PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

TrollHunter
12-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Hmmm, it seems that my post was never... posted
quit playing my ranged character, it just isn't fun.
Started a deprived, allocating stats to what I find with no specific build in mind.
Currently getting my assed kicked by the gargoyles while rocking a +3 longsword.
May have to upgrade my claymore... hmmm

Also: Got the demons greataxe, debating on if I should use it or not :roll2

Jowy
12-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Bed of Chaos was asinine. Onto the Crystal Cave!

TrollHunter
12-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Beat the gargoyles, killed the capra demon, and killed the gaping dragon.
Onto blighttown
Probably going to go the short way because the long way is just... god it sucks.
I know it inside and out now, but it just isn't fun D:

Currently using:
Longsword +5
Balder Swag Sword +3
Partisan +2
Cadeceus Kite Shield +3

And some random patchwork of armor.
OH, I'm no long running around half naked on this guy too, and that is such a huge plus.
Thief Mask
Hard Leather Armor / Black Leather armor (dependent on weight)
Black Leather Gloves / Elite Knight gloves
Elite Knight Leggings +1

EDIT: Okay, you know what, I don't even mind tomb of the giants. But SCREW THE SMURFING CATACOMBS. Seriously, never before have I dropped so many f-bombs. Hell, even pinwheel managed to stunlock me to death. SMURFING PINWHEEL. I've basically been death free up to this point (bar a death or two at the gargoyles and capra demon), but I wanted to upgrade some of my weapons to fire and get the gravelords sword before going to sens fortress. Well, I've died enough and used enough humanity that I can't let this place beat me now.
This place just royally sucks. The skeletons are the most annoying enemy in the game, the wheel skeletons are the most lethal, and are the second most annoying, and this level stresses me out too much for me to keep my cool... so I die again and again and again and again and again and again and again. Fansmurfingtastic.

EDITEDIT: So, I took a few minutes to get my crap together, and took the catacombs on again. I had a horde of undead chasing me... I thought I was a goner... but NO! I forgot you could summon leeroy. I did, and by god is he a tank. He shrugs off those wheels like they're nothing and does well over 850 damage each hit! Comparing that to my 250 with the gravelords greatsword... dayum. Got my 6 humanity and souls back, and leeroy basically took off over half of pinwheels HP in a single hit.
Revenge is nice, oh SO nice.

Jowy
12-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Really? Personally, I thought the Catacombs was the most fun dungeon in the game next to Painted World. Those Wheel Skeletons are a whole other story though. I'm sure it is a whole other headache without using a divine weapon though.

Got the Moonlight Butterfly Horn and upgraded it to +5 and I'm hitting like a truck with a spear attached to the grill. For anything that isn't an intelligence build, I can see how it would be totally worthless! Plus I really enjoy the design of the weapon itself. Spears are sweet. Wishing I snagged the Leo Ring, but I got impatient when it came to killing Ornstein last.

Also, quick soul-farming method. Run to the skeleton phalanx in Painted World. Drop Chaos Storm. Pick off stragglers, run back to the bonfire, rinse, repeat. 100K souls in fifteen minutes.

edit: Killed Artorias. Three hits from Homing Crystal Soulmass, four Crystal Soul Spears, and two Soul Spears. He only powered up once. Those fuckers with the dark magic are certainly causing me to amp up my use of profanity.

TrollHunter
12-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Alright, im currently doing some Jooly Cooperation in Anor Londo
I got the dragonslayers greatbow, and WHY DID I NEVER USE THIS AMAZING AMAZING WEAPON?
My god, it may be expensive to use, BUT IT IS SO FREAKING FUN!!!!!!!

krissy
12-28-2012, 04:46 AM
so i had my soapstone sign down and was waiting about in the abbey
then suddenly i get a message that i'm invading a world as a dark spirit !!?!?
anyway so i invade somehow, and the guy ends up killing himself accidentally somwhere before getting close

then i looked it up and apparently this has happened to other people too... weird bug, if that's what it is

Goldenboko
12-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Will be getting Demon Souls over the weekend. My Souls adventures continue :)

TrollHunter
12-28-2012, 06:39 AM
I'm in the process of doing the artorias DLC on my artorias gimmick build. It is... well I'm getting my ass kicked.
Killed chester and artorias (Yeah, with a summon to help me out though, I've gotten good enough at him now though via co-op that I wouldnt need one anymore though), got both tracers (including the armor) and artorias's armor, and am currently trying to survive the next area.

I have to say, it took a lot of jolly co-operation to find out how to properly fight those golems with the hammers. They've killed me so many times over.

The dlc is great though, and very heavy with lore and all around awesome.

Jowy
12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
So.

Seath's tail.

How the HELL do I cut this thing off?

TrollHunter
12-28-2012, 07:33 PM
So.

Seath's tail.

How the HELL do I cut this thing off?

I've never even tried ^^

So, in the LDC on my main non-gimmicky character.
He's currently rocking the balder side sword and great lords sword (check this sword out if you ever get the chance, it's super fun to use). He has 46 poise and I just got to artorias.
I was doing enough damage fine... and then he hit me. I got slammed into the ground by his spinning jump attack, and didnt get enough time to recover till he hit me twice more.
Let's just say I didnt last too terribly long~

EDIT: Artorias, stop kicking my ass please. I said stop! This isn't nice Artorias. OWOWOWOWOW
Death count: 3 or 4

Madonna
12-29-2012, 02:53 AM
So.

Seath's tail.

How the HELL do I cut this thing off?You have to do a lot of running if you are by yourself (like I was). RUNNNNNNNNNNN, whack, RUNNNNNNNNNNNNN, whack, and one day, my son, those little hits add up. My trouble is the Painted World's boss's tail; getting that thing is a nightmare. If I want the reward, I am going to have to go into ++ to get it.

Jowy
12-29-2012, 04:32 AM
Well, gentlemen!

Got my Moonlight Greatsword. Didn't have to do much running. The trick was to let him breathe on the thingy in the back. After that, I just ran back once and got it with five or six swings once he was stunned, easy-peasy. As for the fight itself, I cheesed the everliving :skull::skull::skull::skull: out of it: Bloodshield and Cursebite Ring, stood right in front of him and just spammed Great Combustion and Fire Whip. Had to chug my Sunny D whenever I dropped below 50% health, but yeah. Blew him up in thirty seconds flat.

ONTO THE KILN because Oolacile Township is scary.

TrollHunter
12-29-2012, 05:35 AM
Well, gentlemen!

Got my Moonlight Greatsword. Didn't have to do much running. The trick was to let him breathe on the thingy in the back. After that, I just ran back once and got it with five or six swings once he was stunned, easy-peasy. As for the fight itself, I cheesed the everliving :skull::skull::skull::skull: out of it: Bloodshield and Cursebite Ring, stood right in front of him and just spammed Great Combustion and Fire Whip. Had to chug my Sunny D whenever I dropped below 50% health, but yeah. Blew him up in thirty seconds flat.

ONTO THE KILN because Oolacile Township is scary.

I'm so so proud.

So, Things are going pretty well.
Been doing some jolly co-operation at kalameet.
I've gotten a lot of people their obsidian greatswords, but I keep getting people with the fatty rolls.
Long story short: I've only gotten 1 person out of like 5 to survive the entire fight. I keep getting the same people summoning me, and they keep dropping like flies when kalameet nukes the ground with flame when he flies up into the air.
Win or lose, I'm still getting a better feel for how this boss works. I'll have to try and solo him later for sure.
After I beat him, it's onto manus, who scares the everliving crap out of me.

Jowy
12-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Priscilla dead, dagger acquired. Not enough dexterity to use it, but perhaps that will change in NG+! Kalameet dies today.

krissy
12-29-2012, 10:04 PM
just met queelag for the first time

weiiirdest boner

Jowy
12-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Try holding with both hands.

Pete for President
12-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Good to see this thread is as alive at it'll ever be after being absent for a week of holidays! I too will be continuing my various PvP and NG+3 characters : )

EDIT: Okay, you know what, I don't even mind tomb of the giants. But SCREW THE SMURFING CATACOMBS. Seriously, never before have I dropped so many f-bombs. Hell, even pinwheel managed to stunlock me to death. SMURFING PINWHEEL. I've basically been death free up to this point (bar a death or two at the gargoyles and capra demon), but I wanted to upgrade some of my weapons to fire and get the gravelords sword before going to sens fortress. Well, I've died enough and used enough humanity that I can't let this place beat me now.
This place just royally sucks. The skeletons are the most annoying enemy in the game, the wheel skeletons are the most lethal, and are the second most annoying, and this level stresses me out too much for me to keep my cool... so I die again and again and again and again and again and again and again. Fansmurfingtastic.

EDITEDIT: So, I took a few minutes to get my crap together, and took the catacombs on again. I had a horde of undead chasing me... I thought I was a goner... but NO! I forgot you could summon leeroy. I did, and by god is he a tank. He shrugs off those wheels like they're nothing and does well over 850 damage each hit! Comparing that to my 250 with the gravelords greatsword... dayum. Got my 6 humanity and souls back, and leeroy basically took off over half of pinwheels HP in a single hit.
Revenge is nice, oh SO nice.

Haha taking on the Catacombs before Anor Londo is guaranteed to be a very... peculiar trip. Getting to Pinwheel is one thing, but getting back up the Catacombs is just smurfed. I once attempted to get Wrath of the Gods early game, thus visiting the Tomb of Giants before getting the Lordvessel. It's the one and only character I just gave up. It's just too frustrating to climb back out of the Tomb of Giants and Catacombs with the Giant Skeletons and Bonewheel Skeletons harassing you every step. Smurf that.

Win or lose, I'm still getting a better feel for how this boss works. I'll have to try and solo him later for sure.
After I beat him, it's onto manus, who scares the everliving crap out of me.

Glad you like the DLC. It's pretty darn good for DLC standards! Both Kalameet and Manus are a thrill to solo. I'd say they'd make better final bosses than Gwyn! Artorias - though easiest to solo is still a kickass bossfight - deserves props too.

TrollHunter
12-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Oh, this dlc is beautifully put together. The story is very well fleshed out, the environments are gorgeous, and it's freaking difficult.

OKAY GO

Got the obsidian greatsword and got kalameet to like 40% hp before biting the dust.
It's a start

Artorias is an amazing bossfight that's like gwyn but slightly easier. He's a lot of fun to solo once you get his dodges down, and the atmosphere during the battle is spectacular. I don't know if I prefer his fight over gwyn as I like them for slightly different reasons, but he's definitely a favorite now.

Kalameet is a blast to fight with a party, I like to call him the gaping dragon done right. He's tough, lots of aoe, and wide sweeping melee attacks that can easily catch one offguard if they aren't careful.

The occalie township is one of the creepiest and prettiest places I've ever seen in dark souls. The new enemies are refreshing and difficult, and some of them, like the chained prisoner, are creative and disturbing. I felt like I was playing a silent hill game with a good battle system. Such a fun place to explore as well, and I'm glad I initially went through the place blind and ignorant.

I've only fought manus with a party, but seeing how damaging his attacks can be with the aggro split, I can only imagine during solo play when dodging his attacks would be far more difficult. I love his design, especially his massive arm. His movements were very much akin to a monkey.... I bet that was intentional as well. Maybe symbolizing manus's loss of humanity?

Yes, I love this dlc. It has so SO much effort put into it, and it brings a lot of stuff to light while also bringing up even more questions.

Jowy
12-30-2012, 03:20 AM
"thrill to solo manus"

I've been doing this for an HOUR and it is horrible and not very much fun at all. :aimsad: Attempted Gwyn without parrying, managed to snake him down to below fifty percent health with my best attempt.

TrollHunter
12-30-2012, 06:58 AM
"thrill to solo manus"

I've been doing this for an HOUR and it is horrible and not very much fun at all. :aimsad: Attempted Gwyn without parrying, managed to snake him down to below fifty percent health with my best attempt.

Soloing manus or non-parry run on gwyn?
Both are quite brutal really.

Madame Adequate
12-30-2012, 07:08 AM
Avoiding reading almost everything about this game because I hear tell exploring and learning is much of the fun (so far proving fairly true) but I just wanted to say I got this due to the Steam sale yesterday and today I was playing and some jerkoff skeleton zombie dude kept throwing firebombs at me so I ran up the steps to him and I kicked him off the cliff damn it was satisfying.

TrollHunter
12-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Avoiding reading almost everything about this game because I hear tell exploring and learning is much of the fun (so far proving fairly true) but I just wanted to say I got this due to the Steam sale yesterday and today I was playing and some jerkoff skeleton zombie dude kept throwing firebombs at me so I ran up the steps to him and I kicked him off the cliff damn it was satisfying.

Oh, you're going to love to hate those guys. They pose no threat to me anymore and I still hate their guts.

Jowy
12-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Two-manned Manus, soloed Kalameet which ate up two hours of my life. Pursuers is fucking SWEET. Final boss dies after I eat lunch. :aimsun:

Huxley, I am so glad you're playing this! I hope you're using a controller and not keyboard/mouse.

Nicolas
12-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Two-manned Manus, soloed Kalameet which ate up two hours of my life. Pursuers is smurfing SWEET. Final boss dies after I eat lunch. :aimsun:

Huxley, I am so glad you're playing this! I hope you're using a controller and not keyboard/mouse.

It's such a pain to play with keyboard and mouse. You are pretty much forced to play with the controller. Also, make sure to have Durante's Mod. Looks so good. So good.

TrollHunter
12-31-2012, 12:11 AM
So, I was watching this twitch stream of someone doing a 1-hit kill boss run challenge.
Check this crap out
Dark Souls Livestream: Artorias - Vageta311 One-Shot Challenge - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KSLK2CS310#t=1m41s)

Madame Adequate
12-31-2012, 12:25 AM
Yep, controller. Heard absolutely everywhere that KB+M is terribad for this game.

Jowy
12-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Killed the final boss without parrying...

...because I used Pursuers and Black Flame to blow him up in about forty-five seconds.

TrollHunter
12-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Killed the final boss without parrying...

...because I used Pursuers and Black Flame to blow him up in about forty-five seconds.

........whatever, still counts.

krissy
12-31-2012, 02:26 AM
rang the second bell, was very dissapointed when

the fire keeper lady was dead upon my return to the firelink shrine. i never got her to upgrade my estus flasks.

took out queelag with a co-op of a strong magician and the meat cutting lady that attacks you in the swamp
the song that plays in the sister cave is my fave in the game so far

Jowy
12-31-2012, 02:48 AM
krissy, just wait until you're in anor londo. you can upgrade your estus flask there.

Have fun in Sen's Funhouse! be wary of mimicry.

Sorcery really is easy mode. NG+ and rang the first bell in under an hour.

Pete for President
12-31-2012, 10:06 AM

Yes indeed. With the new Dark sorceries even PvP is a breeze for sorcerers. But I find sorcery the least fun way to play both in PvE and PvP, as it mostly revolves around auto-lock and homing projectiles. The thrill of being in an up close melee brawl is way more fun and rewarding for me, so I'll stay away from sorcery.

Edit: It's even come to the point where I've stopped summoning people who have sorcery-stuff equipped like the Moonlight Greatsword or Catalysts. Mages tend to ruin the tension of a bossfight.

So, I was watching this twitch stream of someone doing a 1-hit kill boss run challenge.
Check this crap out
Dark Souls Livestream: Artorias - Vageta311 One-Shot Challenge - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KSLK2CS310#t=1m41s)

That is pretty sweet!

Nicolas
12-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Messed around with the Level 1 Pyromancer for a while last night. Was thinking of going through the game as far as I can with it and getting into the Darkwraith Covenant. Saw some advice for it online, and looks like it is in line with what I was planning. Just upgrading weapons, armor, and the flame. Doesn't sound too hard besides having to beat the Four Kings with minimal equipment. Should be fun.

