PDA

View Full Version : It's a bird! It's a plane. NO it's....

Freya
02-27-2012, 12:49 AM
How do you like to travel? My mother and I drove to Wyoming to visit family. We drove. From Oklahoma. It was about 17 hrs o.o

What is your preferred mode of transportation. Be it to work, school, or vacations!

Jiro
02-27-2012, 12:57 AM
Nothing beats a damn good road trip. Music blastin', good company and good times aw yeah.

Flying is alright if you get sat next to a cute girl :jess:

I like taking trains as well, but I usually have way too much shit with me so changing trains or catching connecting buses sucks :(

Bunny
02-27-2012, 01:01 AM
Trains are the absolute best way to travel.

Planes and cars get too cramped after awhile but trains are just so calm.

Sephex
02-27-2012, 01:04 AM
I prefer driving if I am in a reliable car. Otherwise, I don't mind flying. However, I haven't flown since way before all the newer regulations made after 9/11.

My family has driven me all over the USA, but the longest trip I have made from me personally being behind the wheel is from the Chicago suburbs to St. Louis, which isn't much of a drive at all. Had a fun time (both times) regardless!

EDIT: Ah, trains. Forgot about them. Chicago is all about trains, and getting on a good Amtrak line is an excellent way to travel around the state very quickly. We are finally getting bullet trains on top of that.

fire_of_avalon
02-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Even for long trips a car is my preferred method of travel.

Tigmafuzz
02-27-2012, 01:47 AM
Nothing beats a damn good road trip.

Freya
02-27-2012, 01:53 AM
I love trains! Only one I have been on was from Switzerland to Paris, but it was super cool. I wish there were more passenger trains in the US.

NorthernChaosGod
02-27-2012, 02:27 AM
I prefer my car; it's roomy, I'm in control, and I have a bitchin' system. Trains come in second because I don't have to do shit, it's roomy as fuck, and I can nap.

Peegee
02-27-2012, 04:59 AM

why am i the only person in this thread who is going to say 'airplane' ?

even with the new TSA bs (like i give a damn), it's fast and efficient. trains take forever and i lose my brain after about 5 hours of driving.

(i've driven 14 and 16 hours to chicago and new york city; never again)

Yar
02-27-2012, 05:21 AM
I love road trips if they're with friends not family. Sarah and my trip through the desert was pretty sweet.

I love taking planes though. I love flying :D

Pike
02-27-2012, 05:28 AM
Flying is amazing. I never get tired of staring out the window and just being amazed at it all.

I love driving, too. A few months back I drove for... must've been 14-15 hours straight from teeny-tiny-Island-town Washington to Bozeman, MT when I moved back. I wasn't bored for a single minute. I had my music and some great scenery and it was just lovely.

Bubba
02-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Train is the only way to travel. Smooth, comfortable and relaxing...

Lets review the alternatives...

Bus - Very high probability of sitting next to someone who is clinically insane. Someone who can happily sit there and talk to you non-stop about toasters and heroin... with equal enthusiasm. The bus also gives you the option of sitting in a seat soaked in urine/vomit/curry/excrement. - The worst option by far

Plane - Cramped and uncomfortable with a danger of deep vein thrombosis. I would mark the flight attendants as a positive as they are generally pleasing to the eye. However, you then realise that you've been bent over and shafted as you are charged £7 for a mouthful of Gin and Tonic - Not as bad as the bus

Car - Definitely the second best option after the train. As long as your car is in good condition, that is. At best, you have good air con, tunes blasting from your speakers and hopefully some good company. At worst, you're giving your gran a lift to down to London in her clapped out old Ford Capri. You have no air con, no radio and you have to listen to your gran discuss her bowel movements in great detail.

In summary, the train wins hands down.

Miriel
02-27-2012, 12:53 PM
I hate flying. I used to be completely fine with it, even enjoyed it. But then at some points few years ago it just started to freak me out. Which is awful because I love traveling. It's the small planes that are the worst. And I hate the whole buildup to flying. Having to get to the airport, go through security. Having to sit and wait and wait and wait to get off the damn plane once you land. Also arm rest hogs and catching illnesses. Blegh.

Maybe if I can one day work my way up past coach seating I might not mind it as much. First class flying is on my bucket list.

I drive a lot. Enough to have racked up enough miles to go around the circumference of the earth several times over. I like being able to determine my own schedule when driving (ie choose my own departure time), stop if I want to grab some food or just admire a view. And I love blasting music, especially if the roads are clear and nits a beautiful day.

Quindiana Jones
02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Cycling. When cycling isn't sufficient, train(ing?). And boats. I long for Waterworld to become reality. Boats everywhere, man.

Psychotic
02-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Trains aren't bad, but it depends how busy they are. If it's rush hour or whatever then fuck that noise. But if everyone gets a seat then yeah they're pretty enjoyable.

ReloadPsi
02-27-2012, 06:29 PM
I can't stand not being able to get to work on foot or on a bus journey no more than half an hour.

Pike
02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
I've never been on a train. On a scale of 1 - 10, how much am I missing out on?

Peegee
02-27-2012, 06:45 PM
something like 7-8 depending on where you sit.

When I was in China instead of driving to a hotel and wasting a night sleeping, we took a train that went overnight. It was one of those big trains you see in harry potter but only had one side (the ones in HP are probably ginormous - it has a cabin on both sides of the path..wtf)

It's pretty awesome. I got to hoist heavy luggage up 8 feet in the air and all the women were like swoon.

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Amtrak is pretty great.

Carl the Llama
02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Cycling. When cycling isn't sufficient, train(ing?). And boats. I long for Waterworld to become reality. Boats everywhere, man.

Couldn't believe you were the only one who mentioned Boats, open air, the gorgeous ocean... nothing compares to seeing the sunset on the deep blue... shame I can't ride a boat to work.

Jiro
02-27-2012, 07:25 PM

You're missing out. A lot. Trains are amazing.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w253/Thayus/briefing_9.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2012, 01:03 AM
I don't want to answer with a number, but I'll answer with this: alcohol.

Last time I rode a train I had a few beers and this lady in the booth behind me had like 4 vodkas and Red Bull. It's cool.

Bubba
02-28-2012, 06:56 AM
I don't want to answer with a number, but I'll answer with this: alcohol.

Last time I rode a train I had a few beers and this lady in the booth behind me had like 4 vodkas and Red Bull. It's cool.

... and NCG hits the nail on the head. Alcohol makes every journey (apart from the driver's) better.

I've got a three-and-a-half hour train ride to Glasgow this Friday to see some friends. I'll be accompanied by my PS Vita and a pack of four brewskis...

sharkythesharkdogg
02-29-2012, 04:43 PM
I agree that other than a boat, the train offers the most room. It also offers unique things like the dining car instead of packs of peanuts.

Hollycat
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
My preferred methods of travel are as following:

5. Train, the gentle swaying of the carriage is like being on the sea

4. Airplane, for what can be more exhilarating than flying through the air unless it's

3. Luxury Liner, There isn't anything that quite compares to this is there? unless it is

2. Teleportation, Having all your atoms ripped apart and shipped off at the speed of light only to be reassembled, Could there be anything better?

1. Yes, it is called riding a frickin pegasus with frickin lasers attatched to their frickin heads.

Tigmafuzz
02-29-2012, 07:00 PM
My preferred methods of travel are as following:

5. Train, the gentle swaying of the carriage is like being on the sea

4. Airplane, for what can be more exhilarating than flying through the air unless it's

3. Luxury Liner, There isn't anything that quite compares to this is there? unless it is

2. Teleportation, Having all your atoms ripped apart and shipped off at the speed of light only to be reassembled, Could there be anything better?

1. Yes, it is called riding a frickin pegasus with frickin lasers attatched to their frickin heads.
Like you've ever been on a luxury liner.

Hollycat
02-29-2012, 07:03 PM
Thrice

Luxury Liner is another word for millenium falcon right?

Jessweeee♪
02-29-2012, 08:15 PM
Dallas, an eight hour drive away, is absolutely the furthest I will go driving. Any further and someone else is driving me, I'm spending the night on a train, or a quick plain ride.

Yar
03-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Speaking of trains, I'm pretty excited about going to Japan because in the prefecture I'm going to, they have a Halloween Party on a train that goes from one end of the prefecture to the other and back. Party on a train I am STOKED!

Iceglow
03-02-2012, 09:39 AM
I do enjoy flying but I have to have a window seat for it because I find it fascinating. I remember doing a night flight back from Egypt where I didn't get a window seat and I was soo bored. I ended up sitting there glued to the monitor on the seat in front of me watching the satellite update of where the plane was exactly. I grew up wanting to fly fighter jets so for me a big old airliner isn't quite what I'd imagined but either way I'm totally down with flying. If EoFF ever wanted to make my dreams come true you just all have to buy me one of those "go up in a fighter jet" experience kind of things.

Other than that I would say Train is the most convenient. I remember being the passenger in the back of a car all the way from Poznan to this place 50km from Warsaw, it was a really long and quite dull journey. Poland it seems is 95% forest which would be awesome if it wasn't for my hay fever mostly being that I'm allergic to tree pollen. I would prefer to drive myself because then I'd at least have to pay attention to doing something I am not the type who sits still doing nothing well.

I want to buy a motorcycle but this depends on where I end up living for the foreseeable future.

Jiro
03-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Speaking of trains, I'm pretty excited about going to Japan because in the prefecture I'm going to, they have a Halloween Party on a train that goes from one end of the prefecture to the other and back. Party on a train I am STOKED!

Gosh better start saving money then, I wanna do this!

Christmas
05-25-2022, 11:27 AM
My fav mode of transport is riding a Four-Chocobos armored chariot with an arsenal of SWORDS like Cloud's bike since I like to go for Green energy and care for the lifestream. :bigsmile:

We will fertilize the plants we see along the way with our organic feces and cut down those that uses Mako powered vehicles. It is the least i could do for the planet. :bigsmile: