PDA

View Full Version : Dark Souls

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Unbreakable Will
02-16-2012, 01:46 AM
Probably one of the hardest rpg's I've ever played, which is why I'm creating this thread for open discussion on good tips/tricks and item locations. If you've got any interesting tidbits on this frustrating game help a brother out!

Possible spoiler for the adventurous 'I want to find it by myself' types; Once you've gotten out of the tutorial take the rightmost path outside of the firelink shrine to the graveyard and hustle past the skeletal warriors (incredibly hard enemies with no rewards once beaten) to gather up all the items which include a magic resistant shield, named greatsword and lost souls.
Also, as a personal preference plug, the master key is incredibly useful in gathering better equipment/items and even easy access to areas throughout the game making it an excellent choice in the character creation.

As a general topic share some of your misadventures within the realm of Dark Souls.

Flying Arrow
02-16-2012, 07:18 PM
My favourite game of the last 5 years. The last thread on DS died pretty quick, but I'm glad to see there's another one.

Some tips/advice for beginners:

Don't be too scared to lose your souls. You will die and you will be surprised by things. Remember: you can always retrieve your souls if you can get back to where you were when you died. But even if you fail at retrieval and lose the souls forever, don't fret. By the end of the game, those 5000 souls you were so careful not to lose will be chump change.
You can do most things without taking damage. DS is not about tanking damage or attrition (although you can play that way too). Being observant, patient, and careful will almost always net you a victory.
Pure stats won't win it for you. If the base damage of Sword 1 is higher than Sword 2, don't just toss Sword 2 away. Consider attack speed and attack range. Also, make sure you test out the variety of moves for each weapon. Each one comes with R1, R2, L3+R1, L3+R2, running + R1, and running + R2 attacks for both single- and double-handed wielding. That's 12 possible attacks for every one of the hundreds of weapons in the game. Bottom line: try stuff out, see what works. Not all of it is useful always, but sometimes just 1 out of those 12 possible attacks clicks so well with you that it can carry you through whole portions of the game.
Also, be mindful of stat modifiers for each weapon. If you have a high Dexterity character, you will deal more damage with a B-scaling scythe than the Drake Sword. Stats scale from E (lowest) to S (highest). The higher your stat for a scaling weapon, the more damage you will do every time you level up that stat.
Parrying is difficult at first, but try it out on low-level enemies to get the timing down. But remember: only humanoid enemies can be parried.
Backstabs are great for a quick kill (plus more XP). Remember to be directly behind your enemy and have your shield down before pressing R1. Backstabs won't always initiate for you at first, but once you get a feel for the "sweet spot" it'll become muscle memory. Again, only humanoid enemies can be backstabbed.
For the easiest time through the game, my suggestion is that you pick a major attack stat (Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, or Faith) and go with it almost exclusively. Wielding some weapons requires certain values in one or more of the stats, but don't go out of your way to level up Faith on your Strength character just because Astora's Straight Sword seems cool. There are hundreds of weapons in the game. There is always one you can find for yourself.
In my experience, the most important non-attack stat is Stamina. Upgrade this often when you can. Stamina controls both how much you can carry before being encumbered, and how much stamina cost it takes to attack and block. At 50%+ of your carry weight, you can no longer roll effectively. So the more carry weight you have, the heavier the armor you can mix and match before becoming completely flat-footed (although, again, having a slow-dodging, high-poise tank is great for some people).
The Master Key. This item is the most useful for those who are already familiar with the game world and want to sequence break to find certain items out of order (which is a viable way to play and clearly designed into the game). However, it can also save your butt as a first-timer. All locks require a certain key to open, but most of them are unlockable using the Master Key. You never know when you'll find a much-needed bonfire behind a locked door whose key is hidden somewhere else in the level.

Yeah, you can get yourself into some hairy situations by accidentally walking into high-level areas early, but you'll also get a chance to see how the world connects. The great part about DS's world design is how connected it is and how many short cuts a player can find. Case in point: the Undead Burg level -more or less, the first place you're pointed to go- is completely optional if you know the game's layout. 90% of Blighttown -the place everyone hates- is also bypass-able.

ljkkjlcm9
02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
If you played Demon's Souls, be mindful that stat modifiers are not very important especially in comparison. A maxed out lightning/fire weapon will in almost all cases be better than a weapon with stat modifiers on it. Therefore, only raise your stats to the levels you need for the weapons/shield you want to use, then prioritize upgrading the weapon. I spent almost all my souls on upgrading weapons and was very low level and had a much easier time than my friends who had be leveling the entire time.

The most important stats are
Endurance
Vitality
Attunement (if you use magic)
I suggest leveling Endurance almost exclusively until you max your stamina. Maybe some Vitality thrown in there, and then just stats for the equipment you want. After you've maxed stamina and can equip all the gear you want (and attunement slots) worry about upgrading equipment and only increase your vitality. All other levels are essentially wasted.

I also suggest that even if you intend to be primarily melee, to invest in the pyromancy hand. It is quite obviously "broken" in that it gets stronger purely based on how much you upgrade the pyromancy hand. No stats affect it's strength so you can be very low level and EXTREMELY powerful if you upgrade it.

THE JACKEL

McLovin'
02-17-2012, 01:43 AM
Pyromancy bitches always just try to get close to me and one shot me. They try. Dodge that shit and critical attack on their exposed asses. But seriously they are annoying as hell. All the magic users are.

Flying Arrow
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
Straight up fireball chucking is just asking to be back-stabbed.

The most effective use of pyro in PvP I've found is Surprise Pyro! When I'm my DEX/Pyro guy, I wait until the other player gets into a spot where maneuverability is very low and then, boom, Fire Tempest. For maximum hilarity, try it on the rafters of the painting hall in Anor Londo. It's also useful in areas with lots of cover - step behind a pillar and as your opponent tries to strafe or circle around it - boom, Chaos Fire Storm.

Of course, you'll want to have a good melee set-up for the times you can't pyro (most times). My Lifehunt Scythe covers that.

krissy
02-18-2012, 12:58 AM
playing demon's souls right now

it's great
and it hurts so much
and it's great

EDIT: I HOPE THIS BUMPS

anyway i just melee'd red dragon using a meat cleaver

WHAT
LET'S OPEN UP THIS PIIITTT

krissy
04-10-2012, 07:10 PM
i finished demon's souls two days ago

62 hours

soul level 80 something

what a ride

anyway dark souls is coming to pc
Dark Souls PC confirmed, new bosses promised | Metro.co.uk (http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/895642-dark-souls-pc-confirmed-new-bosses-promised)

NeoCracker
04-11-2012, 12:03 PM
I was so excited to finally beat Dark Souls. The last couple levels were dissapointingly easy though, but on a whole a very challenging game.

I play games like this and see amazingly beautiful environments, some of the best on the system.

krissy
04-12-2012, 04:02 AM
Prepare For GFWL In Dark Souls: Prepare To Die | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/11/prepare-for-gfwl-in-dark-souls-prepare-to-die/)

should i wait for this or get the ps3 version? i don't know what gfwl is but i don't like anything with acronyms.
demon's relied on timing so much i feel like unless you have a dedicated gaming machine don't even bother with the pc version unless you like being mashed into pulp.

ill probably get the ps3 version anyway actually...once the price goes down a little bit.

Roto13
04-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Semi-related, the Demons Souls servers are shutting down on May 31st, so that's happening.

Slothy
04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
[i don't know what gfwl is but i don't like anything with acronyms.

Games for Windows Live. Basically Microsofts half-hearted (or assed) attempt at bringing Xbox Live to the PC. It is a pile of shit and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. That said, depending on the implementation it may have little impact on how the game plays (though I find this doubtful given the online nature of the game). I find it funny they're using it though when other developers have been abandoning it completely.

krissy
04-14-2012, 04:00 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2di3kxRjD1r6i4zco1_500.jpg

:(

let's tell stories.

I'll tell about the first time I let someone into my game, which was also the first time I got invaded.

I was once invaded in 4-2 while I had a blue phantom helping me out. The invader had a Meat Cleaver (I had never seen one before) and looked quite formidable, especially to me at level 30 or 40 with a +1 mace being my best weapon.

The blue phantom tried to take him out but the invader killed him with one hit. I immediately got a message saying 'sorry! he was too strong for me...lol' which was super nice.

Eventually I lured the invader out onto the footpaths on the edge of the mountain, right after the room with the first reaper. He started messaging me to drop my Adjudicator's Shield, or he'd take it and all my souls from me. I didn't think this was possible, but I honestly had no idea if he was bluffing or not. I decided to fight either way. He kept messaging first, being all 'drop 'em last chance'. I just kept my shield, it was a really cool stand-off.

I'm pretty sure he enchanted his Meat Cleaver, and I rushed in and rolled away after his first hit, realized pretty early on that the Cleaver was a really slow weapon and used it to my advantage.

As soon as he was done his attack, I came up close and started pummeling him with my mace. Got him down to 1/3rd health, but the bastard rolled away and started healing with Full Moon I'm assuming. I did not heal because I didn't think it was worth the grasses to heal during a PvP, and it sort of stinks of lameness anyway.

If he hadn't healed up, I would've had him. But eventually he broke my guard and all he needed was one hit.

Kept my shield and souls were all there on my stain though.

That was my first real experience with Demon's Souls servers. It showed me both the good and bad guys, and it felt great and real and seriously left an impression.

Goodbye, Boletaria bros. It was a great run.

Pete for President
04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
Bought it today. Played an hour and a half and like some of you who may have recommended Dark Souls in this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/139790-gaming-dead-long-live-gaming.html) I made a while back, this is definitely in the right alley. I chose the Wanderer class. I also kind of sense a Vagrant Story-ish vibe in several aspects; atmosphere, difficulty, learning curve, weapons and even combat. Might change though, cause I just started.

First boss battle got my heart pumping. Who else waited too long to drop down?

Fonzie
04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
If you played Demon's Souls, be mindful that stat modifiers are not very important especially in comparison. A maxed out lightning/fire weapon will in almost all cases be better than a weapon with stat modifiers on it. Therefore, only raise your stats to the levels you need for the weapons/shield you want to use, then prioritize upgrading the weapon. I spent almost all my souls on upgrading weapons and was very low level and had a much easier time than my friends who had be leveling the entire time.

The most important stats are
Endurance
Vitality
Attunement (if you use magic)
I suggest leveling Endurance almost exclusively until you max your stamina. Maybe some Vitality thrown in there, and then just stats for the equipment you want. After you've maxed stamina and can equip all the gear you want (and attunement slots) worry about upgrading equipment and only increase your vitality. All other levels are essentially wasted.

I also suggest that even if you intend to be primarily melee, to invest in the pyromancy hand. It is quite obviously "broken" in that it gets stronger purely based on how much you upgrade the pyromancy hand. No stats affect it's strength so you can be very low level and EXTREMELY powerful if you upgrade it.

THE JACKEL

Of course, lightning/fire weapons are the best at the beginning. But at later levels they become largely outclassed by the stat modified gear you can possess along with, let's say a CMW enchantment(magic) or BDM enchantment(faith).

Pete for President
04-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Hmm I chose the Tiny Being's ring as a gift instead of the Master Key, which turned out to be a bad choice since the ring seems to be pretty useless. Can anyone tell me how much class choice affects the character during the game? I chose Wanderer for example, although Thief seemed rather interesting as well. Would that make much of a difference besides the Master Key?

Flying Arrow
04-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Initial class only really affects your initial stats. There's nothing stopping you from pouring all your points into whatever you want. There are stat requirements for lots of the better weapons in the game, so if you want to beef STR just go and do it. Initial class is great for specializing once you know exactly what you're doing and where all the gear can be located. But if it's your first time with the game don't sweat it.

Fonzie
04-19-2012, 01:10 AM
Hmm I chose the Tiny Being's ring as a gift instead of the Master Key, which turned out to be a bad choice since the ring seems to be pretty useless. Can anyone tell me how much class choice affects the character during the game? I chose Wanderer for example, although Thief seemed rather interesting as well. Would that make much of a difference besides the Master Key?

Pyro is the most rounded, so to speak. Great pryomancy skills and a good ole' handy axe. Also, you're SL is one of the lowest of the choices. As for the Master Key; you can always buy one later on from a merchant after you fight a certain boss. He usually presides under the bridge(near the ring of sacrifice) in the main area.

TrollHunter
04-19-2012, 01:50 AM
I've been hooked on this game for a while now.
Though this game really takes advantage of my ADD, I get past the 4 kings and Nito on a character... and I'm like "hmm, that build looks fun, let's try that." Not to mention my love for co-op on this game has made me overleveled as crap on all of my characters.
Dukes Archives always grinds me to a halt, always. Those Channelers and archers man... I had no problems with that catacombs/ToTG, but this place is giving me a run for my money.

My favorite class varies between the wanderer and the cleric.

Anyone have a favorite weapon? I gotta say... I'm in love with the Balder Swag Sword, it's the perfect everything and the Murakumo has really been growing on me since I got the strength on my dex-based character. It has some amazing range on it, great scaling in Dex, and a weird yet pretty decent move-set.

Also, it really saddens me that Dark Souls isn't having too great of a port to the PC. I can understand why they're using GFWL sortof... because it allows less time getting used to a new system and more time working on the port, but I'm very cautious about buying it on my pc now...
Dark Souls PC: Prepare To Sigh | Rock, Paper, Shotgun (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/17/dark-souls-pc-prepare-to-sigh/)

Pete for President
04-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Initial class only really affects your initial stats. There's nothing stopping you from pouring all your points into whatever you want. There are stat requirements for lots of the better weapons in the game, so if you want to beef STR just go and do it. Initial class is great for specializing once you know exactly what you're doing and where all the gear can be located. But if it's your first time with the game don't sweat it.

Pyro is the most rounded, so to speak. Great pryomancy skills and a good ole' handy axe. Also, you're SL is one of the lowest of the choices. As for the Master Key; you can always buy one later on from a merchant after you fight a certain boss. He usually presides under the bridge(near the ring of sacrifice) in the main area.

Thank you both. No need to worry then : )

Yesterday I turned myself into the non-hollow form and witnessed the power of co-op at the Undead Parish. One of the crew members made very short work of pretty much every enemy in that cathedral, including the gargoyle boss battle. Now it haunts me, since I feel like I missed the opportunity to learn how to beat those enemies. Especially the big fellow in front of the altar.

I did manage to beat that strong guy on top of the tower as you enter the Undead Parish on my own using some lightning powder on my weapon. He dropped a Black Knight Great Sword, is that normal? Either way, it needs 30+ strength to wield, so it's far beyond my reach for now.

I feel like I'm getting hooked :shifty:

TrollHunter
04-19-2012, 11:01 PM
The Black Knight Greatsword is quite rare and isn't too bad... though I don't think it's worth for it for the stat requirements, the normal bk sword is better (at least to me). Though, I may be wrong, I never acquired it on my strength based character, nor upgraded it. (upon looking through the wiki, yeah I wouldn't say it's worth the 32 strength needed to use it)
At least on your first playthrough, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

McLovin'
04-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Black Knight Halberd is the best one. It rapes. Greataxe is powerful as hell though.

Pete for President
04-20-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks again for the advice. By now I have reached the Depths, in which I got PK'ed for the first time. He killed both me and my co-op partner. Went back to get my stuff on my own and all was well. Actually quite surprised I made it without too much of a struggle. That's what I like about this game, you learn so much in every area you actually feel proud. Back to the adventure:

I reached the bonfire right outside the giant rat cage, where I hooked up a new co-op party. I think they led me somewhere I wasn't supposed to go yet; the Gaping Dragon. I'm not too sure whether it was the chaos or my clumsiness, but despite having a hard time I miraculously survived the fight. Had to use 4 estoc flasks. Even my high-level party members seemed to be struggling. One of them gave me some equipment before the fight, including an evil eyes ring, armor of thorns and a wicked katana with a high magic stat. Thank you sir!

After the boss battle I used a homeward bone to go back to the bonfire so I can re-explore the whole thing. i remember seeing a big fence with a hole in it, and behind it was a big white-light-wall. I think that's where I should have gone. Either way, the 25000 souls rewarded by surviving the Gaping Dragon gave me a nice level boost. :p

ljkkjlcm9
04-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks again for the advice. By now I have reached the Depths, in which I got PK'ed for the first time. He killed both me and my co-op partner. Went back to get my stuff on my own and all was well. Actually quite surprised I made it without too much of a struggle. That's what I like about this game, you learn so much in every area you actually feel proud. Back to the adventure:

I reached the bonfire right outside the giant rat cage, where I hooked up a new co-op party. I think they led me somewhere I wasn't supposed to go yet; the Gaping Dragon. I'm not too sure whether it was the chaos or my clumsiness, but despite having a hard time I miraculously survived the fight. Had to use 4 estoc flasks. Even my high-level party members seemed to be struggling. One of them gave me some equipment before the fight, including an evil eyes ring, armor of thorns and a wicked katana with a high magic stat. Thank you sir!

After the boss battle I used a homeward bone to go back to the bonfire so I can re-explore the whole thing. i remember seeing a big fence with a hole in it, and behind it was a big white-light-wall. I think that's where I should have gone. Either way, the 25000 souls rewarded by surviving the Gaping Dragon gave me a nice level boost. :p

No the party led you the correct way. Yes there is some stuff you can back track for, but you can't continue on from the depths until you defeat the Gaping Dragon.

THE JACKEL

TrollHunter
04-20-2012, 10:31 PM
Yeahhh I usually co-op down in the depths to help people get through it. It's a fun place, and the gaping dragon, although predictable (after the first few times you die learning his move-set) is still a fun long boss battle.

But yeah, the black knight halberd is just intense, on the character I have with it, I can't use it 1-handed but it's pretty damn cool looking in move-set, and it's damage is ridiculous for un-upgraded.

Alright, I beat dukes archives and I FRICKIN' HATE ARCHERS BUFFED BY CHANNELERS, CHANNELERS BUFFED BY CHANNELERS, AND GAHHHHHHHHH
But really, after I beat the boss I went back to finish up killing Logan for his stuff, and it took me like 35 minutes of pain and rage to get back to him. I was impatient aafter the dungeon, so I just wanted to kill Logan yet in my rush I kept getting flanked, ganked, and shot constantly, resulting in much frustrating death. In the end though, I got his stuff... though I will probably only occasionally use it (I prefer my current armor set)
I'm trying not to level anymore and just pump all my souls into equipment... but oh man co-op is just so fun I have too many souls I don't know what to do with.
Well, onto The ToTG and New Londo ruins, I know these two areas like the back of my hand from past characters~

Current equipment set-up
Lv. 90
Armor:
Thieves Hat +4
Wanderer Coat +9
Black Iron gloves +5
Black Iron greaves +5

Weapons:
Balder Side Sword +14
Murakumo +12
Fire Murkumo +5
Black Knight Sword +5
Grass Crest Shield/Iron Round Shield
Rings:
Dark Wood Grain Ring (I don't use it during pvp)
Wolf Ring/Covetus Gold Serpent Ring

Pete for President
04-21-2012, 10:53 AM

No the party led you the correct way. Yes there is some stuff you can back track for, but you can't continue on from the depths until you defeat the Gaping Dragon.

THE JACKEL

Thank you for clearing that up. I just thought the rewarded 25000 souls and Dragon King Greataxe which requires 50 strength were a little high to be normal. This game is just full of surprises!

Pete for President
04-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Reached Blighttown. Falling has proven to be my biggest threat :mad2:

Quindiana Jones
04-22-2012, 05:07 PM
I really want to play this game now.

Fonzie
04-22-2012, 06:14 PM

It is the ultimate troll game. You should see some of the hate mail I've received. :p

TrollHunter
04-23-2012, 05:14 AM

It is the ultimate troll game. You should see some of the hate mail I've received. :p

Oh I can only imagine, It's so easy/fun to make people angry :D

Once you get through blighttown, I'll tell you a little secret :roll2

Pete for President
04-23-2012, 08:01 AM

Oh I can only imagine, It's so easy/fun to make people angry :D

Once you get through blighttown, I'll tell you a little secret :roll2

Aha! I'm curious, for I have just beaten Quelaag with the help of some co-op ghosts. Rang the second bell and descended into the Demon Ruins for a quick look, but turned back cause that place is creepy. I'm back in the swamp now and was planning to make my way to the massive gate the bells have opened.

Also, I got invaded and managed to defend myself successfully for the first time. I actually owned the guy (who was attacking with a heavy two-handed weapon) by just moving around him and stabbing him in the back twice. The battle only lasted a few seconds, which was a pretty epic win moment : )

TrollHunter
04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Sorry for the late reply, as I was busy working... on my mountain biking skills yesterday.
Alright, the secret is there is an easier way that leads down to the bonfire in the swamp and you only have to fight 3-4 enemies (not including mosquitos) to get down to it. I wasn't going to tell you this before quelaag though, that's no fun.
You need the master key starting gift (or buy from a future npc down the road), and the shortcut is in a tower in new londo ruins (right below the firelink shrine). I'm telling you this now because it will make future trips down there (and on new characters) about 15x less stressful.
Basically, the path will look like this
1) Firelink shrine
2) New londo
3) Valley of the drakes (where you can nab a pretty good dragoncrest shield and a decent astoras straightsword which if I remember correctly has decent scaling with faith :D
4) Blighttown, go down.

Pete for President
04-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Sorry for the late reply, as I was busy working... on my mountain biking skills yesterday.
Alright, the secret is there is an easier way that leads down to the bonfire in the swamp and you only have to fight 3-4 enemies (not including mosquitos) to get down to it. I wasn't going to tell you this before quelaag though, that's no fun.
You need the master key starting gift (or buy from a future npc down the road), and the shortcut is in a tower in new londo ruins (right below the firelink shrine). I'm telling you this now because it will make future trips down there (and on new characters) about 15x less stressful.
Basically, the path will look like this
1) Firelink shrine
2) New londo
3) Valley of the drakes (where you can nab a pretty good dragoncrest shield and a decent astoras straightsword which if I remember correctly has decent scaling with faith :D
4) Blighttown, go down.

Thank you sir, I actually already found the key to that door (I don't have a master key) and that shortcut is indeed very helpful. I took some time to explore the valley of drakes from both sides. There's one drake on a narrow ledge who - as I backed away to lure him out - did his jump/fly/spray lightning attack and jumped right off the cliff. Good times!

As I got back to the Firelink Shrine the fire keeper had died, so I can't light that bonfire anymore. I received an item to invade the world of the fire keeper's murderer, but was unable to use it. Any tips?

Flying Arrow
04-26-2012, 07:47 PM
As I got back to the Firelink Shrine the fire keeper had died, so I can't light that bonfire anymore. I received an item to invade the world of the fire keeper's murderer, but was unable to use it. Any tips?

I'll avoid a direct spoiler for now, so I'll just say that you'll know when to use it when the time comes.

Pete for President
04-28-2012, 11:44 AM

I'll avoid a direct spoiler for now, so I'll just say that you'll know when to use it when the time comes.

Aha! We'll see : )

I made kind of a mistake. I made it through Sen's Fortress as a hollow, and fought the boss as someone else's summon. After that I returned to the bonfire, reversed the hollowing and summoned some people of my own. As we were fighting the Iron Golem he grabbed me, killing me as his last few Health Points were chopped off by my companions. I was dead, but I did get the 'Victory' notification. After spawning at the bonfire I returned to the boss area. Instead of picking up my well-earned 30.000 souls I picked up the golden ring thingie first, thinking it was an item pick-up. But no, there I was, dangling from those weird creatures arms, only to be carried away while my green 30.000 souls faded in the background. Nooooooo!

Anyway, I'll get over it and this game is still awesome.

TrollHunter
04-28-2012, 11:35 PM
You can talk to the gargoyls who took you to anor londo and retrieve these souls, but its probably too late for that.

Alright, after about 3 characters who didn't make it too far (only dukes archives, and blighttown on the first) my fourth character has finally made it to the final boss... and dare I say, when you don't cheese the fight he is one aggressive and tough boss.
I've attempted him twice now, one with a great-magic weapon Balder Side sword, but as I soon discovered he's strong to it.
My second attempt was with my new love, my fire +10 uchigatana. Both attempts got him under half, with the uchi getting him slightly closer.
He's really fast, gives you no time to flask, has some 4 hit combos that really chip away at your stamina if you choose to block them... and he keeps the pressure on you constantly.
I've learned how to dodge all of his combos without taking damage... but eventually I screw up, get stun-locked, panic... and end up defeated when I try to flask.

Definitely a really fun, tense boss battle, and I can't wait to finally take him down.
My next attempt will probably be with my +15 Murakumo with some charcoal pine resign~
I'll see how it goes.

EDIT: ALRIGHT, that was awesome. Beat him with my personal favorite weapon, as it should be.
3rd time is definitely the charm, and with a bit more of an agressive tactic (chose to not stun-lock him though, that's no fun) With my murakumo, charcoal resign, and some green blossoms our good ol' buddy knelt at my feet in deFEET. I had literally 50 hp left when I killed him, and he had 1 hit left to take, and well, I managed to hit him before he hit me.
It was an amazing last boss I feel, and it was a very satisfying win!

Well, ONTO NEW GAME+ ^_^

Flying Arrow
04-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I made kind of a mistake. I made it through Sen's Fortress as a hollow, and fought the boss as someone else's summon. After that I returned to the bonfire, reversed the hollowing and summoned some people of my own. As we were fighting the Iron Golem he grabbed me, killing me as his last few Health Points were chopped off by my companions. I was dead, but I did get the 'Victory' notification. After spawning at the bonfire I returned to the boss area. Instead of picking up my well-earned 30.000 souls I picked up the golden ring thingie first, thinking it was an item pick-up. But no, there I was, dangling from those weird creatures arms, only to be carried away while my green 30.000 souls faded in the background. Nooooooo!

You can still go back and get it (assuming you haven't died somewhere else yet). Talk to the gargoyle perched at the spot where you were dropped off in Anor Londo.

Pete for President
04-29-2012, 08:22 AM

You can still go back and get it (assuming you haven't died somewhere else yet). Talk to the gargoyle perched at the spot where you were dropped off in Anor Londo.

Ah, I didn't know that. Once again I assumed it wouldn't be possible. But hey, I seem to manage in Anor Londo. It's good to be in a nice and light environment after the Depths and Blighttown. Looked up a tactic to get past the 2 black knight snipers though. That was a rough bit, but I ended up just dashing through all the demons until I reached the sniper on the right and waited till he bounced off my shield and off the ledge. Fought Ornstein and his big fellow friend as someone else's summon and ohohoh, this fight is awesome. I can't even imagine how one would manage on his/her own, but I might give that a shot before summoning a team of my own. There seem to be plenty of summon signs here.

Good times!

Roogle
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Hello, everyone. I am currently playing through this game. I usually shy away from Western or non-linear role-playing games, but I have been expanding my list of games since the Japanese role-playing game has declined a little bit. I am currently SL 35 and I am trying to beat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin to purchase a sorcery to get past the two dark knight snipers in Anor Londo.

To be honest, I am a little afraid of heights for some reason and it causes my movement on thin platforms to become erratic and slower than normal.

This causes me a lot of problems when it comes to those two snipers and I recently lost 18 Humanity and 350,000 Souls there. I don't have any problem getting Humanity or Souls because I am very good at fighting the bosses.

TrollHunter
05-01-2012, 04:08 AM
Oh yeah, the fear of heights was a mess for me at that portion to. Everytime...
But 350k souls at SL35?
Do you co-op a lot, or pvp? Because I can get 18 humanity... but that's a LOT of un-spent souls for that level :o

But yeah, that part is one of my least favorite parts of the game, not because I have trouble with it anymore, but just that you have to abuse the games AI to get past it.
Alright, how I did it... I ran up to the sniper on the right. When I got to the top section where you're between both archers, you dodge the arrow from the dude infront of you, and there's a section right next to the archer where the other guy won't fire at you.
From here a few things will happen...
A) the silver knight will be a complete douche and keep shooting you.
B) he'll take out his sword/shield, from here you can lure him to a safer area and try to knock him off, or just knock him off where he is and hope you don't suffer his fate.
C) he will completely screw you over, he'll take out his sword/shield, but will either hide behind his shield, or won't follow you when you try to lure him ending in him taking out his bow, and you're back to the drawing board.

Obviously you want option B.
It's a tense and stressful part, but it can go by in seconds if everything works in your favor.
Don't worry about the guy on the left, just leave him be.

Pete for President
05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Hello, everyone. I am currently playing through this game. I usually shy away from Western or non-linear role-playing games, but I have been expanding my list of games since the Japanese role-playing game has declined a little bit. I am currently SL 35 and I am trying to beat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin to purchase a sorcery to get past the two dark knight snipers in Anor Londo.

To be honest, I am a little afraid of heights for some reason and it causes my movement on thin platforms to become erratic and slower than normal.

This causes me a lot of problems when it comes to those two snipers and I recently lost 18 Humanity and 350,000 Souls there. I don't have any problem getting Humanity or Souls because I am very good at fighting the bosses.

I had a hard time there too. What I did is just dash through all the enemies from the bonfire to the snipers. Saves you a lot of time not fighting all the annoying demon creatures for souls you're likely to lose anyway. After dashing through, use Trollhunter's option B tactic or just try to hold your ground right in front of the knight. Keep blocking his attacks and eventually he will bounce himself from your shield right off the ledge.

Roogle
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I have a character build that does a lot of damage to bosses, so I simply put my summon sign down in areas like The Depths and I get summoned pretty regularly. I'm able to cut off parts during the boss battles with my spells, too, so I can pretty much fight the entire battle on my own. I upgrade my equipment to the maximum and I use the Souls to purchase consumables and other items so that I don't have to worry about running out of them at a critical time. I might upgrade the Pyromancer's Flame to its maximum level if all it costs is souls.

My plan to get past the archers is to simply wear the Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and cast Hidden Body to walk close enough to those snipers to push them off their terraces. I don't think I would do well running past them and trying to block as I don't like fighting or doing things like that in very high places.

I'll probably get back to it a little later this week after I reach 15 or so Humanity and embark on the journey to get Hidden Body.

Oh, if you are starting a new character and need help with certain bosses, please let me know and I'll help you out as soon as I can.

TrollHunter
05-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Oh I do all that too, I'm a co-op freak, but I tend to pump the souls into my levels.
Like, I'm usually about level 55-65 by the time I reach Anor Londo. ( I could get there by level 20 or so... but god I'm ocd about upgrading my gear, and I get oh so many souls from it)

That's definitely the far longer way to go about it, but hey, if it works it works. I wish you luck with that tactic, but if you have faith emit force can get the job done perfectly as well :D

I continued the first character ever did on this game. He's a greataxe user with massive strength and nothing else at the moment and I'm about to head to anor londo, just doing some last minute upgrading before I head there since I hate backtracking.
The greataxe is surprisingly fun, and since I'm actually fairly good at the game now I can use it properly. Also, I'm packing no poise on it because of the weight of my BKH, and greataxe (14), so pure light gear for now
Also, got enough dex to use the black knight halberd, it's glorious~

I know anor londo like the back of my hand, so that'll be a breeze (unless the part with the painting guardians in the rafters gets me on a character with no range on it)

Fonzie
05-02-2012, 02:21 AM
As of right now, I'm hunting as a Darkwraith in Kiln of the Lost Flame. Level 123, a spare six million souls, and 99 humanities.

Come at me, bros. :colbert:

Roogle
05-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I was able to get past those snipers with my plan. It worked effortlessly. I think I'll be all right for the rest of the game if I can deal with things like that properly.

TrollHunter
05-04-2012, 05:22 AM
I'm pretty sure there are no more things like that in the game.
Some annoying parts, but that's about it. Nothing that requires screwing over the AI, or sneaking past.

And Fonzie, I will NOT come at you, you scare me.
I have yet to really get into pvp... though I may on my Lv. 102 dex character. He has the right build and equipment to start... I just don't wanna get my ass kicked because I don't use shields on him anymore :o

Pete for President
05-04-2012, 08:31 AM
After 6/7 attempts of using the I finally managed to beat Lautrec. I ended up luring them to one of the first staircases and as soon as they came up one by one I hit them back off the ledge. That way they kind of took turns in coming at me and the mage's spells usually got stuck in the staircase. After about 3 3-hit combo's Lautrec was done for. Hurray!

TrollHunter
05-05-2012, 02:24 AM
So... not having my dex character use shields is interesting...
I'm getting a LOT better at dodging and parrying with my quelaags furysword in my left-hand though. Not to mention... I look like a badass :D
I got to the second bonfire in Anor Londo, and I'm taking a break for now. I die in like 3 hits since I use all light armor and capped my vitality at 30. I enjoy this game more when it's punishing~ Not to mention I et a hell of a lot better.

Also, I'm so so so so scared of NG+ Slim Jim & McBurger
They gave me enough trouble in NG, but I have a feeling that even with a shield I'd die on this version a hundred times.
They'll probably like insta-kill me D:

After 6/7 attempts of using the BLACK EYE ORB I finally managed to beat Lautrec. I ended up luring them to one of the first staircases and as soon as they came up one by one I hit them back off the ledge. That way they kind of took turns in coming at me and the mage's spells usually got stuck in the staircase. After about 3 3-hit combo's Lautrec was done for. Hurray!

I hate hate hate that part so much... gave me oh so much trouble.

Pete for President
05-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Uh oh. I may have done something bad. In the I entered the weird door with the Crest bought from the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish. The human-like ghosts in this area were hostile, so I fought them all. Then, I found Alvina, leader of the Forest Hunter covenant. I joined (who doesn't want to join a talking cat?), equipped her ring and was immediately summoned. After getting owned by two pretty high level players it was back to the bonfire for me.

I entered the forest again, unaware of the fact that joining the covenant makes the ghosts no longer hostile. My tactic was to lure the ghosts by putting an arrow in their heads. After slaying the cleric and the barbarian I pulled the same trick on a knight in the background. Little did I know it was Shiva, a forest hunter covenant NPC. Ofcourse, he turned hostile. We fought and I won. I'm banned from the covenant.

And it sucks, because I was superstoked about meeting that talking cat! Is there anything I can do to make it up? :cry:

Fonzie
05-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Uh oh. I may have done something bad. In the I entered the weird door with the Crest bought from the Blacksmith in the Undead Parish. The human-like ghosts in this area were hostile, so I fought them all. Then, I found Alvina, leader of the Forest Hunter covenant. I joined (who doesn't want to join a talking cat?), equipped her ring and was immediately summoned. After getting owned by two pretty high level players it was back to the bonfire for me.

I entered the forest again, unaware of the fact that joining the covenant makes the ghosts no longer hostile. My tactic was to lure the ghosts by putting an arrow in their heads. After slaying the cleric and the barbarian I pulled the same trick on a knight in the background. Little did I know it was Shiva, a forest hunter covenant NPC. Ofcourse, he turned hostile. We fought and I won. I'm banned from the covenant.

And it sucks, because I was superstoked about meeting that talking cat! Is there anything I can do to make it up? :cry:

Go to the church where you fought the gargoyles. You will meet a man and pay some souls to become forgiven. Shiva won't come back, but you will be forgiven and able to rejoin the guild again.

Pete for President
05-07-2012, 08:31 AM

Go to the church where you fought the gargoyles. You will meet a man and pay some souls to become forgiven. Shiva won't come back, but you will be forgiven and able to rejoin the guild again.

Ah thanks, that's good news. Will I miss out on anything with Shiva being dead?

McLovin'
05-07-2012, 05:41 PM
He won't be in Blighttown selling goods for you, which was honestly a lifesaver at lower levels.

Pete for President
05-07-2012, 07:10 PM
He won't be in Blighttown selling goods for you, which was honestly a lifesaver at lower levels.

Bummer. Fortunately I think I arrived at that place a little late, since I've already cleared Anor Londo and beating the Hydra, Moonlight Butterfly and Great Wolf Sif were a piece of cake.. I'm level 63 iirc. Took a look at a guide to see what goods Shiva would be selling and those are some shiny objects though. But hey, I bet those are obtainable some other way and there's always a new game I was planning on doing nonetheless. Now I'm back to being forgiven and joining the crazy talking cat again!

Edit: Got forgiven, joined the cat again and made a complete fool out of myself by invading 5/6 times only to be hopelessly defeated faster than you can say dark sou-. Once I even ran myself off a cliff while trying to dodge two knights. They must have lol'd.

Roogle
05-07-2012, 11:18 PM
After 6/7 attempts of using the I finally managed to beat Lautrec. I ended up luring them to one of the first staircases and as soon as they came up one by one I hit them back off the ledge. That way they kind of took turns in coming at me and the mage's spells usually got stuck in the staircase. After about 3 3-hit combo's Lautrec was done for. Hurray!

Lautrec did not give me as many problems as I thought he would. I was worried about the fact that there were multiple enemies, so I sniped them from afar with the Hawk Ring and a Longbow with Poison Arrows. They stood in place and got poisoned, but I grew impatient and ran in to test their strength. One of them dropped after being hit with Soul Mass and his sorcerer companion was hit with a Soul Spear and died shortly after. Lautrec and I had a good fight and I was able to win on my first try, luckily. I play a character with very powerful sorcery so many battles are hit or miss for me.

Flying Arrow
05-07-2012, 11:57 PM

I've seen just about everything in this game, but I've actually never encountered Shiva in Blighttown. Where does he set up?

TrollHunter
05-08-2012, 03:53 AM
He sets up under the waterwheel where you drop down the valley of drakes entrance. He's near one of those flame guys, leaning against the wall being awesome and stuff.
He sells some pretty nice stuff.

Roogle
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
And he only sets up shop if you are in that covenant or is it at a specific part of the game? I have never seen him before.

