PDA

View Full Version : Best new TV shows - 2011 & 2012

Loony BoB
03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
What have you come across so far? I'm starting to look for another show to get into. I just watched the pilot for Once Upon A Time which seeemed okay, although I'm not immediately hooked. So far my favourite new TV show is, by some distance, Suits. I just finished watching the first season and am hooked. I love every character at the firm and the two regulars outside of the firm aren't shabby either. But anyways. What have you been watching and what do you think of it?

Del Murder
03-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I like New Girl, though the guys are more funny than the Girl.
Also......Game of Thrones. :)

Loony BoB
03-03-2012, 07:03 PM
Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of New Girl, too. Danielle loves it. It hasn't really hooked me - my favourite character was in the pilot and he couldn't make it through to a full series, and his replacement lacks the eccentricities the rest of them seem to have. I think I can watch random episodes but not get really into it to the level that I could watch a full season in one go.

I've heard a lot about Game of Thrones and will probably check it out. =]

Psychotic
03-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Yeah, definitely both Suits and Game of Thrones for me. I have nothing worthwhile to add to the thread beyond that. :shobon:

Bunny
03-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Suits is a great show. I've also enjoyed Person of Interest, Revenge, The River (though it seems to be one of those shows that is better when viewed back-to-back rather than on a weekly basis), and Awake. The last one just started up recently but it has one of the more intriguing plots of the year.

There are some other shows I'd recommend but I think they're more returning rather than new shows.

I Don't Need A Name
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I've seen a few episodes of New Girl, too. Danielle loves it. It hasn't really hooked me - my favourite character was in the pilot and he couldn't make it through to a full series, and his replacement lacks the eccentricities the rest of them seem to have. I think I can watch random episodes but not get really into it to the level that I could watch a full season in one go.

I've heard a lot about Game of Thrones and will probably check it out. =]

Yeah, I thought Coach was a legend too. Winston does grow on you after a while, and he's definitely risen to a better character in the newer episodes (by the American broadcast schedule)

~*~Celes~*~
03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Once Upon a Time is my favorite show right now. I also find myself kind of liking Suburgatory for some reason. *Shrug*

Loony BoB
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
*downloads the pilots of all mentioned shows* Thanks guys. :D Keep 'em coming!

Mittopotahis
03-03-2012, 11:05 PM
Technically it started in September 2009, but I'm suggesting it anyway: Community. Such a brilliantly written, funny show. Basically about a bunch of misfits going to community college in the states, full of pop-culture references and parodies. But like, really well done. It's been very hard for me to get into any other comedy shows recently because my expectation has been set so high because of Community and 30 Rock.

Del Murder
03-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Yeah he's not a character like the rest, but he does become more ingrained with the rest of the cast and place a decent straight man to their craziness.

Loony BoB
03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
He's Winston Zeddemore!

Shattered Dreamer
03-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Apart from New Girl I don't think I'm watching a show that isn't at least into it's 5th season

Loony BoB
03-04-2012, 06:20 PM
Time for you to start watching Suits, obviously. ;)

We've watched the pilot episodes of Once Upon a Time, Game of Thrones, Suburgatory and Revenge so far. Of those, Suburgatory isn't really what we're looking for (if we want raw comedy we tend to prefer comedians), but the other three are all interesting enough to warrant a look at a second episode. We also watched the pilots for some older shows - Mad Men and Warehouse 13 - the former of which we were put off by the extremely slow and boring pilot, the latter of which we were put off by it being generally rubbish. :p We still have to watch the pilot for The River which I've downloaded.

Depression Moon
03-04-2012, 07:32 PM
The Walking Dead and Young Justice for me.

Hollycat
03-04-2012, 08:23 PM
My Little Pony Friendship is magic. No seriously. Watch it.

Crop
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I don't really watch much TV anymore, let alone any new shows. I pretty much watch only movies I haven't seen and occasionally re-runs of a comedy show if I'm in the mood.

The only new TV show I've watched in the past couple of years and gotten into is Boardwalk Empire. That show is incredible, just finished watching the second series and the third is out this Autumn, thankfully after I come back from the US. I can't wait.

Depression Moon
03-05-2012, 10:15 PM
I forgot to mention American Horror Story too. Good stuff.

Chris
03-10-2012, 07:51 PM
The entire Spartacus series will forever be branded on my insides, as will Vampire Diaries. :jess:

Secondly, Hell on Wheels. The people behind The Walking Dead has yet again struck gold.

Also, Grimm is quite simply an amazing show. It is everything I hoped Once Upon a Time would be, but wasn't.

Also, at last... I cannot stress hard enough just how hooked I am on:

http://www.werewolves.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Teen-Wolf-title-shot.png

McLovin'
03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Awake is a new show and it is so far pretty interesting. Only 2 episodes so far though.

