PDA

View Full Version : Little Ponies

Yar
02-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I can't tell any of you guys apart with all your pony avs and pony sigs. :freak:

Discuss why you hate ponies. :greenie:

Jiro
02-17-2012, 07:30 AM
I think you will experience overwhelming support for the ponies, actually. It can get confusing but the ponies are distinctive after a while.

Shlup
02-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Sorry, anti-poniness is against Eyes on Final Fantasy policy. I'm going to have to ban you.

Parker
02-17-2012, 09:45 AM
i remember thinking "well hey at least there isnt anything worse than furry fandom"

how wrong i was

Freya
02-17-2012, 10:22 AM
I like the show. I hate the fanclub. Like stfu about goddamn ponies already. Keep it in your thread :colbert:

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 12:20 PM
I put my avatar picture as a pony pretty much mainly because I didn't have anything else to put there.

This thread has prompted me to change it, though. Just to be more on-topic with the site in general. :p

FROM BEST PONY TO BEST CHARACTER, AHOY!

Shlup
02-17-2012, 12:24 PM
That's it! Justy is ruining EoFF!

Shattered Dreamer
02-17-2012, 01:49 PM
hmmm a smell a hipster :lol:

Pike
02-17-2012, 02:38 PM
I put my avatar picture as a pony pretty much mainly because I didn't have anything else to put there.

This thread has prompted me to change it, though. Just to be more on-topic with the site in general. :p

Nooo :(

i remember thinking "well hey at least there isnt anything worse than furry fandom"

how wrong i was

Joke's on you bro, we ARE furries

EDIT: Just for you Justy, I have changed my avatar to a version of a pony

Sephex
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
I don't really get the whole Pony thing, but I don't really mind if other people are into it. The only way I get mad at such things is if someone forces a viewpoint, ideal, etc. on me.

Like, I'm totally into fighting elephants, but I won't make someone fight one or expect them to understand.

Parker
02-17-2012, 03:35 PM
[
Joke's on you bro, we ARE furries

lol

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 03:51 PM
Out of curiosity, how rich in furry goodness are these forums?

Pike
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Out of curiosity, how rich in furry goodness are these forums?

There are a few of us. :shifty:

Agent Proto
02-17-2012, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't call myself a furry. I just like the show. As for this place? The size of the herd here isn't very large. There's like about a dozen members or so with the pony avatars, but I think there's roughly 20 or so members that might consider themselves bronies. The only reason we're standing out is because a couple of us are heavy posters.

Psychotic
02-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I think people like ponnies because 4chan told them to like ponnies and they can't decide whether or not 4chan was being ironic. They don't want to be left out because 4chan is COOL! It's important to prove to the world how much you really really like ponnies if you want to be COOL too.

That's the why, but I don't really have a problem with people liking ponnies though. It's certainly one of the less annoying fads to come from the internet. The animation looks kind of neat too I guess, although I've never been interested enough to watch an episode.

Jiro
02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Proto just referred to himself as part of the herd, in the same post where he denied being a furry.

Caught you out bro.

Pike
02-17-2012, 05:32 PM
I think people like ponnies because 4chan told them to like ponnies and they can't decide whether or not 4chan was being ironic. They don't want to be left out because 4chan is COOL! It's important to prove to the world how much you really really like ponnies if you want to be COOL too.

Speaking of ponnies and 4chan, moot caved and made an MLP board. Click at your own risk. (http://boards.4chan.org/mlp/)

Jiro
02-17-2012, 06:43 PM
wait what

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I love how even when someone makes a pony hate thread, it immediately becomes a pony love thread

Sephex
02-17-2012, 07:27 PM
wait what

I'm not surprised. If I frequented there like I used to, I would be happy to see less clutter in the forums, even though they are cluttered with other random BS.

Yar
02-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I love how even when someone makes a pony hate thread, it immediately becomes a pony love threadI don't mind the pony love. I just hate confusing everyone with everyone else!

Yeargdribble
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM

That's the why, but I don't really have a problem with people liking ponnies though. It's certainly one of the less annoying fads to come from the internet. The animation looks kind of neat too I guess, although I've never been interested enough to watch an episode.

Yup. I didn't care enough to watch an episode either. I couldn't give a tit less what 4chan does and honestly try to stay away as often as possible. I think it's safer for humanity if nobody ever tries to live up to anything because 4chan thought it was cool.

Eventually the pony stuff kept popping up that I just wanted to check out a few episodes just have a frame of reference for the culture.

After the first episode I just thought it was a wonderfully animated, but ultimately silly, cutesy show. I gave it a few more and started thinking, "Hmm... there characters are sort of interesting." I decided to watch a little more and eventually I was fully hooked.