Jowy
12-31-2012, 02:49 PM

Yes indeed. With the new Dark sorceries even PvP is a breeze for sorcerers. But I find sorcery the least fun way to play both in PvE and PvP, as it mostly revolves around auto-lock and homing projectiles. The thrill of being in an up close melee brawl is way more fun and rewarding for me, so I'll stay away from sorcery.

Edit: It's even come to the point where I've stopped summoning people who have sorcery-stuff equipped like the Moonlight Greatsword or Catalysts. Mages tend to ruin the tension of a bossfight.

I can agree with that. I usually play a 2H strength and smack things with a greatsword in most games, felt like a change of pace. I'm gonna pick up a strength/faith character my next time through. The bosses that I was unable to take out with sorceries (Stray Demon, O&S, Capra) definitely stood out as the most memorable fights solely because of the challenge factor.

TrollHunter
01-01-2013, 01:55 AM

I can agree with that. I usually play a 2H strength and smack things with a greatsword in most games, felt like a change of pace. I'm gonna pick up a strength/faith character my next time through. The bosses that I was unable to take out with sorceries (Stray Demon, O&S, Capra) definitely stood out as the most memorable fights solely because of the challenge factor.

Oh, you're going to have fun on all the other bosses. Heh, I can't wait to hear your updates on a new character.
Sorceries basically demolish bosses in this game, and I hate summoning people who use it. I like longer intense fights, and bringing a sorcerer along just... kills that intensity.
Strength faith builds are OH so much fun, and are my second favorite types of builds. I go high str, like 16 dex, and as high faith as my build allows. Miracles are a lot more interesting than sorceries as well in my opinion. With force, heal, homeward, and the ability to throw lightning.

Jowy
01-01-2013, 07:47 PM
So far so awesome. Grabbed Elite Knight set, Astora's + Dragon Crest, killed Havel with lots of backstabs with a sharp stick. Just got the Claymore and I'm tearin' it up. Gonna blow up the gargoyles in a bit and then agonize over the Capra Demon for a while like always.

Quindiana Jones
01-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Upgrade the Balder shield a bit, and you'll be able to block the Capra Demon's attacks. Makes that fight so much less ridiculous. xD

Jowy
01-01-2013, 09:41 PM
Got Capra down in one attempt. I'M BECOMING A MAN.

TrollHunter
01-02-2013, 12:39 AM
The balder shield is easily my favorite shield in the game. it weighs 4 and has a crapton of stability.
Get it, get it nao.
(You can also buy it in sens fortress for 4000 souls)

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 12:58 AM
In my opinion, it's the best shield until you can get hold of a Silver Knight Shield.

Pete for President
01-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Got Capra down in one attempt. I'M BECOMING A MAN.

They grow up so fast :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 03:26 PM
Whilst back in England, I got some time alone with my Xbox and Dark Souls. I entered Blighttown via the non-Master Key route.

The bastards in Blighttown are... well, bastards.

I decided to put it on the shelf shortly after, because I only had two days of available playing time, and I didn't want to have to suffer anymore teary goodbyes. :(

krissy
01-02-2013, 05:47 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427668_411903495553064_1562205454_n.jpg

Quindiana Jones
01-02-2013, 07:18 PM
You are definitely going to suffer an inordinate amount of deaths. Godspeed, my brave and foolish friend.

Pete for President
01-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Here's hoping Kirk's Spiked Shield and the Skeleton's Bonewheel Shield drop early, thou brave soul. Don't forget to complete Siegmeyer of Catarina's sidequest up until Blighttown!

TrollHunter
01-02-2013, 11:43 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/427668_411903495553064_1562205454_n.jpg

I saw that guy streaming on twitch...
I didn't see much, but he didn't seem very good at the game xD

OnTopic: Made my Pure strength build last night. 10 minutes after startup I was already at andre, good time. Spent the next 4 or so hours farming and upgrading. My Vit was at 11 well into the 30s due to huge stat requirements for gear.
Gonna make him a darkwraith too, invading in the dukes will be oh so fun.
Currently in sens waiting to get summoned so I can upgrade my pyro flame to +10 and talk to quelaana to get some fun pyromancies. Funfact: This is my first build to use pyro, sue me.

Using the sack, large club, balder shield, and hard leather pants. Once I get some more endurance, my character will be one terrifying red phantom, oh yes he will.

Jowy
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
Trying to plan ahead for the good miracles, so...What do I have to do to ensure that Rhea doesn't die in the Undead Parish after saving her from the Tomb of the Giants?

Pete for President
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Trying to plan ahead for the good miracles, so...What do I have to do to ensure that Rhea doesn't die in the Undead Parish after saving her from the Tomb of the Giants?

After saving her, you're going to have to kill Petrus of Thorolund at Firelink Shrine. You can actually beat Nito while you're at the Tomb of Giants, but after killing one or two more bosses Petrus will kill Rhea. So I'd recommend taking care of Petrus right after you rescue Rhea or right after you beat Nito.

Jowy
01-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Easy enough, wasn't sure if there was some sort of side-quest I was missing out on!

krissy
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
FRICKIN MIMIC

i need a faster weapon than the drake sword i think

Jowy
01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
You'll get something nice when you kill the mimic.

Try pyromancy. If the glove isn't leveled up, I would recommend you take the time to do so to prepare for a future encounter.

krissy
01-03-2013, 10:19 PM
i just ended up being extra careful and did the job with the sword
that is a nice gift
i will cherish it

Jowy
01-03-2013, 10:24 PM
At least you didn't roll backwards into the elevator pit twice in a row like I did!

nirojan
01-03-2013, 10:44 PM
To those of you who are interested, Demon Souls (spiritual predecessor), in on the PS store this Tuesday for $19.99. To those of you who haven't picked up this gem: SHAME ON YOU :mad2:

Jowy
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
To those of you who are interested, Demon Souls (spiritual predecessor), in on the PS store this Tuesday for $19.99. To those of you who haven't picked up this gem: SHAME ON YOU :mad2:

No PS3. :aimcry:

Quindiana Jones
01-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Dark Souls: PtD is on Steam for the same price. :D

krissy
01-04-2013, 03:36 AM
i'm in anor londo now. pretty gorgeous. i'm sl 48, with 40 in endurance, and it's taking me a rather long time to finish off the bloody handed things and the sentinels, so i think i should fly myself back to the fortress and backtrack through a few places i haven't been in order to upgrade my crap

anyway demon's souls was great
but dark souls is built way better. the connectivity and the entire engine, wherein you dont have to deal with load screens, is just the best thing. i can't wrap my head around how they program this sort of thing. i guess the unreal engine does it too, but they used havok: didn't know havok could do this.

Pete for President
01-04-2013, 09:12 AM
i'm in anor londo now. pretty gorgeous. i'm sl 48, with 40 in endurance, and it's taking me a rather long time to finish off the bloody handed things and the sentinels, so i think i should fly myself back to the fortress and backtrack through a few places i haven't been in order to upgrade my crap

You really want to go through Sen's again? Thou brave soul! Did you unlock the shortcut using the cage key?

If anything I'd say push on if the Lightning Spear gotten from Sen's mimic is in your inventory. The high HP Sentinels are obviously meant to be hard to kill so don't worry. And finally let's just say there are several things/places found in Anor Londo that will make your backtrack obsolete.

anyway demon's souls was great
but dark souls is built way better. the connectivity and the entire engine, wherein you dont have to deal with load screens, is just the best thing. i can't wrap my head around how they program this sort of thing. i guess the unreal engine does it too, but they used havok: didn't know havok could do this.

Agreed. I liked the Nexus as a home-location but the connected world of Dark Souls is so much more immersive. It really feels like an uninterrupted journey to the far corners of Lordran.

Jowy
01-05-2013, 02:12 AM
Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I know what bent and twisted all of the steel bars in the Depths.

Domnhall.

Down there for a reason, I guess.

TrollHunter
01-05-2013, 03:26 AM
Okay, so todays progress
Nito: Dead
4 kings: Dead
Seath: Dead
Demon firesage: Dead
Centipede thing: Dead
Bed of Chaos: Dead
Kalameet: Dead
>Tail: Get
Manus: I don't even care about him this run
Gwyn: Soon

I hope to beat NG on my strength guy by tonight. I know I can do it with my power within and summons.
Beat the bed of chaos with my personal record of only 1 death. I was just "meh" the entire fight, no stress, joy, no emotion even when I beat her. I like to forget this terrible boss exists.
Beat kalameet second try. He's a cool boss... but annoying when you want the tail.

This is my build if anyone is curious. (http://mmdks.com/nnf)
Keep in mind, he uses a ton of other weapons/spells besides those.

EDIT: Updated my progress

Jowy
01-05-2013, 06:24 AM
The only deaths related to Bed of Chaos involved me being bad at jumping. That might be the most asinine boss fight in any video game ever though. At least sliding down before the fight is remotely fun.

I Don't Need A Name
01-05-2013, 08:27 PM
https://images.4chan.org/v/src/1357413196297.jpg

TrollHunter
01-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Currently on NG+
Just beat O&S in like... 5-6 attempts.
Going to start having a lot of fun with this build ^^

krissy
01-06-2013, 02:39 AM
friggin archers
i wouldn't be so annoyed if it didn't take 3 full minutes of running to even get to that point

TrollHunter
01-06-2013, 07:57 AM
3 minutes? It takes like... 1 minute to reach the archers, if you just run by everything anyway.
They thankfully give me little trouble now. I've gotten used to their bullcrap.
But on every playthrough prior to my current one, they would kill me over and over and over again. Drove me insane.

Pete for President
01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I posted some thoughts on how I would improve Dark Souls and it's PvP in the 'Improve your favorite game' thread. What do you guys think?

http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/146350-improve-your-favorite-game-2.html#post3196155

TrollHunter
01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Let the Darkmoons be able to invade any non-hollow Darkwraith regardless whether they have beaten the boss or not. This is to counter those Darkwraiths who terrorize areas they have already beaten.

Hmmm.... as long is it doesnt affect my darkwraiths im okay with that.
Overall, decent changes really. Wouldnt mind any of them.

"Replace the +-10% level difference limit to invade as a Blade of the Darkmoon by being able to invade any Darkwraith from level 1 to your own level + 10%. Of course, the guiltier, the more hunted you'll be."

Now, I dont think this one would work.

A) It would basically make it so that low levels are thrust into battles they cant possibly win

B) (This one is moot if only concerned with pvp) if paired with the bosses dont matter rule, would give even less reason to be human in vanilla play. While not as important to a lot of people, the balance of human and undead in pve is very widely sided with the undead unless you're looking for pvp.

C) Instead of down to Lv.1, I would instead say that invasions up to -50% of your level would work perfectly fine. Level 100 darkmoons could invade down to level 50, and up to 7481040103. Level 200 down to 100, and so forth. This could improve the activity of the darkmoon covenant while shifting the balance less. 50% may be a bit too much though... maybe 30%?

Remove regular base damage for elemental weapons and replace it with scaling based on the elemental damage. The scaling part will become the regular damage stat. This way elemental weapons can no longer be exploited by level 1 darkwraiths or abused by players who dump stats into Vitality or other support stats.

So, what do you mean by this? Like, say fire would have strength scaling? Lightning dex? If so, that's fine. But if say a katanas dex scaling carries over to an ele weapon is your idea, then yeah, I very strongly disagree.
Elemental weapons have very little purpose really. Their main point is to allow people to use weapons that they don't have the stats to get the scaling with. Let me use my trusty shotel as an example. It's a key weapon for my 50 strength forest hunter, as without it turtling gankers would be far more annoying unless I resorted to backstab fishing. This would seriously limit weapon variety and weapon utility, greatly shifting the balance of which stats more viable. I'm not sure of a different method to fix the Lv.1 prickwraiths, but I know this wouldnt be the right way to go about it.

ONTOPIC:
So, soon I will be reaching 50 strength... and then, THE FOREST WILL TREMBLE!
Dragon king greataxe + hidden weapon + R2 = DESTRUCTION!!!!

Pete for President
01-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Let the Darkmoons be able to invade any non-hollow Darkwraith regardless whether they have beaten the boss or not. This is to counter those Darkwraiths who terrorize areas they have already beaten.

Hmmm.... as long is it doesnt affect my darkwraiths im okay with that.
Overall, decent changes really. Wouldnt mind any of them.

"Replace the +-10% level difference limit to invade as a Blade of the Darkmoon by being able to invade any Darkwraith from level 1 to your own level + 10%. Of course, the guiltier, the more hunted you'll be."

Now, I dont think this one would work.

A) It would basically make it so that low levels are thrust into battles they cant possibly win

B) (This one is moot if only concerned with pvp) if paired with the bosses dont matter rule, would give even less reason to be human in vanilla play. While not as important to a lot of people, the balance of human and undead in pve is very widely sided with the undead unless you're looking for pvp.

C) Instead of down to Lv.1, I would instead say that invasions up to -50% of your level would work perfectly fine. Level 100 darkmoons could invade down to level 50, and up to 7481040103. Level 200 down to 100, and so forth. This could improve the activity of the darkmoon covenant while shifting the balance less. 50% may be a bit too much though... maybe 30%?

Thanks for the feedback! As for A: this works both ways. As it is now there are a lot of un-punishable low-level Darkwraiths around who terrorize low-levels and new players in starter areas. Now these are what I call battles the low-levels can't win. Being able to invade OP low-level wraiths, the Darkmoons could become "protectors" of the low-levels.

Edit: I just had this idea; when a Darkwraith invades a world and the host has no summons, should it be possible for a Darkmoon to invade as a friendly blue spirit to help banish the Darkwraith?

B is an interesting point and I'm not sure how to make being in human form more appealing other than being able to summon. But since most of my proposed edits are solely PvP based I'm not sure whether to adress this. An option could be; award more souls when you beat an enemy in human form?

Agreed that being able to invade any Darkwraith from level 1 and up could be a bit extreme, especially for highlevel Moons (200+). 50% sounds very reasonable, although I'd still like a solution for the level 1 Darkwraiths.

I wanted to strike a balance between the appeal between the Darkwraiths and Darkmoons. With less area/level-restrictions and higher chance of invasion I believe the Darkmoon covenant could become just as popular as a PvP covenant and have more impact as being hunters of the Dark.

Do you agree?

Remove regular base damage for elemental weapons and replace it with scaling based on the elemental damage. The scaling part will become the regular damage stat. This way elemental weapons can no longer be exploited by level 1 darkwraiths or abused by players who dump stats into Vitality or other support stats.

So, what do you mean by this? Like, say fire would have strength scaling? Lightning dex? If so, that's fine. But if say a katanas dex scaling carries over to an ele weapon is your idea, then yeah, I very strongly disagree.
Elemental weapons have very little purpose really. Their main point is to allow people to use weapons that they don't have the stats to get the scaling with. Let me use my trusty shotel as an example. It's a key weapon for my 50 strength forest hunter, as without it turtling gankers would be far more annoying unless I resorted to backstab fishing. This would seriously limit weapon variety and weapon utility, greatly shifting the balance of which stats more viable. I'm not sure of a different method to fix the Lv.1 prickwraiths, but I know this wouldnt be the right way to go about it.

I see your point. Of course the elemental weapons are of use for higher levels too, and I might have overlooked this. What I meant was a sort of combination between elemental and raw weapons, but I really like your idea to give both elementals a different stat to scale with.

Say an Iaito+10 has a base damage of 176, along with a B-scaling in Dex. Now, when we turn it into a Lightning Iaito +5, is has a regular base damage of 242 and lightning damage of 246, no scaling (very powerful with low requirements to use, easily abused by low level wraiths).

I would propose to remove the regular base from the Lightning weapon, and give it a regular damage stat based on light scaling of whichever stat we give to lightning. Let's pair up strength with Lightning in this example. So now when we upgrade our Iatio +10 to Lightning Iaito +5 for example it would have:

A lightning damage of 246, with a C-strength scaling adding the regular damage.

For low levels this would obviously remove the OP-ness, as both Str and Dex would be so low it hardly gives any bonus in regular damage (say, maybe 50?). For higher levels (take your strength build for example) the weapon would still reach about 400 AR in split damage, making it a viable weapon for strength builds even though it's a dex weapon. I hope this makes sense : )

ONTOPIC:
So, soon I will be reaching 50 strength... and then, THE FOREST WILL TREMBLE!
Dragon king greataxe + hidden weapon + R2 = DESTRUCTION!!!!

That sounds like a lot of fun : )

Pete for President
01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm pretty jealous of this guy's parrying skills:
Dark Souls - It Wasn't Supposed To End Like This II - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fWh6oZncY4&list=UUxW2Le1cFAD14KP1k9mrYBw)

Edit: The past month I've been on a break from Dark Souls to play some other games, but yesterday I got back into PvP. I almost forgot how addictive invasions are. Yesterday I terrorized the Royal Wood with great success, about 8 out of 10 invasions were successful and that includes winning several 1vs2 and 1vs3 invasions. Today however, I rarely killed a thing in the Royal Wood, so I did some sidequesting. For the first time ever in 400+ hours of playing this game I have finally obtained the Dragon Torso stone. Now I've rejoined the forest hunters, where things were going more my way; scored 2 parries during 4 invasions!

TrollHunter
01-11-2013, 10:32 PM
I'm pretty jealous of this guy's parrying skills:
Dark Souls - It Wasn't Supposed To End Like This II - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fWh6oZncY4&list=UUxW2Le1cFAD14KP1k9mrYBw)

Edit: The past month I've been on a break from Dark Souls to play some other games, but yesterday I got back into PvP. I almost forgot how addictive invasions are. Yesterday I terrorized the Royal Wood with great success, about 8 out of 10 invasions were successful and that includes winning several 1vs2 and 1vs3 invasions. Today however, I rarely killed a thing in the Royal Wood, so I did some sidequesting. For the first time ever in 400+ hours of playing this game I have finally obtained the Dragon Torso stone. Now I've rejoined the forest hunters, where things were going more my way; scored 2 parries during 4 invasions!

Oh, so you found peeve? Yeah, I watch his livestreams all the time, he's a great guy to watch. He also does a lot of stream events too, which adds some nice variety.

OT: Haven't had time to play since break sadly... I won't have much time this weekend either due to the move.
Meh.

Pete for President
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
Oh, so you found peeve? Yeah, I watch his livestreams all the time, he's a great guy to watch. He also does a lot of stream events too, which adds some nice variety.

OT: Haven't had time to play since break sadly... I won't have much time this weekend either due to the move.
Meh.

Dark Souls is always calling!

I've actually been semi-following Peeve for quite a while, but I didn't always enjoy watching his older videos because of his emo/screamo music choices. Now that the videos are pure Dark Souls sound and he's become more gank-hunter than dueler, I'm really starting to like his channel. I also dig his Sackbro initiative to punish forest gankers, which I'm giving a shot to join tomorrow on PS3.

Other YouTube favs are DarkSoulsMindEye, XSkulled and Emarrel, although none of these guys upload too often anymore.

Pete for President
01-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Muhahaha, now that I'm back in the game I have come up with a very cunning scheme to become a Gravelord from the very start, muhaha!

First I'll use this tactic to get my hands on the Great Scythe; a proper Gravelord weapon. Then I'll upgrade it like the way he shows.

Dark Souls: Overpowered In Ten Minutes - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joxXoetgIYw)

After that I'll take the shortcut again, but instead of dropping down to Leeroy's sign I'll go through the tunnel and join the Covenant. When I return to the tunnel I'll just run for the Eyes of Death hidden behind the titanite demon and move on to the Burg. My goal is to be Gravelording the entire playthrough, but it all depends how many Eyes of Death I can collect with only 3 to start with until I reach the Depths. Even then collecting more can be tedious without the Gold Serpent Ring.

Goldenboko
01-14-2013, 04:26 PM
Got my roommate to beat the game! He used the Iron Flesh strategy against Gywn. Still counts!

Pete for President
01-14-2013, 09:32 PM
Got my roommate to beat the game! He used the Iron Flesh strategy against Gywn. Still counts!

Is he hooked on the game? :greenie:

The first part of my Gravelord scheme is complete. Re-enacting the video was actually harder than it looks, but it was pretty funny to see Paladin Leeroy smack Pinwheel in it's 3 faces. I am now a level 6 Gravelord wielding a Fire Great Scythe.

Next time I'll be getting the Wolf and Red Tearstone rings before moving on to the Burg where I'll launch my first Eye of Death. I'm tempted to go and try get the Hornet Ring through the Basin, but both the Hydra and the cats are ruthless at low level.

Quindiana Jones
01-14-2013, 09:38 PM
Warrrrghh! I want to make interesting builds! D:

Pete for President
01-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Your day shall come my friend!

I started gravelording in the Burg today and already have come across somewhat of a problem; level 1 Darkwraiths. It is fun to get invaded at the rate it sometimes happens though. Like, 2-3 people joining in just 20 seconds.

Madame Adequate
01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
This game is okay but not tremendously interesting or engaging for me. I'm glad so many other people seem to like it though!

Jowy
01-15-2013, 09:04 PM
This game is okay but not tremendously interesting or engaging for me. I'm glad so many other people seem to like it though!

Wait until invasions start to occur. Or when you hit a certain boss fight involving two gentlemen working together to kill you in ten seconds flat.

Quindiana Jones
01-15-2013, 10:00 PM
How about one of you let me play vicariously through you? :p

Pete for President
01-16-2013, 08:16 AM

Wait until invasions start to occur. Or when you hit a certain boss fight involving two gentlemen working together to kill you in ten seconds flat.

Or when you can't help cracking a smile when an NPC suspects you of having a crush on him :p

Seriously though, the first 3-4 hours of the game I was having doubts myself. Thought I made a mistake spending €50 on such a dark and 'difficult' game. But the contrary is true, and now it ranks among my favorite games of all time.

I hope you can still get some enjoyment out of it MILF :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I thought it was a good little game when I started playing. Then I began exploring the depths of the combat system and realised it was a magnificent game. Then I started exploring the depths of the lore, and the way it was handled, and Dark Souls became one of my favourite games ever. The world that From Software created really tickles my historian side's fancy. They provide you with a really genuine world. Historians don't know shit; they make assumptions based off of some evidence, and when there is no evidence they make assumptions based off of how the world was two hundred years prior and two hundred years after. If you want to understand the lore of the world, you have to actually figure it all out.

Glorious. Utterly glorious.

On that topic, Manus is the pygmy? I haven't played it myself, of course, but I've been watching playthroughs, and it seems likely.

Jowy
01-17-2013, 02:56 AM
Getting smacked by those big dumb mushrooms is really the saddest possible way of dying.

Pete for President
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Getting smacked by those big dumb mushrooms is really the saddest possible way of dying.

Those things hit hard! I love it when they beat up a ganker I'm hunting in the forest. It's rare, but it happens. :p

Getting eaten by a mimic is pretty sad too.

Madonna
01-17-2013, 10:18 AM
Pathetic deaths are the best deaths. You know they can happen, you normally do not fall for them, and one day you go out for a casual stroll, and you take it again to pick up your bloodstai--nevermind, another dumb death you could have avoided if you were not being so flippant. Fuuuuck.

Been pounding out my main characters so I can trade with Jen and give her characters nifty stuff, but grinding through areas and bosses for excess loot is a bother. I want to invade people and mess up their mornings.

Quindiana Jones
01-17-2013, 10:24 AM
My favourite pathetic death is, and will always be, the spatial awareness death. It's particularly enjoyable when you're invaded by a DWG Ring flipper, and they just ponce off the edge of a cliff to their death. :p

Pete for President
01-17-2013, 11:20 AM
My favourite pathetic death is, and will always be, the spatial awareness death. It's particularly enjoyable when you're invaded by a DWG Ring flipper, and they just ponce off the edge of a cliff to their death. :p

Ah, we've all been there :p I've walked myself off the forest cliff quite a few times while backing off and remaining locked on the gankers as a forest hunter. Such shame and the gankers must've laughed their masks off. :(

Jowy
01-17-2013, 05:44 PM
The Blighttown waterwheel is still the enemy I fear most.

Madame Adequate
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't mind that the game is tough, actually the best parts were by far when I figured out how to defeat tough enemies :p It's just not really grabbed me. I'll give it another try at some point though!

TrollHunter
01-17-2013, 06:22 PM

I started gravelording in the Burg today and already have come across somewhat of a problem; level 1 Darkwraiths. It is fun to get invaded at the rate it sometimes happens though. Like, 2-3 people joining in just 20 seconds.

Note: gravelording doesnt work too well in ng. People can jnvade but im fairly sure that you cant summon phantoms in their world
Its for balance i assume.

Also, those big mushrooms are my brosin the forest
Theyve killed sooo many invaders
Only bro whos killed more is the ladder and river :D

Pete for President
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM

Note: gravelording doesnt work too well in ng. People can jnvade but im fairly sure that you cant summon phantoms in their world
Its for balance i assume.

So I've read, but the contrary seems true. The other day I received a message by a player who asked whether I was having any success as an early Gravelord. He invaded me a couple minutes before, but left. He said there were indeed red phantoms in his world, and told me they were indeed a lot stronger than normal ones. I was gravelording the Parish at the time, soul level 12. So I believe it does work. Have you tried it yourself on NG?

TrollHunter
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Ha, cant say i have... But now ima give it a shot myself this weekend.
I was just going off warnings given to me xD
I love gravelording soooo

Jowy
01-19-2013, 06:11 AM
Killed Pinwheel, got a fire weapon, and gonna soldier through enough of the Tomb of the Giants before I've killed the Iron Golem. So awesome.

Pete for President
01-19-2013, 10:00 AM
Killed Pinwheel, got a fire weapon, and gonna soldier through enough of the Tomb of the Giants before I've killed the Iron Golem. So awesome.

I once tried that... it did not end well. The way down is a lot easier than going back up! Let me know if you succeed in this brave excursion.

Jowy
01-19-2013, 07:55 PM
It isn't going very well; Got ganked by the hollows due to a poor sense of direction. I'll get it tonight.

Pete for President
01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
After a long break I continued my "no talking/psychopath" challenge character. Last time I had beaten Sif, this session I beat the Demon Ruins, Lost Izalith, the Catacombs and made it to the second bonfire in Tomb of the Giants where I killed Patches. I didn't know the giant skeletons dropped Murakumo's. Nito will fall next, then I think the Four Kings, and Seath last.

As for weapons I use the Black Knight Greatsword and Eagle Shield, both obviously not upgraded to to the no talking rule.

Pete for President
01-21-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm thinking of making this forest hunter build: https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?b=YmFuZGl0LDQ5LDEwLDQwLDE0LDQwLDExLDgsMTAsMCwyLDI5LDQzLDMxLDI0LDMwLDE0NSwxNzYsMTA3LDU3LG5vcm1hbCxub 3JtYWwsbm9ybWFsLGNoYW9zLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCwwLDAsMCx3b29kZW4sd29vZGVuLHdvb2Rlbix3b29kZW4sM SwwLDA=

The gold tracer is great for killing an enemy quickly in 1 combo and has an insane bleedrate. I chose the hand axe as a secundary because of it's higher backstab/riposte multiplier and to be able to kick. It's stunlock abilities seem limited, but I read it's R2 attacks are the same as other axe's R1's. So in theory, the R2's should stagger pretty good. I shall test this. Oh, and the Hornet boosted riposte animation for axes look totally brutal.

As for rings, I'll probably switch between Hornet, Wolf and Ring of Fog.

It'll be my first physical damage only PvP character. If needed, Power Within provides a buff to compensate for relatively low damage per hit.

Jowy
01-27-2013, 01:21 PM
All of our desks could be a little more grossly incandescent! (http://studio.thekindledbonfire.com/)

Pete for President
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
That's a pretty cool statue!

I'm still loving the hell out of this game. Whenever I take a break to play another game I just come back twice as dedicated, start over, experiment with new weapons and challenges. How can a game be this good?

I'm a little saddened that the feeling of solitude and desolation that basically marked my first two playthroughs is now pretty much all gone, because there's not much left to explore and I know exactly what's coming and when. This review describes that 'lost feeling' pretty well (despite being IGN): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmLaLqYauTA

On the other hand, I still find myself surprised at some bosses. The Capra Demon still kicks my ass if I go in without poise, and the Iron Golem has slowly but surely become my favourite boss. Mainly because of the epic view of him when you look through the windows, and it's just incredible when you succeed in making him fall of the edge. There's a factor of unpredictability in this game that makes it just fantastic.

Here's hoping Dark Souls 2 will bring us even more death!

Edit: I'M USING THE WARPICK AND IT'S EPIC.

Jowy
01-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Warpick backstab is awesome. The Iron Golem fight is a blast, I agree. You have that nice little calm before the storm effect from the bonfire run to the fog gate, knowing full on well something nasty's lurking behind it. Lo and behold, you're greeted with an air blast right to the face. Picked up my other character recently and hit a brick wall. Or a golden fog gate, to be specific! I've already given up thirty humanity to the Fair Lady to open the shortcut, but I neglected to place the Lordvessel as I'm attempting to be a Darkwraith this playthrough. If I talk to Kaathe and place the Lordvessel, do I automatically join the Darkwraiths, or can I place the vessel, open the shortcut, and run right back to join the covenant?

edit: i gave up on trying tomb of the giants early. :aimcry:

TrollHunter
01-29-2013, 04:29 AM
Dark Souls PvP: Idling Hacker? No Ledge? NO PROBLEM! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0hV4JWonM)

that is all

Quindiana Jones
01-29-2013, 10:35 AM
I might be buying a 360 on the cheap here in China! It's not worth getting a new one, because they're still, like, £250, but I could grab a cracked one off a mate for cheap! While I wouldn't be able to do online stuff, I could at least be playing Dark Souls again! :D:D:D:D:D

TrollHunter
01-29-2013, 07:59 PM
In the end, nothing else matters

Jowy
01-30-2013, 03:31 AM
No issues with joining the Darkwraiths. Any PvP tips for a STR/FAI build? Suggested weapons, spells, techniques? I don't have anything really fun yet weapons wise...+2 Occult Gargoyle's Halberd, +5 Divine Claymore and +5 Fire Uchigatana. Have enough DEX to use the Iaito...probably gonna slap lightning on that. Or should I just make a Lightning Zweihander instead?

Pete for President
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Dark Souls PvP: Idling Hacker? No Ledge? NO PROBLEM! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob0hV4JWonM)

that is all

Hah! I remember that video. "Make a ledge!"

I might be buying a 360 on the cheap here in China! It's not worth getting a new one, because they're still, like, £250, but I could grab a cracked one off a mate for cheap! While I wouldn't be able to do online stuff, I could at least be playing Dark Souls again! :D:D:D:D:D

Awesome stuff!

No issues with joining the Darkwraiths. Any PvP tips for a STR/FAI build? Suggested weapons, spells, techniques? I don't have anything really fun yet weapons wise...+2 Occult Gargoyle's Halberd, +5 Divine Claymore and +5 Fire Uchigatana. Have enough DEX to use the Iaito...probably gonna slap lightning on that. Or should I just make a Lightning Zweihander instead?

