PDA

View Full Version : Eyes on... your wrist!

Pike
02-21-2012, 05:45 AM
Apparently most people don't wear watches anymore, because they've got their cellphone or whatever. As for me, I've worn one every day of my life since I was about 15, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I feel pretty naked if I'm not wearing one, and I'm in love with watches (and clocks) besides. Mine looks like this:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/P12599466.jpg

It's fully mechanical (i.e.: no batteries) and it's beautiful and I love it :love: :love:

Does anyone else around here still wear a old-fashioned wrist-worn timepiece? :monster:

Shlup
02-21-2012, 05:48 AM
I've tried to wear a watch a few times, but I just can't stand it. I do have a strawberry watch that clips to my belt loop, but I still use my phone a lot of the time.

I do miss my Sailor Moon watch though. I lost it. :(

Hollycat
02-21-2012, 06:08 AM
Not often, but I do enjoy wearing a pocket watch every day.

Freya
02-21-2012, 07:22 AM
I like cats, get over it.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/watch2-1.jpg

I don't wear it often enough, I always forget to. Even with it on I'll still look at my phone for the time.

Sephex
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
I used to be all about wearing a watch, but I fell out of the habit over the years.

edczxcvbnm
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't wear one as I tend to break watches and what not. I fiddle around with things and a watch is very fiddle-matic!

Bubba
02-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I like cats, get over it.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/watch2-1.jpg

I don't wear it often enough, I always forget to. Even with it on I'll still look at my phone for the time.

Freya, that is beautiful. I've recently joined the cat revolution after having a four-year-old female feline given to me by my Auntie. I always thought I was a dog person but she might be changing me opinion.

I've got a weird watch story actually...

When I was a kid I used to wear a watch on my right wrist. Then when I was twelve, I suddenly stopped wearing one and I haven't worn one since. There was no real reason why I stopped either.

Years later when I was in my early twenties, my Dad told me a story about when he was in a really bad car crash as a passenger when he was twelve years old. Apparently he raised his right arm (on watch he also wore his watch) to protect his face. The impact actually shattered the glass on his watch which went into his eyes and caused a bit of damage. He never wore a watch again after that day... pretty much the exact same time as me.

Not sure why I shared that but just thought it was a bit spooky.

blackmage_nuke
02-21-2012, 01:24 PM
I dont wear one because it gives me an excuse to chat up hotties who do wear watches by asking for the time, and while their hands are in clear sight I can check for a wedding ring.

ps: this never works

Pheesh
02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
I was actually just given a watch today for my birthday, it's rather snazzy but I need to take it in and get it resized for my skinny wrist >_<

Jessweeee♪
02-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Watches are really just bracelets to me, what with cell phones and all. I have a slappy one that I like to wear sometimes because slappy bands are fun to play with.

Loony BoB
02-21-2012, 04:33 PM
When I wear a watch, I have a habit of taking it off constantly when I don't need to and inevitably losing it. So I don't wear watches anymore.

escobert
02-21-2012, 04:34 PM
I do some times. But it's not an everyday thing.

Jiro
02-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I keep trying to take a picture of my watch but it's been unsuccessful. Anyway. My watch was given to me for my 18th and even though the battery has died and the watch itself looked like it served in 'Nam, I wear it constantly because otherwise I feel off balanced. I still use Nukie's technique of chatting up hotties for the time and then I even have a talking point about why my watch doesn't work.

Mirage
02-21-2012, 08:05 PM
I would wear mine if it wasn't broken. The glass is broken, and moisture has gotten into it and caused the clockwork inside it to oxidize.

It's a bit of a shame, it looked pretty cool. I'll edit my post with a picture if I can find it.

Parker
02-21-2012, 08:50 PM
i have expensive watch tastes, and dont wear one for that reason (99%)

Agent Proto
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Two years ago, I received a watch for Christmas, but I never got around to wearing it. For me, wearing a watch is uncomfortable on both wrists. Since I had no use for it, I ended up selling it at a pawn shop for a measly $10, only because I really needed to the money. :(

Pike
02-21-2012, 09:21 PM
i have expensive watch tastes, and dont wear one for that reason (99%)

That's exactly how I am with pocketwatches. I'll only wear one if it's vintage; i.e. a Hamilton/Waltham/Elgin/whathaveyou from the 1800s or early 1900s. Which is why I don't wear one.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
The only watch I really used was a nice pocket watch that I'd carry when ever I needed to one of my suits. It gave purpose to that pocket on the vest that comes with suits.

It was polished brass, and maybe nickel or something (it was silver). It's face and it's back opened up to expose all the internal workings of the gears for viewing through glass. The watch face was fairly minimalist, but nice.

Then it broke.

Pike
02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
That sounds lovely :(

theundeadhero
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
I haven't taken it off in years. It's pretty smelly.

Iceglow
02-21-2012, 11:56 PM
Although I only work in retail I would need some Military grade kit to survive at work. Passages, entrances and counters are notoriously narrow in our store so you go to walk past someone and you'll smash in to the wall or bang your watch off a sharp corner. My last 3 watches have all broken cause of this effect. The glass ends up chipped or cracked. It's also a bit annoying when I'm trying to balance big piles of stock on my arm/wrist since dvd/cd cases tend to care that they're not level.

I would have owned if we were not burgled when I was a teenager, 2 rolex watches my dad had in his posession. I couldn't wear either of them however as they were made of gold and I'd come out in a rash if I put them on. He did own a third watch my mom is fairly certain was a Breitling or something similar which was a non gold metal. I'd have worn that for sure. The 2 rolexes I'm not sure what I'd have done with, the sale of them would sure as hell have helped me with a few decisions.

NorthernChaosGod
02-22-2012, 12:37 AM
I used to have a nice watch with a leather strap in high school that I wore all the time, but the strap broke and then I lost the watch. D:

I still have a decent digital watch I wear when lifeguarding though.

leader of mortals
02-22-2012, 02:15 AM
I haven't worn a watch since I dropped my cheap digital watch, which bent a button inward, permanently showing me the date. Now I just use my phone.

fire_of_avalon
02-22-2012, 02:48 AM
I have a really nice one my dad got me for Christmas that I wear once a week or so because I don't wanna hurt it.

Madonna
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
I often will look at an invisible watch on my wrist when I reference time. I have a good sense of time and use the gesture to help remind people time exists, they are wasting it, and I have better places to be. If you see my invisible watch, you know it is you-have-disappointed-me o'clock.

Real wristwatches are unwieldy objects which get in the way of a great many everyday activities, and the pros of hampering oneself with one is not apparent to me.

rubah
02-22-2012, 03:15 AM
I've worn a watch every day since third grade, but I'm not aroused by it or anything

Jiro
02-22-2012, 07:09 AM
I've worn a watch every day since third grade, but I'm not aroused by it or anything

well why not?

CimminyCricket
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
I got this watch as a gift a while back, and I wear it more than I have any other watch for three reasons: 1. I love how it looks 2. The strap is rubber so it doesn't pull my hair like a metal one, it doesn't itch like an itchy velcro strap and I'm not allergic to it like the fake leather band 3. it's not uncomfortable like most watches I've worn, I don't feel like I'm trapped when I'm wearing it. Usually I'll wear a watch and it won't sit comfortably on my wrist and I'll feel claustrophobic because it'll sit so tight on my wrist. This watch does not do that.

A funny story about wearing it and forgetting I can use it to tell time:

Yesterday I was hanging out at a gas station/eatery across the street from where my GF works while I was waiting for her to get off work when my phone died. I thought tit, now what am I going to do and I looked around to try and find a clock so I could see what time it was. It wasn't until I scratched an itch on my wrist did I remember I was wearing a watch that could tell me the time.

Yeargdribble
02-22-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm so done with watches and have been for a while. I actually had this conversation with a friend recently. His defense of the watch was how much faster it was for him to glance at his watch versus fishing his phone out of his pocket. A few mere seconds doesn't make for a very strong argument in my opinion. A better argument would be for the aesthetics.

In the end, a watch is a single purpose device. I have no room in my life for such a single purpose device. I care enough gadgets with me at all times, I don't need a watch that I have to take on and off for showers and be wary of snagging on things all the time. I'll gladly pull my phone out of my pocket if I need to see what time it is, and in a few extra seconds I can check the weather, my e-mail, FB, and a dozen other things

Peegee
02-22-2012, 10:04 PM
my mom is fond of buying me this bracelet that's made from amber (that's sap)

I lost the first one bc i left it on the counter when I washed my hands. Yay.

