PDA

View Full Version : Mourning the death of the manual.

Quindiana Jones
02-27-2012, 01:12 PM
The manual found on the inside cover was once a precious thing. Filled with backstory and explanations of everything in the game from controls to characters, weapons to wildlife, terrain to tuh-raining tips. However, in recent years, these manuals seem to have gone on a diet.

Discussing what a tragedy this new fad is and how everyone who supports it is a filthy vagabond. Also feel free to discuss your favourite and least favourite manuals or any particularly special times you've had with them. If you have never read the manuals, die.

I Don't Need A Name
02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I remember the disappointment upon opening Gears of War 3 to find just a piece of paper. My housemate was tempted to return it on principle alone.

Slothy
02-27-2012, 01:58 PM
The FFVI manual is tattered and worn. Held together by staples which strain to do the job of maintaining order and discipline amongst pages who've long since passed from bright eyed and firm bodied youth and succumbed to the rigors of time and old age. They refuse to waiver in their duty, though the pages sag and are filled with the wrinkles and folds which belie their years of use. The cover is long since lost, but those pages hold. They know their purpose and they fulfill their responsibilities so long as they still hold the message they were entrusted to give to whoever made the effort to open them.

Small hands held and turned those pages before dark brown eyes filled with wonder at what secrets could be discovered within. Eyes which looked on the works they contained with the wonder only a child could muster, following the loose flowing brush strokes that simultaneously defined the characters without limiting them. The colours and shades mingling and running together in ways which seemed to have no borders at all, letting them and the world they inhabited flow from the page to fill an imagination with this amazing and complete world filled with characters, places and beasts every bit as wondrous and magical as what those pages tried to convey in their limited fashion.

The hands which held those pages aren't as small now. There's less wonder in those brown eyes. But those pages remain ever vigilant. Waiting for the times when those hands reach out to them, that they may bring some measure of wonder to one who has himself succumbed to the same effects of time and is wearier than he used to be, if only for the briefest of moments.

I miss instruction manuals.

Bolivar
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
There's a few things a game can do to let you know, right off the bat ,that you're about to partake in a very special product of love. It could run in dts audio. It could run natively in 1080p. But if it has a manual, you know you're in for some ish.

Honestly, I hate that no one even tries with manuals anymore and it's almost offensive when all you get is a few grayscale pages telling you how to turn on the system, what the HUD means, and the legal boilerplate. It's mostly the content, as a lot of games that have gray manuals manage to pull out something special, like the comics in MGS4's, or the propaganda and art style of the Killzone booklets.

edit: and Vivi, that was amazing :eek:

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2012, 03:03 PM
I never know why people complain about this. I've had a manual in every new game I've bought over the last couple of years and they still have everything the old ones do (granted that isn't many because I tend to buy used). A bit of backstory, info on basic gameplay elements, handwaving of bugs or bad design (from dying from running too fast in Sonic is a diabolical trap set by Dr. Robotnik to the Animus 2.0 fixing a "bug" that made you instantly drown when you touched water in Assassin's Creed). And even cute little comics in games like Ace Attorney!

Maybe we're just buying different games :confused:

Pike
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
That wonderful feel when you were a kid and you were treated to a new Super Nintendo game or something and you hungrily read the manual on the drive home.

Also: That feel when SMAC has a 252 page manual. I have a copy on my computer. My face when I read it:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/masonry/000/042/016/1267558201165.jpg

NorthernChaosGod
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
I've complained about this to my friends many times before. And what came with this, is the flimsy fucking video game cases that have holes cut out of it. :nonono:

Why must they skimp on the materials that getting new games was about? I would always, always pour over the manual of a new game before even taking the disc out of the case. Cheers for making this thread, mate.

Slothy
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
edit: and Vivi, that was amazing :eek:

To elaborate a bit more on what I said earlier because I've seen this question pop up on a few other forums lately and have been giving it a bit of thought here and there, and in some ways to address Jessweeee's post; the best instruction manuals weren't instruction manuals at all.