Could you post your strength, dex and faith stats?

Since you can use the Iaito I assume you have 20 dex. If your strength stat is somewhere between 40 and 50 I'd recommend looking into non-elemental weapons to keep their scaling, and this way they remain buffable. If you have 30 faith, I recommend getting the Sunlight Blade or Darkmoon Blade miracles to buff your weapon.

Some tips, strength/faith specific:
- Magic Barrier or Great Magic Barrier can be a lifesaver when fighting sorcerers. Spells and the Moonlight Greatsword will hardly do any damage. Even Wrath of the Gods damage is nullified by these miracles. Be wary of lightning and fire, however.
- Vow of Silence is a great miracle to confuse the unexperienced. Enemies trying to cast spells (all spells count, including pyromancy) while this miracle is active will get stunned, and that means a free backstab or a free hit.
- Wrath of the Gods is imo a cheap move and I strongly dislike players I fight who use it, but it can get you kills. A ton of people use it though, so don't mind my personal grudge.
- The casting time for support miracles is pretty long. Only cast when you're sure you can't get backstabbed.

Some general PvP tips:
- The learning curve is huge, especially for dueling. People have tricks up their sleeve and you will die a lot.
- Lag can make backstabs look really glitchy. Don't worry though, you'll learn to avoid them.
- Poise is the most important defensive stat, it saves you from being stunned when hit. Get stunned and people can easily combo you to death. Aim to have at least 53-56 poise so you can withstand a hit from a greatsword.
- Probably the most important one: be patient. No need to rush in a host and two summons and think you can take them all three at once.
- The Undead Burg is where a lot of people duel.
- The Kiln is also for dueling, although usually there are a lot more gankers around.
- Darkroot Forest is where anything goes. Bring your biggest guns and cheapest tricks, because the host will be prepared and he will do the same. Show no mercy.
- Same goes for any other random area, although the host is usually less prepared. Your goal is to kill the host, no matter what. Although it is polite to bow when the host does and make it a duel. Personal favorite areas are the Catacombs, New Londo Ruins and the Royal Wood for their large number of very helpful mobs.

Quindiana Jones
01-30-2013, 12:31 PM
If I am able to play again, I think I'll go with a Dex/Buff build. I hope to god I'll be able to find a PtD edition, otherwise I'll be playing it unpatched and un-Ooaciled. :(

Jowy
01-30-2013, 05:39 PM
Only SL 55. Been pumping END a lot to wear heavy armour and keep midroll.

22 STR, 20 DEX, 20 FAI.

Considering picking up Sunlight Blade and Karmic Justice. Already have Vow of Silence, just need to grind to SL 65 to have the faith to use it. :aimsun:

TrollHunter
02-02-2013, 02:57 AM
So, recently started a dedicated aggressive spear user. It's been an absolute blast playing it like an offensive dragoon type character. Turtling is for girls.
Anyway, I've run into a problem. The gaping dragon. Now I hear you laughing, please hear me out.
Firstly, with a spear I cant cut off his tail because all my attacks go under it. No big deal really.
My problem is his jumping air attack. I can't dodge it. Well, I can, but it's roughly 50/50. He seems to just clip forward right above me even if I'm sprinting and rolling out of the way. Sometimes I dodge it fine, other times, where I do the exact same thing, he just ignores it and 1-shots me.
It's always 10minutes into the fight too.... and whatshis face is out of gold pine resign to sell, and im out of any to use, so I hit roughly half of what I do on past attempts.
Do any other people have trouble with that seemingly undodgeable move? Or do I just suck now?
I've already ragequit against him, I'll go back to fight him once I have +7 or +8 gear so it doesnt take 10000minutes just do get 1-shot.

This is just embarrassing.

Pete for President
02-03-2013, 03:56 PM
That is crazy. I can imagine not being able to cut off his tail is a threat, his tail swipe attack was the one I thought is hardest to dodge.

About his jumping stomp; weird stuff. I have been jumped on before and indeed it's usually back to the bonfire when it happens, but I never thought it to be anything but a fluke. The way I used to see it the Dragon just "relocates" to your position when you're far away. If you stay close, doesn't he just jump up and down without moving horizontally? Or is it a "rare" attack that can happen regardless of distance between you and the dragon?

TrollHunter
02-04-2013, 01:56 AM
I guess it's just a rare attack. His tail swipe put me at 1 hit point when I went back after upgrading my gear. It was a close one.
Anyway, update: This offensive spear guy is probably the most fun I've ever had. Beat O&S in 2 tries in offline mode, and it was such a fun fight too.
Soon I'll be getting the fork in the royal wood, and that will be awesome~

Quindiana Jones
02-05-2013, 01:22 AM
So, today is the day I find out if I can return to Dark Souls. Ohhhmanohmanohmanohmanohmaaaaaaaan!

e; SUCCESS! I now have a 360 that can run Dark Souls. I have the Prepare to Die edition, but I'll not find out if it actually is that game until I get far enough into it. I also bought Spec Ops: The Line, Far Cry 3 and Dishonoured, for those that are interested.

However, due to the STUPID nature of Chinese plugs and sockets, I need to buy an extension board before I can do anything. But that will have to wait because I now have to go to work. Gragh. :mad:

Pete for President
02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Welcome back :D

Been hunting the forest a lot and developed a love/hate relationship with it. I love taking down gankers, parrying them is the greatest glory in all of PvP and I land them pretty often nowadays. The big cats and giant shrooms are great allies, but sometimes I just need a break when there's too many ***** around. It's not just the gankers either - AFK Forest Hunters are the worst. :mad:

So I think I'll go stalk the New Londo Ruins for a bit :3

Quindiana Jones
02-05-2013, 12:45 PM
So, I managed to get everything plugged in and powered up, and OH WHAT'S THIS MY TV DOESN'T WORK.

Fucking China.

Pete for President
02-07-2013, 09:59 AM
Is your TV cooperating yet? :p

How come every time I finish a PvP build I get the urge to make another one? I recently finished this melee only forest hunter (which worked great for parries and looks very daunting):
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=124404300580989278

But now I've got my eyes on a low endurance superbuffed faith build:
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=350067492809777542

That basically means boosting all attacks with Power Within, Red Tearstone Ring, Crown of Dusk, Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, and maybe Sunlight Blade although that miracle usually results in people turtling for a minute.

As for weapons; Ricard's Rapier, Estoc, Falchion, Balder Side Sword and the Gold Tracer if the weapon buff runs out.

Edit: want to roll with Gravelord Greatsword Dance for ultimate flashiness.

Quindiana Jones
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Hehe, got the school to get me a new one. It's beautiful, man.

I like the look of those builds, Pete. Why the Knight Gauntlets, though?

I'll be running a PvE buff build when I get started. Gonna focus on Power Within and Crystal/Great Magic Weapon, using the Balder Side Sword (for the first ever time eheheheee!) and probably Ricard's Rapier when I want to be completely unfair to those poor bosses. I know I'll be rocking the Balder Shield for looks (plus it has great stability), but other than that I'm not too sure on what equipment to use.

Quindiana Jones
02-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Double post for EHEHEHEDARKSOULS.

Gotta say, already loving the Swag Sword + buff combo. I was running with the Drake, because I'm a newbie again and wanted to ease myself in. Met the butcher in the Depths (oh yeah, I may have blasted my way through five hours already :bigsmile:) and just could not take him down. I've yet to get back into the groove, so that simple bastard gave me a lot of trouble. So, I switched to the technically inferior Swag, because I wanted to give it a try, despite the fact that my Dexterity isn't yet high enough to knock its base stats above the Drake. Put Magic Weapon on it, and hello extra 100 points of damage!

Poked that butcher bastard to death before he could even get close. lu swaaaag <3

Gonna farm slimes for souls and Large Titanite Shards tomorrow, I think. Wanna get my Balder sword and board up to +10 as soon as possible!

TrollHunter
02-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Let me just post all of my builds~
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/11t8) (My "dragoon". She's a purely offensive spear user. None of that pokey bullcrap. She runs in and impales your ass. Super fun character when played offensively. Can't wait to try him out in pvp.)
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/11sr) (My first character that ever did PvP, He's gone through a ton of changes. He uses the BSS, SKS, Murakumo, Great lord Greatsword, chaos blade, AND MORE!)
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/11t5) (My strength guy. He uses pretty much every strength weapon in the game. So so SO FUN!!!!!)

I have a few others.... mostly gimmick builds, but they havent gotten far enough for me to put them up.

Also, guys, prepare you bodies. I'm starting my Lv.1 playthrough of Dark Souls this weekend~!
http://mmdks.com/11wx
I am prepared to die.

black orb
02-08-2013, 08:01 AM
>>> I was going to get this game today but it exceeded my budget by 2 dollars..

I went home empty handed :(.:luca:

Pete for President
02-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Gotta say, already loving the Swag Sword + buff combo.

Knight Gauntlets are purely functional :greenie: Together with the Hollow Soldier Waistcloth and the Wolf Ring they give the one of the lightest combinations of 53 poise - enough to not get stunned by a greatsword!

Nice progress my friend! Did it take long to get the Balder Sword to drop?

Also, guys, prepare you bodies. I'm starting my Lv.1 playthrough of Dark Souls this weekend~!
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/11wx)
I am prepared to die.

Good luck on that! The build looks solid, but I do wonder; why the fire crossbow instead of lightning + lightning bolts? Funny to see such a difference in playstyles, how's that East West Shield? I don't believe I ever equipped that thing :p

That is the most tragic Dark Souls story I've ever heard :cry: Hope you'll still get it sometime, you won't be disappointed!

Quindiana Jones
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Ah yeah, that sounds familiar. Bloody Hollow Soldier, though. That thing is ugly. :(

My equipment for the first, maybe second playthrough, will be focused on practicality, as I'll need the protection while I get used to the game again. Once my dodging and parrying improves, I'll start equipping things based on looks! :D

Took about a dozen runs to get the sword to drop, and another few for the shield. I was so pleased!

Just got through the Depths. Going to explore Darkroot Garden and Basin and take out the bosses there before heading to Blighttown. I really don't want to make the run down. Genuinely thinking of taking the shortcut haha. But I want to collect all the items!

TrollHunter
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Gotta say, already loving the Swag Sword + buff combo.

Knight Gauntlets are purely functional :greenie: Together with the Hollow Soldier Waistcloth and the Wolf Ring they give the one of the lightest combinations of 53 poise - enough to not get stunned by a greatsword!

Nice progress my friend! Did it take long to get the Balder Sword to drop?

Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/11wx)
I am prepared to die.

Good luck on that! The build looks solid, but I do wonder; why the fire crossbow instead of lightning + lightning bolts? Funny to see such a difference in playstyles, how's that East West Shield? I don't believe I ever equipped that thing :p

That is the most tragic Dark Souls story I've ever heard :cry: Hope you'll still get it sometime, you won't be disappointed!

Because i know nothing about xbows :D
Most of my gear will be fire till londo though, so theres that as well
Also, whats cool about lv. 1 is you still have quite a ton of options up your sleeve, so ill have a lot of variety with weapons, pyro, etc.

But yes, knights gloves kick ass
Low weight and decent poise
What more could you ask for?

Quindiana Jones
02-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Stray Demon.

Go fuck yourself.

TrollHunter
02-08-2013, 08:13 PM
The stray is a bit of a douche xD
Alright. Gargoyles down on Lv.1
Thank you solaire... that is the hardest boss in the game for me.

NEXT UP! Capra so I can get the large ember so I can venture into the catacombs.

Bosses down thus far
Taurus
Gargoyles
Capra Demon
Gaping Dragon

This Lv.1 stuff isnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Granted, I haven't reached Anor Londo yet, but still. I'm actually having a great time doing this run.
Next up: Blighttown, and no, not the shortcut. I much prefer the full way through it, it's more fun for me. Not to mention I want to grab the shadow garb ^^

EDIT: 3 attempts trying to get to the first bonfire later: DAMMIT BLIGHTTOWN I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2013, 12:53 AM
Hey, we're in the same place now!

TrollHunter
02-09-2013, 01:15 AM
You'll probably pass me up. I'm going to take a trek through the shortcut to farm up 10-15 green titanite, go through the catacombs to upgrade my hatchet to fire, and then go through it again xD
I'm mostly just annoyed with it currently~

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2013, 01:23 AM
I just finished a green titanite run, myself. Well, it was a large shard run, but those slimes are very generous. :D

Wish me luck!

TrollHunter
02-09-2013, 01:35 AM
I'd wish you luck, but luck won't save you in lordran.
Have fun~ ^^'

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Yeeey! My first time through Blighttown! This is the furthest I've ever gone in Dark Souls.

Blighttown wasn't too bad, actually. Balder swag +10 was awfully effective in there. Got through the whole thing in one life. Then, once I'd gotten to the bottom, I got a little reckless. I knew the bonfire was just around the corner, so I wanted to get there quick, in case I died. There was a blowdart guy to my left, who I decided to charge him to finish him off quickly. It worked, but I was poisoned. So, I decided to just blast it through to the bonfire, because I only had two Estus' remaining. I sprint past the enemies and round the corner, and there it is! Bonfire ahoy! :jess:

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to keep an eye on my health, and the toxic got me. Right in front of the fire. :mad:

Now that I'm in Blighttown proper, I have found a new nemesis. Waterwheel.

TrollHunter
02-09-2013, 04:43 AM
Blighttown is actually about 3 times as long as that, with a ton of enemies you have yet to see. Judging by the fact you had to take a waterwheel I assume you took the shortcut.
I mean, it's no valley of defilement, but it's still quite tricky.

Though, that toxic guy in the shortcut always gets me. Thank god they never respawn.

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2013, 05:23 AM
No, I went in through the Depths. I decided against the shortcut, since it was my first time. Quelana is dead, as is Ceaseless Discharge. Accidentally spent the points I got, meaning I can't afford the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring, so I may go back to the Asylum and try taking out the Stray Bastard again. I've got Power Within now, so my build is coming together. Wish I had Great Magic Weapon, though. :(

Shadow Garb looks mighty cool with the Gold Hemmed Hood, but I'm not willing to sacrifice my poise just yet. One day, cool outfit. One day. :D

TrollHunter
02-09-2013, 06:11 AM
I must have forgotten about the waterwheel in the normal route of BT, I apologize.
I say avoid the stray demon for now, even +10 weapons will result in pure frustration from that guy. I'd say put it off till at least after Sens fun-house.

So, I got off earlier tonight, but here's my progress for the day.
Taurus Demon - Dead
Gargoyles - Dead
Capra Demon - Dead
Gaping Dragon - Dead
Pinwheel - Dead

Not bad for 1 day pm a Lv.1 character if I do say so myself.
Tomorrow will be Kellogs, then I'll take on the fun-house. After that.... well, I'll get my lightning upgrades and go farm titanite chunks.... ^^"
Not looking forward to Pikachu and Snorlax for obvious reasons.

Jowy
02-09-2013, 07:34 AM
Stray Demon is cake with a +10 bleed capable weapon; I did it with both the Uchigatana and Bandit's Knife before Blighttown. Just stay on his ass at all times and avoid his huge area of effect fire spell.

Mostly done with the game again on my faith guy. Just don't wanna trek through Lost Izalith.

Pete for President
02-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I much prefer the full way through it, it's more fun for me. Not to mention I want to grab the shadow garb ^^

EDIT: 3 attempts trying to get to the first bonfire later: DAMMIT BLIGHTTOWN I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS

That is some great progress Trollhunter! Getting to the Upper Blighttown bonfire isn't too bad when you just dash through and make the jump for the Iaito! It's getting Power Within that always slows down my progress as I usually don't pack a bow to take out the freaky wall crawl thing and have to take the long way around.

