PDA

View Full Version : Playstation Vita

Bubba
02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
OK, so we are two days away from the (US/UK) release of this mighty machine... who's getting one?

Sales have been pretty poor in the land of the rising sun so how do we think it'll do over here?

Personally, I think it looks sexy as smurf and can't wait for Wednesday to come around. I have it pre-ordered along with a copy of Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

I'm also gonna download FFVII from the store for another playthrough which will look pretty sweet on that 5-inch OLED screen.

CimminyCricket
02-20-2012, 03:26 PM
I don't think I'll be getting it until this summer, but I am really excited to get it. They're pushing out a Disgaea 3 port on it and I cannot wait to play it.

Hollycat
02-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I am getting it. gonna get an 8 gig and wait till DW next comes out before buying a game.

Slothy
02-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I'd like to get one, but right now that desire is fueled solely by how powerful the damn thing is. There's not a whole lot on the horizon that interests me aside from Uncharted and the potential for the Persona 4 port to come over here. So I'll hold to my wait and see attitude. If there are enough titles to justify it in a year or two then I may pull the trigger on one.

Side note, I can't stand all of the doom and gloom about the sales in Japan immediately after launch. It's not particularly surprising to me since the launch lineup is pretty terrible, especially for the Japanese market. I think it's a little better for the US in that regard, mind you, handheld gaming is bigger in Japan than here so not having a great lineup there is a pretty big deal. Still, I don't see it as the end of the world after a month or so and launching in one territory. We'll have to see how it does over here, and if any announcements come out which may change things a bit in the next few months.

I think the 3DS is proof that things can turn around a bit even several months down the line, though I don't think price is the biggest issue since the Vita is at least worth what they're asking in terms of technology. Though it may be that there's a ceiling on what people are willing to pay for a handheld.

Hollycat
02-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I can't wait to play Orochi on the Vita

Loony BoB
02-20-2012, 03:58 PM
I would totally buy this one if I had the cash to spare, but I'm saving for a wedding and that takes priority. I suppose.

DMKA
02-20-2012, 04:22 PM
It makes me sad that it's sold so poorly in Japan because it's the most impressive handheld I've ever seen. I really hope it sells better in NA and EU because it's got a ton of potential.

Like every console I buy, I'll be a couple years (or more) late to the party. I probably won't even think of getting one until it's been out for a year or two and the price has substantially dropped. Although, Uncharted: Golden Abyss is tempting the hell out of me to break that rule and run out and buy one.

Hell, I barely got my PSP less than a year ago, and between it and my Android phone, my portable gaming needs are quite satisfied at the moment.

I definitely plan on getting one in the future though.

Bubba
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
If I had one of the old PSP's then I'd probably wait for a while as well for the inevitable price drop. I've wanted a portable platform for FFVII, VIII & IX for ages but I never took the plunge. Uncharted was a no-brainer though for my first Vita game.

There are a few others that are definitely grabbing my attention... Wipeout 2048, Everybody's Golf and Hustle Kings but I really can't justify spending any more money on it than I already am. Especially when Sony are making me shell out for a memory card as well which is a bit of a joke.

Sephex
02-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I usually get these type of things right away, but I am waiting this time due to budget constraints and the fact that I have a bad feeling about this one. I don't want to see it fail, but still.

Del Murder
02-20-2012, 05:54 PM
I will have one of these at some point, but not until there are more than 1 game for it I want to play (Uncharted). Maybe if SE ever makes KH:BBS2.

DMKA
02-20-2012, 05:55 PM
I usually get these type of things right away, but I am waiting this time due to budget constraints and the fact that I have a bad feeling about this one. I don't want to see it fail, but still.
Yeah, there's that too. I've been fortunate enough to never have purchased one of those consoles that died a premature death, and always thought "Man that would suck to dish out all that money and then lose support so early for a product!" I don't think that will happen, but the initial sales have made me leery of the idea.

Although at the same time, if everyone has that attitude about a product then no one buys it and it can't help but fail. :p

Sephex
02-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, there's that too. I've been fortunate enough to never have purchased one of those consoles that died a premature death, and always thought "Man that would suck to dish out all that money and then lose support so early for a product!" I don't think that will happen, but the initial sales have made me leery of the idea.

Although at the same time, if everyone has that attitude about a product then no one buys it and it can't help but fail. :p

I have also thought of that possibility. Well, only time will tell. Though it didn't nearly have much of a bad start, the 3DS is doing a good job getting out of the rut it was in. It's still no "IT PRINTS MONEY!" deal, but I remember a lot of analysts saying it would have been a lot worse by now. Maybe the Vita can pull up in time as well.

Hollycat
02-20-2012, 06:19 PM
I honestly think there is more want for the vita here in america than there was in japan

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm mostly excited about PS2 remakes, remasters, and the like. Most of my favorite games are on the PS2, and the idea of having my whole PS2 library in one tiny machine is very exciting! I'm looking forward to Persona 4 The Golden and FFX HD. Might buy it depending on how much of my tax return I spend on a trip to Iowa.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I'm not really optimistic for it. Not because i think it's a bad system, its obviously frickin sweet. I think thats going to be it's problem though. There seems to be some curse that says when handhelds show up, they better they are the more they fail. Game gear vs. Green Screen gameboy? Psp vs. ds/advance? Seems like the more powerful system always loses.

That said, It's on my hitlist too. I only hope that it doesn't induce the hideous hand cramps of the psp...

Bolivar
02-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I'm a big Sony fan, but I'm waiting. Obviously it's a very sexy machine and the launch lineup is actually pretty good, maybe great even, with UMarvel vs. Capcom 3, Everybody's/Hot Shots Golf, and Unit 13 which between those 3 would probably hold me over for quite some time. Even without the games it would be worth it for me to download my digital PSP/PSOne Classics library, which I'm actually pretty fond of now, and just play that on the OLED while lounging with it to browse the web, use facebook/twitter/etc. But there's only one problem:

The memory cards. Like I already said, I have a huge library of digital PSP and PSOne titles I would want to put on the thing, not to mention the amount of music and videos any self-respecting user would put on it anyway. That's hardly enough room for Vita games, which I wouldn't want to buy physically.

And that card would cost me another $120.

So I can't justify spending $370 for the (3G-less) console itself when I already have incredible titles I haven't beaten yet on my DS and PSP. I think by the time I beat some of those games, the price comes down on the cards, maybe even the machine if it tanks (!) and the library broadens up a bit, that'll be the perfect time for me to go for it. I think the Vita looks amazing, there's just a lot of reasons to hold off, as Sony has complicated yet another launch, sadly.

One last thing I just wanted to say is maybe check out some more of Uncharted before you go for it. Honeslty it looks like those action shooters they tried on the PSP that just weren't that good. The problem was never really dual analog sticks. Peace Walker and the SOCOM games played fantastically. The problem was developers trying to pull off amazing graphics on the system, which they can, and subsequently sacrificing performance. Uncharted looks stunning and appears to run good, but some of the videos I looked at, the gameplay is not as smooth as the PS3 versions and that, honestly, is a huge deal breaker for me. I want developers of this Sony handheld to correct the mistakes of the last time around, to take a note from Call of Duty, and realize that you better make damn sure that game runs smooth as anything before you start worrying about having mindblowing graphics on a handheld.

Hollycat
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
How many games could you possibly have? I have a bunch, and I can fit them all on the $30 8 gig

Jessweeee♪
02-20-2012, 09:34 PM
With the PSP I can only really fit one or two games on my 2GB memory stick at a time. I store all of my games on my computer and swap them around when I want to play something different. If I can do that with the Vita, then memory cards won't really be an issue for me. I'll just have to wait and see I guess!

ljkkjlcm9
02-20-2012, 10:42 PM
The Vita to me is exactly like the PSP. It had few must have games for me, but in time I'm sure it will. I only recently got a PSP, but definitely was a good buy, as I'm sure the Vita will be in time for me as well. Unless the rumors of some developers switching to the 3DS are true.

And while I think giving people a 10% discount for buying games digitally is nice, games like Uncharted are about 5 gigs, and I'm sure there will be larger games. If you download that title you better be buying a big memory stick, and would you really end up saving money in the long run? Maybe if you went Jesswee's route and swapped games on and off.

I see it going very similar to the 3DS though, but maybe not as well as the 3DS is now. And yes, the 3DS has actually become the fast selling console in Japan, ever.

THE JACKEL

Loony BoB
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I see it going very similar to the 3DS though, but maybe not as well as the 3DS is now. And yes, the 3DS has actually become the fast selling console in Japan, ever.

THE JACKEL
Wow, that's crazy. I guess if you put out a massive price drop it's bound to do well, though... is that what they did? And I wonder how well the 3DS is selling globally. Japan is becoming more and more niche these days so I imagine that selling so well in Japan is not a guarantee that it'll be considered a success overall.

Bolivar
02-21-2012, 01:36 PM
How many games could you possibly have? I have a bunch, and I can fit them all on the $30 8 gig

I've already had to delete some games on my 16GB PSP Go. Jackel said Uncharted is 5 Gigs. I guess it's just a luxury to have every game you own accessible at all times. Not to mention there's two slots so you can have your internal storage and a game. I think I'm better off waiting, though, as I said I still have a lot of crazy stuff to go through on my PSP and DS.

VeloZer0
02-21-2012, 02:36 PM
I think the closest console to launch I have ever bought is my PS3 10 months after. (Only because my PS2 broke) For me the actually console has exceedingly little to do with whether I buy it, it is all about game library. And I am a really picky bugger.

DMKA
02-21-2012, 02:52 PM
For me the actually console has exceedingly little to do with whether I buy it, it is all about game library.
You mean people buy consoles for reasons other than that?

VeloZer0
02-21-2012, 07:05 PM
Always find it hard to believe, but whenever people talk about handhelds all I hear are comments about the physical system.

Hollycat
02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
I think the main problem handhelds have ow is they are trying too hard to be consoles. Handhelds used to be about gaming on the go, now they are about sitting on your couch and playing the games.

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
I play my PSP on the go just as much as I did my Gameboy Color. That being, not a whole lot outside of my house.

VeloZer0
02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
I see 'gaming on the go' and 'gaming while not being tethered to a physical location' as two entirely different things. 'Gaming on the go' requires support for very short playtimes and a high convenience factor, whereas the longer and latter just requires portability. IMO it is very, very, very difficult for a dedicated game console to compete with the former, but game consoles have a big advantage in the second respect.

Bolivar
02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I've never had a problem with current handheld games being too much like console experiences. I don't think they need to be designed around short play times to be effective portable games. All they need is a feature which both Nintendo and Sony's handhelds have had for a few years now:

Sleep mode.

Also, I agree with VeloZer0 that for a lot of people, it's about the physical system. At least with smart phones/tablets/iPod Touch. I don't think any of those games could ever be compelling enough to be system sellers. Library may have made a difference with the iPhone when Android was starting out, but only in the sense that you have a larger garbage can to pick from. I do believe some are buying the 3DS and Vita because of their novelty as cutting edge hardware. Like I said, I would have been fine buying the Vita for its backwards compatibility and online/social features even if it didn't have the launch lineup it does, the problem is the memory cards for me.

Shlup
02-22-2012, 10:01 AM
I think I would feel like an ass if I bought one even though I already have a PSP. Freaking handhelds always releasing in technological babysteps just to make me feel bad about myself...

Pheesh
02-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Like Del, I'll probably buy one when SE inevitably bring out a new Kingdom Hearts game on it that I have to play in order to understand the story of KH3 which knowing my luck will most likely be on the PS4 now.

