. :D

Jiro
02-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Nonsense, it's a key factor in receiving the ULTIMATE SUMMON KOTOR to save the world.

Sephex
02-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Nonsense, it's a key factor in receiving the ULTIMATE SUMMON KOTOR to save the world.

Every time Sneak Attack + KOTR activated at the beginning of the final battle, I laugh. Sephiroth is dead if that happens.

Jiro
02-18-2012, 07:31 AM
Oh yeah it's KOTR. Fucking star wars on the brain I guess :jess:

Sephex
02-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I was going to call you out on it, but I knew what you meant.

Seriously, though, I feel bad for Sephiroth when that happens. I still laugh. But...I remember hyping up the battle for someone, that **** happened, and he was all like, "Why is that tough?"

This was years ago (right when it came out) before it became apparent that FFVII is a game easily bendable to whatever the hell you want to do.

VeloZer0
02-18-2012, 08:23 AM
From our perspective we are breeding chocobos to acquire the ultimate summon. From the party's perspective they just happened to be investing a whole bunch of time and effort into breeding advanced strains of chocobo and then randomly running around all over the world looking for possible undiscovered materia caves.

And the thing is they were kind of working on a deadline...

Tigmafuzz
02-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Otacon: "Snake, press the Select button to ca-"
Snake: "The what?"

Mercen-X
02-22-2012, 01:18 AM
ROTFryingnainlutchingytomachsILMFAO&roolikeatrokeictim!!!

DMKA
02-22-2012, 04:38 AM
He used his Sense materia.

Jinx
03-07-2012, 12:49 AM
PS where the hell is Cloud's payment for this mission. Barret clearly promised 2000 gil, and the reactor clearly blew up. So why's he holdin' out?

'Cos that *$%(#@*#$ money's for Marlene's schoolin'!

Bubba
03-07-2012, 09:14 AM

'Cos that *$%(#@*#$ money's for Marlene's schoolin'!

Where do kids go to school in Final Fantasy VII?

Sephex
03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
In bars with big breasted women. This is why no one in the FFVII universes knows anything.

Jinx
03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
The grammar is atrocious.

"This guy are sick."

Sum1sGruj
03-08-2012, 12:11 PM
I know the Turks are good, but how in the smurf did President Shinra get to the No. 5 reactor in time? I mean c'mon, who let the intel slip? It was Wedge, wasn't it?

Seriously though - how did Shinra know that Avalanche was attacking that particular reactor?

Though the plot doe snot reveal it in the slightest, I would take my own little guess and commit to the notion that since the Turks are Shinra spies, they did their homework.
After all, one will notice that the Turks are always one step ahead through out the first half of the game.

Flying Arrow
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
The grammar are atrocious.

Fixed

Sephex
03-13-2012, 04:18 AM
The grammar are atrocious.

Fixed

HEY! Who do you know that in the FFVII universe they don't say that specific expression that way! No one has ever considered this!!

Raistlin
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
In bars with big breasted women. This is why no one in the FFVII universes knows anything.

Oh, there is a lot to learn from Tifa.

Sephex
03-13-2012, 05:44 PM

Oh, there is a lot to learn from Tifa.

Really? What does she teach? Math, as long as the lesson plan doesn't involve going past the number 2?