PDA

View Full Version : It's not a FAQ if no one asked you anything, so what is it?

MJN SEIFER
03-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Let's say you were making something, and you had already guessed some of the questions people might ask you about it, so you placed all the answers to those questions in one place. It is the same format as a FAQ, but since no questions were actually asked, it isn't a FAQ (even though real questions may be added to it if you decide to once, they're asked - i.e. the ones you didn't think of.) So what would you call this if you did it?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, I wasn't sure if this was Help Forum material or not, but I think that's more for technical help, but if I'm wrong move it there if you want.

Jiro
03-03-2012, 05:09 AM
You call it a FAQ because you pre-emptively answered all of the questions you would be frequently asked.

Tigmafuzz
03-03-2012, 06:09 AM
and you had already guessed some of the questions people might ask you about it, so you placed all the answers to those questions in one place
I thought that's what most FAQs were, anyway. In order to keep people from asking questions with obvious answers and/or help people understand the topic or purpose of whatever the FAQ is for.

Psychotic
03-03-2012, 06:27 AM
I think FAQ is a word whose meaning has now evolved. I wouldn't take the actual "Frequently Asked Questions" part of it literally.

Peegee
03-03-2012, 07:21 AM
faq means frequently asked questions.

if the questions were frequently asked, it would be a faq

why are you stupid, pg?

nobody's every asked that but i bet most of you have thought it.

anyway english language often is context based and inferenced required. so if i said 'faq' and you knew that to be 'questions and answers', we cool breh.

Sephex
03-03-2012, 07:39 AM
why are you stupid, pg?

Don't you ever call yourself stupid, PG. Don't you ever.....

<3

Tigmafuzz
03-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Don't listen to him, PG! YOU CAN BE STUPID IF YOU BELIEVE!

blackmage_nuke
03-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Q&A if you want a more general form of FAQ

Rantz
03-03-2012, 10:17 AM
You know what I hate is when businesses make a "FAQ" and fill it with leading questions nobody would ever ask.

Q: Does [software] support [obscure feature]?
A: Yes!

Q: Wow! What other products do you recommend?
A: We recommend EVERYTHING ELSE THAT WE MAKE!!

blackmage_nuke
03-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I think the real issue is how we are supposed to pronounce FAQ.
EF AY KYU is time consuming, fahk as in park sounds too much like 'smurf' and fak as in jack sounds too much like 'fag'
fahkw and fakw are ridiculous because theres no u after the q

Agent Proto
03-03-2012, 11:04 AM
FAQ is pronounced "fack". I know it may sound much like "fag" but you don't hear that word very often. Besides, how else could you pronounce GameFAQs without having to resort to spelling out FAQ in the name? The way I pronounce GameFAQs make it sound like I'm saying "game facts". Matter in fact, when someone wants help, you could just tell them to "check the FAQs". It just makes sense.

Pike
03-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I call it a RAQ for Rarely Asked Questions. Then I can tell people to check out my RAQ.

rubah
03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Just replace Asked with Answered. You are answering it. You are answering it every instant your site is up. Voila.

Rantz
03-03-2012, 03:52 PM
Or Anticipated.

Tigmafuzz
03-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Frequently Asked/Anticipated/Answered Questions. FAAAQ. Pronounced Fa-a-a-ack.

MJN SEIFER
03-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the response everyone, I appreciate them and think I know how to go about it now. Thanks :)

Jiro
03-04-2012, 09:45 PM
This thread went great places. I know I really want to check out Pike's RAQ too now. (Now? Implying I didn't already want to.)

Tigmafuzz
03-05-2012, 12:08 AM
You'll have to duel with Huxley then.

NorthernChaosGod
03-05-2012, 04:04 AM
I want to be the moderator of the duel.

Jiro
03-06-2012, 01:51 AM
MILF and I wouldn't duel. I'd graciously surrender because the guy's a bro. Bought me smurfing Deus Ex he did.