I didn't need a book to tell me how to play the damn games when I was 7 years old, and if I didn't need to have that explained to me then, I sure as hell don't need it now (good thing to since manuals these days actually explain less than they used to in my experience). A good instruction manual was one that realized it was more than just a manual. It went into detail about game mechanics which was never found in the game itself. It gave backstory on the characters and world which you may miss or which might not even feature in the game because of time/storage limitations. It would fill itself to the brim with interesting and full colour concept art, screen shots or maps.

A good instruction manual was as much about exploring the game as the actual game was, and it was made with the same level of care. It's hard to remember the really good ones now since I've lost so many over the years, but manuals like that found in FFVI, A Link to the Past, or Illusion of Gaia (with the freaking strategy guide included in the manual), SMAC, Starcraft, etc. understood it. The manual isn't just there to tell you how to play, or to serve as a gateway to the game world, it's a reference and a companion. It's where you go when you want to learn more about just about anything. It's the book you flip open while playing and wear out through overuse.

The only thing that's really comparable these days is the modern strategy guide, but people who don't understand why some of us miss good manuals need to realize that they were like miniature versions of the strategy guides you'll find on shelves today. All of the things I grew to love about strategy guides starting with the PSX and carrying on into later console generations were the things I loved about those rare few manuals included right there in the packaging during the NES and SNES days.

In fact, I almost have to wonder if strategy guides may have killed the instruction manual as some of us knew it.

EDIT:I also want to point out that with the exception, perhaps, of the Cat in the Hat, I've read the manual for FFVI cover to cover more times than any book ever written. I took that thing with me everywhere in my bookbag to read when the mood struck me.

Quindiana Jones
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I never know why people complain about this. I've had a manual in every new game I've bought over the last couple of years and they still have everything the old ones do (granted that isn't many because I tend to buy used). A bit of backstory, info on basic gameplay elements, handwaving of bugs or bad design (from dying from running too fast in Sonic is a diabolical trap set by Dr. Robotnik to the Animus 2.0 fixing a "bug" that made you instantly drown when you touched water in Assassin's Creed). And even cute little comics in games like Ace Attorney!

Hm. Right, well... you don't deserve death, but still... I know! Experience a minor injury.

Jessweeee♪
02-27-2012, 03:56 PM
Well I just got a paper cut when I went to go file away passport copies so I hope you're happy :<

Quindiana Jones
02-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Extremely. As I used to say, I'm like God, but better. So now you know not to cross me. :sternfaceofdivineauthority:

Vyk
02-27-2012, 05:53 PM
The Complete versions of the Lunar games. 200 page full color art/strategy/backstory/character descriptions. Beautiful. And leather-bound. With cloth maps and jewelry. Working Designs knew how to pack their products properly

Bolivar
02-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Yes we are.

Sephex
02-27-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm in the middle on this topic. On one hand, I will miss the more elaborate manuals that actually had even the smallest amount of effort. On the other, this is kind of how I don't understand why people get so hung up on box art. I ultimately care what is on the disc, cart, file, etc.

That said, Vivi22's original post was quite good and heartfelt.

Iceglow
02-27-2012, 10:25 PM
The initiative was led by EA amongst other game developers, Activision being another major one. Basically the idea was to put tutorials and introductions on the disc and cut the manual out since the publishing costs drove the average production cost up and also generated a lot higher carbon footprint for each game made. Same goes with the boxes with the "holes" in them, they use something like 60% less plastic than the old solid panel cases. In some situations the new eco boxes have been put to good design use. I recall opening my first 3DS title to find that in the "windows" of the holes in the box were little pieces of artwork, that was pretty awesome tbf and still is. Other situations you end up with a eco case which is boring and basically shows a white and green checker board.

I still miss the manuals though, I would always enjoy reading them. I remember Civ 2 had a massively huge manual as well as SMAC and would literally work as a reference for if you forgot what techs led to what. etc.

krissy
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
man my ff7 manual is TATTERED

so much use

it meant more to me as a kid but it's kind of sad that kids nowadays aren't getting the same kind of manuals if what this thread says is correct. i got two nice ones in english and french with my copy of ff13. color and everything. pre bent so you didn't feel bad sticking your bits straight into it.

wait i think i said that a little wrong.