If you want a cool short series to watch then Misfits is pretty awesome. I recommend not looking up anything about the show though and just watching the pilot...

Freya
03-15-2012, 04:59 AM
GCB. Oh gawd do I love that show so far. It's only had 2 episodes but having grown up/near texan women the whole Good Christian Bitches thing, so fitting, so hilarious, and so accurate. Plus Kristin Chenoweth, that little women is incredibly funny.

Other than that yeah, GoT.

Loony BoB
03-15-2012, 09:53 AM
Watched all of Game of Thrones and thoroughly enjoyed it. :D On a gaming run now so not much TV being watched, but it will likely be watching Revenge and Once Upon a Time next. Prooooobably in that order.

Bunny
03-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Dirk Gently. It just started. It is good. Sentence fragments.

Shiny
03-17-2012, 12:04 PM
I like shows about working class America, so Shameless is particularly interesting to me. I use to be really interested in Walking Dead before it became a walking nightmare.

Big D
03-20-2012, 07:54 AM
The Almighty Johnsons started last year, and recently began its second series. Great show, though unlikely to be seen by most of you unless it gets a crummy UK or USA remake.

Miriel
03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
Downton Abbey - Loooove. My fav new show.

Game of Thrones - obviously

New Girl - It's decent, but it suffers from too much Zooey Deschanel. She works best when taken in small doses, and the show is downright hilarious when she's not on the screen.

I haven't watched but I'd heard good things about Homeland and Revenge.

I keep confusing Grimm & Once Upon a Time. I watched one of the pilots but didn't get any further. What's the point? Both these shows are going to be canceled.

The Walking Dead is a awful, horribly written show. But I still dutifully watch it every week. What's up with that?

Not a new show, but it's new to me: The Good Wife. I've really been enjoying it. It's one of the best lawyer shows I've seen, and really interesting and strong female characters which is a rarity.

Del Murder
03-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Started watching Sherlock and it is great. The odd thing is that each season is only 3 episodes long and each episode is an hour and a half. Not really your typical show. Is that just how the Brits do it?

Bunny
03-20-2012, 02:57 PM
The Walking Dead is a awful, horribly written show. But I still dutifully watch it every week. What's up with that?

The first season was good. Some of the characters were likable, good, believable. You watch in hopes that the show will return to its beginning and become good again. Every episode of this season just makes me realize how dumb and unrealistic every character is being. Which is outstanding, since the entire premise of the show is unrealistic.

I tried both Grimm and Once Upon A Time Out. Of the two, Grimm was better, even though I stopped watching it for now (I'm waiting for the entire season to run its course before I give it another go). It also just got renewed for a second season.

And yea, a lot of Brit shows do season that are under 10 episodes. I'm not sure why they do that, it can be really frustrating. I forgot to suggest it earlier since it isn't really new but Luther is an incredible show and only has a few episodes in the series.

Loony BoB
03-20-2012, 03:10 PM
British TV series are shorter because, from what I understand, due to having less funding and also more focus on quality over quantity. Less 'filler' episodes and more time spent on each episode.

I agree that it's annoying, but on the flipside, I wonder if they would be as good to watch if they made 20 episodes per season? The quality would naturally go downhill at least a little, and they would have less time to write more story.

Jinx
03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Actually, BoB, American seasons are getting shorter. Probably for funding reasons, but the shows are still shit.

I saw the first few episodes of New Girl, but didn't stick with it. I thought it was really funny, but just didn't care enough.

I've been watching Once Upon A Time, and I'm really disappointed. It started out so strong, and it's gone off on a really weird tangent. I only keep watching out of habit, and because I want to know what the fuck is going on, even if it's not particularly good. The costumes are beautiful, though.

Shiny
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Actually I change my mind. I just saw the Season 3 finale of The Walking Dead. Walking Dead is awesome again.

Bunny
03-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Season 3 finale of The Walking Dead.

GIVE ME YOUR TIME MACHINE

Shiny
03-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Hahaha, I mean Season 2. :shifty:

Del Murder
03-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the finale reminded us of how good the show can be. Most the characters are still bitches though.

I have high hopes that Season 3 will introduce a number of new characters so that there can be another wide-scale bloodbath that kills most of them off (along with a few of the main cast too...*cough*Loriandthekid*cough*)

The Man
03-20-2012, 11:51 PM
I keep confusing Grimm & Once Upon a Time. I watched one of the pilots but didn't get any further. What's the point? Both these shows are going to be canceled. As Bunny said, Grimm got renewed already. Once upon a Time is averaging between eight and ten million viewers per episode so I don't see it getting cancelled any time soon either.

Anyway, everything else I would've thought to mention has already been mentioned. Also, how is this the first I've heard about the existence of a Dirk Gently TV series? Awesome.