PDA

View Full Version : "Final Fantasy XIV has stopped working"

SwordFox
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
So, after having to battle through a pain in the arse update download system, having to be ripped off with phone charges to retrieve my ID from Square Enix and generally being inconvenienced during the install process, it's finally time to play FF14!

Hooray! I'm really excited and looking forwad to pl-

http://i.imgur.com/qxq1L.png

Oh... Okay then.

Um...

Right.

Let's try again.

...No? Okay, I'll try a few more times...

Still not working? Huh... Maybe if I update all my graphics drivers and all the other drivers and software that might be out of date...

Yes! The main menu has appeared! Finally I can play the game. Let's see, let's click on start... Ooh, I see the "Now Loading" sign at the bot-... AGAIN?!

Sigh.

Okay, let's run the benchmark software. Maybe that will tell me if my computer is up to scr-

http://i.imgur.com/4sKxY.png

OH COME ON!

----------

So... Yeah. Starting to lose my patience here. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the issue and how I can fix it? My computer isn't exactly high-end, but it meets the minimum requirements and should bloody run. I've got no other programs running in the background besides my antivirus software and whatever else the computer actually *needs* to be able to function correctly, and I'm starting to feel like in buying the game I've been ripped off.

Help? D:

Loony BoB
02-16-2012, 01:02 PM
So... Yeah. Starting to lose my patience here. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be the issue and how I can fix it? My computer isn't exactly high-end, but it meets the minimum requirements and should bloody run. I've got no other programs running in the background besides my antivirus software and whatever else the computer actually *needs* to be able to function correctly, and I'm starting to feel like in buying the game I've been ripped off.

Help? D:
Bummer, man. :( Have you tried re-installing the software? What kind of specs do you have?

If only you could get to the character creation bit and sort that end out, you'd be able to post on the official FFXIV forums. =/ Hmm...

SwordFox
02-16-2012, 02:30 PM
I've been looking around and I think the issue might be that I have a crappy integrated graphics card.

Though I think I've seen some people say that they have integrated graphics cards that work fine, so... Anyone with an integrated graphics card that can run FF14 on here? xD

Currently looking into the costs of building my own computer... I've wanted to build my own and upgrade for a while now, so this is a pretty decent opportunity I guess.

(On a completely and totally unrelated note, does anyone remember the remixed FF9 theme that played on the Tetra Master menu screen on FFXI/POL? Anyone know where I can find it? It randomly popped into my head and I can't seem to find it on YouTube or ANYWHERE else and it's driving me a little bit insane. :P)

Loony BoB
02-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Integrated graphics? o_x Ouch. Not sure that will work at all. =/ Sorry. If you have the money to build your own PC, my suggestion would be to post what you're thinking of putting together into this thread and see if it will be good enough to play what you're wanting to play. My suggestion would be to go for at least a 1GB graphics card if you're putting together something for yourself, if only to ensure it will be able to handle future PC games rather than just older ones. Hopefully your wallet can handle the pinch!

If not, what is your current PC? Perhaps a simple graphics card install will be all you need, to avoid having to spend money on a completely new computer.

Make a thread in the Video Game Music forum if you like regarding the FFXI menu music. :) Hopefully someone can help you out there!

Mirage
02-16-2012, 02:59 PM
An integrated graphics chip should work if it fills the game's requirements. Very few do, though.

SwordFox
02-16-2012, 03:08 PM
Integrated graphics? o_x Ouch. Not sure that will work at all. =/ Sorry. If you have the money to build your own PC, my suggestion would be to post what you're thinking of putting together into this thread and see if it will be good enough to play what you're wanting to play. My suggestion would be to go for at least a 1GB graphics card if you're putting together something for yourself, if only to ensure it will be able to handle future PC games rather than just older ones. Hopefully your wallet can handle the pinch!

If not, what is your current PC? Perhaps a simple graphics card install will be all you need, to avoid having to spend money on a completely new computer.

Make a thread in the Video Game Music forum if you like regarding the FFXI menu music. :) Hopefully someone can help you out there!
Well, I've been sort of half-saving up to build a computer for a while, so if I can afford it then now is as good a time as any, I suppose. Just gotta find some cheap components that fit the requirements...

I've currently got a cheap-ish Lenovo laptop, the specs generally meet the system requirements but the graphics card is the only thing I'm uncertain about. It's a crappy Intel integrated card thing that seems to be just a generic card without a proper model number, and I can't install a new card on this machine, so that probably is the problem. I noticed that when it does actually work, (for some reason if I click and drag the game window around I can get to the main menu rather than have it crash straight away), even the Square Enix logo video thingy is messed up. I've tried playing around with system video settings and the FF14 config menu, but it still refuses to load. :/

As for what I'm thinking of building, I don't have a clue yet. xD

Something as cheap as I can get that can still run the game (and others) relatively comfortably, really. I've got a processor and maybe some RAM in mind but that's as much as I've got at the moment.

An integrated graphics chip should work if it fills the game's requirements. Very few do, though.
I assume that a generic Intel integrated chipset won't work, then. :/

Mirage
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
I dunno, you better check the specifications :p.

Anyway, you could put together a PC that can run FF14 adequately for 500 bucks, assuming you already have a monitor.

Carl the Llama
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
If you want to build a custom computer then I would recommend http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ they have a very helpful forums, if you seek advice then seek there, they also have great deals on there aswell.

Mirage
02-16-2012, 11:08 PM
But in reality, I wouldn't *really* buy a computer just to play FF14.

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 03:56 AM
Oh, I'm not getting a new computer JUST to play FF14. I'm not that rich. xD

Like I said, I've been considering it for quite some time now. If I do build a computer though, I'll use the FF14 requirements as a sort of benchmark to see what sort of stuff to get. Most other games seem to run fine on my computer, even new-ish games like Portal 2, though there is a bit of lag and general slowyness with the game.

The way I see it, if my computer can run those games but a bit laggy but can't play FF14 at all, then if I look at computer that meets FF14's requirements then I should be able to run other games without any lag at all and have a system that should run future games easily enough and I should be able to run FF14 as well.

Though this is all just talk at the moment 'cos I still haven't decided on what I want, let alone what I can afford. Which probably isn't very much. :p

Loony BoB
02-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I'll second overclockers, I'm a regular customer of theirs (well, as regular as one can be when it comes to me and upgrading PC components), and they've always helped me out with all sorts of things.

I'll also second what Mirage said, though. =x

nirojan
02-18-2012, 06:23 AM
Post your specs so we know what we're dealing with. It might just be a small upgrade needed to get you up and running.

"Integrated graphics" :|

....Wait for the PS3 release.