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2012, 12:48 AM
I remember having detailed manuals was something of an anti-piracy measure. I can remember checking out a few walkthroughs that actually would answer questions about controls with "buy the damn game and read the manual".

Pike
02-28-2012, 01:01 AM
I remember having detailed manuals was something of an anti-piracy measure. I can remember checking out a few walkthroughs that actually would answer questions about controls with "buy the damn game and read the manual".

I recall some Commodore 64 games from way back in the day that did this. They'd have sections that you could not pass unless you entered a code from the manual. Cracked games were huge back then. (We had a bunch :shobon: )

NorthernChaosGod
02-28-2012, 01:09 AM
That's pretty dickish. xD

Didn't Metal Gear Solid do something similar? Fucking Codec frequency actually on the game case.

Kossage
02-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Yeah, I miss good ol' manuals too. The feeling of reading them on the way home, getting to know characters and gameplay mechanics, all of this before even playing the game. Two manuals in particular that left a fond memory on me were Starcraft and Age of Empires. :)

Starcraft's manual containted useful information about the gameplay elements but also made it in an interesting way, constantly delivering subtle exposition of the races themselves, their history as well as the factions within them. Those little tidbits (such as the function of different Zerg broods) helped me immerse myself in the game's world and understand that I was going to enter into a grand adventure with a detailed, fascinating history behind it. :p

Ditto for AoE which also included a big book about the histories of the different civilizations; a history buff like me devoured that thing almost in one sitting even though I was still learning elementary English. It was such a nice extra for a gamer and was quite an entertaining read. :D

Pike
02-28-2012, 01:41 AM
That's pretty dickish. xD

Didn't Metal Gear Solid do something similar? Fucking Codec frequency actually on the game case.

That was great.

Or you just could've looked up each codec one by one until you found the right one. I think some people did that. xD

Sephex
02-28-2012, 01:46 AM
Or you just could've looked up each codec one by one until you found the right one. I think some people did that. xD

I know for a fact that edczxcvbnm told me he did this...when the case was in the same room he was in. He didn't feel like finding it.

krissy
02-28-2012, 01:49 AM
i think it's 140.15
like off the top of my head i know this.

let me go check

f yeah it totally is

GhandiOwnsYou
02-28-2012, 02:00 AM
I have to say that I'm all over the map about this. I don't think we are witnessing the DEATH of the game manual, but the death of the STANDARD game manual.

On the one hand, you've got the games that come with no manual. Mirrors Edge is the first one that comes to mind. Nothing, Zip, Nada in the box but a disc. I'm respect this more than the next type, because at least they have their theory about moving forward. They can stick to their guns of going fully digital, and eliminating paper-waste or something.

This is opposed to THESE games.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/GhandiOwnsYou/IMG_0520.jpg
I mean really. (This particular game gets a pass, but only because it's Portal.) It REALLY grates me when I pull out a manual, and it's 5 pages. Usually a controller scheme, a HUD description, an ad, an Epilepsy warning, and something about a customer support number. It gets on my tits, because someone obviously said at some point "Hey, someone take about ten minutes and do a game manual. We don't really give a crap, but we need something to put under the tabs other than a flyer for The Uncharted Call of Halo 62 and an online pass code." If you're going to insult me with this leaflet, then just don't print anything and pretend like example 1.

Then you've got the multitude of games that have normal, if slightly lackluster manuals. I think this is more a product of the times though. When you look through an NES manual, this was their place to show off the game designers vision. It showed you what the Mario in THEIR mind looked like. You got look at the world's aesthetic through a game manual that you couldn't get through 8 or 16 bit graphics. Also, the games were FAR simpler. New manuals of the same length have to dedicate FAR more pages to the explanation of game mechanics and they have the benefit of powerful enough graphics to put this detailed vision IN the game instead of on the paper. It's the natural evolution.

But then, and this is where I just love modern games, you have THESE beauties.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v332/GhandiOwnsYou/IMG_0521.jpg
Often times for a pittance you can upgrade a game to come with enough swag to make an PSX game weep. I think this is where the game manufacturers got smart. The 3-price model is becoming more and more popular, with a standard "I just want to play the game" box, a "I miss having some physical media" box for ten bucks or so more, and your "MY GOD IF I DON'T HAVE A PLATINUM MASTER SWORD I WILL EFFING DIE" Fangasm money pit. Granted, it's coming from a guy who buys Vinyl albums instead of MP3's because I like the nostalgia of physical media, large inserts and album covers, but I'm more than willing to pay an extra $10 bucks for a good game to get a quality box and some schwag with it. Used to be I would even spring for the super fan sets occasionally (...until I did so for Duke Nukem Forever. I hate myself so much for that. So much.)

So yeah, I guess it sucks to not be able to count on getting a decent manual, but I think we're just at a point where the games are so fleshed out that an old school manual would feel repetitive. Necessary evil for the games we get to play now.

Jiro
02-28-2012, 03:53 AM
If you give me a manual in electronic form, then I won't destroy you. If you give me the three page smurfers that tell you a) the copyright b) the controller layout and then c) the control scheme in black and white then I will tit on your face until you die. Instead of continuing here about how much I love manuals, I will ask you to reread Vivi22's posts.

Depression Moon
02-28-2012, 03:58 AM
I never cared for them. 90% of the time I never bothered to read any bit of them. They just give me info I can get from playing the game anyway.

blackmage_nuke
02-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Anything that has a setup or installation time should have a manual so theres something to read while we wait. I enjoy the extra art though sometimes the manuals contain spoilers

Quindiana Jones
02-29-2012, 01:36 AM
The conclusion is that every bad thing that has happened to games as a medium and gaming as an industry is due to EA and Activision, so they must be destroyed.

Time to get my boycott boots on. :smug:

Vyk
02-29-2012, 02:32 AM
If only that wouldn't destroy the gaming industry, I'd be right behind you. Unfortunately their deep pockets are required for the production costs :( If only there were a better economic way for developers to get their games out. Digital distribution is probably the most viable. But then we'd still be missing the manual. Not a big fan of the PDF thing. What am I supposed to read when I have to poop right after buying a game...

krissy
02-29-2012, 04:59 AM
um duh, plan your poops AROUND new game purchases.

Vyk
02-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Its one of those inevitability things. Like getting scuffs on new shoes the day after buying them. It can't NOT happen :P

Quindiana Jones
03-01-2012, 05:38 AM
Off topic question: If you had brown shoes, could you not just wear them while you game and poop on the scuffs when you poop? Seems to me like this would solve all your problems.

Bubba
03-01-2012, 03:07 PM
Lovely thread. I adored Vivi's comments

My favourite game manuals were definitely from the Super Nintendo era. Fleshed out, full-colour beauties that filled a youngsters head with excitement and wonder.

The pinnacle for me though was 'A Link to the Past'. From the opening story background it was filled with great artwork. It showed you all the collectible items you could come across which really whetted your appetite for playing the game. Along with what weapons you could locate to vanquish enemies with.

There was a brief description of some of the enemies you expect to find... again with great artwork to accompany it.

I was hugely disappointed when I opened my copy of Uncharted: Golden Abyss recently to be confronted with a tiny game card and not much else. I know there is a detailed guide on screen but it just isn't the same for me.

I'll miss the days sat on the carpet with your trusty manual at your side... ready and waiting to aid you in moments of despair.

Parker
03-01-2012, 03:22 PM
I loved the Grand Theft Auto manuals. So much fun.

Otherwise I don't think I've looked at a manual in years. The controls and so on are usually in the tutorial part of the game, so I don't bother looking at the manual unless its interesting or pretty. I guess I don't mind that they're disappearing, because the small ones are basically a waste of ink and paper

Quindiana Jones
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
I liked the Halo: CE manual that told you all about the weapons.