TrollHunter
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah, you have to be in the forest hunter covenant.
He doesn't exist if you aren't in the covenant.
If you want his stuff, pack quite a few souls.
This will tell you everything you need to know.
Shiva of the East - Dark Souls Wikidot Wiki (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/shiva-of-the-east)

Pete for President
05-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah, you have to be in the forest hunter covenant.
He doesn't exist if you aren't in the covenant.
If you want his stuff, pack quite a few souls.
This will tell you everything you need to know.
Shiva of the East - Dark Souls Wikidot Wiki (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/shiva-of-the-east)

I accidentally killed Shiva in the forest and took his items. When I returned after being forgiven the bodyguard was gone too, but his items (humanity + the ring that makes you roll fancy) were lying on the ground. Even though I never fought the bodyguard. Score!

Roogle
05-09-2012, 09:16 PM
Oh, I see. I doubt those items would be of any use to me. I am about halfway through The Archives and learned most of the remaining sorcery spells from Big Hat Logan. I suspect he will be driven insane soon by the time I defeat Seath the Scaleless. I can't wait to get that last spell. It sounds a lot better than Great Soul Arrow!

TrollHunter
05-09-2012, 10:55 PM
If anything I would look into the ring the bodyguard drops. It allows you to move at faster than 25% speed with a better dodge animation if you're below 50% weight load.
Personally, I think it's overpowered, but I still use it on my nimble dex characters and adore it.

Pete for President
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I just beat Seath the Scaleless with the help of two summons. One of them didn't make it, but I did get the Moonlight Greatsword from Seath's tail. I basically just waited in the back firing arrows and little else while one of my strong summons hacked and slashed it's tail. So now I'm farming twinkling titanite from the crab-people enemies and was thinking of heading for the Catacombs next. Well, I already made it to the Tomb of Giants once, but turned back after encountering the first giant skeleton in total darkness. Can I actually warp back to the Crystal Cave or will I have to go all the way back from Anor Lando to get there again?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out I can't warp back there.

Pete for President
05-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Met Patches in the Tomb of Giants. Who else killed him after getting back up to his spot? Anyway, progress is slow but steady, those skeleton dogs are nasty!

Flying Arrow
05-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Those skeleton dogs are obnoxious and can kill you really quickly too. On the other hand, they have way less health than you'd think and have a really limited aggro range. In a lot of cases, you can sneak past them even while they're looking in your direction.

Tomb of the Giants is one of my favourite levels. It's the most Dark Souls area in Dark Souls.

TrollHunter
05-13-2012, 11:07 PM
I agree, tomb of the giants is pretty awesome.
My least favorite area is dukes archives... god I hate that place.

So, I've been playing like only on weekends, but my strength build has beaten Seath and Nito
Now for Izalith(godddd) and new londo ruins.
The hard part of this game is over.

Though, I will never cheese the final boss with parrys, poise stacking, or any of that crap. I want to have an epic fight with a farrr slower weapon (Greataxe).

Pete for President
05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
I'm actually not too fond of Tomb of Giants and I liked Dukes Archives a lot better. Especially with the Crystal Cave at the end, that makes the place pure condemned-ness. I do get what you mean by Tomb of Giant is the most Dark Souls area in Dark Souls. I like the Nito boss battle, I've fought him as a summon a couple times to learn a strategy. Soon I'll try to beat him with a few summons of myself, as long as I don't get invaded cause this place is full of trolls. :cool:

TrollHunter
05-15-2012, 07:00 AM
I've never had trouble with Nito going solo. Heck, he's the easiest of the 4 bosses in my opinion. I also never run into invaders there, it's mostly in the catacombs. Just stay back at the start with a divine weapon and your main weapon in your off-hand (as in ready to swap with said divine weapon). The big guys in the back don't aggro unless you run up to them, so with a divine weapon you can perma-kill those first small skeletons, and Nito by himself is just a joke.

Dukes Arhives is a pretty area I will say, the sense of scale there is amazing... I just hate the channelers, the archers buffed by channelers, and just everything.
Since I barely ever up my vitality until end-game/new-game+ it was still around 20-25 when I went there, so the archers were near one-shotting me when buffed. That wasn't an enjoyable experience.

Tomb of the Giants is still really tense, but I know what enemies I can avoid, and what enemies I can run from now, so I can clear it in like 5-10 minutes from the start.
The one dog skeleton you have to fight makes me so nervous though, I one-shot him, but he can also one-shot me with his endless combo of doom and destruction.

Lost Izalith isn't hard, it's just long and annoying and red... very very red.
The bosses there look sweet though. Seriously some of my favorite bosses in the game aesthetic-wise.

Pete for President
05-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I just beat Nito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this finally felt as my own accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Looking back at several bosses on youtube I think my reliance on summons wasn't necessary at all, but the game's image of being superhard just got to me. Now that I've got the hang of it I would love to try a solo game.

Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!

EDIT: Have you guys seen this? With the right skills and knowledge in combat, navigation and item use the player can make this journey a lot easier for himself. This video is the prime example I think: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK09d1bk-oA&feature=related

I've watched a few bits from the beginning, some Anor Londo & Dukes Archives stuff. He beats Seath 55 minutes into the game. I think it took me over 40 hours to get there. It's... incredible.

Fonzie
05-15-2012, 09:25 PM
I just beat Nito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this felt as a real accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!

You shouldn't have killed patches, dude. He sells some great stuff later on when he becomes a merchant. :p

Pete for President
05-15-2012, 09:33 PM
I just beat Nito all by myself on my first try. Superproud, because I've had so many bosses made easy for me by summons this felt as a real accomplishment. And that Paladin armour is sweet! Now I've set out for the Painted World. I came across this secret area (as well as returning to the Undead Asylum) when I scrolled through a guide in search of a tactic for the annoying Silver Knight Archers in Anor Londo. Now I kind of feel bad not all exploration is done by myself, but I sure as hell would never have found the way to get back to the Undead Asylum. And how would one find the secret path to the Great Hollow without a guide? Stuff is crazy!

You shouldn't have killed patches, dude. He sells some great stuff later on when he becomes a merchant. :p

Unfortunately I didn't know. No regrets, but I'll remember it for my next playthrough for sure!

TrollHunter
05-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Alright, went back to my new game + character.
Now, remember, he doesn't use shields, because shields are for sissies. He rocks a quelaags furysword in the offhand for amazing looks and parrying.
And I just beat new game+ ornstein and smough without the use of a shield ON MY FIRST TRY ^.^
Oh that felt so glorious.

Pete for President
05-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Now, remember, he doesn't use shields, because shields are for sissies. He rocks a quelaags furysword in the offhand for amazing looks and parrying.
And I just beat new game+ ornstein and smough without the use of a shield ON MY FIRST TRY ^.^

I'm curious what other equipment you use!

Roogle
05-16-2012, 10:01 PM
I am not sure what my options are now. I have beaten The Duke's Archives at SL55 and I am not sure where to go next.

TrollHunter
05-16-2012, 10:57 PM

Balder Side Sword +15*
Murakumo +15
Fire Uchigatana +10
Black Bow of Pharis +something around 12 or 13

Thief Mask +9*
Wanderer Coat +10
Black Iron Gauntlets +5*
Brigand Trousers
(This is my usual setup, but when I'm in need of more defense I switch the top and bottom)
Black Knight Armor +5*
Black Iron Leggings +5*

Dark Wood Grain Ring*
Ring of Favor and Protection aka: RoFaP*

*I used this piece during the boss fight

My Vitality is capped at 30 to keep things interesting, with my dex and endurance at 40.
I'm working on my int to cap it at 25 for Crystal Magic Weapon, and it's at 23 right now.

It's a very fast, fun build. It's also quite fragile and I have to be quick or I die. I prefer it this way because it really keeps me on edge, especially in new game+
As an obvious side effect, I die quite often due to the low HP and lack of Shield (Missed parries man... they hurt)
I adore this build, don't know if I'll take it into pvp though... I may.

EDIT: Roogle, what areas have you cleared?
The 4 boss areas are as listed.
Dukes Archives ~> Crystal Cave
New Londo Ruins ~> Drained New Londo Ruins/Abyss (you have to kill the darkwood forest boss though, hint: not the butterfly)
Blighttown ~> Lost Izalith
and then Catacombs ~> Tomb of the Giants

With all of these cleared you feed the souls to the LordVessel.

Pete for President
05-17-2012, 10:42 PM

Balder Side Sword +15*
Murakumo +15
Fire Uchigatana +10
Black Bow of Pharis +something around 12 or 13

Thief Mask +9*
Wanderer Coat +10
Black Iron Gauntlets +5*
Brigand Trousers
(This is my usual setup, but when I'm in need of more defense I switch the top and bottom)
Black Knight Armor +5*
Black Iron Leggings +5*

Dark Wood Grain Ring*
Ring of Favor and Protection aka: RoFaP*

*I used this piece during the boss fight

My Vitality is capped at 30 to keep things interesting, with my dex and endurance at 40.
I'm working on my int to cap it at 25 for Crystal Magic Weapon, and it's at 23 right now.

It's a very fast, fun build. It's also quite fragile and I have to be quick or I die. I prefer it this way because it really keeps me on edge, especially in new game+
As an obvious side effect, I die quite often due to the low HP and lack of Shield (Missed parries man... they hurt)
I adore this build, don't know if I'll take it into pvp though... I may.

That sounds like a real challenge. From my experience I always encounter invaders with either destructive magic/pyromancy or the tank & smash build, but never the nimble warriors, let alone archers. I might do a no-shield run in the future too, it sounds really awesome!

As for my progress; I've reached , where unfortunately the Catarina Knight died of poison after we fought the weird creatures in the collapsing room. Did get that nifty speckled ring.

TrollHunter
05-17-2012, 11:02 PM
There are a lot of nimble builds in pvp actually, but so many people go with those first 2 you listed, or a hybrid of them.
Archers barely work in pvp, but you can have some fun with it if you know what you're doing!
Dark Souls PvP Assholery 6-Dragon Bow Baiting/Sneaky Avelyn- (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzSPeXGiss)
Subscribe to this guy if you enjoy watching pvp videos, I love his videos quite a lot.

It's a very enjoyable challenge, and after about 5 billion deaths in the catacombs and Tomb Of the Giants I beat Nito (first try... -sigh-)and am now cowering in a small corner afraid of every other area.
This no-shield thing is really starting to reach it's outrageously difficult parts.
I recommend giving it a shot though, it's quite a lot of fun (Though a lot more viable in early NG+)
I would also recommend the dark-wood grain ring asap in that kind of build, since your only form of defense is dodging and parrying.
The parrying dagger and quelaags furysword work great, though go with what's light and looks coolest.
A good bow is also a godsend in certain parts of the game, where I would recommend the long-bow or Black Bow of Pharis.
Start with the thief or wanderer class, and try to stick below 25% weight until you get the dark-wood ring. Then you can really free up your armor.
You want a quick short-range weapon, I weapon with more range, and one with some uumph for staggering tougher enemies.
Obviously, a dex build is the most viable, or an hp gauged elemental weapon build (though the latter really takes away a bit of the charm)
If you want even more of a challenge, play it like I am and cap your vitality at 30. Oh you'll get good at dodging really fast.
For rings other than the dark-wood, I would go with Havels, Clover, Wolf Ring (a MUST at certain points), and maybe hornets ring if you get confident with parries and backstabs.
It's a lot of fun, and also, do it without summons for the full effect. You will definitely see the bosses in a new light if you do so.

Pete for President
05-18-2012, 09:07 AM
There are a lot of nimble builds in pvp actually, but so many people go with those first 2 you listed, or a hybrid of them.
Archers barely work in pvp, but you can have some fun with it if you know what you're doing!
Dark Souls PvP Assholery 6-Dragon Bow Baiting/Sneaky Avelyn- (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlzSPeXGiss)
Subscribe to this guy if you enjoy watching pvp videos, I love his videos quite a lot.

That video is awesome! I think I need to get creative in PvP...

Roogle
05-18-2012, 09:31 PM
Where do I have the best chance of being summoned at SL55? I was around Anor Londo a few nights ago, but the pickings may have been slim because of the release of Diablo III.

TrollHunter
05-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Anor Londo is good, also the Iron Golem, and perhaps Nito.
55 gives you a lot of areas to work with.

Pete for President
05-20-2012, 07:27 PM
I've beaten the 4 Kings, which makes me ready to go lighten up the lordvessel and finish this epic game.

I've also done some major upgrading and weapon testing. I made a Fire Rapier +10 and combined with the Hornet Ring and a parrying dagger in the left hand it obliterates any humanoid enemy. Parrying counters do about 1800-2k(!) damage on the Undead Parish enemies, and about 1400 on the Silver Knights in Anor Londo.

Also upgraded the Black Knight Sword to +5, which I find very handy for fighting Anor Londo giants and other big, heavy enemies.

Last but not least I have a Divine Uchigatana +10 which I use for anything Undead, but the bleeding aspect makes it work for Drakes and other monsters too.

TrollHunter
05-20-2012, 07:36 PM
I never use the hornets ring, makes things die too fast.
I am however working on easily the weakest build I've ever done...
The greatsword of artorias build.
This character requires you to spread your levels out so thin that when you reach a boss, you're basically poking them with a stick.
Regardless, when the build reaches higher levels, it'll really start to flesh out and become awesome.
It's a jack of all trades and master of none.
I'm aiming for
Vit: 35
End: 40
Att: 16
Str: 24
Dex: 18
Int: 20
Faith: 40
Can't remember what level that would be at but it's around the 115~125 range.
It's a novelty build for sure, but I will make it succeed.

EDIT: I'm currently doing pre-upgrading before I tackle sens fortress. Other than my first character, this is by far the slowest moving character I have (story wise, she's under 25% weight)
I die a lot to bosses, and my hp is like 15... so anything can and does slaughter me.
It's a brutal start, and I deal near no damage, but hopefully if I acquire some elemental weapons it'll stop being so outrageously brutal.

Pete for President
05-21-2012, 09:21 PM
I never use the hornets ring, makes things die too fast.

I get it now. After dying 5 times to Gwyn, I looked up a tactic real quick and it made my new favorite weapon & equipment setup pretty useful. Had no clue you could parry the final boss, and man oh man he went down quick. 3 hits a-la 1500 damage with the hornet ring and fire rapier.

Though quick, the final battle was not disappointing at all. After all, I fought brave but helplessly on my first 5 tries. The way leading up to it was exactly how I wanted it to be; no traps, no complicated puzzles, no large mobs or other frustrating things, just pure 1 on 1 brawls. When I traversed the white light and the music started playing I could really appreciate this game's lack of words. Some things don't need to be explained in dialogue. I've come a long way, we both know what we're gonna do now we're face to face and that's duke it out. Get it over with.

Although I do have questions about what happens after the fight. I lit the bonfire, and I was... set on fire? Will I one day face the same fate as Lord Gwyn? Is the whole story and history a loop? Maybe I've forgotten what I set out for in the first place, but you can't blame me after 68 hours of (epic) gameplay. Anyway, maybe I'll find out on new game+! Or I'll start a brand new mage character :roll2 Maybe a no-summon run too! Ah, so much to do.

EDIT: Oh, and I love how a all NPC's developed in such a simplistic, but moving way. I was actually moved when I found witch Beatrice's body (we never spoke a word, we just fought alongside each other), when I unwillingly had to fight the Pyromancer friend and later on Solaire, and of course the Catarina knight who met his fate helping me in Lost Izalith. Well, on this playthrough at least. Maybe I'll keep some of them alive next time.

Roogle
05-21-2012, 10:30 PM
I dislike the fate that awaits most of the non-player characters in Firelink Shrine. I try to keep them safe. For example, I never tell the Pyromancer friend about the pyromancy found in Blighttown as he would likely die trying to get there.

I wish I could have saved Griggs of Vinheim, but the man was hopeless in his pursuit of Big Hat Logan.

I have 99 Humanity now. I think I'll be fine in terms of dying or anything like that from now on when I play. If you need help with anything, please let me know and I will try to help you. I am Orogo on Xbox Live.

TrollHunter
05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
While I do hate you for parrying the final boss, I don't blame you, hell, especially after 5 tries. I just adored the epic final fight of timed blocking and dodging, but I WAS under 25% weight. Whatever floats your boat.
It's a complicated story ending, anti-climatic, but it's one of two.
Dark Souls Lore: Gwyn's Children, Link the Fire ending, and Solaire - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz4rLqWBe4)

I finally acquired the Greatsword of Artorias on my new character, and oh my god was it worth the brutal death filled wait. I ADORE IT. Time to put my hp and endurance past 20 now... after level 63.

Pete for President
05-23-2012, 09:21 PM
It's a complicated story ending, anti-climatic, but it's one of two.
Dark Souls Lore: Gwyn's Children, Link the Fire ending, and Solaire - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxz4rLqWBe4)

I finally acquired the Greatsword of Artorias on my new character, and oh my god was it worth the brutal death filled wait. I ADORE IT. Time to put my hp and endurance past 20 now... after level 63.

Those lore movies are pretty good. Where exactly were you at story-wise when you were able to use the Greatsword of Artorias?

I started a new game as a sorcerer and with all the souls of undead items I bought the extra soul arrow and heavy soul arrow from the blacksmith in New Londo ruins. I recon this should be enough to kill the zombie dragon in Valley of Drakes (which gives 10.000 souls I believe), but I intend to keep my level low and spend most souls on weapon upgrades/spells. Since there aren't any to buy or things to upgrade yet, I think I'll let the dragon live for now. Getting these spells early should give me a head start nonetheless.

TrollHunter
05-23-2012, 10:50 PM
I was at Anor Londo when I got the greatsword, and I spent a few more hours after that leveling like 10 more times to equip it. I've now overplayed it, and am taking a well needed break from dark souls.

But yeah, epicnamebro has a lot of good lore videos and discussion videos on the game. He has pretty good content.

I played as a sorcerer for a little while... but it got boring fast for me :\
It's alright, just not for me.

Pete for President
05-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Just beat the Moonlight Butterfly and the Capra Demon with a level 10 sorcerer. I try not to summon any human players on this playthrough, which made the demon extra challenging. Before traversing the white light i cast Magic Shield, allowing me to block the first leaping attack and get rid of one of the dogs. After that it was like playing tag up and down the stairs while I fired great soul arrows.

Being a sorcerer can make some area's kind of easy by shooting enemies from afar, but the bossfights really make up for it. It's fun for co-op too, I like being a massive damage dealer in the back while a tank blocks the hits.

Pete for President
05-30-2012, 11:58 PM
I've beaten the Gaping Dragon and Quelaag with a level 15 sorcerer. I summoned Knight Lautrec and Solaire for the dragon (both were pretty useless), and Maneater Mildred for Quelaag. In the latter fight I didn't even get hit, but the Gaping Dragon was quite a challenge. I didn't get to cut off his tail, unfortunately.

Keeping my level low, all my souls pretty much go into spells (both sorcery and pyromancy) and (upgrading) equipment. The damage outputs of the various Soul Arrows aren't impressive at all since my INT is only 18, but the Dragon Ring that boosts sorcery helps. That's 20.000 souls well spent! My main melee weapon is a Rapier +5, which clearly doesn't cut it in Blighttown. Killing the mosquito's is a real pain with the lack of a slashing motion.