I reckon O&S won't be too bad with Solaire helping out. Or are you planning to solo them for the extra challenge? :D

You're going fast, keep it up!

Or just throw dung pies.

That is an awesome tactic. I really should read up on which bosses are immune to what, and what I can exploit for lulz.

Quindiana Jones
02-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Nah, I tried dung pies. Not successful for me.

Magic Weaponed my +10 swag and just wailed on him two handed. Stuck to his right knee as much as possible. Only got hit once. Figuring out that the AoE attack has a short range also did wonders for my survivability. :roll2

Now I have my LingerRing and a Titanite Slab. As soon as I find the Very Large Ember, my swag will be straight to +15. I cannot wait!

I think I might grind a bit in the Valley of Drakes, then go take on Sif. Maybe get a few more levels from the Forest Hunters before taking on Sen's Fortress!

e; Oh, TrollHunter. There isn't a waterwheel on the Depths entrance. My post was unclear. I entered Blighttown from the Depths, then went exploring, at which point I found the waterwheel and was defeated. :D

TrollHunter
02-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I much prefer the full way through it, it's more fun for me. Not to mention I want to grab the shadow garb ^^

That is some great progress Trollhunter! Getting to the Upper Blighttown bonfire isn't too bad when you just dash through and make the jump for the Iaito! It's getting Power Within that always slows down my progress as I usually don't pack a bow to take out the freaky wall crawl thing and have to take the long way around.

I reckon O&S won't be too bad with Solaire helping out. Or are you planning to solo them for the extra challenge? :D

You're going fast, keep it up!

Or just throw dung pies.

That is an awesome tactic. I really should read up on which bosses are immune to what, and what I can exploit for lulz.

Considering where solaire is placed, he would just get distracted by the giants. It's going to take a load of attempts, so I'll just solo it, besides, I don't have that much humanity~
Getting to the bonfire isnt bad, I just kept having stupid deaths due to miscalculations in damage. Everything 2-3 shots me, so one mistake costs dearly.

EDIT: Forgot to update here.
UPDATE: Got through blighttown and kicked kellogs bum in 1 try. EZ PZ
Also got through sens funhouse without any trouble whatsoever.
Next up is Anor Londo.
But
I'm currently taking a break from my SLv. 1 guy, and I'm remaking my first PvP build to be more awesome.
It's really a blast. I'm playing it like a ranger. Sword and bow, my shield is rarely used. It's great~!
Currently doing a lot of jolly co-operation because it's been a LONG time since I've done any.

DOUBLE UPDATE:
so, best co-op EVER happened today. Nothing this amusing has ever happened to me before, and I was an avid sunbro for hundreds of hours.

I summoned a dude for kellog, and I had my bow out and my sword sheathed. As such, he "well, what is its" me and I know he's an awesome guy from the start. He pulls out his bow, and proceeds to just shoot everything.
When we reach kellog, we both take spots on separate parts of the room, and just pepper her to death with arrows. I think I swung my sword twice.
Mildred took all the aggro, so neither of us took any damage the entire fight.
Best
Co-OP
ever

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 05:47 AM
You're already through Sen's?! Son of a....

I've got some catching up to do!

As I said I would, I beat up some Drakes and had a great time doing so. On my first playthrough as a sorceror, I took them out with Great Heavys, but it took ages, and I think I only had enough for one. This time, on my second playthrough, I just buffed myself up and went to town. I was doing 700 damage in four or five hits, which ain't too bad. Need to get my Endurance and Dexterity up, really. That way I'll be doing more damage per swing, plus I'd be able to take more swings. I'm considering a suicide run through the Tomb of the Giants to get the Ember, but I probably won't.

Anyway, I will most likely beat up Sif today, and do a few levels' grinding of the Forest Hunters. Pharis is in the Garden too, right? Might go get his bow, since I'm running a Dex character.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of joining the Forest Hunters so I can get Shiva. His shield seems like it'd be pretty decent for PvE, plus it looks cool. Dunno if I'd want/need to buy anything from him, though. Thoughts?

Jowy
02-10-2013, 06:20 AM
Never hurts to grab a washing pole or two from Shiva before you do him and his bodyguard in.

I've been smacking people in New Londo with my +15 Zweihander of Cheapness enchanted with Sunlight Blade. Two hits, finish 'em with Wrath of the Gods, and get indicted.

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 06:53 AM
A Washing Pole? How come? I heard they were a bit useless.

TrollHunter
02-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Washing Machines always came off as quite stupid to me~
Now, buy a Shotel or two though. Best weapon in the game... period
By god I love the shotel.

but, in regards to sens, this is me taking tons of breaks.
If I went full on speed, i could easily make it to snorlax and pikachu in just a few hours.

Currently doing some jolly co-operation in anor londo on the remade character I made today.
I could seriously co-op here al night. I love it here.

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 07:19 AM
Are Shotels worthwhile for PvE, though? I was thinking of just getting a Fire or Lightning one, or some other type of attribute, for the occasional pesky turtle, but they don't seem to be all that common or unmanageable.

It really sucks not being able to coop. I've never faced Ornstein and Smough, but they look fantastic and I can't wait to try them. I'm hoping they're a disappointment, though, because otherwise I'll just spend my days wishing I could fight them again. :(

TrollHunter
02-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Oh trust me, once you fight them, you're going to wish they never existed XD

Also, no, shotels are not worthwhile in PvE, only really in PvP. It makes it so that you don't have to rely purely on backstabs for turtles, which is nice because I personally don't like to backstab in PvP if I don't have to. Just a preference thing.

Okay, after like 3-4 hours of getting sidetracked at Co-Op, I took down O&S. I can warp now.... but where to? Hmm.... what do I want first?

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Aye, that's what I thought. I'm offline only, I'm afraid, so it's PvE all the way. :(

Pete for President
02-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Never hurts to grab a washing pole or two from Shiva before you do him and his bodyguard in.

I've been smacking people in New Londo with my +15 Zweihander of Cheapness enchanted with Sunlight Blade. Two hits, finish 'em with Wrath of the Gods, and get indicted.

New Londo is one of my favorite places to invade! It always seems like no-one expects to be invaded since there is no bonfire. The element of surprise makes it an extra cunning scheme, harharhar :shifty:

I'm considering a suicide run through the Tomb of the Giants to get the Ember, but I probably won't.

Anyway, I will most likely beat up Sif today, and do a few levels' grinding of the Forest Hunters. Pharis is in the Garden too, right? Might go get his bow, since I'm running a Dex character.

Oh yeah, I'm thinking of joining the Forest Hunters so I can get Shiva. His shield seems like it'd be pretty decent for PvE, plus it looks cool. Dunno if I'd want/need to buy anything from him, though. Thoughts?

I think you mean the Very Large ember from New Londo ruins, right? Unless you want the large divine ember from the Tomb of Giants. If so, I wouldn't recommend going to the Tomb of Giants before you can warp though, getting in there is pretty easy, but getting out is such a pain. You'd have to climb both the Tomb and the Catacombs all the way back up. You could try a homeward bone method though.

Pharis is indeed in the Darkroot Forest, love his bow! As for getting trinkets from Shiva; it never hurts to get a Flamberge if you're running a Dex build. It basically hits as hard as a Claymore, and adds bleed.

It really sucks not being able to coop.

You and Solaire will fight Ornstein & Smough in one glorious battle! :greenie:

TrollHunter
02-10-2013, 09:52 AM
Got my murkumo. All I need now is to actually go and kill Havel... haven't really had to do that yet.
heh.
Getting off for the night though. It's like 3am xD
Been some time since dark souls has kept me up this long
Curse you Anor Londo co-op

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Oh yeah. Very Large Ember is in the Ruins. My mistake. It'll be a while till I get it, then. xD

Flamberge is a good idea. Any suggestions on the upgrade path? If I Enchant it, it'll scale well with my endgame Intelligence, but there's no point having two magic weapons. Might give it Lightning.

I've defeated Sif. I am a monster. :( But on the plus side, I have a load of souls to spend. Reckon I'll go have a word with Shiva! Pretty sure it's just the Flamberge I'll be getting, then I'll kill him. :radred:

e; Haha, was on the way to Blighttown from Andre's bonfire when I stopped to fight to Balder Knights - as I always do! Guess what one dropped?

Happy days. :bigsmile:

more e; Aaaand Sen's is done. I really love the design of this area, especially the top half. Great fun. I'm level 70, and I spent about four/five level up's worth of souls on upgrading weapons and new magic. Sorry Dex, but I'll raise you some other time. :(

Ricard's Rapier, Balder Swag, Flamberge and Iron Round Shield are all at +10. I absolutely love the shield. It looks really cool, and the deflection is very handy. I'm currently rocking Eastern Armor, Eastern Gloves, Gold-hemmed Hood and Shadow Leggings on my character. It looks awesome, and I'm going to do my best to keep the Eastern Armor on. I may need to make some changes once I get the Ring of FaP, which will replace Havel's Ring, but hopefully it'll work out alright.

TrollHunter
02-10-2013, 06:49 PM
HOLY jesus, Lv.70 and only just beating sens?
I'm usually Lv.70 or so at the last boss or in NG+

Regardless, I totally forgot about the flamberge. I'll definitely have to use that on this character as welll~
You could go lightning, fire, or chaos if you want. Hell, you could even go +15 and buff it.
I'd recommend the last option personally, gives you more options to work with, and you don't have to worry abut elemental resistances. (Unless for some reason the flamberge cannot be buffed... but I doubt that)

Quindiana Jones
02-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Aye, 70. It's a buff build, so I'll be taking it into the early hundreds; thinking 120. Means I've been doing a bit of grinding. Nothing major, but the occasional bit to even out my stats. :D

Yeah, I was thinking of just taking it to +15. Leaving it Normal will be particularly useful for Anor Londo, since I can grab some Charcoal and Gold Pine Resin and take advantage of Ornstein and Smough's weaknesses.

TrollHunter
02-10-2013, 09:53 PM
I do most of the leveling of my builds in ng+, where most monsters drop over 5k souls and bosses gives like 70k
My builds either go Lv.100 or 120, not much in between ^^
But wait... theres not even any good grinding pre-anor londo
where did you get all those levels if you were offline?

And... why did I never think of using those resins like that? Huh, it's the little things I guess.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2013, 03:43 AM
Mini-bosses, mostly. I've taken out the Moonlight Butterfly, Sif, the Hydra, the Undead Dragon. Grinding the Depths Slimes for Large Titanite and Green Shards got me about five levels too. Plus, I spent about an hour killing the Forest Hunters. They, plus the NPC invasions, are the closest I'll get to PvP, so I really enjoyed fighting them. Ended up spending about an hour there, haha. Don't know if that counts as grinding, though; it was too fun! It's worth noting that almost all the souls I make go on levelling, rather than purchasing items.

My favourite thing is that if they kill you in a frustrating way, you can just make them run off a cliff. The schadenfraude really cheers me up. :D

Oh, Pharis' Bow is also at +10. It's great fun. Usually I use standard arrows to pull, or to knock people off ledges from afar, but it's also really good in normal combat when you combine it with poison arrows. Made the ledge areas of Sen's go down a lot easier!

I have two hours before work, so I'm gonna try to blast through the start of Anor Londo and get to the Painted World! :D

TrollHunter
02-11-2013, 03:50 AM
Yeah, I figured you'd either be in lower new londo farming titanite chunks or in the forest.
It's easy to overlevel when you're enjoying yourself.
I went from the late 40s to Lv.70 today through co-op in anor londo and Tomb of the giants. I was enjoying myself too much (well, totg is when I stopped co-oping, it may be AMAZING souls, but it can be a tad boring). Sadly I'm out of the primary level range of most anor londo runs now. It's easily the most varied in terms of runs. So much can go wrong there, and that's why I love it.

krissy
02-11-2013, 04:47 AM
finally got past the archers
i just kicked the one on the right off haha
now i've opened the door near the circular staircase, the door to the dragon-head room, and got to what i assume to be the mist door before the easiest boss battle ever (from what i've read here heh)
anyway i want to invade that gold armor douche first, and get the fire keepers soul back so that i can revive that lady in the cage
i tried once but him and his cronies destroyed me

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2013, 04:55 AM
Indeed. It never feels like a grind. Even the Slimes felt like a nice break from the nerve-wrecking thrill ride of Lordran. :D

Entered Anor Londo and Ariamis. Two phenomenally beautiful places. Might spend an hour going through the Painted World to open the shortcut to the bonfire.

Got Great Magic Weapon. Fully buffed, my AR is about 500. Ehehehehee!

TrollHunter
02-11-2013, 05:26 AM
My murakumo unbuffed is roughly 460, and my dex is still quite low too~
Also, krissy, here's a tip: Don't try and fight them on the ground floor, they're nearly unstoppable there. Use the environment to your advantage. Get creative.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Maybe so, but I can swing twice as fast as you. ;)

I hear it's worth legging it towards the mage as soon as the fight starts. If you can take him out before the fight really starts, it can make the fight much easier.

I'll be heading down the well to open the boss gate when I get back from work. Will also explore the Annex. I'll return to farm the phalanx once I have some decent AoE attacks. :D

Pete for President
02-11-2013, 08:03 AM
I'm trying to continue another playthrough of FFX, but you guys posting makes me want to play Dark Souls even more.

Been working on that low endurance high dex/faith build. Currently level 40-ish and farming for a Balder Sword at Sen's; the thing just won't drop, even with the Gold Serpent Ring. Stuff is ridiculous.

Luckily the occasional invasion to subdue the guilty makes up for it. Sen's top level is an awesome PvP arena and AoE miracles like Gravelord Greatsword Dance make battles on the ledges really epic.

Edit: Balder Sword finally dropped. Farming Chunks at New Londo Ruins is next, while stalking the area as a Darkmoon Blade.

Quindiana Jones
02-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Come over to the Dark side, Pete. The Dark Souls side. :D

If I could get online, I'd give you one of my many Balder Swords. ;)

I'm thinking of doing a Strength/Faith build after or alongside my current Dexterity/Intelligence one. It'll be interesting, because I've not played with any strength or faith mechanics whatsoever.

Oh, I've changed my gear. Eastern Armor, Eastern Gaunlets, Shadow Leggings aaaaaand... Velka's Mask. It looks badass, especially with the Iron Round Shield. :D

e; Smough and Ornstein have been defeated! Got them on my fourth or fifth attempt. Balder wasn't working out for me as well as I would like, so I took Ricard's Rapier for a spin. Buffed and two-handed, I took off over half of Smough's health in one R2 combo. Didn't even take any damage, other than from Power Within. Super Ornstein was a little harder, as this is when Solaire died (like he always does :mad2:). However, he stayed alive long enough for me to get a few hits in safely, which dropped Ornstein down to about half health. The rest was just a matter of time, patience, and occasionally legging it behind a pillar to heal. :D

Shame I lost 40000 souls because I got killed before I could make the retrieval, though. :(

Jowy
02-11-2013, 09:43 PM
krissy, just kill him afterwards: there'll be a bonfire after the fog door giving you a mostly silver knight free path to run through between attempts. bring some healing miracles if you have any. you can blow up the sorcerer in a few attacks, backstab the spear guy when he charges at you like a fool, and try and land a riposte on mister dual-wield. he's got a red tearstone ring on, so be on your guard if he hits critical health.

TrollHunter
02-12-2013, 12:12 AM
How did the BSS not carry you through O&S? That weapon is basically their one true weakness bar spears.
2-handing it and spamming R2 just demolishes them, and it's normal moveset makes it viable for both super smough and ornstein :p

Congrats on beating them though. They always give me so much trouble.

ALSO, I highly recommend these two SL 1 challenge runs of dark souls and demon's souls. SLv. 1 in New Game +7. It's crazy, and the text commentary is very fitting and well written.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4jtMrCPV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqgcL6FbfE

Quindiana Jones
02-12-2013, 05:18 PM
I'm loving the warp ability. Very well implemented feature, I think. Just as the world starts to feel a little too large, you obtain the ability to traverse it more quickly. Nice.

Did a couple runthroughs of the Silver Knights in the hope that my Balder luck might pay off here, but all I got was their spear. It's a sweet little thing, though, and I think I'll use it in the Catacombs, since it has Divine adjustment. It looks awesome, too. I reckon I'll do New Londo first, however, since I really want that Ember. I'll give the Four Kings a shot, though if they give me too much trouble I'll just head through the Duke's Archives, since I want Big Hat's magics and gear.

Jowy
02-12-2013, 11:09 PM
You are gonna love putting Crystal Magic Weapon on your swag sword.

TrollHunter
02-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I never get defeated in pvp when I use a cmw swag sword.
That's actually why I got bored of it in the first place. It's too damn perfect.

Jowy
02-13-2013, 03:36 AM
So, I like to look stylish instead of being min/maxed. No helmet, bright ass short blue hair, witch's cloak, gold-hemmed black gloves, and chester's trousers. balder swag +15 main hand, crest shield/logan's catalyst in off-hand. RoFaP and Bellowing Dragoncrest. Fastroll looks sweet with a long cloak behind me.

krissy
02-13-2013, 04:12 AM
i think the first thing im gonna do after clearing anor londo will be getting the bss
but honestly o&s
where is solaire's mark? i've been trying to solo them for a while, but i think i'll just have to give up on that...
edit: i have no fire-power capabilites, i'm a pure melee/all into endurance build so far. i can do pretty good damage with the crystal haldberd, but i worry that if i don't try to non-solo them soon the thing will break.

TrollHunter
02-13-2013, 04:22 AM
I was using the BSS before it was cool :cry:
Also, the summonstone is where the archer is next to the boss fog. It's... not very fun to get to, and solaire likes to get distracted by the giants.

SO, small update: I had quite possibly the sloppiest 4-kings fight ever today, because I just wanted to get them over with. The murakumo was so not a good weapon for that boss as it made me get hit by every move out there. Coupled with the fact that I had to sacrifice my wolf ring for the covenant of artorias... it turned into a slapping contest where me and the kings just traded hits. Nonetheless, over 300 damage a hit allows a TON of room for error, and after downing about 15 flasks like some crude drunkard after finding out his truck got towed... I left depressed and annoyed but victorious all the same on my first attempt.
I'll have to do better in NG+

Jowy
02-13-2013, 05:09 AM
i think the first thing im gonna do after clearing anor londo will be getting the bss
but honestly o&s
where is solaire's mark? i've been trying to solo them for a while, but i think i'll just have to give up on that...
edit: i have no fire-power capabilites, i'm a pure melee/all into endurance build so far. i can do pretty good damage with the crystal haldberd, but i worry that if i don't try to non-solo them soon the thing will break.

do you have a solid +10 whatever and some charcoal pine resin to work with? learn their attacks and you should be able to put them away with at the maximum three of those.

Pete for President
02-13-2013, 08:17 AM
but honestly o&s

When you enter the big hall with the giants, run to the archer knight and kill him first. Then use plunging attacks to kill the giants. Afterwards, summon Solaire from the staircase the knight was on and you'll be good to go. Be sure to wear the Gold Serpent Ring when killing the giants; they drop Titanite Chunks. With those you can upgrade the Crystal Halberd or the Lightning Spear. IIRC, upgrading crystal weapons also repairs them!

Along with about a third of all PvP-ers :p

Quindiana Jones
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
You are gonna love putting Crystal Magic Weapon on your swag sword.

Indeed. Crystal Magic Weapon and Power Within are the keystones of my build, and I can't wait to get it completed.

TrollHunter
02-13-2013, 10:16 PM
but honestly o&s

When you enter the big hall with the giants, run to the archer knight and kill him first. Then use plunging attacks to kill the giants. Afterwards, summon Solaire from the staircase the knight was on and you'll be good to go. Be sure to wear the Gold Serpent Ring when killing the giants; they drop Titanite Chunks. With those you can upgrade the Crystal Halberd or the Lightning Spear. IIRC, upgrading crystal weapons also repairs them!

Along with about a third of all PvP-ers :p

Back during that builds prime I never fought another person who used it, and I would basically pvp all day on it ._.
Coincidence? Maybe.

EDIT: ALRIGHT!
all my worries about DK2 are gone. The new director really seems to get it. I'm pumped.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206

Pete for President
02-14-2013, 08:22 AM
EDIT: ALRIGHT!
all my worries about DK2 DkS2 are gone. The new director really seems to get it. I'm pumped.
New Dark Souls 4Gamer Director Interview [full translation now available] - NeoGAF (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505206)

That's a very reassuring interview indeed! HYPED!

Jowy
02-15-2013, 12:57 AM
4Gamer:
Might we expect to see some characters returning from the previous game?
Shibuya:
I can’t go into details about that, so I’ll leave it up to your imagination for now.

Phantom Dragon Slayer Ornstein has been summoned!

...we can only hope for something so awesome.

krissy
02-15-2013, 08:12 AM
speaking of ornstein

i met up with a large lady

oh man do my fingers hurt

thanks for all the tips guys. in the end i just got so down on the whole thing i decided to grind on the silver knights with my serpent ring, and they started dropping silver knight swords, which are pretty awesome. i couldn't wield it due to low dex, so i had to level up a bit, and then i ended up taking the thing to +5 twinkling, because i mean, the giant is right there... so i got myself an amazing weapon now, and i most of havel's armor and havel's ring (i dont even remember how i got this shiz) and went right on in. took ornstein down first, and had no estus flasks at the end, but i managed to solo those bastards...

aw man

someone wrote 'amazing chest ahead' outside of gwynevere's chamber
lol

black orb
02-15-2013, 08:22 AM
>>> Oooookkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy....

This game is killing me, Im really trying to give this game a chance but my patience is running short..:luca:

Pete for President
02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
>>> Oooookkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy....

This game is killing me, Im really trying to give this game a chance but my patience is running short..:luca:

But... patience is key in Dark Souls. Where are you at? Maybe we can help.

krissy
02-15-2013, 04:53 PM
i was way over-ready for sif, didn't even die once... which kind of sucks because it was a very cool looking boss. reminded me of okami. i joined the forest covenant kind of accidentally... can you join covenants again after you've de-joined them? does it matter?

Pete for President
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
i was way over-ready for sif, didn't even die once... which kind of sucks because it was a very cool looking boss. reminded me of okami. i joined the forest covenant kind of accidentally... can you join covenants again after you've de-joined them? does it matter?

Yes you can. As long as you don't kill the covenant leader (for some that's not even possible) you can always rejoin covenants. If, for some reason, you betray your covenant, you can ask for your sins to be cleansed at Oswald of Carim at the Undead Parish. When cleansed, your betrayal is forgiven and you can rejoin.

black orb
02-16-2013, 12:43 AM
But... patience is key in Dark Souls. Where are you at? Maybe we can help.
>>> In the very beginning. My best sword broke already, I have 5000 useless souls stocked and I cant do nothing with them, and I cant kill that fat demon thing no matter how many times I try..:luca:

Restart everything and create a new game? seems like the only option..

This game is just screaming "Dont play me!!"

Jowy
02-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Don't lock on to bosses unless you're gonna hit it with a ranged attack. Are you using a plunging attack when you jump down? Try two handing your weapon for extra damage after the fall; You're not gonna be able to block that big ol' hammer with a tiny shield anyway! Since you have a busted weapon and can't repair, I'd suggest just starting over. What class and gift did you pick, by the way?

krissy: gonna attempt the abyss first since you've gotten the ring, or were you going to head elsewhere? If you have the DLC, you are able to access the extra content now as well.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Hey black orb. I feel you, man. Dark Souls can be a little difficult to understand for new players (relevant: this is an "issue" that will be addressed in the sequel).

If I'm reading it right, you're in the Undead Asylum - the starting area - and you're having difficulty with the area boss, the Asylum Demon. What class did you start with? What weapon are you using? Are you fighting the Demon immediately after the bonfire?

Don't feel any shame about checking out walkthroughs, by the way. Dark Souls is best experienced without one, but sometimes it helps ease the strain, haha.

e; Haven't played for about a week. Been real busy, which is a damn shame. I'm somewhat troubled. I really want to keep my Eastern Armour on with the Mask of Velka, but it's getting tricky to keep myself under the 25% weight limit. If I keep my current setup, I'll need to take my Endurance to 53 to wear it all, even with Ring of FaP. :(

krissy
02-16-2013, 02:31 PM
black orb, is there a chance you are trying to fight this thing straight through the doors? there's a path on the north west side of the room that you're supposed to take to get out of there the first time you find the fat boss of the asylum
i don't even know if you can beat him without going through it initially... you probably can, but it's easier to get the jump on him from a place you're going to get to later on if you go through the door. the path closes after you go through it.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Aye, that's what I'm wondering. It certainly is possible to beat him straight out the gate, but it's damned hard to do so with a broken sword hilt. xD

Oh, very important question. Does Quelana sell a pyromancy flame? I forgot to buy a second one off Laurentius before he went exploring, the bastard, and I'm not willing to upgrade my Power Within one, since that would not be good for me. However, if Quelana sells a second one, I will upgrade my current one and use the other for Power Within.

Pete for President
02-16-2013, 06:07 PM
Aye, that's what I'm wondering. It certainly is possible to beat him straight out the gate, but it's damned hard to do so with a broken sword hilt. xD

Oh, very important question. Does Quelana sell a pyromancy flame? I forgot to buy a second one off Laurentius before he went exploring, the bastard, and I'm not willing to upgrade my Power Within one, since that would not be good for me. However, if Quelana sells a second one, I will upgrade my current one and use the other for Power Within.

That sounds familiar! I bring bad news though. Pyromancy flames can not be bought, they can only be obtained by picking the pyromancer class, saving Laurentius, or talking to Eingyl. IIRC Quelana does not give a pyromancy flame. I believe having obtained a pyromancy flame is a requirement to make her appear in the first place.

Now for the tricky part;

Getting 2 flames in 1 playthrough is a mystery. People claim it is possible, but I never got it to work. If you have the pyromancy flame by picking the class, Laurentius does not give you another one. If you get your first one from Laurentius, Eingyl does not give you another one. In fact, I never even got one from Eingyl, so I can't confirm myself whether he even gives out one. The wiki's say he does though, but I reckon it's only if you haven't saved/spoken to Laurentius, and there's an INT requirement too.

I tried many times to beat the system; dropping my flame before talking to Laurentius and Eingyl, putting it in the bottomless box etcetera, but never succeeded. If someone knows the secret, please share!

Edit: right, so since the big 1.06 update people also claim the damage received by Power Within no longer increases if you upgrade the flame. I don't know what to believe though, so I might test it if I have the time.

Edit #2: Also; HANG IN THERE BLACK ORB! DON'T GIVE UP!

Goldenboko
02-16-2013, 06:17 PM

That sounds familiar! I bring bad news though. Pyromancy flames can not be bought, they can only be obtained by picking the pyromancer class, saving Laurentius, or talking to Eingyl. IIRC Quelana does not give a pyromancy flame. I believe having obtained a pyromancy flame is a requirement to make her appear in the first place.

Now for the tricky part;

Getting 2 flames in 1 playthrough is a mystery. People claim it is possible, but I never got it to work. If you have the pyromancy flame by picking the class, Laurentius does not give you another one. If you get your first one from Laurentius, Eingyl does not give you another one. In fact, I never even got one from Eingyl, so I can't confirm myself whether he even gives out one. The wiki's say he does though, but I reckon it's only if you haven't saved/spoken to Laurentius, and there's an INT requirement too.

I tried many times to beat the system; dropping my flame before talking to Laurentius and Eingyl, putting it in the bottomless box etcetera, but never succeeded. If someone knows the secret, please share!

Edit: right, so since the big 1.06 update people also claim the damage received by Power Within no longer increases if you upgrade the flame. I don't know what to believe though, so I might test it if I have the time.

Edit #2: Also; HANG IN THERE BLACK ORB! DON'T GIVE UP!

You can definitely trade something to that stupid bird in the Undead Asylum for a second one I think.

EDIT: NVM, Eingyl will give you a second one regardless of if you have a flame according to this:
http://darksouls.wikidot.com/eingyi

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Nope, Eingyi didn't give me one. Laurentius didn't give me one, because I am a pyromancer, but I distinctly remember him selling one.

I have no idea if I have the 1.06. I have the PtD edition for 360, which I think took it to 1.05. No way of updating any further than that, either. :(

e; Right. I did a bit of the New Londo Ruins. Got the Ember, and took the Balder Side Sword up to +15 with the Slab I got from the Bastard Demon in the Undead Asylum. I think the Iron Round Shield will be next, using the second Slab you can get. I decided to leave the rest of the Ruins till after the Duke's Archives. To that end, I am at the third bonfire and I have almost bought all of Logan's stock. I'll use Seath's souls to buy Crystal Soul Spear, I think.

TrollHunter
02-16-2013, 07:49 PM
So, I'm planning on finishing up NG today with my remade 1st pvp build.
She has been kicking ass, and oh god it's so fun.
New loved weapons: Flamberge and the CLAWS
The claws are so SO SO fun to use, and they have easily the best rolling attack in the game. Mind you, they are worthless.... but my oh my what fun!

I've been using these weapons thus far
Murakumo +14 (It's one of my favorite weapons, it just rocks. 'nuf said.)
Silver Knight Sword +5 (love this weapon so much. Looks cool, is quite powerful, and I love its R2)
iaito +14 (Typically not a fan of katanas, but those R2s are SO SWEET)
Black Bow of Pharis +14 (Dat range man. Always keep it in my left hand.... always)
Iron Round Shield +14 (Love how it looks, and it isnt terrible either)
Parrying Dagger (For when I want to have some fun~)

Took out Artorias in two tries solo, no real issue there. The silver knight sword was perfect for that fight, I could squeeze in a lot of hits through openings I normally wouldn't have access to.

Next up is: Manus. I've actually never taken this guy on, except once I helped a guy co-op it... but that's about it. I'm going to take him on with Sif... obviously!
It's a very dodge-centric boss so I'm excited for it.
After that I'll kill every NPC, every fire keeper, and kill gwndolin. Then... I will beat Gwyn without cheesing him with Pyro (my last character) or parries (never used 'em yet...)
Then!!!! NEW GAME PLUS BABY~

krissy
02-16-2013, 08:41 PM
i loooove sks+5 great weapon
mostly i have feelings for it because it really saved my butt in anor londo though
but yeah great move set, really nice r2

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Indeed. It is a magical weapon, designed for the manliest of men, and I love it dearly. I use it for Darkwraiths when I'm bored, because POKEPOKEPOKE.

It's not really magical, because magic is for cowards, whereas the Silver Knight Spear is for MEN who like to bathe in the blood of their enemies.

TrollHunter
02-16-2013, 09:04 PM
The only poke the Silver knight sword has is the rolling attack, which I've found to be quite an "eh" rolling attack.
And the winged spear is obviously superior to that of the silver knight spear. It doesn't have stupid range that makes fights trivial and boring, and I like that.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 09:08 PM
SWINGSWINGSWING isn't as fun to say, and THRUSTTHRUSTTHRUST sounds stupid.

The Winged Spear is for women and children who are scared of their own turgidity.

Pete for President
02-16-2013, 09:09 PM
The one handed R2's of the Silver Knight Spear are awesome though. They work really well in R1-R2 combo's and make it feel more like a halberd rather than a spear.

TrollHunter
02-16-2013, 09:11 PM
I mostly use the winged spear and partisan, because they work very well together.
The only thing I like about the SKSpear is the 1h R2, which is really fun to use. I just think its far too effective of a weapon, and I got bored with it.

Quindiana Jones
02-16-2013, 09:12 PM
I intend to make a Lightning Lucerne one day. I've no intention to use it; I just really like the idea of having a weapon called Lightning Lucerne. I'll be making a Chaos Iaito for the same reason. :D

TrollHunter
02-16-2013, 10:29 PM
Manus destroyed me, got him to like 60% hp on this first attempt
....but
I ADORE this fight. God its so fun and intense! Why did I never do this fight before?

So, the flamberge is officially one of my favorite weapons in Dark Souls. Such a good weapon.
Beat manus solo with it, and now I beat Gwyn with it (No parries, no pyromancy, no cheese at all)
It took me like... 10 or so tries to finish him off, and I got quite stressed... but eventually I just put myself into a state of not caring, put on some fun upbeat music... and beat him instantly. Feels good.
New Game plus, prepare to taste flamberge~

UPDATE: SO, got to anor londo in NG+ and got my favorite greatsword... the great lord greatsword ^^"
Here's a picture my character. She's been through a lot, so mind the shoddy quality.

black orb
02-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Don't lock on to bosses unless you're gonna hit it with a ranged attack. Are you using a plunging attack when you jump down? Try two handing your weapon for extra damage after the fall; You're not gonna be able to block that big ol' hammer with a tiny shield anyway! Since you have a busted weapon and can't repair, I'd suggest just starting over. What class and gift did you pick, by the way?
>>> Ok, problem solved but I had to restart all over an create a new game for that.
Yeah, I was using that plunging attack when you jump down, but the real problem was the broken sword (the damage is too low)..
Unable to repair it and unable to level up in the very beginning of the game..:eep: what a welcome to the new unexperienced players!

I use the guy with the hood, I think is wanderer or something.. I picked the necklace at first but now I picked the master key, I heard that one is more useful.

I will keep playing the game from time to time but Im not crazy about it, you have to invest too much time on it..

Pete for President
02-17-2013, 09:43 AM
>>> Ok, problem solved but I had to restart all over an create a new game for that.
Yeah, I was using that plunging attack when you jump down, but the real problem was the broken sword (the damage is too low)..
Unable to repair it and unable to level up in the very beginning of the game..:eep: what a welcome to the new unexperienced players!

I use the guy with the hood, I think is wanderer or something.. I picked the necklace at first but now I picked the master key, I heard that one is more useful.

I will keep playing the game from time to time but Im not crazy about it, you have to invest too much time on it..

Hah, it sure is a bit of a rough ride at first :greenie: about the time investment, that is kind of true, but with a bit of skill you can clear most areas in under 15 minutes. It's all knowledge and skill my friend! One more tip: don't be afraid to do a suicide run in newly discovered areas. Dash through, remember what the game throws at you, and you'll know what to expect when you go in for a real excursion. It might get you some treasure too.

Also remember you don't have to fight every enemy. The point is to get from A to B(oss). No other enemy is your primary objective.

Quindiana Jones
02-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Hm. You should've had the opportunity to pick up your proper weapon, black orb. That's weird. Glad you made it, though, and good choice on the master key! :D

It's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DIE. :radred:

krissy
02-17-2013, 02:26 PM
yeah im sure you pick up the weapon for your class somewhere in the asylum before facing the demon... you found the shield, right?

TrollHunter
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Yeah to get up to the boss you pass by two glowing orbs... one of which is a shield, and the other is a real weapon.
The plunging attack with that should do about half the bosses hp.

Pete for President
02-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Picking it up is one thing, but be sure to equip it too :roll2

TrollHunter
02-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Okay, I forgot to kill all the titanite demons for demon titanite for my great lord sword before going to NG+...
SO I GOT TO DO THE FARMING IN NG+
Do you guys even understand how annoying these douches are in NG+? They take FOREVER to kill. They have about 4500 hp, and you do like 200 damage. NOT ENJOYABLE.
but ANYWAY, my GLGS is now at +5, and it rivals my murakumo in AR... wow. I love this sword~

krissy
02-17-2013, 10:09 PM
my lil bro showed me how to go back to asylum, and i cleared all the extra stuff there. didn't know the doll would be that easy to get but im not heading to the painting just yet (thought i have been there before). shame you have to reload to interact with snuggly, really.

jowy, yeah i am slowly figuring out my way through londo ruins. i have a ghost weapon now, but i prefer using transient curses. unfortunately, i had 3 ghost blades drop and no curses recently! i have the item drop ring equipped too, but i only have one transient curse left, so i think i may need to do some suicide runs to get those 'handy' items to drop :)

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2013, 03:08 AM
So, I've moved into a SWEET apartment but, alas, the TV is possibly the lowest definition TV in existence, making gaming damn near impossible. Will have to fix this.

I'm about to enter the Crystal Caves, which are damned pretty.

Jowy
02-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Crystal Cave is aggravating if you try and kill the butterflies.

The undead female merchant in the culvert has transient curses for sale if you run out.

black orb
02-18-2013, 06:36 AM
Hm. You should've had the opportunity to pick up your proper weapon, black orb. That's weird. Glad you made it, though, and good choice on the master key! :D

>>> I picked up the proper weapon for my class, but I over used it and it broke (is really that weird?)..:luca:

Looks like my next target is a nasty Minotaur I found, it killed me in like 2 seconds..lol.

TrollHunter
02-18-2013, 08:37 AM

>>> I picked up the proper weapon for my class, but I over used it and it broke (is really that weird?)..:luca:

Looks like my next target is a nasty Minotaur I found, it killed me in like 2 seconds..lol.
Yeah, that's really quite strange. I've never had a weapon break so early on in the game before :o
For the minotaur heres a tip: Find higher ground and make a leap of faith.

Quindiana Jones
02-18-2013, 09:33 AM
Indeed. I don't think there are even enough enemies in the Asylum for you to break your weapon on, although that does explain the 5000 souls. xD

If you picked up some Gold Pine Resin, it may help with the boss. ;)

krissy
02-19-2013, 01:24 AM
four kings are now zero kings hahaha
thankfully i had havel's set, cause i dunno how i would've handled that otherwise.
i'll either go down further into the lava place (i've stopped the discharge), or head to the observatory looking place in anor londo. i haven't even been in the catacombs yet. so much to do, so little waking time to do it in.

edit: tonight turned weird. i found a british smithy in the londo ruins and found a giant acid dragon, picked up the shield/sword before he killed me and i decided to leave him alone (he looks so broken already)

i headed into the catacombs, and the rebuilding skelly's were really annoying before i realized why they were re-deploying. made a covenant with nito and i intend to break it as soon as i have enough humanity to do the chaos servant covenant really quick. i dunno why but i don't like being a part of anything for a long time. i just don't trust any of these groups haha. anyway, heading deeper into the catacombs now. a lamp dropped from one of the necro's

edit 2: also i remember where i died and decided to turn off the console. it was when i was being attacked by the wheel skellys. they're not hard to kill but pretty annoying and there's a lot of them.

Jowy
02-19-2013, 05:15 AM
you could stick with it for the spells and weapon if you wanna grind out basilisk eyes! the lamp will help you shortly.

black orb
02-21-2013, 05:56 AM
Indeed. I don't think there are even enough enemies in the Asylum for you to break your weapon on
>>> Bonfire = infinite enemies..:luca:

Pete for President
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
I hope you push through black orb, it's worth it : ) keep us posted of any progress!

krissy
02-21-2013, 11:23 PM
http://www.adamcadwell.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/LEGO-Dark-Souls.jpg

thanks for the suggestion jowy, i did exactly that and got the spell. also it allowed me to actually explore the basilisk section of the depths properly (i wasn't good for it when i was going through it to begin with) and got the spider shield and evil eye ring (which is bound to be useful somewhere)

Quindiana Jones
02-22-2013, 01:44 AM
I've heard it's good for grinding babies.

TrollHunter
02-22-2013, 03:12 AM
I've heard it's useless unless you want to base a build around it like me. (Server + ring of evil eye + Sanctus)
So, it was a snow day today so I decided to hop onto my strength build. Got him to 48 strength.... demon greataxe is now mine. HAHAHAHA ITS GORGEOUS! Tomorrow I'll pick up the stone greataxe from the dlc and really start destroying some guys. I think I'm going to make him a slow walk (negative weight) build. ^^

krissy
02-22-2013, 07:06 AM
decided to explore blighttown swamp now that i'm moderately able to survive things, went thru the great hollow, found a gorgeous lake (and its occupant haha)
nito's down for the count
guess i'll head back to lava land next time i play

Pete for President
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
evil eye ring (which is bound to be useful somewhere)

You're right. It's a neat ring to put on during longer co-op stretches as a summon. It's an easy way to keep your HP up as a phantom and the host won't need to waste as much Estus in case you get damaged :greenie:

Edit: sheesh, just had the worst session of forest hunting in a long while. I failed almost every roll bs attempt, only parried three times and to make things completely ridiculous I missed the riposte on every one of them, resulting in normal r1 hits. I have no idea why. Just... no idea. :|

TrollHunter
02-23-2013, 01:57 AM
So, I started a new challenge run to force me out of my comfort zone.
No shields
Base vitality
no upgraded flasks
no kindling bonfires
no wolf ring
no havels ring

There we go, I just removed EVERY crutch I have in this game, and I intend to beat the game with it. This characters actually been really fun, and once he reaches NG+ I intend to make him a darkmoon blade.
Hes a faith/dex build, and is using the balder side sword (It's been months since I used it, decided it would be fitting for a playthrough to test my skill).
Also, I decided to get my weapon to +14 before even beating sens fortress ^^
Farming darkwraiths with no shield/poise/ or hit points is a nightmare by the way.
I may hop back on tonight, beat the iron golem and nab sunlight blade from gwyndolin. (I'll get darkmoon blade in ng+)

krissy
02-23-2013, 05:04 AM
im not sure that's in anyone's comfort zone

GOODLUCK DUDE!

Jowy
02-23-2013, 05:25 AM
about to experience NG+ O&S in a few days after I unpack. Armed with sorceries and pyromancy. +15 swag sword with Crystal Magic Weapon should still make quick work of them. My STR/FAI homeboy exists to just grief other players in New Londo and Painted World. With the exception of the very fine naked fellow with a dragon head and claws using Wrath of the Gods on the bridge of Painted World to immediately kill all invaders, I've been doing well with +15 zweihander with Sunlight Blade. Everything dies fast.

TrollHunter
02-23-2013, 05:26 AM
im not sure that's in anyone's comfort zone

GOODLUCK DUDE!

Thanks! So, sunlight blade is... oh my...
with my BSS i have about 300 or so AR... activate SB and it SKYROCKETS up to like 650
This is at SLv. 50 mind you! I 5 hit smough if I 2-hand my weapon! Too bad I get 2 shot by ornstein. God this fight is frustrating.
Taking a small break to make a darkmoon bow for the fun of it. It's a cool looking bow~

UPDATE: Still at ornstein and smough. Been trying for roughly 5 hours. Only once have I gotten to the second stage... This just isnt any fun.... this is the LAST boss I have to worry about bar gwyn, so this just smurfing sucks.

TrollHunter
02-24-2013, 12:29 AM
DOUBLE POST BUT I DONT EVEN CARE MAN
Beat PIKACHU AND SNORLAX.
Finally, the fun can continue!!! Painted world next, I kinda want to make the lifehunter scythe ="p
I won when I threw all caution to the wind and just started wailing on orney. I... basically cheesed super smough, but I don't even care.
Want my exact feelings, and my exact experiences with this? Well, watch this episode of Emarells SL1 NG+7 playthrough.
That was basically my run, minus the pyro of course.
Dark Souls: SL1 NG+7 - Part 4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udvahSR3byc)

krissy
02-24-2013, 01:11 AM
i love that series, i watched up to that point when i was frustrated at the same point you are, but i was in ng and i wasn't limiting mhyself in anyway hahaha :p

TrollHunter
02-24-2013, 01:35 AM
It is a great series, inspired me to make my SL1 run... who is still in anor londo. He can actually block though, so O&S wont be as bad on him.

So... I need the occult ember. To get said ember I need to get the annex key. To get the annex key I need to fight bonewheel skeletons in narrow as hell alleys. I've died 4 times already on the same bonewheel. I cant figure out how to do this ._.
EDIT: Make that 5 times.
EDITEDIT: Ahhh yeah, did it. Just had to be faster at attacking than the bonewheels. They take off half my health if they even nick me. Ouch.

Madame Adequate
02-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Went back to give this game another try, and it's really picking up now. I didn't enjoy it much at all until I hit the Undead Parish but once there, and now at the first blacksmith, it got a heck of a lot better.

That titanite demon beneath the blacksmith was a jerk at first but then crossbows occurred and, welp :shobon:

Now there's a glowy white doorway in the church and I don't know if it leads to a boss or not.

Anyway yeah point is the game picked up a lot and is getting good now.

krissy
02-24-2013, 06:43 AM
welcome to the party, that's where it picked up for me too... burg is pretty much stressful the whole time, but parish is interesting.

i spent tonight in the garden grinding on the forest saviour power rangers and invading sinners. kept hitting this scythe clad ghost guy and his golden retriever who kept doing me in. they weren't even cheap, they were just good. whenever i went after the retriever the scythe backstabbed me out of nowhere.

but i must've hit them like 7 times tonight... frustrating, cause i would've liked to hit someone i could actually take.

their initial method was, the ghost hides beside the stairs from the bonfire, and the golden summon lures you out, which i fell for like a sucker. should've realized the whole 'just stanidng here what up' thing was a trick.

good times though. i'm getting less freaked out at invading. it's easier in anor londo cause i know the place pretty well, whereas in the garden, i still dunno how to move around properly. but it feels like everyone in anor londo is tanked the smurf out.

moonlight butterfly shield made. not even one 100 defence stat... seems crap.

TrollHunter
02-24-2013, 06:55 AM
The Moonlight butterfly shield used to the most gamebreaking piece of equipment in the game. You shouldve saw the looks on peoples faces when it was nerfed to hell xD
Crystal Ring Shield nerfed! - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-/60852015)

And yeah, invading really takes you out of your comfort zone at first. I'm still not comfortable with it honestly. And those clever gankers :p
At least they taught you something through all of those beatdowns right?

Pete for President
02-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Anyway yeah point is the game picked up a lot and is getting good now.

I'm glad you gave it another shot! Have fun exploring : )

welcome to the party, that's where it picked up for me too... burg is pretty much stressful the whole time, but parish is interesting.

i spent tonight in the garden grinding on the forest saviour power rangers and invading sinners. kept hitting this scythe clad ghost guy and his golden retriever who kept doing me in. they weren't even cheap, they were just good. whenever i went after the retriever the scythe backstabbed me out of nowhere.

but i must've hit them like 7 times tonight... frustrating, cause i would've liked to hit someone i could actually take.

their initial method was, the ghost hides beside the stairs from the bonfire, and the golden summon lures you out, which i fell for like a sucker. should've realized the whole 'just stanidng here what up' thing was a trick.

good times though. i'm getting less freaked out at invading. it's easier in anor londo cause i know the place pretty well, whereas in the garden, i still dunno how to move around properly. but it feels like everyone in anor londo is tanked the smurf out.

Hunting in the forest can be tough but also very fun. I'm glad you're on the invaders side instead of the gankers :p

Some advice and tricks if you don't mind:

- Never trust anyone in the forest. As you've noticed the hosts and summons have tons of tricks up their sleeve. So don't bow when they do; it might be a trap. Always keep your guard up. It also helps to scout them a bit from afar and see what equipment they're using. Moonlight Greatsword? Expect magic. The Grant? Expect Wrath of the Gods, and so on.

- As a blue phantom, never trust red phantoms. As a red phantom, never trust blue phantoms. Whenever you invade a host fighting a phantom of different color, always make sure you keep the host in the middle of the brawl. Don't turn your back to the other phantom; sometimes they will just as easily kill you.

- The cleric NPC enemy is the most valuable of all the NPC hunters; he often casts AoE healing miracles which also heals invaders like you. Pretty neat huh? So stay close to him if you're fighting a host along with the npc's.

- Shooting gankers from afar with a bow usually gets their attention and they will often chase you. That's when you lure them to mobs and you should know where to find them; the forest npc's right at the starting area, the vegetables in the back of that same area, the giant kitties after crossing the back bridge (success guaranteed if you lure them here unless the host has already killed them) and 2 giant shrooms where the enchanted ember treasure is after crossing Alvina's bridge. Use them!

- There is a cliff to the right of Alvina's house which has a treetrunk lying close to it, followed by a rock. There's one particular edge where the other side is close enough to jump to. Try to get the hang of jumping to the other side. This can often be your escape route if you need to heal or rethink strategy. Gankers usually don't follow and even if they do they don't always make the jump. Place a message on the edge you feel confident of jumping from so you know where to find the sweet spot even in the heat of battle. It's a very spectacular escape route and it will save your life. :p

krissy
02-26-2013, 06:21 AM
great tips! thanks!

i haven't had luck connecting to anyone in the forest tonight, so i invaded sinners in the depths (what better place to stress someone out?)
does invading as a darkmoon have a level range?

anyway, cleared aramis tonight as well. as soon as i saw that thing in the courtyard, i thought of phalanx from demon's souls. cool boss. i survived by sheer luck honestly, and during the second half i only used humanity to heal. so that's why i was grinding humanity in the depths.

TrollHunter
02-26-2013, 10:29 PM
great tips! thanks!

i haven't had luck connecting to anyone in the forest tonight, so i invaded sinners in the depths (what better place to stress someone out?)
does invading as a darkmoon have a level range?

anyway, cleared aramis tonight as well. as soon as i saw that thing in the courtyard, i thought of phalanx from demon's souls. cool boss. i survived by sheer luck honestly, and during the second half i only used humanity to heal. so that's why i was grinding humanity in the depths.

You don't even have to kill the phalanx in the courtyard. Hell, I dont think I've ever killed all of them, it seems like a waste of time. But yes, it's a throwback to demon's souls.
Darkmoons do indeed have a level range, and I like the levels a lot more.
From the wiki
"The Blue Eye Orb can invade other players within co-op range upwards (10 + 10% of your level) and any level lower.1 This means a level 100 player can invade other players between the levels of 1 - 120."

So, once this week dies down I'll continue my base Vitality character. Next up is the DLC content (I always do it first for some reason). Then I'll do TotG, lost izalith, dukes, than the 4 kings.
Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn are the only 3 bosses I'm afraid of now.
Also, this is what my base vitality character will turn into when I prepare it for PvP
http://mmdks.com/19uk
Heres a different option if I go rofap instead (Unlikely as I dont like the RoFaP)
http://mmdks.com/19un

krissy
02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
fatigue caused me to stop in the crystal caves tonight, but big hat's out and about and i found onion daughter, so that's cool!

Jowy
02-27-2013, 07:03 AM
skeleton phalanx is wonderful. if you snap up Chaos Storm, it'll blow a good chunk of them up in one hit. hammered out 150k souls in twenty minutes.

Pete for President
02-27-2013, 08:14 AM
So, once this week dies down I'll continue my base Vitality character. Next up is the DLC content (I always do it first for some reason). Then I'll do TotG, lost izalith, dukes, than the 4 kings.
Manus, Kalameet, and Gwyn are the only 3 bosses I'm afraid of now.
Also, this is what my base vitality character will turn into when I prepare it for PvP
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/19uk)
Heres a different option if I go rofap instead (Unlikely as I dont like the RoFaP)
Dark Souls Character Planner (http://mmdks.com/19un)

Interesting build. Is it level 130 because of the Darkmoon Blade level range to invade?

I'd go for the RoFaP version, but swap out either the gauntlets or leggings for a piece of Thorns. Hollow Soldier Waistcloth + Gauntlets of Thorns gives you higher poise and as you'll know having thorns equipped is a nightmare for 0 poise mages and sometimes cancels out lagstabs. The 300 extra hp will make you a pain to take down. That said, i see no reason for the Havel's version other than looking slightly more evil :p

TrollHunter
02-27-2013, 07:35 PM
Partially, my builds are always 120-130 anyways. The 10+10% allows me to invade anyone anyways.
And im not going with the hollow warrior gear, as i care more about looks. I have a hobo build that uses it, but it doesnt match this guys character to wear a skirt.

Pete for President
02-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I figured the wanderer coat covers up the soldier wastecloth. It just leaves you barefooted. But I agree it makes most builds look... raggedy.

TrollHunter
02-27-2013, 10:34 PM
It covers up the waistcloth mostly, but it also like you said leaves you barefoot and barelegged. The eastern leggings look far more badass.
Thanks for the thought put into my build though. If I was shooting for efficiency my stats/gear/etc. would look totally different.
I'm shooting more for style :P
I may switch out the armor of thorns later though if I find something that looks better with chesters tophat.

UPDATES: I have infiltrated the DLC content and kicked it off with the sanctuary guardian. The first attempt was... hilariously sad. It ended in under 20 seconds.
Second attempt I destroyed him. My sunlight blade did NOTHING for my damage thanks to his resistance to lightning, but I took him down regardless.
NEXT UP: ARTORIAS!!!~!!~!~!!!~!!!!!
Who will win? Probably him... but we can't know for certain now can we?

UPDATE: Oh, this will be amusing. Let me just add a spoiler tag detailing each attempt.

#1: Well, I can use the excuse for trial run on this one. He 2 hit kills me, nice to know. I accidentally dodged backwards when he did a horizontal hit... took off 60% oh my health and finished the job

#2: Another sad attempt... I need to figure out proper openings and as such I'm experimenting. These experiments arent working out too terribly well

#3: Tested out an occult weapon of mine. Turns out the dlc spits on split damage more than I thought. I didnt even do 100 damage with my polearm

#4: This was a better attempt. Got like 35~40% of his hp down. Kept getting hit by the same attack, and he got a chance to buff. :\

May level a bit to kill time. This is going to get frustrating soon if I keep going.

#5: Not even worth mentioning

#6: BEAT IT! YESSSSSSS. Wasnt actually too bad once I took it slow and looked for those specific openings.

Okay, here are the openings I have noticed from watching other videos. This one in particular (It's the exact same challenge I'm doing but with a calamity ring on top. Dark Souls - PTDE - Calamity Ring Challenge NG - Assassin's Run - Part 5 (1/2) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCx8lvrq7k)
Here are the notes I've taken.

opening 1: Jumping attack (The one with all the buildup. Free attack basically)
Opening 2: Dash with sword outstretched
Opening 3: Spinning dash
Opening 4: Charge up (depends on distance)
Opening 5: Dashing slam down (downward slash)
Opening 6: The OTHER jumping attack (Unreliable at best, he can do this 1-3 times and can easily end in doom.)

ALRIGHT, BEAT ARTY!!!! Next up is... manus or kalameet. Oh man.

Pete for President
02-28-2013, 08:10 AM
That sounds intense, congrats! Did you know an arrow to the head will cause him to break off his buff attempt? Saved my life during a no shield challenge and had too little AR to break his poise 2-handing the Iaito.

TrollHunter
02-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes i was aware but its too risky
Also, ar isnt what breaks his buffing, its stunlock which katanas do very nicely. 2-3 hits would knock him out of it.

It was an intense challenge that made me think far more than any other boss so far.
Kalameet scares me though...

krissy
03-01-2013, 11:03 PM
cleared the archives, seath and me had a fun time for a few hours but i took him down finally.

got back to demon's ruins place or whatever, the lava place? demon firesage wasn't a big deal, but i think i'm used to the fat guys now... how many are there in this game haha

Andio
03-01-2013, 11:09 PM
Man I love this game.Makes me fell bad that I never played it on new game+.I loved taking out gankers in the forest(don't remember the name)

TrollHunter
03-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Man I love this game.Makes me fell bad that I never played it on new game+.I loved taking out gankers in the forest(don't remember the name)
Did you lose the game? If not there is Except, well... you know, every valid excuse out there not to go through to NG+

cleared the archives, seath and me had a fun time for a few hours but i took him down finally.

got back to demon's ruins place or whatever, the lava place? demon firesage wasn't a big deal, but i think i'm used to the fat guys now... how many are there in this game haha

The start of dukes is hilariously evil with base vitality and no shield. I think I'll do that area before manus or kalameet though. Seath doesnt scare me at all, I have him figured out. The snake people SUCK with these restrictions so that'll be FUN!

Madame Adequate
03-02-2013, 12:14 AM
I walked into where the Capra Demon was hanging out and before I could even raise my shield he did some massive overhand smash that nearly killed me. It was pretty amazing. Second attempt I did him in though if he had opened with that same move I'm not sure I'd have fared any better.

Then I got invaded and after an incredibly long fight in the sewers, got impaled and killed. Now I have to make my way back to wherever the hell my bloodstain is.

Andio
03-02-2013, 12:37 AM
I beat the game once but I pretty much rage quited on 4 kings on new game+.I swear its almost impossible.Besides that I really enjoy the game and might go back to playing it.:)

TrollHunter
03-02-2013, 12:46 AM
I walked into where the Capra Demon was hanging out and before I could even raise my shield he did some massive overhand smash that nearly killed me. It was pretty amazing. Second attempt I did him in though if he had opened with that same move I'm not sure I'd have fared any better.

Then I got invaded and after an incredibly long fight in the sewers, got impaled and killed. Now I have to make my way back to wherever the hell my bloodstain is.
Don't worry, the trek down there isnt really that long at all. It just feels long the first time.

I beat the game once but I pretty much rage quited on 4 kings on new game+.I swear its almost impossible.Besides that I really enjoy the game and might go back to playing it.:)
Do it with the same challenge I'm doing. It totally doesnt make anyone rage... nope, not at all.
But yeah, the 4 kings in NG+ are pretty brutal to say the least. I love NG+ though, it doesnt have all that annoying farming that new game is plagued with.

Andio
03-02-2013, 12:58 AM
What is this "challenge" you speak.

TrollHunter
03-02-2013, 01:02 AM
No Shield
Base Vitality
Unupgraded flasks
No kindled bonfires
No summons

You can read my earlier posts to see the kind of experience I've had. It's quite interesting. You're basically the ultimate glass cannon.

Andio
03-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Seems interesting but I probably would never get past the Gargoyles. I've played new game(not new game+)about 3 times and always die at least once on them.You can probably tell i'm not that great at the game.:D

TrollHunter
03-02-2013, 01:16 AM
The gargoyles still give me a ton of trouble. Bar O&S, they're usually the boss to give me the most trouble. That's why I put them off for a while. I had a +10 weapon before I destroyed them.
To be honest though, most everyone is going to give up at O&S.... they took me 2 days of constant attempts to beat. Its just crazy. For an idea on how this run works, watch this video. (He's using a slightly different version of the run, I customized it for me)
Dark Souls - PTDE - Calamity Ring Challenge NG - Assassin&#39;s Run (Part 1) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pArF4LmKVWY)
Now, this is a run mostly dedicated to those who find PvE too easy now. I've gone from new game about 3 times like you, and this run has truly tested me.
I set up this run to really prevent me from using the many crutches I fall back on when the going gets rough. It's a personal thing for me, you can alter it however you like.

IF you want a challenge run, but one thats still feasible without becoming a masochist, then try a SLv. 1 run. These don't limit you at all gear wise, and it's a ton of fun. The only key limitation is being level 1, and it isnt as restricting as you might think.
Watch this (hilarious) run for an idea of how one works.
Dark Souls: SL1 NG+7 - Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAqgcL6FbfE)
This run was done on NG+7, so his run is the peak of challenge for this kindof thing.

Andio
03-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Ah,you watch vageta too.I think I might start playing tomorrow and trying a soul level 1 play through. Finding this thread has revitalized my love for Dark souls.I'll check in here often.
Those dang Kings really turned me off,it will be nice getting back into the game.

krissy
03-02-2013, 01:29 AM
yay new people!

i am fighting bed of chaos and frankly this is ridiculous

like it's not even a skill based boss fight. i am mostly frustrated with the constant running to the boss. every area should have a shortcut to the boss, or a way to get there really fast. technically this one does too, and it's not nearly as bad as the trek from anor londo bonfire to the archers (where i stopped for like a month due to the stress) but i think it's my biggest gripe with the game.

my vitality is 13, i wonder if that's affecting how i have to play the game... i mean i'm sure it does, but that's irrelevant to this boss hahaha

edit: i just forgot to put the lava ring on and ran out there to try to get to the branch

i'll be right back i have to cry

TrollHunter
03-02-2013, 01:37 AM
yay new people!

i am fighting bed of chaos and frankly this is ridiculous

like it's not even a skill based boss fight. i am mostly frustrated with the constant running to the boss. every area should have a shortcut to the boss, or a way to get there really fast. technically this one does too, and it's not nearly as bad as the trek from anor londo bonfire to the archers (where i stopped for like a month due to the stress) but i think it's my biggest gripe with the game.

my vitality is 13, i wonder if that's affecting how i have to play the game... i mean i'm sure it does, but that's irrelevant to this boss hahaha

edit: i just forgot to put the lava ring on and ran out there to try to get to the branch

i'll be right back i have to cry

Your vitality is 13.... by the time I reach BoC my vit is usually like 30 or higher. 13 is only 2 above my base vit characters vit! Yes that affects your playstyle!
But yeah, the BoC is annoying. Its very much about being patient though. I take her slow now, and she gives me no trouble.

EDIT: I forgot to add a few other bits to my challenge.
No RoFaP
No Havels ring
No wolf ring

Since I want a quick-roll, I'm basically stuck at 0 poise. 0 poise + base vitality is a serious killer. Farming titanite chunks has never been so terrifying.

Madame Adequate
03-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Don't worry, the trek down there isnt really that long at all. It just feels long the first time.

It's less the trek and more those gross slime ooze things. They're not even tough, they're just disgusting.

Andio
03-02-2013, 01:49 AM
I guess I am new. I'll make sure to post on here to keep this thread alive,though it seems you guys are frequently posting here so that's great.nice to know we can discuss other than Final fantasy(for variety sake).

TrollHunter
03-02-2013, 01:53 AM
We do keep it alive~ Hell, this thread is where I get most of my posts.

ALRIGHT, so anyway: I've been farming dragon scales from drakes on my strength build lately... on ng+
Most frustrating thing ever. Good god this is annoying.

Madame Adequate
03-02-2013, 03:55 AM
WELL SMURF ME

After a couple of tries I beat the Gaping Dragon in and thought I was hot shit

Went on down into Blighttown

FAT SMURFS WITH HUGE ATTACK ARCS, POISON, AND KNOCKBACKS

FAT SMURFS WITH HUGE ATTACK ARCS, POISON, AND KNOCKBACKS EVERYWHERE

I just lost a pile of souls and more importantly a bunch of Humanity because one of those fat fucks killed me and on returning another one just smacked me clear off the platform

HOLY TROUT I AM MAD