I'm certainly not a furry and while I don't mind some rule 34 of actual human characters from media I'm familiar with, the idea of rule 34 of ponies seems absolutely abhorrent to me.

What I find interesting is the need for anything that is remotely popular to have a counter movement directly proportional to its popularity and based not at all on arguments of merit. This happens with virtually all media types. It's one thing to be indifferent and not care about something, but to out and out hate it shows something far more juvenile. Justin Bieber... huge fan follow, huge hate following. I couldn't care less about Justin Bieber really. His form of bubblegum pop isn't any more horrible than any the rest. People just hate him because other people like him.

Same thing with Twilight. I haven't read the books or seen the movies so I don't care and will withhold judgement until I'm actually familiar with the content. Meanwhile, other people who aren't familiar seem to find the need to demonize it simply because it's popular.

I guess it's always ultimately cooler to be part of the anti-something group. It goes along with the whole "nothing is cool but apathy" mentality that I see damn near every day. If you want to dislike something, do it based on merit or lack of merit of the product, not on something you unfamiliar with or the fanclub of such.

Freya
02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Wait, how did it become a pony love thread? I'm not seeing that part hypo.

I honestly get you guys confused a lot. I don't see "oh there is berry whatever and rainbow explosion" I see "pony person". Sorry.:shobon:

ALSO: Yearg, even with all those examples, it's not the whatever itself that people hate. It's the fans. And you pony fans are obnoxious with your pony pride x.x The internet is covered in ponies these days. Don't get me wrong, it's a cute show, ponies are awesome but ugh enough with the ponies everywhere!

Agent Proto
02-17-2012, 07:52 PM
That's why we have SCREEN NAMES to tell everyone whose post they are reading.

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
That's why we have SCREEN NAMES to tell everyone whose post they are reading.
Wait, is that what those things are? I always thought those were some kind of barcode!

Freya
02-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Who looks at screen names when there are avatars and sigs to notice? :p You're just grumpy Proto cause this means I think of you as the same person as hypo xD

Yar
02-17-2012, 08:01 PM
tbf I can dig the pony love. You all know I have an unhealthy obsession with Pokey. :love:

theundeadhero
02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
think people like ponnies because 4chan told them to like ponnies and they can't decide whether or not 4chan was being ironic. They don't want to be left out because 4chan is COOL! It's important to prove to the world how much you really really like ponnies if you want to be COOL too.Is that what I am to you now, Sally? Just an internet cool-theme chaser? Someone who let's the masses tell me what to like? Yeah? Well... YOU ONLY LIKE WALRUSEYES CAUSE NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC SAID THEY WERE COOL! :cry:

I honestly get you guys confused a lot. I don't see "oh there is berry whatever and rainbow explosion" I see "pony person". Sorry.That's like saying I can't tell the difference between anybody with a Final Fantasy avatar. BoB? Rikkulover69? Sexy Cactuar? They all post exactly the same!

We keep the talk to one thread for the most part. You only have yourselves to blame for bringing this pony topic to the attention of GC and the bots.

Freya
02-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I can't :shifty:

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 08:18 PM
Does this mean I can put Rainbow Dash as my avatar again? :p

Pike
02-17-2012, 08:19 PM
tbf I can dig the pony love. You all know I have an unhealthy obsession with Pokey. :love:

Pokey thread? Pokey thread.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1LgmYNlBQLs/SWmAdvoVCdI/AAAAAAAAABo/tDCGkqGa0vg/s400/toys365+015.jpg

EDIT: Sometimes I have to do a doubletake when Bubba or Parker post because they have the same tonberry avatar, just flipped upside down.

Yar
YAY

Freya
You can put whatever you want swordfox. You didn't have to change it. :p

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 08:20 PM
yes. Rainbow dash is great! But it is up to you

theundeadhero
02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Does this mean I can put Rainbow Dash as my avatar again? I encourage it. She's my favorite of the mane 6.

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 08:43 PM
You can put whatever you want swordfox. You didn't have to change it. :p

yes. Rainbow dash is great! But it is up to you

Does this mean I can put Rainbow Dash as my avatar again? I encourage it. She's my favorite of the mane 6.
I know, I know. :p

I'm just not sure who to put, though...

Laguna and RD are both pretty amazing, to be fair.

MJN SEIFER
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
I've never been to 4chan, ever. I just like the show. I didn't even know it was popular when I first saw it, well I knew that it was well recieved because the first time I saw it was on YouTube, and I just thought it was a fanmade thing,I didn't even know it was a real show until I did research on it. Now I just love it, and will show my support to it. I don't by the whole "the fans force it down our throats thing" because we don't. The internet is public so fans of something will discuss it publically. We have a thread dedicated to Friendship is Magic, but we also have threads dedicated to other things, some of them you may be a fan of. If we were forcing it down your throat, we'd interupt every other thread and insisting "you should be talking about ponies!" we don't do that.

I'm really tired of the whole popularity thing. You think I care about the popularity of FIM? Okay, it feels good when something I like is popular, but did I become a fan based on it's popularity? No I became a fan because I liked it. I am a fan of many things that were never popular, ever, and sometimes, even though I respected other people's opinions it was always kind of sad, tat it was hard for me to publically express my love for something that no one liked. But I would be a fan whatever happened. If Friendship is Magic was a hated show I'd still like it, because at the end of the day, while I respect everyone elses opinion. I listen to mine first.

Freya
02-17-2012, 09:00 PM
we don't do that.

Hypo does :p

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 09:33 PM
I just like the show. I didn't even know it was popular when I first saw it.

Same here. I got introduced to the show by a friend in high school who showed me the sonic rainboom. I was like:
ok, that kind of neat, but this is still a little girls show. then a month or two later I watched an episode with my sister (cokatrice) and I liked it and fluttershy. I didn't see it again for a while then one day I was bored, and sat in a room where it was playing. After that I was hooked.

Pike
02-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I watched old MLP as a kid, but I started watching the new MLP about a year ago, back when it was first starting to turn into a big deal at 4chan but hadn't really spread to the rest of the internet yet. Like a lot of people, it took a couple of episodes to warm up to it but then I fell in love with the characters and cuteness.

I think I was one of the first people on this forum to have a ponny avatar/sig :smug: In fact, MILF starting our ponny thread was one of the big motivators for me to return to active posting here after a hiatus.

Now, back to posting Pokey:

http://imgc.allpostersimages.com/images/P-488-488-90/56/5657/CBRMG00Z/posters/women-s-gumby-pokey-can-t-read-my-pokey-face.jpg

Freya
02-17-2012, 09:49 PM
I bought Justy a Pokey toy last year :3

http://www.funnyfur.com/productimages/multipet/pokey.jpg

SwordFox
02-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I'm a brony, but apparently I haven't been paying attention.

Who the hell is Pokey? xD

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 10:14 PM
not a pony. something from some old tv show.
Was it gumbi?

Pike
02-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Pokey is a pony from the old Gumby show.

I like all ponies. Including ones that are not from MLP.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I'm confused as to how we are "only doing it because 4chan said it was cool." 4chan has been waging an active war against ponies for months, and only as of this morning has Moot attempted to quell the dissent by sequestering the pony to it's own board outside of /b/ and /co/.

When it comes to EoFF, the only time I see pony is either a sig or ava, or in the MLP thread in the lounge. That, or when someone makes a thread lamenting Brony presence on EoFF. Then the herd descends and takes over the thread with love and tolerance. Peace be with you non-Bronies.

Hollycat
02-17-2012, 10:56 PM
Well said apple jack.

Jiro
02-18-2012, 06:31 AM
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2516146/gumby%20sig.png

Psychotic
02-18-2012, 07:14 AM
Look you guys I'm not judging you for liking ponnies. Don't be internet defensive! You can like ponnies! I just think, like most internet fads these days, 4chan is why there is a ponny craze. Maybe that is not what drew you, personally, to ponnies, and I can respect that. But a lot of people are doing it 'cause it's internet cool in my expert internet opinion.

MJN SEIFER
02-18-2012, 07:22 AM
Look you guys I'm not judging you for liking ponnies. Don't be internet defensive! You can like ponnies! I just think, like most internet fads these days, 4chan is why there is a ponny craze. Maybe that is not what drew you, personally, to ponnies, and I can respect that. But a lot of people are doing it 'cause it's internet cool in my expert internet opinion.
I don't deny that there are people who are part of it, just cause it's a fad, but there are those of us (such as me) who don't care about fads, and will remain fans even when the "fad" ends. Most people who joined just because it was a fad would have gotten bored by now anyway.

EDIT: As you can see, I was being somewhat "Internet Defensive" there, but not just about ponies, but just anything in general - when it comes to fads there are three people in the world.

1. Someone who blindly follows a fad.
2. Someone who always avoids a fad even if there's a chance they might like it, because they don't want to look like they're part of a fad.
3. Someone who just likes something.

I'm a "3" and always will be. Also, while I respect your opinion, I've never scene any Brony mention 4chan in a positive way after the first episode, most just watched the show. If this seems like a rant, I'm sorry it's really late/early and I am going to sleep soon. But I hope you understand that most of us would be fans either way, without 4chan.