I might dash through the Catacombs before entering Sen's Fortress to upgrade it to a Fire Rapier, or I'll make it a magic one and start boosting my INT. I'll also try to beat the Hydra in Darkroot Basin so I can find Dusk of Oolacile, an NPC I didn't even meet on my first playthrough. Funfunfun :kakapo:

Quindiana Jones
05-31-2012, 09:20 AM
This thread has actually convinced me to buy this game. I'm gonna head out in the next few days and get it. :D

Expect more activity from me in the future ("Hey guys, how do I kill this boss?", "Hey guys, where do I go now?", "Hey guys, why do I keep dying?" xD).

Pete for President
05-31-2012, 10:13 AM
This thread has actually convinced me to buy this game. I'm gonna head out in the next few days and get it. :D

Expect more activity from me in the future ("Hey guys, how do I kill this boss?", "Hey guys, where do I go now?", "Hey guys, why do I keep dying?" xD).

Thou shalt not regret getting this game! And I'd be glad to help out every now again if needed : )

Quindiana Jones
05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Excellent, thanks very much. I've done some minor research into classes between breaks in (an ungodly amount of) revision, and all I've decided so far is that I don't want to be a Thief. Too much choice!

Pete for President
05-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Excellent, thanks very much. I've done some minor research into classes between breaks in (an ungodly amount of) revision, and all I've decided so far is that I don't want to be a Thief. Too much choice!

Sounds familiair! First time through I think I spent 20 minutes deciding what class I wanted. I'd suggest; don't break your head over this, customization throughout the game is pretty much endless. But do tell which one you'll choose and keep us posted on your progress!

Quindiana Jones
05-31-2012, 07:26 PM
So what platform do you lot play on?

Also, it's now between Wanderer, Pyromancer and Sorceror. Edging Sorceror.

Pete for President
06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
So what platform do you lot play on?

Also, it's now between Wanderer, Pyromancer and Sorceror. Edging Sorceror.

I'm on PS3. Feel free to add me if you're on it too, PSN: PietZooter

All of those are solid classes. They're not tanks, which will make you learn how to dodge and such. Which is a good thing, cause in Dark Souls avoiding a hit is everything.

Quindiana Jones
06-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Alas, poor Yorick, for I own a 360.

I've never liked heavy armour tank builds in any game. I prefer some Jack Be Nimble dancing in my games haha. I call it Rave Jutsu.

Pete for President
06-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Alas, poor Yorick, for I own a 360.

I've never liked heavy armour tank builds in any game. I prefer some Jack Be Nimble dancing in my games haha. I call it Rave Jutsu.

No worries, it's not like you can arrange a co-op game with a specific player anyway. Keep your progress posted : )

As for my second playthrough I took my level 20 sorcerer through the Catacombs to make a Fire Rapier. Totally worth it, cause it makes the close quarters combat in Sen's Fortress so much easier. Also took some time to get a few kills in the Darkroot Forest on behalf of the Forest Hunter covenant, earning me the Fog Ring (another helpful item to not get harassed by serpent-mages while dodging the swinging blades in Sen's Fortress).

I was actually quite proud of these first PvP kills. My tactic: as soon as I invaded I cast Chameleon and keep an eye out for signs of other invaders and the level of the players. There was one guy in Ornstein's Armor fighting the Bandit NPC right in front of me (remember, I was camouflaged so he had no clue). When he got close I popped out with a Great Chaos Fireball and down he went. Sneaky, but superfun!

Quindiana Jones
06-02-2012, 12:23 PM
I saw the Chameleon spell and knew immediately that I wanted it haha.

I may have slightly made an entire to do list in terms of level and equipment now. Any ideas on stats that should definitely be raised. I raise Endurance and Vitality every other level and it seems pretty decent. Wondering if there's any point raising Resistance?

For this playthrough, I'm looking at the Claymore or Uchigatana with an Enchanted... enchantment so I can scale them off my Intelligence and not spend more points than is necessary. I intend to get hold of the Tin Crystallisation Catalyst, so a purely Intelligence build would keep my level low. Actually looking forward to doing the work for this haha.

I've yet to get used to the combat, unfortunately. I've still got the old reflex of wailing on X/Square any time there's a few enemies, so I end up burning through Estus flasks! You quickly learn to isolate enemies though. Quickly learn through pain and death.

Pete for President
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I saw the Chameleon spell and knew immediately that I wanted it haha.

I may have slightly made an entire to do list in terms of level and equipment now. Any ideas on stats that should definitely be raised. I raise Endurance and Vitality every other level and it seems pretty decent. Wondering if there's any point raising Resistance?

For this playthrough, I'm looking at the Claymore or Uchigatana with an Enchanted... enchantment so I can scale them off my Intelligence and not spend more points than is necessary. I intend to get hold of the Tin Crystallisation Catalyst, so a purely Intelligence build would keep my level low. Actually looking forward to doing the work for this haha.

I've yet to get used to the combat, unfortunately. I've still got the old reflex of wailing on X/Square any time there's a few enemies, so I end up burning through Estus flasks! You quickly learn to isolate enemies though. Quickly learn through pain and death.

From your description I assume you went with the Sorcerer class? Either way, you can never really go wrong with Vitality and Endurance. For Sorcerors INT is obviously very important as well, as it (like you've already figured out) works well with magic/enchanted weapons. These upgrades/enchantments are however a little hard to come by at first, but it's manageable nonetheless. I would recommend not to bother leveling Resistance, as upgrading (or equipping) the right armor (and rings) will make a much more noticeable difference defense-wise. In general I find that upgrading equipment always has priority over leveling stats, unless you need some extra stats to use new spells/weapons you have found/bought.

A few quick last tips, even though you may already have read/played so much they may not be necessary at all;

Be creative! There's always a sneaky way around or a more effective way to dispose of enemies if you're having trouble. Get stuck? Scroll through your inventory to see if you have an item/weapon/spell that might help. And remember, you don't have to fight every single monster to get from A to B.

Play online and try to be in human-form. Don't get scared by invaders, they can be manageable. Especially if you intend to keep your level low, you'll rarely get invaded. The hints on the floors will help more often than not and being human will let you summon both NPC's and other players. I found myself surprised by how useful NPC summons are. Seriously, they're great.

And last but not least: see some treasure in the distance guarded by a serious threat? Just dash through, get the loot and run for it. You'll be surprised by how many items you can collect early on just by hit-and-running.

Glad to hear you're stoked to get on it!

Flying Arrow
06-03-2012, 05:00 PM
So much Dark Souls lovin' going on here. I've been wanting to dive back into it but I lent it to my cousin (who hasn't played it for two months). Last night a friend and I played through on XBOX (he played, I laughed) and now I really want to make a Dragonoid-archer-sorcery build.

FYI, I'm boyonion on PSN. Fellow hollows, add me.

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Oh yeah, I went Sorcery in the end. Loving the spells. I'm thinking about using the Pyromancer next time, as I just got hold of some Pyromancies and they're amazing. They really complement the Sorceries I have, as they each do something that the other doesn't. This is definitely a game that I know I'll be playing through many times. Apparently you can go through a New Game+ about a dozen times? If so, that's phenomenal.

I've summoned a few people, but I'm terrified of human form due to the invaders doing away with me effortlessly. Although I've found a pretty sweet spot to grind Humanity now, so it's becoming less terrifying. The people who have invaded me have been pretty cool, though. They've all bowed or waved before the fight, so it all feels very friendly. I've yet to encounter some aggressive troll prick, which is amazing. I also summoned someone in the Undead Burg, who rushed ahead killing everyone and even killed a Black Knight for me, allowing me to get a ring to boost my defence near death. I later summoned Solaire and some random player who was nearby to help during the Gargoyle fight. It was ridiculously easy haha. I spammed Soul Arrow from afar while Solaire attacked the head and the other player attacked the tail and got me a cool looking, albeit unusable, battleaxe. The first Gargoyle died so fast that the second didn't even have time to react to it, although when it did react it just got itself stuck in a wall and went down easy enough, and dropped an amazing helmet. I'm enjoying the whole online mechanic. It really adds to the whole experience.

I found myself in Darkroot a while back, and quickly discovered the joy of running through and collecting items. Ended up with some Elite Knight Armor, a decent archery set and a sweet shield that boosts my stamina when wielded. I was then destroyed by a Black Knight nearby and lost a few thousand souls, but it was totally worth it.

Pete for President
06-04-2012, 08:42 AM
So much Dark Souls lovin' going on here. I've been wanting to dive back into it but I lent it to my cousin (who hasn't played it for two months). Last night a friend and I played through on XBOX (he played, I laughed) and now I really want to make a Dragonoid-archer-sorcery build.

FYI, I'm boyonion on PSN. Fellow hollows, add me.

I'll add you. Starting a new game with some friends who are new to the game is super fun indeed. I love how everyone waits too long to drop down from the balcony at the first Asylum boss, followed by complete panic after getting smashed.

I think I'll use my current Sorcerer-based character to go and do some evil things for the Darkwraith or Gravelord covenants. I've beaten the Iron Golem at level 25, and Ornstein and Smough at level 30. Both on my first try and using nothing but NPC summons, so I feel like I'm getting some skill!

Being relatively low level after returning from Anor Londo I think I might have some good chances hunting prey in Blighttown and Sen's Fortress. However, I still need to reach said covenants.

EDIT: In preparation for this PvP madness I'm making a Lightning Bandit's Knife which will rock backstabs and riposte's when combined with the Hornet Ring. My train of thought: invade in the Blighttown area -> move faster through the swamp than opponents by equipping Rusty ring -> backstab galore! I also upgraded Pyromancy Flame beyond +15, which will make the camouflage/chaos fireball combo pretty epic.

Roogle
06-04-2012, 11:00 PM
I have missed this thread because I was unable to view it due to the ongoing server problems. Does anyone need any of the following:

- Blue Titanite Chunk
- Blue Titanite Slab
- Titanite Slab

I will give these to you for free because you support us even though we are going through so many technical issues right now.

If any of you have a Moonlight Greatsword, though, it would be appreciated. I am SL55 and I can drop down a summon sign for you. The only areas that remain incomplete for me are Demon's Ruins, Lost Izalith, and the Kiln of the Final Flame.

Quindiana Jones
06-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Howdy Roogle, mind if I add you? It'd be cool to have someone to coop with and kill all the Black Knights for me. :D

I figure I'll put up my equipment for you to all look at and, hopefully, give me some advice on.

Weapon/Shield: Claymore +10, Grass Crest Shield. Claymore will become Lightning, after which I'll make an Enchanted Uchigatana.
Armour: Gargoyle Helm, Elite Knight Chest, Arms and Legs.
Rings: Havel's Ring, Ring of Favor and Protection.

Wondering whether I should start upgrading my armour yet? It's a bit on the heavy side, though I prefer the medium armour protection. Havel's Ring keeps it low, but not quite below 25% yet. Ideally I want good protection whilst remaining under 25% equip load for dodging. Does anybody know of any lighter armour's that might suit my Sorceror build? I'm about to enter Blighttown.

Roogle
06-04-2012, 11:56 PM
Yes, you may add me. I am on Xbox Live as Orogo. I am going to be on tonight; I am located in Colorado in the United States, so it might be too late if you are located in Europe.

I am a Sorcerer, too. I wear the Sorcerer's Set+10 provided to the Sorcerer starting class. if you are looking for additional resistances, consider the Black Sorcerer's Set or the Big Hat Set.

Pete for President
06-07-2012, 04:28 PM
The first few minutes of this PvP video are hilarious : )

Dark Souls Chameleon PvP #3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W75lPYzAqUg&feature=relmfu)

Roogle
06-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Chameleon is a very effective spell if you are helping someone through the forest. It turns you into a slightly off palette tree that is difficult to notice if you aren't really looking out for it.

Pete for President
06-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Chameleon is a very effective spell if you are helping someone through the forest. It turns you into a slightly off palette tree that is difficult to notice if you aren't really looking out for it.

Indeed! I've made a few kills for the Forest Hunter covenant using Chameleon and I had a blast!

Pete for President
06-08-2012, 08:06 AM
After 6/7 tries I finally beat the Four Kings at level 34. I just couldn't wrap my head around on how to dodge their attacks, so eventually I used Iron Flesh to withstand the damage and hit them with every pyro I had. Fire Whip dealt a surprising amount of damage.

I've also opened the shortcut to Lost Izalith and made preparations to keep Solaire alive. I might even go and try beat the Bed of Chaos at this level. Getting the advanced sorcery from Big Hat in the Dukes Archives is another priority on my list.

KentaRawr!
06-08-2012, 11:15 AM
More like DORK souls bawhawhaw

Pete for President
06-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Trolololol! So I joined the Darkwraith covenant with my level 34 sorcerer to do some trolling and started off in Blighttown. I've made a few kills, but I think I ended up with a 50/50 k/d ratio. Sounds fair eh?

Highlight by far was winning a 1 vs. 3 by hiding near the big boulder-wielding creatures using Chameleon. As the party passed I started shooting Great Soul Arrows, luring one of the phantoms in. We started brawling and both lost about 80% of our HP. I made a quick rolling escape when the party leader and second phantom joined the brawl, luring them into the range of the boulder-wielding giants. From there I barraged them with Soul Arrows while they were getting stunned and smashed by boulders and such. Victory!

EDIT: Don't think I am completely soulless btw :0 Whenever I notice the cave bonfire hasn't been lit and the Dragon Scale chest hasn't been opened I usually leave. Especially if the player is coming from the Depths entrance instead of Valley of Drakes.

TrollHunter
06-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Well, I'm back, and it seems I've missed a lot.
Time to start catching back up~

Pete for President
06-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Well, I'm back, and it seems I've missed a lot.
Time to start catching back up~

Welcome back.

I continued my trolling in the top-part of Sen's Fortress (I believe the lower part is hard enough as it is, so I'm showing some humanity) and made quite a few successful kills. I also really like this environment to fight in, as it is really diverse and you can be creative in tactics.

Afterwards I gave Anor Londo a shot, but invading here is pretty hard. Once again I chose to invade the part right after the 2 infamous archer knights, as the area's before that are frustrating enough. I've made absolutely 0 successful kills in about 20 tries, mainly because pretty much everyone has a summon or 2 as bodyguards. A few times I got close by ambushing the party while they were fighting the Royal Sentinels, but no luck. I'm still amazed by how well the camouflage spell works.

Pete for President
06-11-2012, 03:33 PM
I've been trying to cut off Seath's tail solo. It's damn hard, that tail swipe is brutal.

EDIT: Got it. Turned out pyromancy can make it pretty easy. Got smashed on the same try, but beat him solo a few tries later using half Havel's set, the resist curse spell and a ton of pyromancy. I was level 37.

Roogle
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
I still haven't had the opportunity to trade with any members of Eyes on Final Fantasy yet. I am currently in New Game+ and I am SL75.

Pete for President
06-18-2012, 10:34 PM
I still haven't had the opportunity to trade with any members of Eyes on Final Fantasy yet. I am currently in New Game+ and I am SL75.

Can't help you man, I'm on PS3...

I've been experimenting with PvP some more. I unlocked the Kiln at level 60, which wasn't too hard because I already beat the Four Kings and Seath at about level 30-37. With the Crown of Dusk, Bellowing Dragon Crest Ring, Logan's Catalyst and 44 Intelligence to fire those Crystal Soul Spears gravelord Nito fell quickly, as well as all the bosses in Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith. For some reason I feel like the latter two area's don't really fit the game too well. Demon Ruins is supposed to be the hell-ish area, but it feels unimaginative compared to the rest of the world. Lost Izalith is pretty much just confusion all around, with weak and out of place enemies. The Bed of Chaos may have been a cool concept for a boss battle, but it's mechanic doesn't really fit the game too well either I think.

Anyway, I'm starting to notice some flaws in PvP. Especially the matchmaking just seems off a lot of the time (does the Dragon Eye even work? And the Darkmoon summoning ring?). Laggy backstabs certainly don't help either. I also have no idea how to best the Havel Set + Black Knight Axe combo, as it's resistance is ridiculous.

I am getting better at PvP nonetheless; yesterday I almost scored my first kill using melee only. For a glass cannon (44 Int, 16 Vit, Crown of Dusk + Sorcerer Set +9) I find fighting using melee only really difficult. I usually only score kills with (Crystal) Souls Spear, sometimes relying on ambushing the enemy with Chameleon for an extra edge. Once it hits, it's massive. It got a 1400+ hit on a player once.

I switched to being a Darkmoon for a change and to get the rewards before challenging Gwyndolin. 4 Souvenirs of Reprisal left...

Pete for President
06-20-2012, 01:06 PM
Did some successful hunting in the Catacombs and the Kiln, netting me the last few Souvenirs of Reprisal. This means I've pretty much done all the sidequests on this second playthrough, with only Gwyndolin left to defeat.

Started somewhat of a speedrun on the side. With 1:05 hours on the clock I've rang both bells and defeated Ceaseless Discharge. Quelaag was pretty hard to kill, so I summoned some players and defeated her on my third try. I found out I made my first mistake by not killing Knight Lautrec to get his Ring of Favor and Protection.

For this run I'm using the Pyromancer class, Drake Sword, Pyromancy Hand, Tower Shield and the freshly obtained Gold-Hemmed Set. I'm aiming to beat the game within 8 hours.

Pete for President
06-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Speedrun update: cleared Anor Londo 2 hours in. Decided to go for Sif afterwards, he gave me quite a lot of trouble. Beat him on the 6th try, turned out patience was the key. Now I'm 4 hours in and I've defeated Nito (solo). Next up I might warp to the Daughter of Chaos to upgrade the pyromancer's flame; something I bet I'll need when I get to Seath and the Four Kings.

My main issue so far is I don't really have any powerful weapons. Drake Sword loses it's usefulness quickly. The lighting spear does decent damage but doesn't have swing attacks. I made a fire claymore at Vamos when I passed him, but even with that it took ages to take Nito down. A Black Knight Sword would save my day I think.

My other problem would be not having enough Humanity to unlock the Lost Izalith shortcut. That might cost me a lot of time.

Either way, I'm still on schedule for the 8 hour target.

Quindiana Jones
06-21-2012, 11:41 PM
I am now convinced that Pete has devil magic on his side.

nirojan
06-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Hey guys just wondering if there was a date for the Artois DLC pack for consoles? I know it's coming with the PC edition, but did they release a date for when the DLC will drop?

Pete for President
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
I am now convinced that Pete has devil magic on his side.

I deny everything :roll2 How fares your progress sir D'Quinceteth?

Hey guys just wondering if there was a date for the Artois DLC pack for consoles? I know it's coming with the PC edition, but did they release a date for when the DLC will drop?

Last I heard was late 2012.