Bastards -_-

Bubba
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I have mine in my hands...

It's pretty!

CimminyCricket
02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I'll get it sooner if I can play PSP games on it.

Can I?

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Not UMD, only download.
I've got mine in my hand, boy is it pretty, but I understand why it isn't selling well in Japan, it is huge!

Jessweeee♪
02-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Will I be able to pop the ones I have on my computer on there so long as I have my license files?

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Yes. Unfortunately the buttons are ridiculously small.

DMKA
02-22-2012, 05:46 PM
Not UMD, only download.
I've got mine in my hand, boy is it pretty, but I understand why it isn't selling well in Japan, it is huge!
Original GBA huge, Sega Game Gear huge, or iPad huge?

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
nerf football huge

DMKA
02-22-2012, 06:10 PM
nerf football huge
Awesome. I've always hated tiny handhelds.

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
my roomates iphone barely covers the vitas screen

Bubba
02-22-2012, 06:40 PM
I picked mine up before work. I've had to sit with it in a bag on my desk and not touch it. It's been torture...

20 mins till freedom then I can settle down with Nate and Sully!

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 06:51 PM
I can't figure out how to put ps1 games on it or my minis. the store is missing ps1 and you cant get them from download list

CimminyCricket
02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Is there a way I can turn my hardcopy UMD games into a digital softcopy I can put on the Vita?

VeloZer0
02-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Yes. Unfortunately the buttons are ridiculously small.
So are you saying that the console itself is huge, but it has tiny buttons? That is super lame.

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 07:38 PM
the buttons are fine because they are raised. I have bad news. The VITA can't play PS1 games.

VeloZer0
02-22-2012, 08:31 PM
It isn't the raised part that concerns me, my hands cramp up when I have to deal with small control pads.

I have bad news. The VITA can't play PS1 games.
Well then it looks like it will have to have a very strong library to have me consider making a purchase. Of course by then the VITA 2000 will have come out and it probably will have PS1 compatibility.

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 08:47 PM
I hate you sony, how dare you do this to me. now I have a bunch of games I can't play!

DMKA
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
The official PlayStation website says you can play the PS1 classics from the PSN store on your Vita though, so I can only assume they're going to implement the feature later as Zer0 mentioned.

I guess in cases like Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep we're out of luck though since SE never released it digitally and the Vita has no UMD slot.

Bolivar
02-22-2012, 09:43 PM
Yeah I read it might not be ready at launch, but should be at a later date. In the meantime you might want to check PSP ports of PSOne games, there's a lot available digitally. And you might miss out on Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, but I don't know why you would care when you could get Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy IV Complete, or War of the Lions.

Sephex
02-22-2012, 10:05 PM
These posts are making getting one tempting. Maybe I can pull off getting one for my birthday in a couple of months...

Hollycat
02-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Dynasty warriors next looks as good as DW7, plus it has edit mode.

Skyblade
02-22-2012, 11:06 PM
I won't be getting one until I see a worthwhile game for it. Right now, the best game for the Vita (Persona 4 The Golden) has not been confirmed for a US release, so no real reason for me to pick up the game.

Although, honestly, the more I read on this system, the more I grow to hate it. Mostly because I've heard that you have to use the touch controls. You can't even navigate the menus, open up games, etcetera, without using the touch screen. WHY?! Dangit, the game development community needs to get over touch controls.

Bubba
02-23-2012, 01:07 AM
I hate you sony, how dare you do this to me. now I have a bunch of games I can't play!

I have never been so upset in my life. As much as enjoyed the opening chapters of Encharted. I was looking forward to a FFVII play through starting tonight! Not to be... Fuck you Sony, "soon" isn't good enough

Hollycat
02-23-2012, 02:32 AM
there had better be a firmware update that fixes this, if they put out a vita 2000 and the original doesnt play ps1.
I
kill
them.

On a slightly better note, all the games are $5 cheaper on the online store than they are IRL, and you must get plants vs zombies!

DMKA
02-24-2012, 05:18 AM
I played around with Uncharted on a display model today. I also played WipeOut.

Everything looks awesome and the thing is incredibly powerful but...I really don't know how I feel about all the unnecessary "TOUCH SCREEN TO CONTINUE!" bits that we've been pressing buttons to do all these years. :p

I definitely won't be buying one until the library expands substantially.

Loony BoB
02-24-2012, 01:02 PM
I think I would feel like an ass if I bought one even though I already have a PSP. Freaking handhelds always releasing in technological babysteps just to make me feel bad about myself...
I wouldn't call the PSP going to PS Vita a 'babystep'. The amount of changes they have made is dramatic, on par with PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3, etc.

Hollycat
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM
I messed with my settings so here is my new backgrounds

SuperMillionaire
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm interested in the PlayStation Vita, and I might get it later on this year, along with the Wii U (I currently have the PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo 3DS), but one thing I don't like about the Vita is that the type of touchscreen the Vita uses is capacitive, which is very tricky and inaccurate. In addition, the Vita screen is used for both displaying and touching, unlike the 3DS, which uses two screens for separate functions, and the touchscreen is resistive, which is much more accurate.

Hollycat
03-07-2012, 09:10 PM
The vitas is much harder to scratch

Bubba
03-08-2012, 10:50 AM
Two week Review

Ridiculously impressed by this little machine. There were obvious negative issues pointed out even before the launch but they are far out-weighed by the positives. The screen is just to-die-for. Big, bright and every game looks outstanding (particularly Uncharted and Wipeout). The battery life is an issue for some (mine lasts just over four hours) and the reliance on touch-screen in games can be a little irritating but overall they are just minor drawbacks.

Uncharted
Stunning looking game. The controls are perfect with the dual analogue sticks. While not all of the touch screen aspects of the game are good, things like taking charcoal rubbings are quite satisfying. Great speech as always with top banter between the main characters. I actually really love the use of the camera within the game as the Vita feels perfect for it.

Wipeout
I was never a huge fan of the Wipeout series until now. I didn't used to like the tight tracks and constant bumping off the sides. This game is different. The tracks seem much wider and it concentrates more on the usage of weapons which is definitely for the better. I've got Wipeout Fury on the PS3 but I really can't notice the difference between the two. Awesome game.

Hustle Kings
This was cheap as chips and I'd not had a pool sim for a while. For the price it is excellent. Realistic ball movements and a great career mode with different challenges including head-to-heads, tournaments, trick shots, timed challenged. There's also a great range of poool games from 8 & 9 Ball, 3-Ball, Killer etc. I'm not overly keen on the touch screen cue action but that was the only way they could have done it I suppose.

Fifa Soccer
Being English, I was always going to buy this (though it was expensive!). After buying Fifa 12, it was difficult going back to the Fifa 11-style controls. It still plays fantastically well and I've probably played this the most by beating chumps online! Using the rear touchpad for aiming at goal though is a really crap gimmick in my opinion. You end up shooting from miles out when you touch it by accident. Luckily this can be turned off and it's now on usual Fifa controls. The ultimate game for football fans.

I can't recommend this little machine high enough. Judging by sales it's definitely worth waiting a couple of months if you don't have one. But trust me, this is a worthwhile investment.

black orb
03-27-2012, 12:56 AM
>>> Disgaea 3 with all the DLC content makes me think about getting one.. But hell, I already have a PS3 and the games are pretty much the same. So smurf you Sony im not made of money..:luca:

VeloZer0
03-27-2012, 01:04 AM
I actually tried the Vita the other day when I was in best buy. And by tried I mean I went up put my hands on it and determined the buttons were too small for me to consider buying. (Barring an extremely compelling line up which would probably require years to accrue)

It is funny how hard Sony worked cramming all that technology into such a package, and it took me all of two seconds to determine I don't want one based on the shape of the buttons. :eep: