PDA

View Full Version : Battle Royale

Yar
02-28-2012, 05:38 AM
Has anyone else ever seen it? :D Seeing the previews for this Hunger Games movie reminds me of it. :kakapo:

DK
02-28-2012, 05:42 AM
One of my favourite films, it's pretty hilarious and Shizukana Hibi no Kaidan Wo is possibly my favourite end credits song from any movie ever. The book is awful though. Not in the sense that it's a bad book, it's a great book, but it is horrifically depressing. I haven't read it for years because the last time I did it almost crushed my soul.

Wolf Kanno
02-28-2012, 07:24 AM
The movie is awesome in a kind of cheesy "so bad it's good" but the manga adaption is pretty soul crushing as well, never even attempted to read the novelization cause I couldn't even get far into the manga adaption.

Pike
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Ooh, I remember this being a really good movie when I watched it. But it was so long ago that I don't remember most of it, other than the whole "yeah it was good" thing.

Peegee
02-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Sure. I even saw the sequel (don't). It's a neat film but am i supposed to feel some japanese feelings? Or is it just popcorn happy death times?

Madonna
02-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Sorry, kept to the novel, which was great and very thought-provoking. In an elitist and snobby move, I will now suggest the film probably plays up the gore and violence, completely missing the point of the story. Judging from the book's length, I denounce the manga as a horrible failure; no graphic novel could be thick enough to contain it. In short: read the book.

charliepanayi
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry, kept to the novel, which was great and very thought-provoking. In an elitist and snobby move, I will now suggest the film probably plays up the gore and violence, completely missing the point of the story. Judging from the book's length, I denounce the manga as a horrible failure; no graphic novel could be thick enough to contain it. In short: read the book.

In short, watch the film as it's very good, rather than presuming to know how it is.

Raistlin
02-28-2012, 05:19 PM
The movie is entertaining with a completely nonsensical and amusing ending. I have not read the book, though have heard it is very different and contains more in the way of social commentary and drama and is meant to be thought-provoking, which the movie didn't really do. I have been meaning to read the book myself, though have not gotten around to it.

sharkythesharkdogg
02-28-2012, 05:29 PM

In short, watch the film as it's very good, rather than presuming to know how it is.

The movie is entertaining with a completely nonsensical and amusing ending. I have not read the book, though have heard it is very different and contains more in the way of social commentary and drama and is meant to be thought-provoking, which the movie didn't really do. I have been meaning to read the book myself, though have not gotten around to it.

I've read the book. Raistlin has heard correctly, and Lynx was correct in presuming that was the case. It's not the first and will not be the last movie to take a novel, down play the social commentary, and also play up the gore/violence entertainment factor.

His reasons for not wanting to see the movie or read the manga are valid, as the concerns he had are true. Some presumptions can be damaging, and while this presumption shouldn't keep someone from trying the movie out, presuming his presumption was wrong is, in and of, itself presumptuous. ;)

krissy
02-28-2012, 06:18 PM
MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzrumwfB6L1r8c567o1_1280.jpg

Shiny
02-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Battle Royale book is similar to The Hunger Games book, but Battle Royale is better imo. I really liked the movie despite cringing at some parts (like the crotch knife scene). It does play up the gore, but you really can't do a story like that properly without the violence. The only thing that really bugged me about the movie was the fact that many of the actors didn't look like they were middle school students.

charliepanayi
02-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Battle Royale book is similar to The Hunger Games book, but Battle Royale is better imo. I really liked the movie despite cringing at some parts (like the crotch knife scene). It does play up the gore, but you really can't do a story like that properly without the violence. The only thing that really bugged me about the movie was the fact that many of the actors didn't look like they were middle school students.

To be fair with stuff set in schools etc, it's inevitable to have actors a good few years older than the parts they're playing (blame child labour laws - Will Ferrell in Zoolander was right!).

Shlup
02-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't remember much about it other than that I liked it when I saw it.

I'm very excited for The Hunger Games movie.

krissy
02-29-2012, 05:01 AM
shlup will you be my peeta
you can bake bread and i can shoot rabbits
ps your husband can be gale

Miriel
02-29-2012, 07:50 AM
I remember watching it back when it was The Thing To Do on the internet. Watch Battle Royale and talk about how awesome it was. I think it was good, but not worth the hype.

Psychotic
02-29-2012, 06:22 PM
I've seen the movie 2-3 times now and I thought it was great. Not enough to want to read a manga or a novel though because, y'know, effort.

Madame Adequate
02-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I remember watching it back when it was The Thing To Do on the internet. Watch Battle Royale and talk about how awesome it was. I think it was good, but not worth the hype.

I agree with Miriel's assessment of this movie.

Araciel
03-01-2012, 04:37 PM
I had a mancrush on psycho Kazuo...err...

Pike
03-02-2012, 01:11 AM

I agree with Miriel's assessment of this movie.

Hux you are a scarf and a cup of Starbucks away from being a hipster. :mymelbert:

Shiny
03-03-2012, 06:25 AM
I had a mancrush on psycho Kazuo...err...
Yeah Masanobu Ando is pretty hot.

krissy
03-25-2012, 03:48 PM
The Hunger Games (2012)
TOMATOMETERAll CriticsTop Critics
86%
Average Rating: 7.3/10
Reviews Counted: 213
Fresh: 183 | Rotten: 30
AUDIENCE 95%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.7/5
User Ratings: 32,452

Battle Royale (Batoru Rowaiaru) (2001)
TOMATOMETERAll CriticsTop Critics
85%
Average Rating: 7.4/10
Reviews Counted: 26
Fresh: 22 | Rotten: 4
AUDIENCE 90%
liked it
Average Rating: 4.1/5
User Ratings: 74,064

WELL I GUESS THE WINNER IS CLEAR HERE

blackmage_nuke
03-26-2012, 07:48 AM
I liked Battle Royale, wish there was more gore to change a good movie to a great movie. It felt a bit toned down. Battle Royale II was pretty bad though.