EDIT: Stuff is ridiculous. Beat Demon Firesage, Centipede Demon and the Bed of Chaos within 30 minutes, totaling 4.5 hours. Seath was a bitch as always, made the mistake of actually getting cursed during his 'invincible' fight. Memo to self; wear a rare ring of sacrifice. As for the battle itself, it took 4 more tries (even with summons) to beat him, adding almost an hour to my total time. Luckily the New Londo Ruins went a lot smoother: died twice on my way to Ingward but killed the Four Kings on my first try.

That means I unlocked the Kiln in 5 hours and 40 minutes. That's well ahead of schedule and I might even be able to stay under the 6 hour mark if I manage to beat Gwyn on my first try.

Quindiana Jones
06-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately, I haven't got my 360 up and running yet. My life is a little hectic right now, so it's just sitting there in its box. :(

Pete for President
06-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't got my 360 up and running yet. My life is a little hectic right now, so it's just sitting there in its box. :(

That is a shame, but I have faith.

Final speedrun update:

Turned out I had time for a few more tries at Gwyn than just one. Eventually I beat him on the 5th. Here's my setup throughout this playthrough:

Level 61, mostly Vit & End, little bit of Str & Dex.

Weapons/shield:
Drake Sword +1
Fire Claymore +3
Lightning Spear +3
Pyromancer Flame +15
Tower Shield +5

Armor:
Gold Hemmed Hood/Mask of the Mother
Gold Hemmed Cloak/Havel's Armor
Gold Hemmed Gloves
Gold Hemmed Skirt

Rings:
Hornet Ring
Wolf Ring

All in all I'm really satisfied by keeping the total time under 6 hours. The run was challenging, tense and gratifying. I might do a recap and see what I could have done better to improve my time, but I'm not too sure whether I'll attempt another speedrun. For me, it turned the image of "hardest RPG ever" 180 degrees around. It's not hard, it's just superfun.

Pete for President
06-25-2012, 11:08 AM
Here's the recap:

Picked Pyromancer Class & Master Key, ran through Undead Asylum
Picked up the Homeward Bones at Firelink Shrine
Dashed through the Undead Burg, lit bonfire
Dashed through the enemies, picked up the Gold Pine Resin
Dashed through on to the Taurus Demon, used Gold Pine Resin to beat him
Talked to Solaire (could have skipped this)
Kicked ladder for shorcut.
Used Gold Pine Resin to cut off Hellkite Dragon's tail, obtained Drake Sword. Died by his breath attack. (could have gone better).

Dashed through Undead Parish, rolled underneath the big gate, saving time.
Lit bonfire near Andre and bought tower shield.
Killed the Tower Knight (could have skipped this).
Got held up by zombies on my way to the Gargoyles. Need better dodging.
Summoned Solaire, defeated Gargoyles & rang bell -> homeward bone back to Andre. Bought repair and upgrade boxes. Used shortcut back to Firelink Shrine.
Forgot to kill Lautrec (big mistake).

Dashed through Valley of Drakes and lit Blighttown Swamp bonfire. Summoned some players and killed Quelaag on my third or fourth try. This obviously took too long.
Rang bell. Visited Daughter of Chaos, joined covenant and upgraded pyromancy flame.
Obtained Gold Hemmed Set from Demon Ruins and defeated Ceaseless Discharge (smooth!)

Bought some Pyromancy from Quelana on the way back to Firelink.
Dashed on to Sen's Fortress. Skipped all treasure hunting except for the Lightning Spear and cleared Sen's Fortress. A big plus: I didn't die. The cons; I didn't get the flame stoneplate ring or the ring of steel protection. Both would've been useful later on.

Dashed through Anor Londo using Combustion to kill Painting Guardians. Wasted some time fighting one of the Gargoyles.
Lit the Darkmoon Tomb bonfire.
Died twice getting past the Silver Knight snipers. Used a riposte to succeed.
Lit the bonfire and summoned some players. Obtained Havel's Set, Occult Club and unlocked shortcut, skipped all else. Died twice fighting Ornstein and Smough, obviously losing some time.

Warped to Firelink, placed Lordvessel.
Dashed to Darkroot Garden, made a run for the Wolf Ring and Elite Knight Set.
Dashed through the forest on to Sif. Died 4-5 times, wasting a lot of time.
After defeating him I wanted to obtain the Divine Ember in preparation for the Catacombs. This was a bad idea, because eventually I just downgraded the occult club (found in Anor Londo) to a Divine Club +5. Wasted some time defeating the Moonlight Butterfly.

Warped to Firelink. Killed Petrus for his Humanity.

Dashed through Catacombs, skipping almost all treasure.
Lit bonfire halfway through.
Killed Patches.
Used the Vamos shortcut to get to Pinwheel quickly, making a Fire Claymore on the way.
Used homeward bone to make use of Pinwheel's souls.
Dashed to the Tomb of Giants. Died twice before finally reaching the bonfire. (wasted some time)
Beat Paladin Leeroy, used homeward bone to make use of souls.
Waited a while for summon signs, but none showed. Decided to take Nito on solo and succeeded. (could've been quicker, as I didn't use pyromancy)
Warped to Daughter of Chaos.

Dashed through Demon Ruins. Killed Demon Firesage and Centipede Demon (Solaire helped).
Dashed through Lost Izalith, lit bonfires along the way.
Ignored the pyromancer and invader Kirk.
Defeated Bed of Chaos in 4 tries. (could be quicker, quitting the game and reloading might help)

Warped to Anor Londo.
Dashed through Dukes Archives to the first Seath fight. Got cursed (fuuuuu).
Dashed on through the prison (while cursed) and onto the balcony bonfire.
Dashed through the Crystal Cave, wasted time defeating crab creatures for a purging stone. Didn't get one and actually got killed trying.
Dashed through for a second try, got a purging stone. Got owned by Seath.
Summoned some players, got owned by Seath again.
Summoned more players, got cursed by Seath and died. (fuuuuuuu)
Luckily I had another purging stone. Summoned more players and used up all my Humanity to boost curse resistance. Finally beat Seath. (took way too long)

Warped to Firelink.
Dashed through New Londo. Got killed twice on my way to Ingward. (time wasted) Obtained Fire Keeper Soul.
Warped to Daughter of Chaos for upgrade.
Dashed through New Londo, reached Ingward and drained.
Jumped down to face the Four Kings.
Equipped Havel's set and full pyromancy. Beat them with no Estus left.

Warped to Firelink, unlocked the Kiln. Fought the first Black Knight on every try in hope of a Black Knight sword (wasted some time).

Beat Gwyn on the 5th try. (could have gone smoother)

Long story short, my biggest time-wasters were Sif and Seath. Biggest mistakes were not killing Lautrec, not getting the Ring of Steel Protection and the useless trip to the Moonlight Butterfly. Tempted to try again...

Roogle
06-28-2012, 11:11 PM

Can't help you man, I'm on PS3...

I am only looking to give away items as I have already completed the game. I do not need any assistance.

So, if you are on Xbox 360, and you wish to trade with me, please add my gamer tag and we can work something out.

TrollHunter
06-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Heh, I could... but I haven't played on my 360 in a while. Been hooked on some no armor ratchet and clank runs.
Also, how have I never played the game God Hand? I've seen it as a kid, andI probably wouldn't have liked it in the past...
But
Ratchet and clank: No Armor
Serious Sam
Dark Souls
and
Nuzlockes Have drastically changed my taste in games. I'll have to find this game.
God Hand - This is why we can't have nice things - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBgI76zBIGo)

Flying Arrow
07-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Good job, Pete. My speed runs have never turned out anywhere near that quick. I'm kind of a completist so when I start running through areas leaving doors unopened and bosses unkilled... I feel compelled to stop rushing.

Anyway, I haven't been around here for a bit, but I have been playing the game in my free time. I'm a total trophy whore for this game and I just need one more (Knight's Honor). If anyone can hook me up, we can prep a meeting time. Once I get the trophy I'm willing to part with humanity, weapons, souls, armor, whatever. I'll obviously return everything I'm given as well. I'm playing on PS3.

Here are the weapons I need to get it:

HARD:
-Dark Hand (I'm on NG++ with my guy and I just can't beat the Four Kings to get it. Farming it from DWs is probably out of the question.)

-Moonlight Greatsword (For the life of my I just can't get at Seath's tail. Plus, if I'm going for Dark Hand I can't get to Seath yet anyway to try)

MEDIUM:
-Greatsword of Artorias (because I played blind my first time through, I consumed Sif's soul from that playthrough. Thus I only I have one to use at the moment. I still need to build the Greatshield too, so obviously I'm stuck.)

-Greatshield of Artorias (Ditto)

EASY (mostly grind-y or easily build-able stuff):
-Stone Greatshield

-Channeler's Trident (Won't drop. Can't access Duke's Archives ATM. Funny thing, I literally have three on my NG sorcerer I made a couple of weeks ago).

Word on the street, October 25: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/06/07/5-new-dark-souls-artorias-of-the-abyss-details/

Quindiana Jones
07-01-2012, 05:50 PM
One day before my birthday, nice. I know what I'll be buying!

TrollHunter
07-01-2012, 10:20 PM

HARD:
-Dark Hand (I'm on NG++ with my guy and I just can't beat the Four Kings to get it. Farming it from DWs is probably out of the question.)

The Dark Hand has a very high drop rate. When I was farming for titanite chunks I ended up with like 15 dark hands that I didn't want.

krissy
07-01-2012, 11:55 PM
by the way guys

demons souls NA servers got an extended lease on life last month
they're still up

TrollHunter
07-02-2012, 12:05 AM
And there was much rejoicing.

Pete for President
07-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Good job, Pete. My speed runs have never turned out anywhere near that quick. I'm kind of a completist so when I start running through areas leaving doors unopened and bosses unkilled... I feel compelled to stop rushing.

Anyway, I haven't been around here for a bit, but I have been playing the game in my free time. I'm a total trophy whore for this game and I just need one more (Knight's Honor). If anyone can hook me up, we can prep a meeting time. Once I get the trophy I'm willing to part with humanity, weapons, souls, armor, whatever. I'll obviously return everything I'm given as well. I'm playing on PS3.

HARD:

-Moonlight Greatsword (For the life of my I just can't get at Seath's tail. Plus, if I'm going for Dark Hand I can't get to Seath yet anyway to try)

MEDIUM:
-Greatsword of Artorias (because I played blind my first time through, I consumed Sif's soul from that playthrough. Thus I only I have one to use at the moment. I still need to build the Greatshield too, so obviously I'm stuck.)

-Greatshield of Artorias (Ditto)

EASY (mostly grind-y or easily build-able stuff):
-Stone Greatshield

-Channeler's Trident (Won't drop. Can't access Duke's Archives ATM. Funny thing, I literally have three on my NG sorcerer I made a couple of weeks ago).

I'm on PS3 and I might be able to help. How does preparing a meeting work? Is there no level restriction when you use the Red Sign Soapstone? Either way, I believe I have a spare Sif's Soul, Dark Hand and Moonlight Greatsword on my first character I never play on anymore. IIRC it's level 91 on NG+ or something. Would that work?

Flying Arrow
07-02-2012, 05:31 PM
That could work, thanks! I'm something like lv.145 on NG++ with my character. I think with the Red Soapstone I'd have to summon you. The question is, where is your character in the game? I've killed most of the bosses in mine, except for some early ones which I've avoided through sequence breaking. The "earliest" boss I still have alive is probably the Capra Demon.

Let me know if this works for you. I've already got you on my list too (I'm boyonion). At the moment I'm sucking humanity out of NPCs, so if you're interested I can trade you !MASSIVE! humanities.

The Dark Hand has a very high drop rate. When I was farming for titanite chunks I ended up with like 15 dark hands that I didn't want.

Thanks, I ended up getting it this way. First one I killed this morning. Weird!

Pete for President
07-02-2012, 09:55 PM
That could work, thanks! I'm something like lv.145 on NG++ with my character. I think with the Red Soapstone I'd have to summon you. The question is, where is your character in the game? I've killed most of the bosses in mine, except for some early ones which I've avoided through sequence breaking. The "earliest" boss I still have alive is probably the Capra Demon.

Let me know if this works for you. I've already got you on my list too (I'm boyonion). At the moment I'm sucking humanity out of NPCs, so if you're interested I can trade you !MASSIVE! humanities.

Alright, let's arrange a meeting! I live in the Amsterdam time zone, so would my evening (equalling afternoon in Toronto I think?) work? This character of mine is pretty much doomed so no worries about returning stuff or anything. I haven't played on it since I first beat the game, which means it's still in Undead Asylum. I can make it to Undead Burg in like 5 minutes though, so would somewhere like at the Undead Merchant be an option? I have the Red Sign Soapstone, so things should work out, right?

Flying Arrow
07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
That could work. Thing is I've already killed the area boss, so I won't be able to see your soapstone (so says the wiki). Does the Catacombs work for you, at the first bonfire?

Also let me know if you need anything for one of your other characters. I'm definitely willing to help out.

Pete for President
07-03-2012, 09:54 AM
That could work. Thing is I've already killed the area boss, so I won't be able to see your soapstone (so says the wiki). Does the Catacombs work for you, at the first bonfire?

Also let me know if you need anything for one of your other characters. I'm definitely willing to help out.

Bummer we didn't get it to work yesterday. This might be the solution: "we found that placing the summon sign either worked quickly (within 5 seconds) or didn't appear to work for a long time. Putting down the sign once every 5 seconds, it appeared almost immediately (1-2 seconds) after the successful placement. This implies the servers place summon signs in a few worlds and leave them there for a while."

Let's try again soon.

Pete for President
07-09-2012, 08:13 PM

Credits to the guy who made this.

Flying Arrow
07-09-2012, 11:00 PM
I ran with that mask for so long. Until my girlfriend told me to take it off my character (who I designed specifically to look like her).

Pete for President
07-13-2012, 05:29 PM
I ran with that mask for so long. Until my girlfriend told me to take it off my character (who I designed specifically to look like her).

Hah! All 3 Pinwheel masks look super freaky. I don't find the Mother's mask feminine at all.

I've been trying hard to get better at PvP but I'm starting to think it's a hopeless cause. I can get kills on my level 80 high INT mage, but that's only because a crystal soul arrow can OHKO low and mid-vitality characters. It's still useless especially against tanks and those only decently skilled at dodging.

Been practicing melee with my level 75 high strength build at the Kiln, but out of 10-15 fights I only won twice or so. And that's only because one guy was role playing King Jeremiah. And the other was a tit weighing a ton who used iron flesh - completely immobilizing himself. And I may have backstabbed a guy while he was making a bow. So yeah not very glorious victories at all.

Any advice?

Seriously, how can everyone be this good at PvP? It's like those 150 hours I put into this game count for nothing in the Kiln!

Flying Arrow
07-14-2012, 12:32 AM
The Kiln is generally where people go to fuck shit up. I find that players who PvP in the Kiln mean business. I think the average PvP level around there is 120.

Still, it depends on your build and gear, really. It helps to have something that still deals chip damage on block (something with Lightning attached, or Magic). But in the end (cliche time), go with what you're comfortable with. Concentrate on a really awesome build and you should generally be able to hold your own. Unless you're fighting a Havel-wearing, backflipping, Lightning-Uchi lagstabber, that is.

Pete for President
07-14-2012, 12:56 PM
The Kiln is generally where people go to smurf tit up. I find that players who PvP in the Kiln mean business. I think the average PvP level around there is 120.

Still, it depends on your build and gear, really. It helps to have something that still deals chip damage on block (something with Lightning attached, or Magic). But in the end (cliche time), go with what you're comfortable with. Concentrate on a really awesome build and you should generally be able to hold your own. Unless you're fighting a Havel-wearing, backflipping, Lightning-Uchi lagstabber, that is.

Yeah the Kiln is obviously the hotspot for dueling. I figured there would be more PvP noobs like me practicing, but it's really really diehard out there, and I just can't seem to be competing seriously. I'm just not one of the big boys out there : (

Funny thing, on the other hand I can usually hold my own against other invaders in the Kiln. It's my own invasions where I get swatted like a fly.

Anyway, I made some progress. Strolling on these forums I tweaked my Strength build a bit:
Best poise:weight ratio armor. - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61847190)
Poise breakpoints revisited, and other sciences. - Dark Souls Message Board for PlayStation 3 - GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/61722082)

Who knew the Hollow Soldier Waist Cloth is an excellent choice for low-weight poise gear? I threw them all away, what a waste (see what I did there? Hah!). Switched out the Gargoyle Helmet/Black Leather Armor for Mask of the Child/Knight's Armor. Combined with the Wolf Ring I get 60 poise, enough to not get stunned by a one-handed Zweihander or a two-handed Claymore hit. This has already gotten me some backstab kills. If you know you can take the hit, you can just tank through and manoeuvre for the stab.

Also traded in the Black Knight Halberd for a Black Knight Sword. The damage output is just a little less, but it stuns more easily, has a wider slash range and only weighs 8 instead of 14. If I can get my armor weight down some more I might give the Black Knight Great Sword a try.

After tweaking it was time to do some guilty-hunting in the Catacombs. Things went well. Really well. I think I ended with a 13-6 score. I encountered the same Zweihander-wielding knight 7 times and came out victorious with a 4-3 score. Tense! And fun. 150 hours+ and still learning about this game. It's phenomenal.

Madonna
07-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I recently acquired this game. Somehow the stairs to the Undead Burg were not noticed in my exploration, leaving me trying to make progress with the skeletons toward the Catacombs and with the ghosts in New Londo Ruins. I made it a bonfire deep each respective way, but I was dying way too much and was not getting rewarded at all for my troubles. I reached level 20 before I stumbled across the way to the Undead Burg; life became immediately easier. Met the first boss, almost killed the bastard, but was not really prepared mentally and used up all my Estus previously. New plan with that guy: Messing up the crossbowman and his buddy first, then jump attacking the Taurus Demon to see how he likes that.

Pete for President
07-14-2012, 07:59 PM
I recently acquired this game. Somehow the stairs to the Undead Burg were not noticed in my exploration, leaving me trying to make progress with the skeletons toward the Catacombs and with the ghosts in New Londo Ruins. I made it a bonfire deep each respective way, but I was dying way too much and was not getting rewarded at all for my troubles. I reached level 20 before I stumbled across the way to the Undead Burg; life became immediately easier. Met the first boss, almost killed the bastard, but was not really prepared mentally and used up all my Estus previously. New plan with that guy: Messing up the crossbowman and his buddy first, then jump attacking the Taurus Demon to see how he likes that.

Congrats on acquiring one of the most astonishing games of this generation. Good luck and holla if you need help with anything!

Flying Arrow
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Which bonfire are you referring to in the New Londo Ruins? I'm positive there's no bonfire in that area.

And yeah, I tried to force my way through the Catacombs graveyard at first too. It wasn't to be.

Keep us updated.

Madonna
07-16-2012, 07:24 AM
Which bonfire are you referring to in the New Londo Ruins? I'm positive there's no bonfire in that area.

And yeah, I tried to force my way through the Catacombs graveyard at first too. It wasn't to be.

Keep us updated.This is my face making the saddest face impossible because I assumed I went far enough to find a bonfire in New Londo Ruins, but somehow missed it. Now I know to never get my hopes up. I did actually get to the bonfire in The Catacombs and killed a lantern-wielding git, but then went on to find skeletons swarming the area ahead while more bastards flung fire at me. I am glad someone else was as fool-hardy as me.

I dealt with my previous nemesis with little issue. I applied a little Resin and dropped twice, felling the guy in two blows. Previous to that, I survived two invasions. One guy I managed to trick into tumbling off a cliff, and the other burned to death because of a certain bridge and dragon*. Solaire, it should be noted, is already my favorite character ever. I almost want to bury my axe in his back to see about wearing his gear. Met a boar, got a new helmet, met a knight, found out how hard a tower top is to assail. Currently grinding for drops to improve my gear instead of my level.

Edit: *Second invader was after my buddy the Taurus Demon. Poor writing.

Pete for President
07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
met a knight, found out how hard a tower top is to assail.

Hah, sounds familiair! Keep us posted : )

Quindiana Jones
07-16-2012, 01:02 PM
When I first got to the Firelink Shrine, I headed straight for the Undead Burg. To me, it looked like the only way I could go. After completing it, I wanted to find out about this Graveyard I'd heard so much about, but it took me bloody ages to find! Eventually, I just used the lifts to drop down into it.

Pete for President
07-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Been practicing hard, but I still can't wrap my head around PvP.

46 Souvenirs of Reprisal in my current inventory. Am I getting better? I seriously don't know. I got most of these in the Depths and the Catacombs. Sometimes the fight lasts only seconds - both in my advantage as disadvantage. Sometimes I get my ass handed to me by a naked dual rapier-wielding character. And very rarely I manage to beat the full Havel Zweihander wielding tank. But aside from some very embarrassing defeats I have been getting positive ratio's in some area's.

And then I decide to test my skills in the Darkroot Forest or the Kiln. I'm nothing out there. Backstabs in my advantage only seem to happen accidentally or when we're fighting 2 on 1. I have never parried successfully. Sometimes I get a kill, but it rarely goes smoothly. And then I seriously wonder what kind of people play Dark Souls to the extend where they can beat a fully equipped Giant set wearing knight while having no poise and a rapier only? Or even three of them at once? I look at video's on youtube and see people winning at incredible odds, landing parry's and backstabs like it's nothing. If anyone knows their secret, please do tell. And get your mind blown by watching this video (though I must warn for crazy Japanese music): Dark Souls Forest Clean-Up 2/ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmGolNR630&list=UURVgff2mwDzwrBd3pCPfEnQ&index=6&feature=plcp)

Anyway, anyone up for an EoFF duel? I'm on PS3, level range about 80.

Madonna
07-19-2012, 03:31 AM
That video is ridiculous, Pete. The player in it has really good timing and a very level head.

My current progress follows the cut. The dragon in the Undead Burg still lives. Got the Drake Sword, it still is statistically better than my Battle Axe +5, but the battle is still a case of the dragon flying up, shooting flames right beneath it where I am attacking, and then leaping to the other side of the bride to do a burning rush attack. I have not the fire resistance or hit points for that kind of crap.

I killed the Capra Demon super easily. I was super-stoked to explore the lower burg before heading up the church, and explored my way straight into his area. Melee-ed the dogs, ran up the top, shot the demon near to death. Before it figured out to climb the steps, I landed on it from above the arch with a drop attack. Key to the Depths GET. Now, uh, where were the Depths?

Having no idea where the Depths were, I figured I could at least explore the church. Found a blacksmith, an onion knight, and the Balder knights, who were not really a challenge. Lured the huge knight out, double-handed him my axe a few times. Sniped the Channeler from downstairs. Got the Firekeeper Soul, upgraded my Flask. Ran through the Undead Burg for easy kills, came to the round tower and pinged Havel to death with arrows. Saw a Hydra in the new area, left immediately. Came back to the church, went upstairs, firebombed the room of Undead. Summoned Solaire, awoke a gargoyle, got another axe, and got ambushed by the second gargoyle. Solaire was a great distraction and both monsters were murdered quickly. Rang the bell, met the absolver, and somewhere in the middle of this paragraph I fought a longgggg battle with an invader. We started in front of the church, down to the bridge, under it, and I overshot a leaping attack to stumble over the edge. That freaking close to not falling; you can see my fingers have no space whatsoever betwixt them.

Found the stairway down to the Depths, opened up the aqueduct shortcut, and explored a basement full of Undead, dogs, and some butchers. Got a sack and a death out of it, but I was able to recover my bloodstain. Went down further, found out I hate slimes, and that rats really, really, really really really suck. Thought I figured out the worst enemy until I met the lizards. Fell down a hole to be surrounded by them, but was able to dodge their clouds and murder them. Maybe not a threat, but that is because I have gotten out of all encounters with not being hit. They probably suck. Found Zena, bought her(?) torso armor and found a big rat to slaughter. It took two resin applications and all my Estus because I had no luck with sniping. Got tired of the sewers, so I left to explore out by Andre and see what the deal was with the stone man lizard amputee. Avoided the lightning, rolled around him a lot, and double-handed him with my axe to death. Fairly safe, only swiped a few times. Got a super awesome Titanite Catch Pole which has become my weapon of choice. Went back to the Depths to try it out.

Nothing stood a chance between my new pole and a Shortbow +5. Undead, dogs, rats, lizards, whatevs. Entered the boss fight with Solaire at my side and found out I was not doing too much damage with my pole. Switched to the axe to see if it made a difference, but since it was not my alternate equip, I kind of suffered a near-death beating. Switched back after it became clear the axe was worse than the pole, but saw that Solaire was taking a little too much aggro. I got too hurried in trying to make sure he lived and ended up the Gaping Dragon's bitch. Last I saw Solaire, he was summoning a sunlight spear. I hope he is not dead when I make it back.

The graveyard and Catacombs were the first things I found. I mean, there were doors and arches, so I went to the doors and arches. When I used the bonfire for the first time, I noticed the stairs down, so I took the stairs. Found New Londo Ruins and Valley of Drakes pretty quick, but did not see the appeal in trying too much of my luck with ghosts, undead dragons, or large ogre things. It was only when I was resting at a bonfire and Kalilung asked where a flight of stairs went that I even noticed the path to the Undead Burg. Personally, I blame the tree.

Pete for President
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
You beat Capra Demon before the Gargoyles? That's interesting. IIRC you need a key from the Undead Parish (Gargoyles territory) to even get to the Capra Demon. Nice exploring though, there is no right or wrong in this game! Beating Havel early can make some things easier for you too. Hope you don't use a guide, makes things super tense and sometimes the GameFaqs guides tell you to do just plain stupid things. I don't recommend any of them, go your own way!

Goldenboko
07-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - fuck those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.

Pete for President
07-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - smurf those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.

Congrats! I'm well on my way to Platinum it too. What were you fighting the Dragons for, do they aggro in new game+? If so, the Chaos Servant shortcut must be a true blessing. Which achievement was your last, Knight's Honor by any chance?

Pete for President
07-23-2012, 11:48 AM
PvP-ing while two-handing the Demon's Greataxe +15 is challenging, but great fun. I've dealt 750 damage in a single R1 hit.

EDIT: Needs Power Within and an elemental buff.

Goldenboko
07-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Just got the last achievement of this game the other day. Level 148 or so. Beat it twice. Only have one thing to say - smurf those Dragon Asses in Lost Izalith.

Congrats! I'm well on my way to Platinum it too. What were you fighting the Dragons for, do they aggro in new game+? If so, the Chaos Servant shortcut must be a true blessing. Which achievement was your last, Knight's Honor by any chance?

My last one was Wisdom of a Sage, because I never used magic so I had like no spells lol.
They aggro in all playthroughs, they are easily skippable, but just as all other abominations in that game, they must go extinct by my hand. :colbert:

Flying Arrow
07-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Two days ago I got invaded in the Parish, won the fight, and then got summoned by the same guy to beat the Gargoyles.

So this one goes out to the XxSTATYKxX's of the world - through thick or thin, a Sunbro's always got your back.

krissy
07-26-2012, 05:09 PM
should
should i wait for the pc version to come out next month
or should i get the ps3 version
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
i think i'll just wait now i mean i may as well, it comes with extra stuff to beat and i'm sure the PC version will eventually allow for private servers and stuff

Pete for President
07-30-2012, 02:05 PM
should
should i wait for the pc version to come out next month
or should i get the ps3 version
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO
i think i'll just wait now i mean i may as well, it comes with extra stuff to beat and i'm sure the PC version will eventually allow for private servers and stuff

Not too sure what the controls would feel like on pc. To me it feels very tight as a console game. Although with a masterpiece game like Dark Souls you can't go wrong either way.

Still can't put down this game. I'm getting better and better at PvP, winning most 1 vs. 1 duels with my level 90-ish Strength build. Even duels at the Kiln turn out in my favor pretty much half the time. Invading in non-PvP-hotspots is more fun though, as the fights tend to be dirtier, longer lasting, less gank-ish and you can be creative with the environment. Yay Dark Souls, thou are awesome.

Also working on a new build, the first character to have Vitality as a main stat. Combined with Pyromancy and a little Dex for casting speed I reckon this will turn out to be a PvP monster.

Madonna
07-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Sorry for the lack of updating, I am a terrible person.

Pete, I think I may have killed everyone in the bottom floor of the church (and sniped the Channeler) before heading out to the Capra Demon. But it is all approximation, since I played the game in a large chunk before coming here to regale everyone with tales. Less tales this time, but here are some benchmarks.

Defeated Gaping Dragon. Unlocked Blighttown. Drained New Londo. Found way back to Undead Asylum. Killed Stray Demon. Went to Darkroot Garden, killed Moonlight Butterfly. Bought the Crest, opened the door, joined the Forest Hunter Covenant. Went down to the Basin, killed Hydra. Began exploring Blighttown, made it to the bottom, mucked around a little, found passage to Valley of Drakes, and said smurf it. Will find that Bell today.

Also, going to kill that dragon on the bridge.

Edit: I should note my character sucks at level forty-nine. I have not developed my main in any specific manner, but rather to meet a few requisites. Strength is in the high twenties, some high -teens for Dexterity, Vitality, and Endurance, and everything else in the low -teens. Thinking that I am going to ignore improving my magic/faith stats and leave that to another character or two. In terms of PvP, I have lost maybe a good eighty percent of fights, whether it be me invading or me invaded. While rubbish at fighting, I do enjoy at least trying to take on others. Being summoned to help in the Depths pays for itself, though I once rolled with a party that went straight to the boss before handling the Channeler above. Lost our other phantom before I sniped him.

Pete for President
07-31-2012, 08:33 AM
No-one can be a terrible person whilst playing Dark Souls. Good to see you're exploring a lot and presumably playing without a guide, that's the way to go! About the levelling, it's normal that you don't feel strong just by levelling up. For the main part, equipment matters more than levels in this game. What weapons do you use?

Maybe some tips on dealing with invaders can come in handy (spoiler free):

If both you and the invader are down to low HP, go for the kill. Trying to use the estus flask will get you killed.
In general, using the estus flask is asking to get backstabbed. Only heal when you're 200% sure you have the time.
Also, never turn your back at the invader.
Don't ever follow an invader to a tight ledge or to a place other monsters could be at.
Read his/her equipment. Heavy armored and dual wielding a big weapon? Get him to swing and dodge/strafe around for a quick hit. Tight environments are these guys' biggest enemy, as swings will bounce off the walls. Fast moving lightweight character? Be aggressive, try to corner him/her and use big swings, hope for a stun.
If you notice you're getting invaded (fog walls showing up, unable to use the White Sign Soap Stone and Homeward Bone), you can always backtrack to the bonfire so your souls will be less of hassle to get back in case you die. On the other hand, you can also make a run for the Boss fight if you know where it is. Traversing the White Light will send the invader home.
Being aggressive will increase your chance of winning. Playing defensively will usually just end up in a battering.
Last but not least: having high poise will save your ass. It means you won't get stunned very quickly and getting stunned is usually the end.

The dragon on the bridge can be sooo destructive. It's a fun battle though. Good luck and keep us posted : )

Pete for President
08-04-2012, 09:32 AM
Started my first serious NG+ and the funniest pvp thing happened. Got invaded on the Undead Burg bridge while I hadn't even attempted to kill the red dragon yet. The invader spawned right next to me on the bridge. Decided I'd have some fun and just run from cover to cover while the invader chased me about. Of course the dragon shot his fire breath, killing the invader in 2 hits. Good times. :D

Pete for President
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Platinummed it. Pow!

Madonna
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Congratulations, Pete for President! Enjoy that Dark Soul! And of course, that invader deserved his fiery death.

I have not gotten my dragon; I can lure him down so I can wail upon him, but he then keeps dashing across the bridge. I need him to do a breath attack instead of being knocked down, life drained, only to clamber up and see him charging from the other side of the bridge.

Had enough Green Titanite to make a Divine weapon +3, and went to explore the Catacombs. Fell fatally down a certain shaft (scream, soul dissolving and all), but apparently close enough to the opening at the bottom to trigger the blacksmith scene and instead lived. Murdered Pinwheel like he was a cow and I wanted steak. Found the Tombs a little less forgiving. Answered Patches wrong, killed him. Rescued Reah, but got a little stuck further on.

I did meet a charming lady in Blighttown, but we were not right for one another. Rang the next bell, and killed a gigantic discharge. Ignored the golden fog for now.

Sen's Fortress. Rescued Big Hat. I have a feeling I am about to fight a giant golem.

Equipment-wise. I have been rocking a Titanite Catching Pole +3 for some time. Its built-in magic attack and knock-down ability have been pretty large factors in my keeping of it for so long. I have been suspecting a good +10/+15 weapon would do it shame, but the only good place I know for farming are the slimes in the Depths and its both a hassle and soul-unfulfilling. My second-hand equip is a Composite Bow +5; again a lack of colored Titanite has held me from upgrading it. Right-hand, I use a Spider Shield +5 because of 100% physical reduction and good reduction rates for everything else, and a wand/talisman for whatever magic/miracles I want to rock. I, uh, sort of splurged on armor because I was annoyed at how easily poisoned I was, but I think getting all the Tattered swamp gear +5 was a bit useless in the end. I still rock the torso piece of that, but have switched the arms, legs, and head out for the Stone Knight set.

PVP, it has been pretty fifty-fifty in the Forest Hunter Covenant. You know things are going to be hard when you look around and realize he has killed everything else in the forest. Otherwise? There is a chance. One time, I spawned in Alvina's room, went outside to see a guy and a gold phantom running to get me, so I went out the other way and Camouflaged myself near the mushroom kids. Guys come out, start killing the kids, and I got to lunge out with an R2 attack, knock down my target, and kill him before his Sun Brother could do a thing.

Quindiana Jones
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Started my first serious NG+ and the funniest pvp thing happened. Got invaded on the Undead Burg bridge while I hadn't even attempted to kill the red dragon yet. The invader spawned right next to me on the bridge. Decided I'd have some fun and just run from cover to cover while the invader chased me about. Of course the dragon shot his fire breath, killing the invader in 2 hits. Good times. :D

Awesome.

One time, I spawned in Alvina's room, went outside to see a guy and a gold phantom running to get me, so I went out the other way and Camouflaged myself near the mushroom kids. Guys come out, start killing the kids, and I got to lunge out with an R2 attack, knock down my target, and kill him before his Sun Brother could do a thing.

Fucking awesome.

Madonna
08-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Damn it. I made it to Anor Londo and in the thrill of making it, I upgraded my Estus Flask...with my Firelink Keeper's soul. With this and a lack of Patches in my life, I am feeling a void; my choices have been poor and rushed. On the plus side, I bothered to farm and have a Longbow +11, a Fire Axe +5 for those times the Pole lets me down, and I switched out the Tattered Cloth Robe +5 for an Elite Knight Armor +10.

I started another character as a Pyromancer. What buffs up their fire attack? My focus stats on this guy is going to be DEX/INT, because my other guy was pretty all over the place, but with a STR slant. This is already going well; I have rang the first bell. I may start up a Faith build, a more straight-forward INT mage build, and re-do the big and dumb approach.

Quindiana Jones
08-07-2012, 10:28 AM
If I remember correctly, nothing buffs Pyromancy. It doesn't scale off anything, so you're free to do whatever you like. This is why you might often see low level Pyromancers kicking all kinds of ass against foes they have absolutely no right even looking at. It's pretty cool.

Pete for President
08-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Damn it. I made it to Anor Londo and in the thrill of making it, I upgraded my Estus Flask...with my Firelink Keeper's soul. With this and a lack of Patches in my life, I am feeling a void; my choices have been poor and rushed. On the plus side, I bothered to farm and have a Longbow +11, a Fire Axe +5 for those times the Pole lets me down, and I switched out the Tattered Cloth Robe +5 for an Elite Knight Armor +10.

I'd recommend pushing through on this character. It's this game's charm: no matter what your choices are, all of them are spontaneous and there is no right or wrong in any of them. You can kill every NPC you meet and still beat the game. I killed Patches too on my first playthrough, as well as some other merchants. Don't worry about the Firelink Keeper, without spoiling too much I'll just guarantee you'll do just fine without her. Just continue the amazing Anor Londo part and you'll see.

Also, big props for not playing with a guide, it's the way this game shines most. Starting other characters is good fun indeed, but I'd recommend plowing through on your first. Not to sound demeaning or anything, but there's still lots to learn and explore, as well as a few NPC's to meet, all of which will help your following characters a great deal.

About dealing more damage with Pyromancy; the magic damage does not scale with any stat. Therefore it can be a great asset to any character, as long as you're willing to pump some levels in attunement slots. What you do is upgrade the Pyromancy Flame like you do with a weapon, but all you need is souls, no titanite shards. This can be done at several pyromancy trainer NPC's, not blacksmiths. An upgraded flame makes the spells do more damage.

But keep it up, you're making good progress and it seems you're having fun too! Congrats on that Forest kill, sometimes getting kills in there can be sooo hard. Chameleon can increase your chances a great deal!

Quindiana Jones
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm mourning the absence of Dark Souls more than any other game. Due to me moving house, and later country, I'll be without my Xbox for many months. It's just not fair. :(

Goldenboko
08-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Making my roommate playthrough so someone else understands me. Instructed him how to get the Darkwood Grain Ring yesterday, needless to say he killed himself backflipping off the exit of blighttown within minutes.

Jiro
08-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Why doesn't that surprise me? xD

Pete for President
08-08-2012, 11:19 AM
Hah! I've been there... Good to see you're making people pick up this gem Goldenboko, I've been trying the same but people seem a little stubborn or scared to actually give it a try.

Slothy
08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
This thread just reminds me of how much I need to go back to playing me some Dark Souls. I haven't touched it in months because I rarely get the chance to play my PS3 a lot.

Pete for President
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM
This thread just reminds me of how much I need to go back to playing me some Dark Souls. I haven't touched it in months because I rarely get the chance to play my PS3 a lot.

We believe you can make it happen Vivi22, we do!

Slothy
08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
I just need to murd- distract my wife so I can get at the TV. Maybe I'll break it out this weekend when she's sleeping in late.

Quindiana Jones
08-09-2012, 05:12 AM
Chloroform is your friend.

krissy
08-10-2012, 02:29 AM
Dark Souls PC - Confirmed Facts - 30FPS Lock, Internal Resolution Locked To 1024x720 | N4G (http://n4g.com/news/1056014/dark-souls-pc-confirmed-facts-30fps-lock-internal-resolution-locked-to-1024x720)

Pete for President
08-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Hah! Finally getting to the point where I'm steadily winning duels in the Kiln, I even parried a few times today. Oh glory! ... although I still kinda suck for someone who put 200 hours in this game already, shhh!

This is my

Pyromancer Class, level 92

Chaos Rapier +5
Pyromancy Flame +5
------------------
Heater Shield +10
------------------
Crown of Dusk
(no body armor)
Havel's Gauntlets
Iron Leggings +9
------------------
Wolf Ring
Ring of Favor & Protection (thought this was overrated and would never be good enough to replace the Dragoncrest Ring, but combined with 50 Vit it gives me 1800HP and the extra equip burden boost. Worth it!)

Main stats:
Vit: 50
Att: 19 (5 slots)
End: 32
Dex: 32

This setup gives me 77 Poise while still under 25% weight, which is pretty amazing for a not-that-common setup. Plus I don't use the Darkwood Grain Ring, another respectful element.

I still find backstabbing while 1-on-1 superhard for some reason, but I've had some successful ones today. Unlocking seems to help. Any advice is welcome!

Goldenboko
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Hah! Finally getting to the point where I'm steadily winning duels in the Kiln, I even parried a few times today. Oh glory! ... although I still kinda suck for someone who put 200 hours in this game already, shhh!

This is my

Chaos Rapier +5
Pyromancy Flame +5
------------------
Heater Shield +10
------------------
Crown of Dusk
(no body armor)
Havel's Gauntlets
Iron Leggings +9
------------------
Wolf Ring
Ring of Favor & Protection (thought this was overrated and would never be good enough to replace the Dragoncrest Ring, but combined with 50 Vit it gives me 1800HP and the extra equip burden boost. Worth it!)

Main stats:

This setup gives me 77 Poise while still under 25% weight, which is pretty amazing for a not-that-common setup. Plus I don't use the Darkwood Grain Ring, another respectful element.

I still find backstabbing while 1-on-1 superhard for some reason, but I've had some successful ones today. Unlocking seems to help. Any advice is welcome!

Probably because real people aren't stupid and notice when you start trying to walk from the front to the back of them unlike the hollows.

Pete for President
08-11-2012, 08:14 AM

This is my

Chaos Rapier +5
Pyromancy Flame +5
------------------
Heater Shield +10
------------------
Crown of Dusk
(no body armor)
Havel's Gauntlets
Iron Leggings +9
------------------
Wolf Ring

Main stats:

Probably because real people aren't stupid and notice when you start trying to walk from the front to the back of them unlike the hollows.

I think there's more to this. Yesterday I fought the same guy three times (Father's Mask, Katana & Talisman, spirit of vengeance) and somehow he had the easiest time backstabbing me. Perfect timed rolls, unlocking to turn faster, precise positioning: it seems you can train yourself to get better at them.

There was also a guy I fought twice (Favor set, Moonlight Greatsword) who breezed through my backstab-counter measures all the time. Can't really figure out how though, it wasn't as obvious as the guy above.

Goldenboko
08-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Could be internet speed differences tbh. I've had a guy who always manage to backstab me and I thought he was just much better than me, til the last one that killed me, because on my screen he was still in front of me.

Pete for President
08-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Could be internet speed differences tbh. I've had a guy who always manage to backstab me and I thought he was just much better than me, til the last one that killed me, because on my screen he was still in front of me.

That could also be the case indeed.

Demon's Souls arrived in the mail yesterday. Let's continue the epicness! Beat the Phalanx and Tower Knight. The Tower Knight cutscene with the archers certainly made me go 'oh :bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:'. Needless to say I got smashed pretty soon after, but I beat him on the second try. Fun boss fight!

Madonna
08-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Retroactively dominating the previous game; I like it. While it is a good idea to simply follow the world order, sneaking over to another one to take care of X-1 and maybe even X-2 is not bad. My only real advice is to hold onto the boss souls for now; furnishing you with a large amount of souls is the least thing a boss soul can do.

Cleared the Undead Burg and Parish with both my Faith build and the Pyromancer. None of my three have killed that damn dragon yet. I tried summoning phantoms to help with the dragon, but someone always triggers its departure instead of helping me kill it.

krissy
08-13-2012, 03:59 AM
1-1 has some really important items that you can get to straight away
some of them it takes a bit of thinking of how to get there though
and you can always farm grasses on 1-1 which makes it a place i spent a long long time in
enjoy the game! it's one of the best experiences i've had in gaming

Jowy
08-13-2012, 04:58 AM
just bought dark souls and after playing it mostly this entire weekend

made a warrior, using spear + shield. ran around with no real idea where to go and managed to get killed by ghosts. dodged ghosts and got parrying dagger and estus flask upgrade. just now got to the undead chapel, killed the tower knight and got my second flask upgrade. ran past that lightning shooting fucker into the woods and died trying to kill this ancient metal knight thing.

i am loving this

NeoCracker
08-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Great Dragon Bow = Single Greatest Bow in any game ever.

Totally worth the 500 Souls it costs per shot.

Slothy
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
ran past that lightning shooting fucker into the woods and died trying to kill this ancient metal knight thing.

Those fucking knights in the fucking forest. I was playing a bit on the weekend and could not kill them. Eventually I gave up assuming I'd simply run past them before since I remembered fighting the butterfly right after that. So I ran past them instead and went to fight the butterfly again (I'd died when I played months ago). Died again, tried screwing around to see if there was anything else to do, found the lower portion of the woods with the Hydra in the lake. Died when the Hydra was almost dead and gave the fuck up for a bit. Tips anyone? Is there anywhere else I can explore for now that's a bit more manageable/rewarding?

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Sorcery is your friend when up against those Stone Knight bastards. I can't take them in a close quarters fight; they just annihilate me. But my Great Heavy Soul Arrow goes through them like nobodies business. :smug:

Slothy
08-13-2012, 03:59 PM
So for someone who hasn't focused on magic at all (and I don't think I even have any at the moment actually) what do I need to get me rolling there. I assume I still need some sort of wand or something like I did in Demon's Souls to even cast spells? Where would one buy/pillage such mystic devices?

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Oh, bums. That does cause a problem. This guy (http://darksouls.wikidot.com/griggs-of-vinheim) will sort you out.

Slothy
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Awesome. That's exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Madonna
08-13-2012, 05:03 PM
Yeah, to cast magic in Dark Souls, you need to rock a proscribed wand for the proscribed branch of magic. For sorcery, you need a catalyst. For pyromancy, you need a flame. For miracles, you need a talisman. All of these things are clearly labeled what they are, so that is easy; no wondering if a stick is a wand or just a stick. Easy too is getting a spell, which you need to equip at a bonfire into an attunement slot; simply find one in your adventures or buy one from an NPC merchant. Did I mention attunement? To have an attunement slot into which to shove a spell, you need at least an Attunement attribute of 10, which nabs you one slot.

I skim people's posts unless it is really interesting, sorry. You can buy a Catalyst from Rickert of Vinheim in New Londo Ruins (from Firelink Shrine, take the elevator beneath the Firekeeper, in this first area find the stairway overlooking the flooded/unflooded ruins, and find his window) or from Griggs of Vinheim at Firelink Shrine (you need to rescue him first, and you will later find him at the Shrine, nearby the stairs to the Undead Burg). Both of these guys sell spells too, so you will be set. Damage from Sorcery scales with Intelligence.

Pyromancy Flames allow one to cast Pyromancy spells. You can get a Flame and Pyromancy spells from Laurentius of the Great Swamp once you rescue him (once rescued, you can find him at Firelink Shrine on the landing above the bonfire). Damage from pyromancy scales with your Pyromancy Flame as you upgrade it.

Miracles scale with Faith, and if you have ever explored Firelink Shrine, you have surely met Petrus of Thorolund. Join his covenant, and he will sell you Talismans and Miracles.

In regards to the Stone Knights, melee has always work for me. Double-hand your weapon and get behind the Knight before he stands up. R2 that tit until you can no more. If the Knight is still alive, R1 if that will get you the kill. The good (and bad) thing about this guy is the sorcery he casts. Tranquil Walk of Peace might destroy your mobility, and the Stone Knight may proceed to violate you with his greatsword, but when he casts it, which he almost always wants to do, you can still beat the everlasting crap out of him. Two added tidbits of advice: 1) Go back to Andrei of Astora and upgrade your weapon. A +5 weapon is so insanely better than its base version and takes only a little dedication to get. 2) Take Darkroot Garden slow. Case the area and clear out any enemies that might make the fight with a Stone Knight harder. See the telltale sign of an Ent? Shoot that bastard from afar and make it come to you. The glade previous to the Butterfly has a spot where two (!) Knights rest by each other, alongside four Ents. Shoot and murder the ents one-by-one, before taking a careful walk that will trigger one Knight to rise before the other, so you can still melee one before you even have to worry about the other.

Edit: Nooooooo, I spent too much time writing about the stone knights. Curse you, Flambard D'Quinceteth, and your timely replies.

Quindiana Jones
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
xD

Your reply was considerably more detailed. Vivi can't go wrong, now.

Slothy
08-13-2012, 05:19 PM
I can't remember where my weapon is at right now. Might be +4 actually. I'm rocking a Wing Spear and shield mainly with a bow for longer ranges. It was my go to combo in Demon's Souls so it just felt right to go that route when the opportunity presented itself. I'm looking forward to getting some more play time in so I can try and get past those knights now, and that damn butterfly. Only lost this last time I think because I had forgotten its pattern and got a bit too cocky for my own good.

Considering I beat most of Demon's Souls I should know better than to let myself get comfortable.

Pete for President
08-13-2012, 09:09 PM
Like Madonna said, use two handed R2 attacks to bring down the knights quickly. Especially when you see the Knight raising his sword straight up.

Another tactic for the Stone Knights without fetching magic of your own: if you're in human form you can also run through the part of the forest leading to the Moonlight Butterfly. Once you enter the building in the back (the one leading up to the boss) you'll trigger a Stone Knight to wake up, but you can ignore him if you're quick. Enter the building and immediately whack at the bushes underneath the staircase. This will reveal a summon sign for Witch Beatrice. In the meantime, hold off the Knight by blocking or running op the stairs. Once summoned, Witch Beatrice will quickly take out the Knight. Afterwards you can take her through the forest as a helping hand.

Quindiana Jones
08-14-2012, 01:07 AM
Being a Sorceror myself, and with the aid of Beatrice, the Moonlight Butterfly went down in about a minute for me. xD

Pete for President
08-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Witch Beatrice is indeed a great help in that bossfight!

Been rockin' Demon's Souls: Defeated the Armored Spider (creepy atmosphere leading up to it, but the fight was easy) and the Flame Lurker for which I summoned for the first time. Got really lost on the way down there, so I didn't want to take any risks entering the fog on my own. Met Patches, pretty cool he's the same in Dark Souls. Found a Great Axe, dropped the gauntlets and helmet I was wearing to be able to bring it with me, so I was pretty badass as I say so myself. Back in the Nexus I upgraded it to +5 to replace the Halberd +4. Item burden is bothersome.

Also, Demon's Souls logic: "cannot take this item, it would overburden you". Can you tell me what the item is at least, you troll?

Slothy
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Played for about an hour last night. Got myself a catalyst and some soul arrows and heavy soul arrows. I need to up my intelligence though and get some more attunement slots because right now I'm using about half my supply of a spell to kill a knight and only being able to equip one spell at a time makes that a really big pain. Two-handing my spear was too slow for me to want to risk more than one hit. I may try my Drake sword instead next time then finish them with spells. Just the same, spells kill them easily and net me 600 souls with a nearby bonfire to recharge so it's not a terrible place to farm at the moment.

Pete for President
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Played for about an hour last night. Got myself a catalyst and some soul arrows and heavy soul arrows. I need to up my intelligence though and get some more attunement slots because right now I'm using about half my supply of a spell to kill a knight and only being able to equip one spell at a time makes that a really big pain. Two-handing my spear was too slow for me to want to risk more than one hit. I may try my Drake sword instead next time then finish them with spells. Just the same, spells kill them easily and net me 600 souls with a nearby bonfire to recharge so it's not a terrible place to farm at the moment.

I'd recommend summoning witch Beatrice to help you out and explore the area (as described a few posts back). It could save you a lot of hassle.

NeoCracker
08-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Slightly unrelated to the current conversation, but am I the only one who gets the worlds most awkward boner when you see Chaos Witch Quelaag?

:love:

Slothy
08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
I'd recommend summoning witch Beatrice to help you out and explore the area (as described a few posts back). It could save you a lot of hassle.

I plan to give it a shot. I'm just always a little wary of being in human form as I generally dislike pvp due to my being awful at it and just wanting to play the game without it. I may hold off on getting her and progressing for just a little bit so I can increase my intelligence a bit first just the same.

Slightly unrelated to the current conversation, but am I the only one who gets the worlds most awkward boner when you see Chaos Witch Quelaag?

Having just looked her up on the wiki, yes, you are the only one you sick freak. /arachnophobia

NeoCracker
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM

I plan to give it a shot. I'm just always a little wary of being in human form as I generally dislike pvp due to my being awful at it and just wanting to play the game without it. I may hold off on getting her and progressing for just a little bit so I can increase my intelligence a bit first just the same.

Having just looked her up on the wiki, yes, you are the only one you sick freak. /arachnophobia

Oh come on, replace the Gaint unholy spider death deamon body with a pair of legs, and rawr. :jokey:

Pete for President
08-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Will the Chaos Witch Quelaag thing turn out similar to the mermaid discussion? As in: would you rather have top half human with a spider bottom, or a top half spider with a human bottom?

Don't worry about PvP too much, that area isn't a PvP hotspot. Should be fine!

Slothy
08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Will the Chaos Witch Quelaag thing turn out similar to the mermaid discussion? As in: would you rather have top half human with a spider bottom, or a top half spider with a human bottom?

Seeing as she was more of a top half of a human attached to an entire Spider, I don't think there's much of a discussion to be had there.

Don't worry about PvP too much, that area isn't a PvP hotspot. Should be fine!

That's a bit of a relief then. I just developed a bit of a dislike for the PvP aspect in Demon's Souls and I don't think I ever got over it in Dark Souls. Never mind that being dead all of the time in Demon's Souls also makes the game a bit easier.

Pete for President
08-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Made a kill in the Kiln today. Reward: 800.000 souls. Crazy.

Duels have been smoother in the Undead Burg than the Kiln for some reason. Tweaked my build a bit by switching out the Chaos Rapier +5 for a Great Scythe +14. It's two-handed running R1's and two-handed R2's are pure destruction in PvP. Almost like every swing is a guaranteed hit. Had to drop the Painting Guardian shirt and the Heater Shield to equip it, but it's worth it. Now I rock a Wooden Shield on the side, looking proper noobish.

Jowy
08-15-2012, 09:11 PM
i have soul arrow for my warrior...how much int is too much? i don't want it to hit like a box of kittens, but i don't need my warrior with so much int he's helping solaire's kid with algebra homework when he should be hittin and blockin like a pro

Pete for President
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
i have soul arrow for my warrior...how much int is too much? i don't want it to hit like a box of kittens, but i don't need my warrior with so much int he's helping solaire's kid with algebra homework when he should be hittin and blockin like a pro

12 is enough. Once you get a certain catalyst it'll do quite a lot of damage.

What you'll want to get is the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst. It is obtained by first defeating the Hydra in the Darkroot basin. Then you move forward along the waterfalls on the left side of the lake all the way to the back until you see an orange crystal creature. Defeat it, and an NPC will appear. After talking to her she will leave a summon sign right in front of where you fought the hydra. Summon her, and you can buy the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, as well as some very fun spells. Some of them need 14 int to use though.

Goldenboko
08-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I really want to be some guys Sun-Bro, but my White Soapstone is always ignored. Where should a level 140 person be leaving his illustrious signature?

Jowy
08-16-2012, 08:41 PM
totes blew up those gargoyles in ten seconds with solaire and another sunbro. snagged the axe but lacking the ability to one-hand it so i figure it'll be situational. i got a balder side sword from those dicks by the channeler at the chapel and went ahead and hammered that to +5 already

RING

RING

RING

onto the swamp!

Pete for President
08-16-2012, 10:02 PM
I really want to be some guys Sun-Bro, but my White Soapstone is always ignored. Where should a level 140 person be leaving his illustrious signature?

I'm not too sure there are any specific area's when you go 100+. There should be NG+-ers just about anywhere. Anor Londo is always a good guess, as are the Dukes Archives.

totes blew up those gargoyles in ten seconds with solaire and another sunbro. snagged the axe but lacking the ability to one-hand it so i figure it'll be situational. i got a balder side sword from those dicks by the channeler at the chapel and went ahead and hammered that to +5 already

The Balder Side Sword is a very nifty weapon and drops pretty rarely, nice going!

Goldenboko
08-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Do you know if it matters if I killed the princess if I want to go coop biggie smalls?

Jowy
08-17-2012, 01:59 AM
word, i am loving this sword. i knew it was rare but i actually googled it to see how rare. i had maybe one humanity in hollow form too!

after I killed the capra demon i got invaded in the sewers. wondering how to trigger backstabs since apparently just being behind them and pressing RT/R2 isn't good enough!

Goldenboko
08-17-2012, 03:27 AM
Backstabs in this game just take a certain... feel.

Things that will help:
Being directly behind you're opponent, none of this sorta behind, like your man-meat touching the enemy's toosh.
Being locked on
Having the enemy be in an attack animation (if only because the are less likely to be running away creating distance voiding tip number one).
Pressing the bumper, not the trigger

Jowy
08-17-2012, 04:15 AM
will keep that in mind..as it stands, i really don't have much humanity to throw around to be in human form and can't really risk trying to PvP with one good weapon and some mediocre armour; balder leggings, chain mail helmet and chest, hard leather gauntlets.

back to the depths tomorrow i guess...those little basilisks are kinda cute!

Goldenboko
08-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Rats have sick drop rates for humanities.

Pete for President
08-17-2012, 07:20 AM
Do you know if it matters if I killed the princess if I want to go coop biggie smalls?

I don't think it does. After all, you'll be helping in someone elses world. Just be wary of being in human form, as Darkmoon Blades can be summoned to your world by Gwyndolin to hunt you while you wait.

Goldenboko
08-17-2012, 11:35 AM
...let them come.

Jowy
08-18-2012, 06:04 AM
KNIGHT KIRK got knocked the smurf out

grrrrr blighttown

Jowy
08-21-2012, 02:27 AM
fucking queelag jesus

any tips? think i may need to drop elite knight armour for more mobility.

Goldenboko
08-21-2012, 02:29 AM
Did you choose the master key?

Jiro
08-21-2012, 02:33 AM
Always choose the master key right?

Goldenboko
08-21-2012, 02:37 AM
Anyway if you did, In the back entrance of blighttown, the one taken through New Londo, there's an undead dragon guarding a Dragon Crest Shield, this thing greatly reduces fire damage, it is your friend in this fight. Dat ho mainly gets you with fire damage so you are going to want that, and to unequip your armor because it won't really be helping you against the fire. Other than that, stay back, to engage her in a corner because if she pukes at you, you're smurfed. Dodge back and forth not left and right, and when you want to hit her, get all up in her face.

Jowy
08-21-2012, 02:54 AM
I am not running all the way back there for that shield.

I'll try moving back instead of sideways rolling. Heard the extra poise makes up for lack of mobility?

Goldenboko
08-21-2012, 02:56 AM
I am not running all the way back there for that shield.

I'll try moving back instead of sideways rolling. Heard the extra poise makes up for lack of mobility?

Arguable. I typically use the shield and block when I'm about to get hit. With her I feel she wins a battle of attrition and you should be looking to dodge all damage.

Jowy
08-21-2012, 02:57 AM
We'll see what happens. I'm too enraged to try again tonight.

Madonna
08-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Live behind her. Add some lightning or magic to your attacks. Two-hand your weapon. A lot of her attacks are frontal and have no extra area effect. If she spews lava, back up somewhere and lure her away from it. Get behind her again and keep circling as you hack away. If you have any Humanity, reverse your Hollowing and summon some phantoms. Get two real, live actual people or at least Mildred the Maneater.

Pete for President
08-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Anyway if you did, In the back entrance of blighttown, the one taken through New Londo, there's an undead dragon guarding a Dragon Crest Shield, this thing greatly reduces fire damage, it is your friend in this fight. Dat ho mainly gets you with fire damage so you are going to want that, and to unequip your armor because it won't really be helping you against the fire. Other than that, stay back, to engage her in a corner because if she pukes at you, you're smurfed. Dodge back and forth not left and right, and when you want to hit her, get all up in her face.

Valid tips for sure, but I wouldn't recommend getting up in her face. If Quelaag spits lava while you're in her face, you'll be stuck underneath her because of the lava behind you and her legs to the side of you. If she follows up with her magic explosion or the leg stomp you're doomed.

Live behind her. Add some lightning or magic to your attacks. Two-hand your weapon. A lot of her attacks are frontal and have no extra area effect. If she spews lava, back up somewhere and lure her away from it. Get behind her again and keep circling as you hack away. If you have any Humanity, reverse your Hollowing and summon some phantoms. Get two real, live actual people or at least Mildred the Maneater.

Also valid tips, but 'living behind her' can be really dangerous. Attacking her behind triggers her booty-shake-magic attack, and can easily destroy you in 1 hit. Also you won't be able to see her human body part which sometimes can tell you what move she will use next.

You'll want to avoid her magic explosion at all times. IMO it's her most deadly and maybe even overpowered attack. So to avoid it, only attack her legs in about a 90 degree angle. This way you don't get too close to her body and you can keep an eye on her human body part. What you're looking for is when she leans her human body all the way forward. That tells you she will use her magic explosion. So when you see it happen, roll back immediately.

If you really want to play it safe, go for endurance and only attack when she does the big lava spit, the one where she turns her spider head and shoots big lava streams in several directions. Circle around her, keep the 90 degree angle so you can see her human bit, and attack the legs when you see her doing the big spit. Dodge everything else, most of her attacks can be dodged just by circling or walking backwards.

Like almost everything in this game, patience is key and safety is more important than offense in this battle. It's meant to be a long fight, so don't expect to be dealing heavy chunks of damage. Also she's immune to fire, so don't even bother with fire weapons or pyromancy. Like Madonna said, summoning can help a great deal. The swamp cave bonfire is a popular place for summoning, so you shouldn't have to much trouble finding summon signs.

Jowy
08-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I've been taking two to three swings at her side during breaths with Crystal Sword MH and shield constantly up. I'll try grabbing another 2H wep out of my inventory and giving it a good solid attempt that way. No pine resin available to lightning up a weapon...wasn't there a katana stashed somewhere in Blighttown?

Didn't see anyone to summon...i didn't trip Millie trying to assault me either!

Pete for President
08-21-2012, 05:53 PM
I've been taking two to three swings at her side during breaths with Crystal Sword MH and shield constantly up. I'll try grabbing another 2H wep out of my inventory and giving it a good solid attempt that way. No pine resin available to lightning up a weapon...wasn't there a katana stashed somewhere in Blighttown?

Didn't see anyone to summon...i didn't trip Millie trying to assault me either!

Make sure you're in human form when traversing the swamp. Mildred should invade not that far out from the bonfire. Kill her, and she'll leave her summon sign right outside the fog wall in Quelaag's Domain. Of course human form is required to summon. Also, what level are you? I believe anywhere between 25 and 45 is pretty good for summoning at the cave bonfire.

is located in the upper parts of Blighttown and is quite tricky to get. It's more of a flashy weapon rather than useful in combat imo. If you took the entrance from the Depths you would have seen it. Looking from the top level edge, the treasure is visible on top of a shack down below. Jumping down is the only way to get it. The Fall Control spell reduces the risk.

Without upgrades it won't do as much damage as your +5 Balder Side Sword does, so it's up to you whether you want to go through the chore of getting it. What other weapons do you have on hand?

Jowy
08-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Screw that then!

SL 35 I wanna say. I haaaaaaave +5 BSS, +5 Winged Spear for my usual arsenal. In the bottomless box 2h wise...Zweihander, Gargoyle Tail Axe, Crystal Shortsword, Dragon Tail Greataxe, Black Knight Halberd, Drake Sword, and a few others. Nowhere near enough strength to use BKH or my greataxe. :aimsad:

edit

killed queelag...and eingyl! whoops.

Pete for President
08-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Congrats on beating Quelaag. About Eingyl, that's not that big a deal. Nice to see you're playing without a guide!

Beat the first part of the Tower of Latria. What a mess this place is. It's a lot of backtracking in an environment where everything looks a like, and those Medusa like enemies can be really OP. Shockwave AoE + stun-attack + bite-your-head-off is instant death, and they can spam it right after another. Managed to free Sage Freke, but I didn't find the key to the Blue Phantom. Again, what a poorly designed area this is.

Did like the boss fight on the other hand, very atmospheric. Wasn't too hard as long as you keep moving. The Great Axe +5 did big chunks of damage.

Jowy
08-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I've tried to avoid walkthroughs. All I've really looked up were some of the character builds and learned what a "haveldad" and "zaphander" are.

Roogle
08-24-2012, 02:41 AM
So, do you need help with this game, Eric? I am mostly finished with the game aside from finishing its achievements, which I doubt I will complete. Let me know if you need items or help with a boss.

Jowy
08-24-2012, 04:29 AM
I died a lot in Sen's Funhouse today. Jamil, add me on Xbox live for jolly cooperation! I'll take a lightning weapon if you're just giving stuff away!

Pete for President
08-24-2012, 07:53 AM
Ahh good old Sen's. You'll grow to love this place eventually. Two points of advice without spoiling too much; 1 - bring something with ranged attacks. Anything will do; a bow/crossbow, soul arrows or even fireball/orb is far enough. You'll know when to use it. And 2; right before you can step outside after traversing the last swinging blades, be sure to equip fire resistant gear and make yourself light. When you go outside, keep moving!

Jowy
08-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Swinging blades...awwwww man.

Pete for President
08-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Not too fond of the Tower of Latria so far. The second stage is a mess too, I think I've spent 2 hours wandering the bottom swamp before I found my way out. And even then I was lost. Who knew you had to kill those weird worshipping fellows to drop the chains and such? They definitely cranked up the level design and enemy behaviour in Dark Souls. Anyway, beat the Maneater boss on my 4th try, but I pretty much ate all my grass so farming is up next.

Jowy
08-26-2012, 02:49 AM
This is trying my patience...i went back and did everything I couldn't accomplish earlier. Took down Havel, all of the black knights I left alive. Got stomped by the magical sparkly giant butterfly but in my defence I had next to no magic and only six or so arrows on me, so I wasn't giving 100%. Tried a sorcerer out and helped some people kill the Taurus Demon and Bell Gargoyles, that was pretty rad. Managed to rack up 20K souls and then I got Hellkite's fury to wash that away. :aimcry:

krissy
08-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Not too fond of the Tower of Latria so far. The second stage is a mess too, I think I've spent 2 hours wandering the bottom swamp before I found my way out. And even then I was lost. Who knew you had to kill those weird worshipping fellows to drop the chains and such? They definitely cranked up the level design and enemy behaviour in Dark Souls. Anyway, beat the Maneater boss on my 4th try, but I pretty much ate all my grass so farming is up next.

that was a hard boss fight
i ended up using the center of the room as leverage; we'd circle each other until one of us got the upper hand, but once his bro comes out you better be almost done with him cause they don't care about leverage no more at that point.

thankfully there are bows and arrows

and yeah that entire stage wasn't very nice to the players at all. i actually liked the jails for the atmosphere and their boss alone but it wasn't ... nice, i guess. it's hard to say that in a soul's game, but there was little logic behind all the keys and shiz at the beginning.

Pete for President
08-27-2012, 09:22 AM

that was a hard boss fight
i ended up using the center of the room as leverage; we'd circle each other until one of us got the upper hand, but once his bro comes out you better be almost done with him cause they don't care about leverage no more at that point.

thankfully there are bows and arrows

and yeah that entire stage wasn't very nice to the players at all. i actually liked the jails for the atmosphere and their boss alone but it wasn't ... nice, i guess. it's hard to say that in a soul's game, but there was little logic behind all the keys and shiz at the beginning.

Agreed! I did the same thing circling around the fire, waiting for an opening. I was fighting two of them at once for a fair bit, and running back and forth the area sure helped to separate them. Gave me time to heal too. Eventually we were basically just exchanging hits due to the Great Axe I was using being so slow. Sort of an endurance thing, so grass munching ftw!

Jowy
08-27-2012, 01:16 PM
magic weapon + balder swag sword +8

tower knights die immediately, i am king of the forest.

Pete for President
08-27-2012, 04:37 PM
magic weapon + balder swag sword +8

tower knights die immediately, i am king of the forest.

The Magic Weapon buffs can be very effective in PvP too. Remember that if you get invaded. Are you still at Sen's?

Jowy
08-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Yeah...I only played for a good hour over the weekend. Just went back to take out Havel and explore the woods.

killed the butterfly with arrows and rolling like a madman, didn't summon Beatrice since I was hoping for a BIT of a challenge but I guess I should just go to Sen's for that. Tempted to make a divine weapon and just go exploring a bit down in the Catacombs, but that's probably not worth it, aye?

Madonna
08-28-2012, 08:54 AM
You can totally do the Catacombs at this point and clear it, Jowy; there are rewards enough that you should. If you are messing things up in Darkroot Garden, how are you doing in the Basin? One thing playing through with three characters has taught me: buy a million arrows and keep them stocked.

Sounds like you are pounding through Demon's Souls, Pete for President. Those mindflayers are jerks, and the only real solution to them is trying to blindside them. Have you been to the Shrine of Storms yet? The first creatures you meet there are the poor ancestors of the wheels in Dark Souls. Great place to farm souls.

Have been juggling three characters and have made various progress on them. My main guy summoned a phantom for help and thus found the route I needed to open Anor Londo's first shortcut. Found a painting. Finally sucking it up and putting everything into strength. No actual idea what his SL is.

My pyromancer has killed Blighttown's boss; rang two bells, cleared both Darkroots, revisited the Asylum, cleared the Catacombs, and now debating trying to suffer the Tomb of Giants or go to Sen's. SL 32. Build was going to be Dexterity and Intelligence, but pyromancy is too damn useful; all my slots are for pyromancy spells and I use both my scimitar and bow. There is little room for sorcery and I am regretting that.

Paladin guy, Strength and Faith, is decent, but boring. Miracles do as advertised, but not terribly useful compared to pyromancy or tons of soul arrows. Cleared the Burg, Parish, Depths. Astora's Straight Sword is my current weapon of choice. SL 17.

Jowy
08-29-2012, 06:51 PM
I didn't have any trouble with the basin aside from those crystal jerks and that hydra...going back to the asylum to get the speedy-water ring in hopes that can assist with killing that thing

i am procrastinating going back to sen's, but i'm having fun procrastinating!

Madonna
08-30-2012, 03:39 AM
Truth be told, you do not even need the ring; once you get down to the water's edge, the hydra switches to melee as well. A lot of the heads hit areas outside of the water when striking, so going into the water is not that big of a deal. After killing the hydra, you may want the ring.

Also...that basin is pretty much the crystal jerks and that hydra.

Pete for President
08-30-2012, 01:18 PM
You can totally do the Catacombs at this point and clear it, Jowy; there are rewards enough that you should. If you are messing things up in Darkroot Garden, how are you doing in the Basin? One thing playing through with three characters has taught me: buy a million arrows and keep them stocked.

Sounds like you are pounding through Demon's Souls, Pete for President. Those mindflayers are jerks, and the only real solution to them is trying to blindside them. Have you been to the Shrine of Storms yet? The first creatures you meet there are the poor ancestors of the wheels in Dark Souls. Great place to farm souls.

Have been juggling three characters and have made various progress on them. My main guy summoned a phantom for help and thus found the route I needed to open Anor Londo's first shortcut. Found a painting. Finally sucking it up and putting everything into strength. No actual idea what his SL is.

My pyromancer has killed Blighttown's boss; rang two bells, cleared both Darkroots, revisited the Asylum, cleared the Catacombs, and now debating trying to suffer the Tomb of Giants or go to Sen's. SL 32. Build was going to be Dexterity and Intelligence, but pyromancy is too damn useful; all my slots are for pyromancy spells and I use both my scimitar and bow. There is little room for sorcery and I am regretting that.

Paladin guy, Strength and Faith, is decent, but boring. Miracles do as advertised, but not terribly useful compared to pyromancy or tons of soul arrows. Cleared the Burg, Parish, Depths. Astora's Straight Sword is my current weapon of choice. SL 17.

I am sort of plowing through Demon's Souls indeed, with about 9-10 hours on the clock I've cleared the first two stages of the first 3 Archstones. Arrived in Shrine of Storms and indeed those enemies are like the wheelthings from Dark Souls. Found Snuggly too, hurray for secrets.

About your Paladin; come the latter half of this game miracles will rock every creature upside down. It's good that it's not your first character, because out of all spell-types miracles are the most secretive. The ones you can buy aren't too interesting, but some secret miracle treasures are downright lethal (and one epic defensive one, at least for PvP).

Went back to some Dark Souls PvP today and I had the most epic 1vs3 in the history of 250+ hours of playing this game.
So I invaded in a certain PvP area and got ganked. Three guys with ultra greatswords started swinging immediately as I spawned. Luckily I had a few good dodges which I followed up with a Fire Tempest. It hit 2 out of 3 gankers, giving me the time to make somewhat of an escape. Of course the 3 hyena's were eager to chase me. Now the Great Scythe I use has a really useful running R1 attack, slashing about 180 degrees. So while I was running for the cliffside in order to use the environment to my advantage I'd sometimes turn around and swing directly into my chasers, doing good damage. I take some hits on the go, but I manage.

Arriving at the cliffside I crossed the bridge halfway. One of the gankers (propably the idiot of the gang) ran himself right off into the depths. I laughed like an evil villain while shifting focus to the other two. Unfortunately I was unable to hold my ground due to someone casting the Force miracle. That could easily throw me off the ledge and into my grave. So I fled the bridge and the fight continued, 2vs1. They were eager, and some quick dodge moves allowed me to counter with a Great Combustion combo, sending the other summon to his doom. So now it's 1 on 1, me versus the host. The host heals, while I have to decide whether to pop a humanity to heal myself or eat a green herb for faster stamina recovery. I picked the green herb and started an all out offensive with about 40% HP left. I quickly showed the ganker who's boss, cause 2 hits and a backstab later the entire squad was eliminated.

I feel so... fulfilled. Sort of like a... Robin Hood or something. Gankers gotta pay! :jess:

Madonna
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
That is awesome; congratulations on taking out three guys by your lonesome! I want to be that skilled one day; I usually die when I get invaded, and if there are two people when I invade, I may get one of them, but never both. I am not sure if they do anything to tell you, but I think the first third stage you clear should be World 2's. Doing so will get rid of those pesky barriers in other worlds that may hinder progress. My only advice for any and all bosses in Demon's Souls is to stay mobile. Being a huge slow tank may work with general enemies and other players, but being able to sprint and roll is a gift no one should deny.

I have been playing my initial guy, who turns out to be SL 70 or so. Continued my travels in Anor Londo and it has paid off a fair bit. Solaire helped get me pass one boss fight, and I shrugged off an offer and walked pass an archway I was told not to. I learned not to fear Silver Knights, and am generally ruining the lives of all the enemies I encounter. I have been careful with reversing my hollowing because it seems I upset...a few people. All in all, though, I think I am a better player for having tried out a few different builds before going back to my initial tank. Great Soul Arrow has been strangely a boon to my PvP fights; most people think wielding my Catching Pole in two hands means I only do lumbering melee. With my Oolacile Catalyst and 16 INT, an extra 80~ damage helps seal the deal if people try to run or are debating getting closer. I like missing with my first melee strike; it is a vertical swing, so I use it early, showing an opening, and then the second, horizontal sweep I lock on for, it connects, and the third strike hits them since they are a little staggered.

Edit: Ha ha, I forgot: Oolacile Catalyst does not adjust with INT. My 16 INT is for naught.

Jowy
09-02-2012, 05:17 PM
bump

cleared sen's, did not get killed by the mimic. looked pretty askew and mimics from other games always got me into the habit of eyeballing every suspicious treasure chest. killed iron golem on attempt two...surprisingly easy boss! got the gargoyle halberd, shield, and helmet from them as well...enjoying anor londo so far. should i level past SL40 or keep at it?

Goldenboko
09-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I always found the Iron Golem to be one of the easiest bosses of the game, if not the easiest. I don't think I've ever died against him.

Jowy
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
these archers in anor londo are a whole other fucking story though

jesus christ

Goldenboko
09-04-2012, 06:57 PM
these archers in anor londo are a whole other smurfing story though

jesus christ

Oho! The dreaded bridge! I recommend using a large weapon like a great club to knock that guy out of your way.

NeoCracker
09-04-2012, 07:27 PM
these archers in anor londo are a whole other fucking story though

jesus christ

Hardest level in the game for me.

Roogle
09-04-2012, 09:15 PM
I died a lot in Sen's Funhouse today. Jamil, add me on Xbox live for jolly cooperation! I'll take a lightning weapon if you're just giving stuff away!

I realize that this is a late response. I require an Xbox Live Gold Subscription to get back into the swing of things. I will tend to you when I find a deal for it.