(the bracelet is expensive)

This is why I don't wear a watch.

Pike
02-22-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm so done with watches and have been for a while. I actually had this conversation with a friend recently. His defense of the watch was how much faster it was for him to glance at his watch versus fishing his phone out of his pocket. A few mere seconds doesn't make for a very strong argument in my opinion. A better argument would be for the aesthetics.

In the end, a watch is a single purpose device. I have no room in my life for such a single purpose device. I care enough gadgets with me at all times, I don't need a watch that I have to take on and off for showers and be wary of snagging on things all the time. I'll gladly pull my phone out of my pocket if I need to see what time it is, and in a few extra seconds I can check the weather, my e-mail, FB, and a dozen other things

I wear a watch because I like having a delicate and brilliant piece of mechanical engineering on my wrist (or electrical engineering if I'm wearing a quartz watch-- I wear mechanical, though). It reminds me how ingenious humanity is.

Parker
02-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Despite my love for watches I pretty much agree with yeargdribble.

My only defense for wearing one is that it looks good and carries with it a certain amount of class

I'm aware of how shallow and pointless this sounds

Shiny
02-22-2012, 11:14 PM

well why not?

Oh you. xD

I usually keep my phone in my bag now, so it's easier to access a watch for checking time than it is my cellphone or laptop. However, I usually forget to put it on before leaving the house.

When speaking to my friend with a very nice gold rolex watch, he was telling me the watch made people interviewing him for jobs think he was more applicable. When I asked him how he said, he'd often meet people for job interviews during lunch hours at cafes and such. He'd order coffee and then pick up the cup, which in turn drew more attention to his wrist. The employers would peep his watch and were like, "Wow you have impressive taste" or "That's a cool watch" and it would direct the conversation about the watch instead of asking him questions about whether he was actually qualified for the job. When they eventually did get around to asking him, they were so dumbfounded by a friggin' watch and the air of sophistication it apparently gave off that they were already sold. My point is, if you're going to wear a watch swag it out in an interview. Get money.

Kossage
02-22-2012, 11:54 PM
People don't wear watches? That's almost as unfortunate as people who don't know about floppy disks or cassette tapes having even existed (or then I'm just getting old :( ). But yep, definitely wearing a watch. The nice thing is that even when cell phones freeze in the cold over here, wrist watches still work just fine, so at the very least in winter it's kind of a necessity to have a watch if you spend more than 10 minutes outside. :p

Bubba
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Jesus Christ we can all waffle about watches.

The fact that this thread is on page three makes me love this forum even more.

Jiro
02-23-2012, 05:36 PM
The fact that you aren't using 50ppp is disgraceful :colbert:

Aydin
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I don't like wearing watches. Like OP said, cell phones are out and honestly, I like those better. :/

But I am wearing this! It's not a watch but it's awesome! >:3

Yeargdribble
02-23-2012, 07:33 PM
I wear a watch because I like having a delicate and brilliant piece of mechanical engineering on my wrist (or electrical engineering if I'm wearing a quartz watch-- I wear mechanical, though). It reminds me how ingenious humanity is.

I think I can achieve the same effect to a greater degree by having a computer in my pocket that weighs virtually nothing, can do things that super computers of 20 years ago couldn't, can play games, keep my schedule, let me contact people and has me constantly connected to this amazing human invention... the internet. All with no wires. I'm tethered to nothing. It's a piece of friggin' magic. I can appreciate a watch for what it is, but when it comes to a reminder of the amazing ingenuity of the human race, most of today's phones have them beat hands down.

@Shiny
I'm glad I don't work in an industry where my wasteful spending of potentially $1000s of dollars on a silly watch with a big name is going to make a huge difference in my life. It disgusts me that there are people out there who can afford to buy 5, 10, 30, 50 thousand dollar watches just to make an impression and make themselves even more stinking rich. It disgusts me more that there are people impressed by these pretentious displays of overspending on something absolutely silly. Buying a multi-thousand dollar Rolex watch is no different than spending thousands of dollars on rims for your stupid car. The only difference is in who finds it impressive.

I'm glad I'm doing work where my skills matter more than how blinged out I am.

Pike
02-24-2012, 02:18 AM

I think I can achieve the same effect to a greater degree by having a computer in my pocket that weighs virtually nothing, can do things that super computers of 20 years ago couldn't, can play games, keep my schedule, let me contact people and has me constantly connected to this amazing human invention... the internet. All with no wires. I'm tethered to nothing. It's a piece of friggin' magic. I can appreciate a watch for what it is, but when it comes to a reminder of the amazing ingenuity of the human race, most of today's phones have them beat hands down.

I don't find the inside of a phone to be as beautiful as the inside of a mechanical watch.

This is the most beautiful, divine piece of art I have ever seen in my life. (Scroll down.) (http://www.ninanet.net/watches/others08/Mediums/mdufour.html)

I also like how imperfect a watch is, how it's powered by my own movement and lives on my wrist as a sort of living creature, and how it can still be made entirely by (very, very skilled) hands and not by machines.

I like the simplicity of the physics and the balance wheel and how it works.

I like how you can watch the whole thing run. I like how I can sit and watch the balance wheel spin and the hairsping pulse like a living heart as it ticks away the seconds, six ticks per second. I like that I can rest my head on it or hold it up to my ear and hear that heartbeat.

It's not just about engineering and cleverness. It's about sculpture. It's about centuries of tradition and innovation and art. That's what I see in a watch.

And yes, I'm weird.

NorthernChaosGod
02-24-2012, 02:56 AM
Pike, I'm definitely coming to you if I ever decide to get myself a nice watch.

Pike
02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
:jess:

Jiro
02-24-2012, 04:00 AM
There is something about the innards of that watch that just mesmerises me.

Hollycat
02-24-2012, 04:19 AM
girls shouldn't wear pocket watches

blackmage_nuke
02-24-2012, 04:44 AM
stuff

Phones do that, just with invisible electrons. If you had a voltmeter to the chips of a phone you would see a dance more delicate and complex than any watch. If a watch is like a heart, the phone is like a brain performing a hundred things a second without even moving without you even being aware of it's presence

Fuzakeru
02-24-2012, 04:45 AM
When I was younger I wore one but I couldn't stand to wear one now. I wear three thin plastic-y type wrist band things though. I take them off to shower but I've worn them for about a year straight. Dunno why though.

Pike
02-24-2012, 04:51 AM
stuff

Phones do that, just with invisible electrons. If you had a voltmeter to the chips of a phone you would see a dance more delicate and complex than any watch. If a watch is like a heart, the phone is like a brain performing a hundred things a second without even moving without you even being aware of it's presence

I'm aware of that and wasn't saying newer technology isn't amazing. I want to be a robot and/or live in the internet, after all. Sometimes I want aesthetics and simplicity and mechanics that I can look at without extra help, is all.

Jiro
02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't carry around phone xray machine thingos so looking inside a watch is damn awesome.

NorthernChaosGod
02-25-2012, 12:25 AM
girls shouldn't wear pocket watches
Shut up.

Værn
02-26-2012, 10:34 AM
I'd wear my watch, but the wristband is broken. It also shows the date and day of the week, which is awesome because I have absolutely no sense of time beyond what month and year it is.

Pike
02-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I miss having a watch that displayed the date. My current one doesn't and it's the only thing I dislike about it.

ReloadPsi
02-26-2012, 04:55 PM
I actually feel naked if I don't wear a watch or a sweatband of some kind. If I leave the house and realise I haven't put on my watch I will actually go back for it. Digging into my pocket for my phone all the time is a pain in the ass; looking at a watch is a hell of a lot quicker.

Wearing a watch also makes me less violent towards other people as I fear breaking it if I get into a fight.

One of the above statements is just a joke.

Jiro
02-26-2012, 09:59 PM
The first one is false. I know it.

Tigmafuzz
02-26-2012, 11:31 PM
Wearing a watch also makes me less violent towards other people as I fear breaking it if I get into a fight.

The reason I don't wear a watch is because it's uncomfortable and makes me want to punch people.

Jiro
02-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Buying this watch btw. Thanks Pike, I was trying to save money.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2516146/watch.jpg

Pike
02-27-2012, 05:26 AM
:cool: