PDA

View Full Version : What does the Don do?

Jiro
02-17-2012, 02:32 AM
http://i44.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2qdzb87.png

dil·et·tante noun /ˌdiliˈtänt/  /-ˈtäntē/ 
dilettantes, plural; dilettanti, plural

A person who cultivates an area of interest, such as the arts, without real commitment or knowledge

- a dilettante approach to science

A person with an amateur interest in the arts

Yeah so what the fuck does Don Corneo actually do? This guy has to be full of shit.

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Pimp.

It's an art form!

Do you have any idea of the logistics involved in hoe management?!

Sephex
02-17-2012, 04:17 AM
He draws crappy art, but the people in the slums eat it up. Therefore, he got rich and powerful over pictures that I imagine where drawn like this:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s26/Sephex/don.png

Jiro
02-17-2012, 04:56 AM
I'll tell you what Don Corneo does.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111205174255/finalfantasy/images/thumb/b/b5/Don_Corneo.png/304px-Don_Corneo.png

VS

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110814194652/finalfantasy/images/thumb/5/56/Brother_in_ffx-2.jpg/603px-Brother_in_ffx-2.jpg

In other words, Don Corneo is living off royalties from Shinra. That is, the kid Shinra, who is actually President Shinra. Because Don Corneo is obviously Brother.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 05:01 AM
And here I thought my paint pic I dew in 2 minutes would be the highlight of the thread.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Well I think your portrait of the don is sexy.

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 03:52 PM
Well I think your portrait of the don is sexy.

I concur!

If my printer had any ink in it I'd hook it up, print it out and do despicable things with it.

blackmage_nuke
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
In other words, Don Corneo is living off royalties from Shinra. That is, the kid Shinra, who is actually President Shinra. Because Don Corneo is obviously Brother.

HOLY SHIT This is the best FFVII theory I've ever heard

Jiro
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
It has only taken years but we've finally unlocked the key to everything!

Sephex
02-17-2012, 07:34 PM
It has only taken years but we've finally unlocked the key to everything!

Just thought of something else...even though people know this one. But your Corneo Brother connection is valid because there is a character named Shinra on the same airship as Brother, let alone the same game. This obviously proves that FFX-2 and FFVII take place in the same universe, and some characters are reincarnated semi important NPCs.

Yup.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Do you think the "Promised Land" is actually Spira as well? I mean it would make some of Pressy Shinra's dialogue make less sense but IT COULD BE.

Tigmafuzz
02-18-2012, 01:32 AM
OH GOD MY BRAIN :cry:

Sephex
02-18-2012, 02:00 AM
Do you think the "Promised Land" is actually Spira as well? I mean it would make some of Pressy Shinra's dialogue make less sense but IT COULD BE.

If I recall correctly, Shinra actually says something about using the Farplane to harvest energy.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUN!!

Jiro
02-18-2012, 06:52 AM
I guess we have to wait for Final Fantasy X-3 or Final Fantasy VII-2 or Final Fantasy VII-X to find out!

Tigmafuzz
02-18-2012, 10:01 AM
"VII-X" sounds like it would ruin both games. Unless they add into the story that some point there were two developing worlds that split apart, and one became VII and the other became X. So you could reason that since there are still theoretical "bonds" between the two worlds, Don Corneo is Shinra's brother in X, and therefore Shinra funds Corneo's actions in VII because of his love for his brother in the other world. Also, the game could then be called "VII-X Split" :D

Jiro
02-18-2012, 11:37 PM
VII-X Split is the best name. Also the fact that they connected X(-2) with VII already pissed me off, what's ruining it more gonna do :p

VeloZer0
02-19-2012, 01:32 AM
I like the VII-X concept, but why list it in Roman numerals when you can write it in comprehensively in latin?

Sephex
02-19-2012, 01:43 AM
I like the VII-X concept, but why list it in Roman numerals when you can write it in comprehensively in latin?

Because Square-Enix likes to title their games weird at times. See: Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy.

Jiro
02-19-2012, 03:01 AM
...latin? I can't read latin.

Mercen-X
02-22-2012, 01:09 AM
Dilletante... I don't remember that word in the game.

Jiro
02-22-2012, 02:22 AM
Perhaps it's different in the PSX version! SOMEBODY INVESTIGATE.

Mercen-X
02-24-2012, 02:12 AM
I like the VII-X concept, but why list it in Roman numerals when you can write it in incomprehensible latin?

Final Fantasy Septem et Decem?

I don't see why people take X-2's supposed connection to VII so seriously. All previous titles took a few ideas from their predecessors and implemented them into the storyline (i.e. the crystals). Basically, it just means that no matter how diverse these worlds may be, they all have a lot in common in the end... or in the sequel as the case may be... lol

Rostum
02-24-2012, 03:02 AM
What DOESN'T the Don do? He's a king among thugs.

VeloZer0
02-24-2012, 07:14 AM
Final Fantasy Septem et Decem?
Now that is a name worthy of the S-E marketing department.

xplicit802
11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Pimpin ain't easy

Sephiroth
12-22-2012, 01:27 AM
Just thought of something else...even though people know this one. But your Corneo Brother connection is valid because there is a character named Shinra on the same airship as Brother, let alone the same game. This obviously proves that FFX-2 and FFVII take place in the same universe, and some characters are reincarnated semi important NPCs.

Yup.

Not the theory but Square's statements in the Ultimania Omega prove that Final Fantasy VII and X have the same universe and that the idea was that Final Fantasy VII could be many, many years after Final Fantasy X. It was spoken of the idea that it could be, not that it really is that way. And yet they have the same universe like they said and I think that is very cool.

And Don Corneo is a playboy.

maybee
12-22-2012, 03:37 AM
Isn't Don Italian for the English version of Lord ?

So really he's Lord Corneo of the slums. I remember reading that Corneo means " horny " so really... he's Lord Horny.

Skyblade
12-22-2012, 05:39 AM
I don't remember anyone getting upset about the "Rufus Shinra March" showing up in FFIX. Yet a kid named Shinra in X-2 suddenly means a definite connection?

There are only so many names to be had. How many guys in the world are named "Chris"?

I think an identical musical score showing up is far more indicative of a connection than a repeated name.

ZOMG! Biggs and Wedge and Cid are in every Final Fantasy! EVERY GAME MUST BE IN THE SAME UNIVERSE!

They're all FF games. They share stuff. What's the big deal?

How many Masamunes, Murasamas, Ramuhs, Shivas, Bahamuts, Tonberries, Moogles, etcetera have shown up? It's a name. Nothing more.

Sephiroth
12-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I don't remember anyone getting upset about the "Rufus Shinra March" showing up in FFIX. Yet a kid named Shinra in X-2 suddenly means a definite connection?

It has a definite connection because they want it to have a definite connection. The pyreflies have are the same substance (just not green) the lifestream is, the whole farplane and afterlife concept is the same, the materia and sphere concept is the same, the concept of using life energy for living is the same, et cetera. And the Final Fantasy X-2 "one day there could be a city which never sleeps, so a new Zanarkand" sentence is about Midgar since Midgar is born out of Mako energy. Final Fantasy IX is a big hommage to all Old School Final Fantasies. Final Fantasy X is made to have real connections. The unsual name of the character Shinra who is interested in the same concept the company ShinRa was made purposely and for a real connection. So just do you not get upset because you don't like the connection. It is fact, Nojima, Watanabe and many others wanted it to be and is not comparable to normal Final Fantasy elements like the ones you have mentioned - or Gilgamesh who already hints in Final Fantasy XII that all Final Fantasys are connected dimensionally in general. Like I have already said, it was not said that is really happens after Final Fantasy VII but that it could happen since he had the idea of it and intentionally made some of those connections while writing the concept (definitely not from the beginning but still) and that it is the same universe was stated.

Jiro
12-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Word of God confirms it, actually. It came from an interview somewhere with someone. I forget the member of Square Enix, but it is confirmed that the two exist in the same universe.

Clo
12-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Could you own a mansion off your pimpin' money?

In Midgar? Yes.

Jiro
12-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Don Corneo could own Midgar itself if he wanted to. Also, to answer my own question: fuck bitches, get paid.

DrAssenov
12-26-2012, 05:37 PM
In a way, the Don and President Shinra are both doing the same thing: exploiting people for money.

Don does it through pimping prostitutes, and Shinra does it by forcing a product/lifestyle onto people. Which is kind of the same thing, really.

Seriousness aside, the Don scenes were some of the most hilarious parts of the game. I couldn't believe they actually put a pimp in a game! That and the honeybee inn. XD

Jiro
12-27-2012, 02:20 AM
Well when it boils down to it, every business owner (incl. political leaders; governments are businesses too) get money by exploiting people.