PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

Pike
02-17-2012, 05:21 AM
Star Trek is fantastic. I pretty much grew up on the original series + movies + The Next Generation and I credit them with imbuing me with a distinct sense of optimism regarding the future. I don't care how cheesy it is compared to "better" sci-fi, I will always love Trek.

Where are my fellow Trekkies at? :love:

Agent Proto
02-17-2012, 05:36 AM
I'm not a Trekkie, but my dad was a big Trekkie when he was alive. He has quite the collection of Star Trek books and several memorabilia. I wish I had become one so my dad and I could have something to talk about while he was alive. I do like the shows and movies though.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
*Hops on a shuttle craft and leads an away team to the surface of this thread.*

:cool:

Madame Adequate
02-17-2012, 06:28 AM
I've never rated Trek as highly as some other sci-fi, like Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond, but there's a reason it has endured so long. I'm watching DS9 currently and I'm only in season 2 but it's already my favorite Trek by far. Dat Odo. Dat Dax. Dem Cardassians.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-17-2012, 06:31 AM
I'm watching DS9 on Netflix too! Season 3. :kakapo:

Bunny
02-17-2012, 06:43 AM
I've never been much of a Trek fan. TNG was alright, but I couldn't get into it enough to follow it at any great lengths. That said, I'm not abundantly a fan of science fiction as a genre, I much prefer flights of fantasy to dreams of outer space.

That isn't to say that I dislike Star Trek or science fiction, they just aren't my main squeeze.

starlet
02-17-2012, 07:11 AM
I just finished Voyager (all 7 seasons) the other day. I used to love Star Wars when I was a kid but star trek has grown on me lately. I think I'm going to watch next generation next.

theundeadhero
02-17-2012, 09:41 AM
When I was a kid my mom would sometimes watch Star Trek so I started to watch it too and become fond of it. I haven't seen anything new on tv if there is any but I always watch what movies come out.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 11:58 AM
I am mainly a fan of The Next Generation. A huge part of my childhood was watching that show with my parents. As a matter of fact, I have been throwing on an episode of it here and there on Netflix. I am not opposed to the other series, however.

Slothy
02-17-2012, 12:48 PM
I just finished Voyager (all 7 seasons) the other day. I used to love Star Wars when I was a kid but star trek has grown on me lately. I think I'm going to watch next generation next.

Have you at least seen TNG before? Because if not then watching Voyager first is a bit unusual. Before Enterprise it was the redheaded step child of the franchise.

Anyway, I've seen every episode of every series with the possible exception of a few from the original series. I've actually seen most of them enough times that if any episode is coming on, I can watch the opening and know exactly what happens in the entire episode inside of a minute. It's actually part of why I haven't watched episodes on even a semi-regular basis in years despite most of the series being on everyday.

TNG is easily my favourite if only for Patrick Stewart (his performance in Chain of Command part 2 being utterly awesome), but DS9, particularly as the show progressed, brought some much needed change to the franchise. Then they pretty much threw all of that out the window with Voyager and Enterprise, neither of which was very good even if they both had their moments.

Episodes like the Drumhead, the aforementioned Chain of Command part 2, and the Inner Light from TNG, and The siege of AR-558, Far Beyond the Stars, Trials and Tribble-ations, and probably more I'm forgetting from DS9 are among some of my favourite stories to pop up in the franchise.

Pike
02-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I effing love DS9. And TNG. And all of Star Trek in general. EVEN THE NEW MOVIE. I LOVED IT.

My entire family is made up of Trekkies. It's great.

You guys are making me want to rewatch DS9 and that's a wonderful feeling.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
TNG is easily my favourite if only for Patrick Stewart (his performance in Chain of Command part 2 being utterly awesome)...

THERE! ARE! FOUR! LIGHTS!

Peegee
02-17-2012, 06:10 PM
it's definitely one of the better shows - though it suffers greatly by being incessantly western-centric, sexist and sometimes racist.

(yeah yeah I'm too focused on this sort of thing for a lounge thread)

I really like sci fi and star trek is by far one of the better ones when it comes to plausible science - ignoring things like the difficulty of pushed > c travel and other liberties in science, it at least attempts to be coherent, which I appreciate.

I'm more of a fan of TNG and DS9 than anything else (bc i don't watch them). I tried to watch TOS once but it's too drawn out.

my favourite concept is the borg, for philosophical reasons.

Madame Adequate
02-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I just finished Voyager (all 7 seasons) the other day.

You're made of much, much stronger stuff than I.

Slothy
02-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Speaking of Voyager and the Borg, I loved the latter until the writing staff for the former laid their hands on them. I'm not sure I've ever seen a better example of a classic enemy getting their balls completely cut off and then stepped on. I find that alone is enough of a reason to hate that show with a passion. Not that they didn't give me plenty more reasons.

chionos
02-17-2012, 06:42 PM
it's definitely one of the better shows - though it suffers greatly by being incessantly western-centric, sexist and sometimes racist.

Kinda funny given Star Trek's history as being progressively non-sexist and racist. Like showing the first interracial kiss on television. Having a female Captain. DS9's lesbians. (the Dax character had some interesting things to say about sexuality, given that it was essentially the combination of several people, both male and female, with varying sexual preferences).

Oh, yeah, and I'm a Trekkie 4 life, son. I've watched every episode of every iteration. Enterprise was atrocious though. I think I'm a big enough fan to get away with hating it. I don't feel guilty or anything. Before it, Voyager or the first season of DS9 were the worst that ST had to offer, and I even enjoyed Voyager thoroughly. My mom has a growing collection of tribbles that I hope to inherit some day.

I've never rated Trek as highly as some other sci-fi, like Babylon 5 and Space: Above and Beyond

You, sir, are a cad and an imposter. I once had something akin to respect for you, good sir, but now...

Oh, yeah, best Captain is Jean-Luc, nobody else even comes close. To compare Picard and Kirk is to compare a three course meal at a five star restaurant to a happy meal from mcdonalds. Only hipster trekkies prefer Kirk.

theundeadhero
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
I agree that TNG was the best but I've watched a lot of Deep Space 9 too.

fire_of_avalon
02-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm in the TNG/DS9 boat too. One of the best things about my summer vacations as a kid were getting to stay up late and watch TNG in syndication with my great grandma so even as I watch it now there's a nostalgia factor for me. I catch the odd episode of TNG here and there, but I think it's coming time to sit down and watch them all.

I was also named female Will Riker for the summer of 2002 among my group of nerd friends. I was pleased.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
You only got that name because you can grow a thick goatee. :colbert:

Freya
02-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah I grew up with it. My mom has been a trekkie for forever and a day. I agree with the comments about TNG/DS9.

Sephex
02-17-2012, 09:56 PM
I'm in the TNG/DS9 boat too. One of the best things about my summer vacations as a kid were getting to stay up late and watch TNG in syndication with my great grandma so even as I watch it now there's a nostalgia factor for me. I catch the odd episode of TNG here and there, but I think it's coming time to sit down and watch them all.

I was also named female Will Riker for the summer of 2002 among my group of nerd friends. I was pleased.

Relevant video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck-VIA1GUCY

I also like these ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGvYIZppmQc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8aEhtJ-sgg&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtmbzJNPsaQ&feature=related

Værn
02-18-2012, 05:52 AM
My dad has all of The Original Series on BluRay, so I decided to start watching it a few months ago. After finishing it, I began watching The Next Generation on Netflix, and am currently about halfway through season 3. It's full of awesome ^_^