PDA

View Full Version : Soup dude

Jiro
02-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Does that guy in Wall Market ever give you some food? I'm talking about the guy outside chilling around his little pot of whatever the fuck it is. Every time I see him I want to take a bite but he's always "nah come back later". I think if you visit him after the plate falls he talks about dust in his soup. I DON'T CARE MAN, FEED ME YOU JACKASS.

So discuss the soup dude.

Carl the Llama
02-14-2012, 07:31 AM
Well Dak you have done it, I can honestly say I thought I knew everything this game has to offer... now however I have no idea who you are talking about, YOU KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT THIS GAME I DONT!!! or didn't lol, I must find the Soup man!

Sephex
02-14-2012, 11:55 AM
Well, the dust in the soup clearly broke his spirit in terms of making a new batch!

Bubba
02-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I demand a picture of soup dude!

Like KD, I have no idea who you are talking about. It's not the guy in the bar who serves you food for the Don Corneo challenge is it?

Bolivar
02-14-2012, 02:17 PM
I know who you're talking about. You sure he doesn't have any of the items that gets Don Corneo to choose you?

Jiro
02-14-2012, 08:44 PM
He doesn't have anything, he's just sitting there. I don't have a picture of him 'cause I'm not at home but I found a picture of the Wall Market background and cropped his little area out.

http://i42.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/212wmzs.png

That door at the top of the screen is the entry to the materia guy who asks you to get the tiara. Soup dude, however, just sits at his little pot and whatnot. Currently he's telling me it's not ready, but I WANT SOME GODDAMN SOUP.

FFIX Choco Boy
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
Soup dude's afraid to share his soup! Soup dude's afraid to share his soup! Soup dude's afraid to share his soup!

Sephex
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
*looks at pic*

Now that I think about it, why is he making a pot of soup that big?

Bubba
02-14-2012, 09:51 PM
Wow. I can't believe I've never noticed this soup-teasing legend. Maybe it needs more garlic or a more delicate mix of herbs?

Or maybe he's just put too much salt in and ruined it... and now he's scared of telling anyone.

|-THE redmage-|
02-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Maybe he doesn't want to share his soup because he put all of his "exotic herbs" in it. They're pretty hard to come by in Midgar.

VeloZer0
02-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Well I heard it was the start of the Aries revival quest chain.

Jiro
02-15-2012, 12:33 AM
Or maybe it was the end of the chain. Maybe he ate her.

Sephex
02-15-2012, 02:07 AM
Or maybe it was the end of the chain. Maybe he ate her.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/sephiroth-kills.jpg

"Don't feel bad, Cloud. She has now become one with the soup."

FFIX Choco Boy
02-15-2012, 02:34 AM
For some reason I found that funnier than I should have.

Jiro
02-15-2012, 02:41 AM
No no, you found it just the right amount of funny. I did too.

Bubba
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM
OK. So we've established that Aeris ends up as the final ingredient to Soup Dude's culinary masterpiece. It all makes sense now.

When Cloud and Aeris first encounter "The Dude" at Wall Market. His soup was incomplete, hence why he was unwilling to share. He was missing the one final ingredient that would make it suitable for consumption. Little did Aeris know at the time, as she savoured the gentle aroma of the bubbling cauldron, that she would be the final piece of the puzzle.

In conclusion, Soup Dude is a sick bastard that likes cooking flower girls in soup and dust. Only one question remains... how did Aeris' body end up back in Wall Market after being left at the City of the Ancients?

VeloZer0
02-15-2012, 05:52 PM
The same way Cloud got from the Northern Crater to Mideel?

Jiro
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
There's a tunnel. It leads to the sewer under Wall Market. Soup Dude and the Don Corneo have a working relationship.

Bubba
02-16-2012, 03:07 PM
How close is this relationship? In my last playthrough, Don Corneo fell from the Da-Chao mountain in Wutai (presumably to his death) before Aeris had even died.

This begs the question of how Soup Dude could have retrieved Aeris' body after the death of the Don. Considering his status in Wall Market he doesn't seem like kind of guy who would be allowed to swan in the front door of the mansion and gain access to the sewers... even if he had the keys from the Don.

Furthermore, what method did he use to transport Aeris' rotting corpse from Don Corneo's mansion to his pot of soup? Was it transported in one piece disguised as some sort of rug... or was it hacked up into pieces ala Hitchcock's 'Rear Window'? What do we think?

...I may have given this too much thought...

Sephex
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
How close is this relationship? In my last playthrough, Don Corneo fell from the Da-Chao mountain in Wutai (presumably to his death) before Aeris had even died.

This begs the question of how Soup Dude could have retrieved Aeris' body after the death of the Don. Considering his status in Wall Market he doesn't seem like kind of guy who would be allowed to swan in the front door of the mansion and gain access to the sewers... even if he had the keys from the Don.

Furthermore, what method did he use to transport Aeris' rotting corpse from Don Corneo's mansion to his pot of soup? Was it transported in one piece disguised as some sort of rug... or was it hacked up into pieces ala Hitchcock's 'Rear Window'? What do we think?

You're way off!

The body was hacked up THEN put into a carpet!

Bubba
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM

You're way off!

Well that wouldn't be very practical, would it? So Soup Dude is merrily carrying his carpet over his shoulder down Wall Market high street...

All of a sudden, Aeris's head, feet and one of her arms falls out the back! Highly embarrassing!

Jiro
02-16-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't know if "embarrassing" is actually the right word.

But you all forget one important detail.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/2/24/Wall_market_corneo.png

Soup Dude uses the mobile carts here to carry around his ingredients. You can also see another pot with a brew going on there, that one is for visitors to the mansion. But I digress.

The party kills a lot of the Don's minions when they invade. However the Don doesn't just weep about it. He hires new guys. These are the people who recover Aerith's body for Soup Dude. Their job is to take the tunnels back and forth, scavenging etc etc etc. Don't tell me about Don falling to his death on Disk 1 (you tricky bastards). Why? BECAUSE THEY STILL DO THEIR JOB. The Don was off chasing tail, he'd be pissed if he came back to find his minions not doing their job.

Sephex
02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't know if "embarrassing" is actually the right word.

But you all forget one important detail.

http://images.wikia.com/finalfantasy/images/2/24/Wall_market_corneo.png

Soup Dude uses the mobile carts here to carry around his ingredients. You can also see another pot with a brew going on there, that one is for visitors to the mansion. But I digress.

The party kills a lot of the Don's minions when they invade. However the Don doesn't just weep about it. He hires new guys. These are the people who recover Aerith's body for Soup Dude. Their job is to take the tunnels back and forth, scavenging etc etc etc. Don't tell me about Don falling to his death on Disk 1 (you tricky bastards). Why? BECAUSE THEY STILL DO THEIR JOB. The Don was off chasing tail, he'd be pissed if he came back to find his minions not doing their job.

Maybe his twin, Don Cornholio, was working there as some sort of double, and that's why the henchmen kept working? I think we should e-mail the contents of this thread to Square-Enix and see if they can confirm our theories.

Jiro
02-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I feel this could be greater explored in the remake.

SwordFox
02-16-2012, 06:33 PM

You're way off!

Was the carpet merely a transportation device or was it an essential ingredient in making some sort of Aeris sausage?

Carpet provides some much needed roughage. And if it's from Cornelio's mansion then it could be saturated in all sorts of other nutrients.

Just because he's a cannibal doesn't mean he isn't health-conscious.

Jiro
02-16-2012, 06:42 PM
Carpet would be pretty chewy.

Sephex
02-16-2012, 07:30 PM
We don't know how carpet in the FFVII universe would taste if cooked right. Maybe it tastes like bacon?

Jiro
02-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Only one way to find out. Ask S-E to put us in the remake.

SwordFox
02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah, when the remake totally definitely comes then I may consider not buying it unless they turn the soup dude into a cannibalistic carpet muncher.

...Hehe, carpet muncher. If they make him a carpet muncher I'll definitely buy it.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 01:17 AM
For those who still don't know him:

http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/11jqf6h.png

Bubba
02-17-2012, 01:32 AM

http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/11jqf6h.png

Once your flower girl bitch is mine!!

Sephex
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
I always thought of the Wall Market as a sleazy place, like the game intends, but now I have a whole new way of looking at it and the soup character! Thanks EoFF!

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 02:20 AM

You know, I remember the spiky hair dude (was he a pervert?) and the guy outside the shop, but I still really don't think I remember the soup dude. xD

I believe sir, that you, sir, have fabricated this soup dude to dupe us into playing through the game for the nth time.

THAT IS MY CHALLENGE AND NOW IS YOUR CHANCE TO REJECT IT, GOOD SIR.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 02:22 AM
You should play through and find him for yourself :monster:

Jiro
02-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Douple post :shobon:

http://i43.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1y0pxd.png

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 02:45 AM
For an area that has just been below a falling plate, there's a worrying absence of debris. Unless it all conveniently happened to land in his soup. xD

Jiro
02-17-2012, 03:02 AM
Well it's somewhat to the side, Wall Market is in Sector 6 whereas Sector 7 fell.

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 03:14 AM
Then that makes it even more impressive that dust ended up there in the first place. :p

Tigmafuzz
02-17-2012, 03:50 AM
You're all missing the big picture. YOU NEVER GET ANY SOUP!!!

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 03:52 AM
Nobody likes dusty soup.

