PDA

View Full Version : The Last Story Discussion Thread

SwordFox
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I got my copy of The Last Story a day before release due to online pre-ordering. Hells to the yeah. xD

I have to say, I'm quite impressed so far. I haven't played much, but it's a great game. The story seems to take a little bit of shape early on, getting to know a bit of back-story of the characters in flashbacks and the like and you really feel a part of the game.

The battle system works surprisingly well for something that seems so simple. By default it's set to an automatic battle system, where you run up to the enemy and you attack automatically. It sounds a bit generic and boring, but it works surprisingly well and is actually quite good. I haven't tried it in manual mode yet, I'll have to give it a go at some point.

My only complaint at the moment is that I can't really judge the graphics. The game only runs in 60 Hz (480i) mode and EDTV/HDTV (480p) mode. I don't have a component cable at the moment, (though I have been looking for one), so I can't get a decent picture using the EDTV/HDTV option and my TV makes the 480i mode look really fuzzy and horrible.

The music in the game is, as is to be expected, awesome. Unfortunately a lot of the voice acting is bloody terrible. Most of the characters seem to be British, which means that the voice acting is probably done by people who aren't British trying to do a stereotypical British accent and therefore sound awful.

I also encountered a glitch early on in the game where I fell behind the other party members and they waited in a corridor for me to catch up, but they were standing in such a way that they blocked the path and I had to reset the game. I hope this isn't a common issue. :/

But yeah, those few little niggles aside, the game so far is great. Looking forward to playing it some more, preferably with a component cable to get a better picture. xD

Anybody else playing it yet or picking the game up?

Discuss and all that. :D

Jessweeee♪
02-23-2012, 09:28 PM
It looks interesting!

Sephex
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Been thinking of getting this one. Probably when it is on sale, though. Thanks for the info, SwordFox!

Shlup
02-24-2012, 01:17 AM
I love it when a game comes early because of an online preorder. Happens when I preorder through Amazon sometimes.

I won't be able to get the game until it hits the US this summer, but I'm looking forward to it. Your first impressions have gotten me even more excited for it!

Del Murder
02-24-2012, 02:09 AM
It is a foregone conclusion that I will bet getting this game. With this, Skyward Sword, and Xenoblade my Wii is revived!

Roogle
02-24-2012, 02:21 AM
If the game was localized and released in European territories first, then the voice acting was likely done in Europe. That means that those are supposed to be legitimate British people with legitimate accents!

Rostum
02-24-2012, 03:51 AM
I preordered from the UK too, so I hope it gets here by Monday. :) However, I don't know how much I can play it right now since there's so many games I'm trying to catch up on. I also still need to get Xenoblade Chronicles because it looks absolutely amazing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUNNyNK-4w).

Vyk
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
So glad this and Xenoblade are finally coming to America. Not particularly keen on the wait though. Don't know why they can't just format it to NTSC for American televisions and be done with it. The waiting periods leads me to believe they're re-recording the dialog. And I don't know about this game, but I've actually heard lots of good things about Xenoblade's English dialog. Voice acting in video games has gotten better over the years. But I'm still not sure I completely trust them to "fix" something which really isn't even "broken". Seems like a waste of time. But we'll see I guess. Had this not happened though, I was completely willing to torrent the foreign versions and just play them through a loader on my soft-modded Wii >.>

Wolf Kanno
02-25-2012, 08:30 PM
The American trailer for Xenoblade Chronicles has revealed that they are actually keeping the original British localization for the game, I don't really see why XSEED would not do it for The Last Story as well, especially since I've heard the British dialect actually works well with TLS world. Though I have heard that the VA for the main character is a bit flat in his portrayal of the character.

Vyk
02-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Lack of legitimate internet keeps me from enjoying trailers and such :( Thanks for the update though. That makes me feel better~

The Captain
02-25-2012, 11:29 PM
I frankly FORGOT that I own a Wii, it's been so long since I actually sat and used it. The crop of new games coming look very tasty indeed. I may have to dust it off.

Take care all.