Yar
02-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I have this shirt. :love:
http://www.teesforall.com/images/Gumby_Pokey_Wingman_Gray_Shirt2.jpg

also, lol @ people taking this thread seriously

NorthernChaosGod
02-18-2012, 08:42 AM
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2vct4iq.jpg

http://i41.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/kd4sja.png

Parker
02-18-2012, 09:50 AM
hating brony things irl atm

which makes me the loser i guess :(

Tigmafuzz
02-18-2012, 09:57 AM
What if everyone who expresses their dislike for MLP:FIM is really a brony deep down but doesn't want to admit it?

Shattered Dreamer
02-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I'll begin to worry about all this brony stuff when my offline friends start talking about it. Somehow I don't see that happening :lol:

Laddy
02-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Nah, MILF and Pike got me into the show. And I owe them dearly for that. :love:

Ponies are cool. I like ponies. But I understand other people may not like ponies. However, while I do see an abundance of brony art and culture getting more exposure, I'd hardly call most of the brony culture obnoxious. In fact, in terms of fandom zealotry I prefer bronies to damn near any other fandom.

But whatevs. Love and tolerance.

theundeadhero
02-18-2012, 03:55 PM
Psy, if you thought my post was serious than you deserved me calling you Sally.

I heard about MLP from the thread in <i>The Lounge</i> but didn't have the ability to watch it at the time. By the time I did have the ability I had completely forgotten about it until one day a friend of mine said she wanted to come over that Saturday. She would bring cake and we had to watch MLP. It reminded me of hat thread so we did, and three to four episodes into it I started to like it so I kept watching. Then I realized how big it was on the internet.

Tigmafuzz
02-18-2012, 04:13 PM
I actually don't like ponies that much. I mean, they're cute and all and I love horses, and I would love to actually own and raise one. But I'm not that attached to the idea of ponies. For example, most of the internet simply LOVES the idea of cats. I just never got the whole "boys like blood, girls like ponies" thing. It's not like either gender is biologically associated with the things they like. It's mostly social conditioning. Girls are shown movies about princesses and are given dolls, while boys are shown wrestling and given comic books. Boys associate themselves with male figures that they can relate to or someday "grow up to be" and girls do the same thing with female role models.
Anyway back on topic, I just watch MLP because I think it's a pretty good show :monster:

MJN SEIFER
02-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Also, I may be speaking purley from my experiances at the Friendship is Magic Wikia, but if that's anything to go by, most Bronies either don't care about, or show dissdain for 4chan's influance - one Brony, who was trying to get a character's name changed, and one the points she/he made in his/her favor was that she was named on 4chan (my side of the argument was hardly anyone remembered that, and the name had been so widley used, including by someone who works on the show it didn't matter). So yeah, 4chan has barely eny influance on Bronies these days, if it ever did (which I seriously doubt).

Psychotic
02-18-2012, 06:27 PM
Psy, if you thought my post was serious than you deserved me calling you Sally.I didn't mean you, sir. We're all internet friends here!

Ponny people I do not mean any disrespect or harm to any of you. You are a great internet people and I can respect you and your love of ponnies. I am an outsider looking in on your internet culture and I am merely trying to understand. I wish for no internet discord or internet conflict between you and I. I come in peace, as a scholar.

MJN SEIFER
02-18-2012, 06:43 PM
I didn't mean you, sir. We're all internet friends here!

Ponny people I do not mean any disrespect or harm to any of you. You are a great internet people and I can respect you and your love of ponnies. I am an outsider looking in on your internet culture and I am merely trying to understand. I wish for no internet discord or internet conflict between you and I. I come in peace, as a scholar. That's good, and thanks. If you're interested, I will send you explainations as to why I personally am a fan of the show (and even how I got into it) but only if you are interested, because I may go into detail, I can be very articulate when it comes to something I am passionate about. Since I know you meant no harm, I will appologise if I went off the rails earlier. I just hate it when people become slaves to "fads" (and hating something because it's a fad, is ironically a slave to fads too, as your still letting it influance your opinion) I know that's not what you were doing now.

I didn't mean you, sir. We're all internet friends here!

Ponny people I do not mean any disrespect or harm to any of you. You are a great internet people and I can respect you and your love of ponnies. I am an outsider looking in on your internet culture and I am merely trying to understand. I wish for no internet discord or internet conflict between you and I. I come in peace, as a scholar. He doesn't realise the irony...:jess:

Pike
02-19-2012, 03:35 AM
ITT:

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lud0txl1IT1r3k1m8o1_500.png

Laddy
02-19-2012, 03:50 AM
He doesn't realise the irony...:jess:
I don't think it was unintentional...