Rantz
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Wait. Wait. Is this the same guy as the soup nazi in Seinfeld? :eek:

svSGKJFSl-8

Bubba
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
All rise. Court in session. The right honourable Judge Barrett Wallace presiding.
Attorney Tseng speaking for the prosecution.

JBW: "Sit down, F$?%ers."

The court is seated.

JBW: "Call yer man, skinny"
AT: "I call Soup Dude"

A particularly shifty-looking Soup Dude approaches the stand and takes a seat.

JBW: "D'yer promise t' tell the truth, you creepy twat?"
SD: "I do"

Attorney Tseng approaches the stand...

AT: "Can you confirm your name for the court?"
SD: "Soup Dude"
AT: "And your occupation?"
SD: "I'm a soup vendor in Wall Market"
AT: "I see. So you sell soup for a living?"
SD: "No"
AT: "Excuse me?"
SD: "I err... I don't actually sell any soup"
AT: "So you are a soup vendor that doesn't sell soup?"
SD: "Err... yes..."
JBW: "Are you a f%?*!ng idiot?"
SD: "I don't know... probably"

Attorney Tseng paces up and down in front of the stand...

AT: "How long have you been 'not-selling' soup?"
SD: "Six years"
AT: "So what reason do you give customers when they want soup?"
SD: "It's a little early to start eating. Come back in a bit"
JBW: "Six years ta make a pot of God Damn Soup?!!!"
SD: "It's err... a complicated recipe"
AT: "Where did you get this recipe from?"

Soup Dude bows his head...

SD: "...Grandpa..."
JBW: "Grandpa? HA HA HA!! Ya sound like that retarded talkin' lion I used ter know!"
AT: "So was there a special ingredient needed to complete this culinary delight?"
SD: "Err... maybe..."
AT: "I present Exhibit A"

Attorney Tseng presents a picture of a young flower girl and shows it to Soup Dude...

AT: "Do you recognise this girl?"
SD: "Hmmm... wasn't she the slum drunk?"
AT: "She was a flower girl from sector 5"
SD: "Oh...right"
JBW: "That's spiky-head's missus!"

Soup Dude looks around shiftily

AT: "After careful examination of your soup, traces of Miss Aeris Gainsborough were found amongst the contents."
SD: "..."
AT: "Did you cook this flower girl?"

Soup Dude starts to sweat

SD: "I, err... sort of... cook is a strong word... err..."
AT: "How did you come across the body of Miss Gainsborough?"
SD: "I err... found her"
AT: "I have a sworn testimony from three henchmen of the late Don Corneo stating that they found her body in the sewers. Then, at your request, helped transport her body to your soup pot."
AT: "Oh. Well then, yeah... that"

Attorney Tseng rubs the bridge of his nose...

AT: "Can you explain to the court why you did this?"
SD: "Well... it probably stems from an incident in my youth. When I was a boy I was poisoned by mako"
JBW: "Not that old f&%"!ng chestnut! It's funny how all the mental twats in my court say 'ooohhh I'm ill from all that mako...' Yeah? That's why ya molested all those toxic frogs was it?!!"
SD: "It was Professor Hojo. He..."
JBW: "Enough of this sh$t. I say that yer guilty of cookin' a dead flower girl. Sentence' is an ungarmax to the face. It's gunner happen in 30 secon's"

The right honourable Judge Barrett Wallace turns to face Soup Dude

AT: "Would you like to say anything before your sentence is carried out? When you reflect on what you did, cooking Miss Aeris Gainsborough, what do you think?"
SD: "It's probably for the best. No-one on the forums seems to like her anyway"
AT: "What's a forum?"
SD: "I've no idea"

JBW: "Right. 'Ere we go!!"
SD: "God damn dust ruined everything..."

9999, 9999, 9999, 9999, 9999, 9999, 9999, 9999

The end

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 01:05 PM
That is better than any fanfic in the history of EVER. xD

Jiro
02-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I feel you particularly captured the essence of Barret.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 05:35 PM
That was a beautiful story, Bubbaforever. It mad me feel that much more complete of a person.

Skyblade
02-18-2012, 06:45 AM
Out of curiosity, did any of you knuckleheads try talking to the soup gentleman when you return to Wall Market after acquiring the Key to Sector 5? It might change your theory somewhat.

Jiro
02-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Hey I'm getting there. Slowly. Don't panic.

Bubba
02-18-2012, 11:32 AM
Skyblade, I need to know NOW what happens when you talk to him on disc 3.

I'm not sure I can wait for Dak to finish his playthrough to find out!

SwordFox
02-18-2012, 02:00 PM
This is the most exciting suspense I've ever experienced.

I bet he's a chicken noodle soup man.

Jiro
02-18-2012, 11:38 PM
PATIENCE PADAWAN

Sephex
02-19-2012, 01:44 AM
http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/anakin-burning.jpg

"Don't listen to Obi-Wan's liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeees!"

Skyblade
02-19-2012, 01:54 AM
Couldn't do a print screen for you all, unfortunately. Even after I went to all the trouble of repairing and resetting FFVII to work with Windows 7 (not an easy task).

So, I'll just have to give you the line.

"I don't know what's going to happen, but first you have to fill your bellies."

Guess what happens next. :)

Jiro
02-19-2012, 03:00 AM
YOU EAT AERIS OH MY smurfING GOD WE'RE ALL CANNIBALS

Jiro
04-12-2020, 08:25 PM
Devastated to announce that Soup Dude seems to have been cut from the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Did anybody else find their favourite Midgar NPC brutally removed from existence?

Loony BoB
04-12-2020, 10:21 PM
I was really hoping "This guy are sick" would be said at a certain moment in sector 5 slums, but it didn't happen. :(

Jiro
04-13-2020, 10:22 AM
I was really hoping "This guy are sick" would be said at a certain moment in sector 5 slums, but it didn't happen. :(
Yeah, I fully expected someone to say "This guy's, uhhhh, sick" to sound like the same line but, alas...

Psychotic
04-14-2020, 12:23 PM
Devastated to announce that Soup Dude seems to have been cut from the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Did anybody else find their favourite Midgar NPC brutally removed from existence?I just finished Wall Market and no Mukki :( :( :(

I mean, yeah, look, having a terrible stereotype rub Cloud in a nude hot tub obviously wouldn't fly in 2020 and Andrea and Jules are probably more fitting. But they could've had him be one of the generic muscleheads in the gym doing squats or something I dunno.

Jiro
04-14-2020, 03:47 PM
Devastated to announce that Soup Dude seems to have been cut from the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Did anybody else find their favourite Midgar NPC brutally removed from existence?I just finished Wall Market and no Mukki :( :( :(

I mean, yeah, look, having a terrible stereotype rub Cloud in a nude hot tub obviously wouldn't fly in 2020 and Andrea and Jules are probably more fitting. But they could've had him be one of the generic muscleheads in the gym doing squats or something I dunno.

Definitely feel like at least a background role would've been possible. Fingers crossed that Mukki shows up in Costa del Sol as per the OG.

I noticed that the person who lives on the trains wasn't in FF7; instead, they were replaced with a napping shopkeep on the Sector 5 train section. That kinda bummed me out, because I was always super interested in this idea of someone who somehow just lives on the trains going round and round. But I guess that makes even less sense than musclebound hot tub buddies :shobon:

Loony BoB
04-14-2020, 03:51 PM
Totally agree regarding Mukki!

Aulayna
04-14-2020, 03:57 PM
On the flipside I enjoyed some of the more subtle nods to the original.

Like in the OG when you come out of Reactor 1 into Sector 8, Wedge is running around for a few seconds with his butt on fire. In the remake that doesn't happen, but later on he gets a "flesh-wound" from a hound and escaping from the Shinra Warehouse and Biggs and Jessie joke about his ass being a "little singed."

I have a couple more of those which I'll throw into my "thoughts" post I'm still thinking about.

Loony BoB
04-14-2020, 04:02 PM
There have definitely been a lot of people I've remembered from the old game, yeah. People outside the train station at sector 7 rang some bells.

Bubba
04-14-2020, 08:12 PM
Devastated to announce that Soup Dude seems to have been cut from the Final Fantasy VII Remake. Did anybody else find their favourite Midgar NPC brutally removed from existence?

He IS here! I was delighted to see that the guy has branched out with what he offers.

Lady at the counter asks for one of those nice sliders. Guy behind the counter asks her if she’d like a nice, warm bowl of soup to go with it!

I feel 100% confident that this thread contributed to his inclusion.

Loony BoB
04-14-2020, 08:41 PM
Is that sector 7 then? Not quite the same as wall market dude but there are similarities. I swear I did hear one guy mention broth while I was running around wall market, I'll have to see if I can find him again.

Jiro
04-15-2020, 07:37 AM

He IS here! I was delighted to see that the guy has branched out with what he offers.

Lady at the counter asks for one of those nice sliders. Guy behind the counter asks her if she’d like a nice, warm bowl of soup to go with it!

I feel 100% confident that this thread contributed to his inclusion.

!!! thank you for this information

Bubba
04-15-2020, 08:47 AM
Is that sector 7 then? Not quite the same as wall market dude but there are similarities. I swear I did hear one guy mention broth while I was running around wall market, I'll have to see if I can find him again.

Eh, it's practically next door. I'm taking that as a win.

Let me know how your hunt for broth man goes though.