PDA

View Full Version : Tiny Houses

Pike
03-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Tumbleweed Tiny House Company (http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/)

Would you live in a tiny house?

I'm not so sure about those ones that basically fit in the back of a pickup truck but I could see living in one of the slightly bigger "studio" sized ones. I basically never leave my room anyway; I'd be set if I could get a kitchen and bathroom in here.

Freya
03-01-2012, 06:39 AM
The two story house like that are cool. Just the loft above and the rest below. I'm okay with a little space. In fact, i'm not keen on lots of spaces. I feel more comfortable in small places. I think I could live in a tiny house.

I want a treehouse, and those are small so seeeee it works!

Bubba
03-01-2012, 12:29 PM
Hmmm...

Pros
Cleaning would take about ten minutes
You can probably build another in no time at all

Cons
A house fire would leave you homeless in about 5 minutes
House parties would be awkward
I couldn't play on my Wii without serious injury
I would need another of these houses purely for my video game collection
People will definitley be able to hear you poop

I'm not sure I'd be able to do it...

fire_of_avalon
03-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I really need a space with a washer and dryer so nope.

Peegee
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I love this.

however most places in canada don't really like this (why would anybody who is trying to maximize profit do this?) - i would have to buy a plot of land for rather expensive monies, then buy this.

i can't state how much i love this - i hate having to pay for a house for 30 years. i don't want to. i want to be debt free and play vidya. there's enough room for video games in there, right? what? there is? yay!

ReloadPsi
03-01-2012, 02:09 PM
My house needs to at least have a bath, and I despise my current place for not having one (just a shower) so I guess any place I live in would at least need to be big enough for that. I imagine these "tiny houses" would only have room for a shower.

Bubba
03-01-2012, 02:18 PM
Are these not just caravans built to look like a house?

sharkythesharkdogg
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't know about the prices.

The biggest one is around 60k according to the site. A friend of mine built his own place with the help of his father for around 40k. It's much larger. Living quarters above with two car drive in garage and wash room below.

Araciel
03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Needs more house. And PG in Fiji, you pay down your principal as you go so it takes more like 10 years.

Peegee
03-01-2012, 05:28 PM
Needs more house. And PG in Fiji, you pay down your principal as you go so it takes more like 10 years.

>fiji
>not canada

where am I supposed to work?

Anyway sharky is hinting I can get a house for 40 grand + cost of land. Do want.

Bunny
03-01-2012, 05:30 PM
I would live in something like this (http://i.imgur.com/fDHrS.jpg).

Sephex
03-01-2012, 05:33 PM
I already live in a small apartment! However, if I were to get a house, I wouldn't want a small one. You know, so my penis doesn't cramp my living space anymore.

NorthernChaosGod
03-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I could see myself living in something like that. Nice find.

Psychotic
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I've got one of those in my back garden. It's where shovels and paint live, not me, and for a damned good reason.

Rantz
03-01-2012, 06:36 PM
I could live that compactly. I don't want to live quite that small cause my ideal house has more stuff than that. But the principle of removing excess space, I'm more than fine with. Excess space can be useful on the odd occasion, but mostly I feel like it makes a place feel less like a home.

Looks lovely. I would live the shit out of that.

Shlup
03-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I would love to live in a very small house in the distant future. My Nana and Pa live in a very small cabin in the mountains, and I would be thrilled to steal it out from under the rest of my family once they're dead. They actually have three tiny log cabins in a row--each a different size. One is just a bed and a bathroom and a stove, the next is a studio, and the one they're currently living in has a jacuzzi tub, a dining space, and a room in the back where they grow weed. They also have nice outdoor seating areas.

For now, though, I need a big house to raise children and have my own craft space.

Jiro
03-03-2012, 12:41 AM
I'd probably get claustrophic and flip my shit.

NorthernChaosGod
03-03-2012, 05:15 AM
You guys are ridiculous; some of those designs are as big or bigger than some apartments.

Agent Proto
03-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Imagine living inside this.

http://www.mnn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/node-gallery-display/05ecobiketrailor.jpg

Yes, that is a home.

Tigmafuzz
03-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I don't care how tiny it is as long as I have internet and air conditioning. It's still better than the street. Trust me.

GhandiOwnsYou
03-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Eh. I did a year in 56 square feet. It's doable if you set it up right. Consider though, that I had a separate shower/toilet and ate out or from microwave/mini fridge meals the whole time. My personal favorites for wonky home design are the Dome house by monolithic.
Monolithic Dome homes, schools, churches, storages, gyms and more (http://www.monolithic.com)

Pro-tip for tiny living spaces: Stringing a hammock corner to corner of the room with carabiners eliminates the room a bed would take up, and takes about two seconds to hang against the wall in the morning.

sharkythesharkdogg
03-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Anyway sharky is hinting I can get a house for 40 grand + cost of land. Do want.

It helps the he and his father are competent with carpentry, plumbing, and wiring but yes, he saved a lot by building on his own.

Pike
03-05-2012, 05:42 AM
I once knew a guy who at age 24 or so built an entire house from scratch. He did the whole thing by himself over the course of a year or something, working 18 hours a day. I don't know if I've ever been so impressed.

Clouded Sky
03-05-2012, 12:55 PM
I would definitely live in one of the cottage style ones! I have no problem with smaller ones, but if it's going to be a "house" it might as well be a little bigger. I currently have a 400 sq ft apartment and I'll probably get something <200sqft when my lease is up because I simply don't use the space at all!