PDA

View Full Version : "The Ten Coolest Moments in Final Fantasy"

Pike
02-22-2012, 09:59 PM
As presented by an article I found while hanging around on the EoFF Twitter:

The 10 Coolest Moments in "Final Fantasy" History | Complex (http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/02/the-coolest-moments-in-final-fantasy-history/)

WARNING: SPOILERS. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE.

...so, what do you all think? I, for one, am disappointed in the lack of FF6's opera scene

Crop
02-23-2012, 01:37 AM
I personally would have thrown in a couple of different ones, but I certainly agree with #1. That was one of my favourite moments of any Final Fantasy game, and when I think back on it I'm saddened that I'll probably never have that same feeling about a game again.

Forsaken Lover
02-23-2012, 02:47 AM
An odd choice for FFIX's representative on the list. There are a ton of awesome moments in the game such as Odin nuking Cleyra, Kuja vs. Bahamut, Alexander vs. Bahamut and much, much more.
And he chose that?

Also FFXII needs to be on there somewhere. Everything at the top of the Pharos.

Del Murder
02-23-2012, 04:13 AM
Opera scene should have made the list. That would be my number 1! It's iconic of the entire series.

Gamblet
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Opera scene should have made the list. That would be my number 1! It's iconic of the entire series.

Well, the Opera scene is not "cool", it is more like emotional.

Del Murder
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
True enough. I Want to Be Your Canary isn't cool either, though.

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
Garden fight was pretty cool, but the first scene where Balamb Garden takes off is even better. I mean that was really wtf. "wtf. my school. is flying. wut."

Forsaken Lover
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Well, the Opera scene is not "cool", it is more like emotional.

True enough. I Want to Be Your Canary isn't cool either, though.

Come to think of it the same holds true for the whole "Sin is Jecht" thing.

If I had to pick a "cool" moment from FFX it be something like the whole attack on Bevelle.

Del Murder
02-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Garden fight was pretty cool, but the first scene where Balamb Garden takes off is even better. I mean that was really wtf. "wtf. my school. is flying. wut."
I agree. Let's make our own list.

FFI - Class change. I agree that's pretty cool.

FFII - Your childhood friend turns out to be the Dark Knight.

FFIII - I'll give them the job system here, because that was awesome and it set the tone for the series.

FFIV - Agree with all the character deaths as cool, Tellah's especially.

FFV - Again, Galuf's story is a fine choice. Faris's being a chick is also an option.

FFVI - Kefka destroying the world, no question.

FFVII - A good choice of when the world opens up, though I like the opening scene better. Best opening in any video game ever imo.

FFVIII - Balamb takes off. Total wtf moment.

FFIX - Lots of great choices. Nuking of Cleyra, Bahamut vs. Alexander, Black Waltz 3 attacks the party.

FFX - My favorite is probably the opening when Auron saves Tidus's worthless hide.

FFXI - This game is massive so there's a lot of moments, but for me the best was during the Wings of the Goddess storyline (which involved alternate realities) when the evil chick from the other reality summoned her minions, including the version of YOUR CHARACTER from that reality, who you had to then fight and kill. Great stuff.

FFXII - Any time Balthier speaks.

FFXIII - idk, FFXIII tried too hard to be cool so it's hard to pick a moment.

VeloZer0
02-23-2012, 06:35 PM
That is a good list.

My additions.

FF4 - Going to the moon.
FF5 - When the two worlds become one and you see how all the geography fits together so well.
FF7 - The moment the ShinRa soldier in Cloud's dream takes off his helmet and it's the real Cloud.

FFX - My favorite is probably the opening when Auron saves Tidus's worthless hide.
You too eh? Actually the opening is also my favorite part of FF13.

Del Murder
02-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Figaro Castle going underground is also one of the coolest moments in the series.

Quindiana Jones
02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Zidane going back for Kuja was pretty awesome, though I wish they had CGI'd the whole lot as he kind of stands out xD.

Sephex
02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
I liked most of the list. I tried to get a similar list published on GameFAQs a few years ago, but it didn't make it.

Pike
02-24-2012, 02:23 AM
FFVII - A good choice of when the world opens up, though I like the opening scene better. Best opening in any video game ever imo.

Agreed. That opening gives me chills every time.

Gamblet
02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
FF VIII- Where Squall has to save people in the garden or in the prison.

SwordFox
02-24-2012, 01:51 PM
There are so many simply epic moments in Final Fantasy it must be hard to compile a top ten list. I do agree with some of them as they brought back some fond memories, though I actually haven't played through some of the earlier FF games yet so I'm not sure of the references. A little title known as Final Fantasy VI is supposed to be amazing, but I've only just been able to get it on PSN recently, so I'm looking forward to playing that one next. :p

Does anybody else wish they used a better choice of videos, though? FF7 videos with poor frame rates, silly vocalisations of text, the wrong music used for FMVs, using videos that are taken from guides, etc.?

It really seems to ruin the mood and the point of making an article about the coolest Final Fantasy moments, in my opinion. :/

Tigmafuzz
02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
FFXII - Any time Balthier speaks.
Well... yeah.

Wolf Kanno
02-24-2012, 05:55 PM
That was a terrible list... Seriously, Jecht turning out to be Sin is a "cool moment" and not just Square pulling out one of the oldest story cliches in modern writing? Fuck you.

Here's my list:

FFII - Emperor Mateus comes back from Hell as it's new Demon King: Seriously, while the fake out death of a villain is pretty normal in games, it's not very often you actually kill the main villain only for him to come back to life and now as a freaking eldritch king. I don't think any other villain in the series gave you as much of a "I'm fucked" sensation than that moment.

FFIII - The Dark Warriors sacrifice their lives to help the Light Warriors defeat Cloud of Darkness: It comes out of nowhere that the former heroes of the world would come to the rescue and help weaken her enough for your party to actually mount a real comeback against her.

FFIV - Cecil undertakes the trial and becomes a Paladin: Dear god, it's like one of the most iconic scenes not just in FFIV but in the FF history itself. It's an emotional scene that finally allows Cecil to realize that whining around about his past mistakes will not give him closure but rather he needs to redeem himself through action. The fight itself was really clever as well since it seems counter-intuitive to not attack his dark self.

FFV - Galuf's heroic sacrifice: PURE AWESOME ADRENALINE...

FFVI - The Opera Scene: Not only did an opera house feel completely foriegn to be in an RPG but to turn around and actually build a mini-game into it by expecting the player to perform in it? Unheard of and it's probably one of the many reasons this scene is so famous in the franchise. It also allowed us to see both a softer and more human side to Celes who up until now was just the Ex-General turned good guy and it would be this moment that makes the whol love story sub-plot more apparent to the player but also lead to several of Celes' most defining story moments in the game.

FFVII - The Opening: Aerith's death is overrated and god knows I didn't cry. Instead I feel the opening is the best choice cause it really is the best opening in terms of showing off a technical know how of the hardware but it also explains absolutely nothing to the player so creates a sense of intrigue that makes the action packed first dungeon a real roller coaster ride for the player. If only the rest of the game was as well thought out...

FFVIII - Assassinate Edea: Granted a lot of the excitiment is due to some poor usage of the Idiot Ball being passed around to the cast like a case of herpies but it does include into a nice mix of viusal feast, and watching Squall be a badass and steal a car, single handidly storm Edea's float, bitch slap Seifer, and then battle the Sorceress leading to her impaling Squall and thinking he might actually be dead, and then the game asks you to switch discs. Seriously, I don't think any of the PSX FFs had the player scrambling to change discs so they can find out what happened as badly as this scene did.

FFIX - Battle Against Black Waltz #3: It's a cool action packed scene filled with heartbreak and awesomness, Vivi pretty much solidifies his immortality within the fanbase for this awesome sequence of events.

FFIX - Bahamut vs. Alexander: This scene is pure fan service but also I just find it nice to witness a CGI cutscene of awesomness dealing with two of the most iconic summons in the series actually duking it out in full glory. It's a great tribute, not just to the series, but to the fans themselves who would appreciate this scene for more than just it's story context.

FFXII - The Sun-Cryst at Pharos: Dear god, this scene is really the ultimate fulfillment of the emotional story of the games three best characters. Ashe finally reaches the end of her journey and makes her choice that has been the heart of the games story, Balthier finally confronts his dad and gets the closest thing to closure we'll ever see, and Basch gets to verbally bitch slap Gabranth by showing that he's better than him by taking the high road and staying faithful to his ideals. Not to mention we get a heroic sacrifice and some awesome boss battles, it's really no wonder most fns can't help but question why this wasn't the end of the game.

Sephex
02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
I take issue with the Assassinate Edea one. There is a glaring continuity error with that scene. When they trap the float car in the archway cage, the float is facing the wrong way for Irvine to take the shot.

This is especially evident because when Squall drives up to the cage, the back of the float car is facing him. He has to walk around it to get to the platform where Seifer and Edea awaits him.

charliepanayi
02-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Who cares if Jecht being Sin is an old cliche, it's still a great moment. Not sure it counts as 'cool' though, as mentioned the assault on Bevelle would be my choice from FFX.

Wolf Kanno
02-24-2012, 11:27 PM
I take issue with the Assassinate Edea one. There is a glaring continuity error with that scene. When they trap the float car in the archway cage, the float is facing the wrong way for Irvine to take the shot.

This is especially evident because when Squall drives up to the cage, the back of the float car is facing him. He has to walk around it to get to the platform where Seifer and Edea awaits him.

Like most things involving FFVIII's plot, it's best to approach the scene with your brain shut off.

Who cares if Jecht being Sin is an old cliche, it's still a great moment. Not sure it counts as 'cool' though, as mentioned the assault on Bevelle would be my choice from FFX.

Dude, it wasn't even that interesting, I mean you run into Auron in Luca and he casually mentions that Jecht is Sin, it doesn't even get the benfit of having the cheesy "Luke I am your father" spiel. Talk about a lackluster plot revelation.

charliepanayi
02-24-2012, 11:58 PM
I thought it was a very surprising moment when Auron says about Jecht, not lacklustre at all. And FFVIII's plot (which I love) is no dumber than most FF games.

VeloZer0
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Dude, it wasn't even that interesting,
I agree. I when Auron said that it was almost like the game didn't even care enough to make me think it was important.

Sephex
02-25-2012, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=Sephex;3063654]

Like most things involving FFVIII's plot, it's best to approach the scene with your brain shut off.

Well then! Carry on good sir!

Seriously though, you'd be surprised how many people don't notice that. I'm surprised Square didn't catch it either.

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2012, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I had a friend point it out awhile back so I probably wouldn't have noticed myself if left to my own devices. :sweatdrop

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I also prefer storming Bevelle or confronting Yunalesca for FFX's coolest moment. I thought Jecht being Sin was a nice twist, but being something you learn at the beginning of the game, I'm more inclined to vote that moment when you find out why he's Sin, and everyone deciding that's not how it's going to be done, and it will never again be done that way even if it means they're eliminating their only option to defeat Sin.

Jiro
02-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Sliding into Bevelle on giant chains and then kicking ass and then Yuna jumping off the tower has to be one of the coolest sequences of events in that game not accompanied by the Otherworld theme.

Jessweeee♪
02-28-2012, 05:58 PM
The music that plays during that sequence is one of my favorites in the series!

VeloZer0
02-28-2012, 07:56 PM
one of the coolest sequences of events in that game not accompanied by the Otherworld theme.
Good description.

Jinx
03-06-2012, 05:44 AM
FFVII - The Opening: Aerith's death is overrated and god knows I didn't cry. Instead I feel the opening is the best choice cause it really is the best opening in terms of showing off a technical know how of the hardware but it also explains absolutely nothing to the player so creates a sense of intrigue that makes the action packed first dungeon a real roller coaster ride for the player. If only the rest of the game was as well thought out...

It's interesting you explained this, as I was honestly about to ask everyone why they all thought the opening to FFVII was so epic or "the greatest." I'm still having a bit of trouble, though...

To me it always seemed really quiet and boring, and I couldn't wait for the game to hurry up and get to the part where you jump off the train.

For me, in FFVII the scene where President Shinra is watching Sector 7 blow up from Shinra HQ while listening to classic music is a much more poignant and disturbing scene. As iff you didn't already hate Shinra for what they're doing, you really hate him for his cold disconnection.

FFIX has to be the summoning of Alexander, hands down. BEAUTIFUL scene.

FFIX for me is that epic moment when Yuna escapes from her marriage to Seymour while free fallin' it Tom Petty style on the chest of Valefor. SHE JUMPS OFF THE BUILDING AND PLUMMETS TOWARDS BEVELLE. It's pretty epic.

Loony BoB
03-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I didn't really find anything amazing out of FFVI's opera scene, personally. *gets murdered by everyone*

Coolest moment? Hmm. Going by the word 'coolest' rather than 'best', I'd say that there are a few things you could go with that aren't major moments but were just cool. Riding your first chocobo, getting the Highwind, getting the Ragnarok (after using the garden for so long, the Ragnarok is amazing), and of course the introduction of the character that is Cid Highwind.

And while it was all virtual reality or whatever, I have to say that Crisis Core's scene with Sephiroth fighting that annoying poet guy was pretty cool. What else? Sephiroth disappearing into the flames. Rude being Rude. Balthier being Balthier. Shadow being Shadow. Discovering the backstory of Galuf is pretty awesome, too. President Shinra's supposed death in FFVII.

Pike
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I didn't really find anything amazing out of FFVI's opera scene, personally.

:stare:

Loony BoB
03-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Well, I was never a big fan of the opera. It doesn't help that for some weird reason I always feel sleepy when playing FFVI, even when I'm enjoying it. I think it might be the music.

VeloZer0
03-06-2012, 03:22 PM
I would personally go with interesting over cool.

Loony BoB
03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Most interesting moment for me would probably be discovering the backstory of the characters which have hidden or forgotten their past, such as Cloud or Galuf.

Jessweeee♪
03-06-2012, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, Galuf vs. Exdeath was pretty badass. And I'm with BoB on the opera scene. I mean, it was very cute, but I don't think it goes up there with all of these other cool scenes.

Loony BoB
03-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Just remembered the ending of Crisis Core. Definitely worth at least a solitary mention in this thread, even if it's part of a spinoff game. That was one hell of an ending.

Jessweeee♪
03-06-2012, 04:45 PM
That ending made up for Genesis existing.

Gamblet
03-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Just remembered the ending of Crisis Core. Definitely worth at least a solitary mention in this thread, even if it's part of a spinoff game. That was one hell of an ending.

Totally agree with you on this one. Zack basically fought against an army by himself. That's badass.

Del Murder
03-07-2012, 01:06 AM
The ending of Crisis Core is one of my favorite endings in any video game.

Scotty_ffgamer
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
I don't know about the coolest, but one of the coolest moments in all of Final Fantasy for me was simply the opening to Final Fantasy VIII. That is a scene I watch quite often.

Jinx
03-08-2012, 12:34 AM
^Haha, I love how Spoony talks about how EPIC it seems with the intense music and "end-o-the-world" battle going on...

...and they're just training.

Loony BoB
03-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Not just training. Epic training. I agree that it was a very cool opening scene.

charliepanayi
03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
Epic training plus epic montage plus epic music.